TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-22-2014, 09:08 AM   #1
fyodor

RCN Roamio-worth an extra 10-15/month?

All,

I'm currently set up with an RCN Tivo Premiere whole home bundle (4 tuner premiere + Tivo Preview).

RCN just announced availability of their Roamio equivalent (T6) in my market. Unfortunately it's going to cost an extra 10-15/month (because of the way billing is set up it's a little opaque). I'm trying to decide if the Roamio package is worth it.

As I understand it the main benefits of the Roamio would be as follows

1. More storage-I have a 1TB external drive and we don't retain a ton of content so the greater storage isn't an issue for me.

2. 6 Tuners vs. 4 - I rarely have tuner conflict and enough of our shows run at multiple times that a little bit of conflict management gets me by.

3. Pause live TV on the mini vs. not on the Tivo Preview: This would be nice but isn't a huge priority for me.

4. Improved interface and speed. How do people feel about this? Is is it a dramatically different experience?

5. Any other benefits? Better video quality? Flattery and compliments? Will sing to my dog when we're out of the house?
fyodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:44 PM   #2
BigJimOutlaw

As nice as the Roamio Plus/T6's are (fast, 6-tuners, RF remote, streaming to iDevices), $50/mo for a T6 and Mini seems like a bit of a ride to me.

Unless you do a lot of VOD, if you dislike your Premiere enough, I'd consider buying a discount code off of ebay and buying a Roamio Plus and Mini with Lifetime ($600 and $175 with code), and after only about a year and a half it'll have broken even with RCN's fees.

Or stay put.

Just my opinion based on their pricing.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:53 PM   #3
fyodor

I do consider getting a retail device, but we like the VOD. My wife uses it a lot. Thanks for the feedback.
fyodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:40 PM   #4
59er
TiVotee

The speed of the interface is much, much, much better on the Roamio. That alone might be worth it. I can say for certain that I'd do it.
59er is offline   Reply With Quote