TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Suggestion Avenue
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-18-2014, 07:45 PM   #1
ejonesss

mux instead of separate streams when recording

somewhere i heard the boxes save separate m2v and ac3 files when recording.

why cant you mux them into 1 big mpeg or vob.

if there is a size or time limit on vob or mpeg you can use mkv witch is an open format (that's why pirates like using the format when p2p sharing movies (also no license requirements)).

as it stands now when downloading via ttg it muxes the files into a tivo file and if there is a corruption the the download aborts.

if you can use an open format then if there is a corruption there is just a blip and av sync issue for a few seconds until the next block.

you can still encrypt the mkv file to protect the content for amazon purchases or if the channel protects the content.
ejonesss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:38 AM   #2
steve614
what ru lookin at?

TiVo went out of their way to conjure up a proprietary recording system and you want them to just toss it aside? LOL

IIRC, the proprietary recording system is what allows TiVo to do so much more with the DVR than just record shows. Take it away, and the Tivo might not have the processing power to do all the extras. At least that is true with anything older than a Roamio.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 01:00 PM   #3
ejonesss

they still can by encrypting or double packing like a file.mkv.tivo

or at least mux to the tivo file internally to prevent download aborts
ejonesss is offline   Reply With Quote