TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 05-20-2014, 11:18 PM   #1
Bytez
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 226
Switching back to LIVE TV and vice versa in menu

In the menu, when the current channel is on the small preview window on the right corner, switching back to live tv and vice versa is not as seamless as it should be. However, when going back and forth on the guide, it is seamless which makes me wonder if this is a bug. Does the older models exhibit this behavior?

Edit: actually if you go to the guide and press the back key instead of live tv, it won't be seamless. Hmmm...


Last edited by Bytez; 05-20-2014 at 11:27 PM.
Bytez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:23 AM   #2
lgnad
Pantless Mofo
 
lgnad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 639
Yes, The little hiccup occurs in Premiers and Roamios.

__________________
-Roamio Pro/Slide Pro
-Premiere Xl4
-Mini
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:40 AM   #3
Bytez
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 226
That sucks. wasn't like this on the Motorola DVRs.

Bytez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 01:11 AM   #4
lgnad
Pantless Mofo
 
lgnad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 639
Every product, no matter how slick has little glitches/quirks. You can turn off the preview window if it bothers you, or use the app to manage your tivo/fire up recordings, or just completely stay out of the guide and live tv and record everything you want to see via search/wishlists/season passes. Just a few choices off the top of my head

For random example, my Ipad 4 which is supposed to be one of the "slickest" things out there, and which, to me, cost a pretty penny, absolutely sucks since IOS 7 came out. If I fast switch between games, there is like a 40-50% chance it will crash IOS... theres plenty of people complaining about it, but no fix has come out. (or it just logs me out of gamecenter, or the icloud over and over)

__________________
-Roamio Pro/Slide Pro
-Premiere Xl4
-Mini
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 04:58 AM   #5
DeltaOne
Mount Airy, MD
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytez View Post
In the menu, when the current channel is on the small preview window on the right corner, switching back to live tv and vice versa is not as seamless as it should be. However, when going back and forth on the guide, it is seamless which makes me wonder if this is a bug. Does the older models exhibit this behavior?

Edit: actually if you go to the guide and press the back key instead of live tv, it won't be seamless. Hmmm...
Are you pressing Live TV or Zoom?

Using Zoom I don't recall any issues when I switch back to Live TV. Sometimes there's a half-second glitch -- sometimes not. Maybe that's what you're seeing?

DeltaOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:50 PM   #6
aridon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 234
I get that half second or so of drop out and it plays fine. Annoying but not deal breaking.

aridon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:20 PM   #7
Bytez
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaOne View Post
Are you pressing Live TV or Zoom?

Using Zoom I don't recall any issues when I switch back to Live TV. Sometimes there's a half-second glitch -- sometimes not. Maybe that's what you're seeing?
Tried both and same behavior at all times.

Bytez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:33 PM   #8
Bob_Alder
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 16
I often wish to bounce between a recorded program and live TV (Says something about my attention span, huh?). If watching a recording, it's obvious and easy -- just hit the "Live TV" button. But to then switch back to the recorded program you were watching isn't so obvious. But, if you hit the left navigation button (left of "Select" button) it will easily allow you to resume watching that program. OK, it's a two button deal, but quite nice for bouncing back and forth.

The same thing sort of works when watching something for another video provider, e.g. an Amazon movie. Getting back to Live TV is easy (the button), but getting back to resume what you were watching on, say Amazon, is a bit more complicated. Yes, the left navigation button works, but it only take you to the Amazon page where you then have to find the movie you were watching, select it and then "Resume."

Something quicker would be cool. Anyone know of something?

Bob_Alder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 05:58 AM   #9
JoeKustra
Cable only
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ashland, PA 17921 TCD746500/TCD846500
Posts: 1,372
I think the fastest way to live TV from anywhere is to hit the TiVo button then live TV. I've never found a faster way. While leaving the guide via the guide button is quicker than hitting the zoom or live button from TiVo Central, it's not that slow. It could be worse. So could changing channels on any digital television.

JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 05:32 AM   #10
samccfl99
SamCCFL99
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: coconut creek, florida
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Alder View Post
I often wish to bounce between a recorded program and live TV (Says something about my attention span, huh?). If watching a recording, it's obvious and easy -- just hit the "Live TV" button. But to then switch back to the recorded program you were watching isn't so obvious. But, if you hit the left navigation button (left of "Select" button) it will easily allow you to resume watching that program. OK, it's a two button deal, but quite nice for bouncing back and forth.
well i never knew i could go back to the last recording that way. neat and thank you. now if tivo would just put a LAST NINE screen like comcast X1 does that would be good. they need to work on the actual dvr for a change. again, thanks for this post!

samccfl99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:33 PM   #11
jrtroo
User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,273
I will never understand why so many people surf the tuners with a Tivo. Sports or not, unless its a party situation, there is no need. Record everything.

To each their own, so do what you want. I just don't understand why you do it.

__________________
TiVo Owner
jrtroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:10 PM   #12
Bob_Alder
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 16
Because sometimes I actually prefer watching somethings that is live, Maybe a ball game or something else cool but with a short shelf-life. Who wants to not know the outcome of a Bronco game or whatever and get it spoiled for them before they get a chance to watch it? Further it may be something I have absolutely no interest in actually recording and watching later.

But as a big-time spoiled TIVOer, the commercials on live broadcast make me crazy. So I just queue up something interesting already record and then flip back and forth.

Make sense? Works for me. You know, "Watch what you want, when you want to watch it."

Bob_Alder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:57 AM   #13
ej42137
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Alder View Post
Because sometimes I actually prefer watching somethings that is live, Maybe a ball game or something else cool but with a short shelf-life. Who wants to not know the outcome of a Bronco game or whatever and get it spoiled for them before they get a chance to watch it? Further it may be something I have absolutely no interest in actually recording and watching later.

But as a big-time spoiled TIVOer, the commercials on live broadcast make me crazy. So I just queue up something interesting already record and then flip back and forth.

Make sense? Works for me. You know, "Watch what you want, when you want to watch it."
Although I don't agree with the way you watch TV, I will defend with my life your right to do so!

ej42137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump







Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Advertisements





TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media


(C) 2015 DBNet - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:23 AM.
Page generated in 0.08107209 seconds (81.86% PHP - 18.14% MySQL) with 18 queries