TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Suggestion Avenue
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-03-2006, 02:22 AM   #1
rem

disable 30 minute buffer on standby

how about a user choice to disable the 30 minute buffer when i deliberatedly put the tivo on standby. this may or may not save on wear and tear on the harddrive, but it certainly quiets down the unit and generates less heat. in addition, transfers are faster between tivos when the buffer is disabled (you can verify by changing the channel to 0).

and then there's this annoying message on the dual-tuner if you place one tuner on channel 0 while watching a show on the other tuner. it informs you that the other tuner is searching for a signal or something similar. that's fine, but the message does not go away while you are watching on the second tuner.

please, tivo. allow us to disable the 30 minute buffer, especially if we intentionally put the tivo into standby state. and get rid of that message, too.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:22 PM   #2
rem

no one interested in this feature at all?
Old 05-08-2006, 10:46 PM   #3
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Personally I don't see a need for it. I wouldn't object, but I don't see it as useful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
megazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 04:45 PM   #4
homertime

The idea of the 30 minute buffer should be totally user defined.

I'm personally annoyed at the fact that when you change the channel you lose your info (I've accidentally hit channel up once or twice when rewinding live TV and lost half of my show)

allowing the user complete access as to how you want your 30 minute buffer used is necessary.

I know it's not perfect, and Tivo is dedicated to customer service, but I'm seriously thinking about changing DVR's once my gift membership is up in 9 months... for $13 a month it should be a better service.
homertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 07:30 PM   #5
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

For $13/month it *is* far better than the alternate DVR offerings. Most of what TiVo does is simply unavailable elsewhere.

|
|
|
megazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:59 PM   #6
lazarus000

Quote:
Originally Posted by megazone View Post
Personally I don't see a need for it. I wouldn't object, but I don't see it as useful.
how about reducing the life of hard drive and TiVo unit?

I don't see a point in buffering live tv 24/7/365 even when the unit isn't sending a video signal.

so people can wakeup and just happen to get lucky and have a show buffered they are going to watch? Silly.

When a unit goes into standby mode the live buffering should stop.

No video showing = No video buffering needed

At least give us the option in the settings:

'Live buffering in standby mode - Off or ON'
lazarus000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:17 AM   #7
jrtroo
User

You are resurrecting a thread from 2006 for this? You must have been searching, right, and seen a new thread on this topic every other month for the intervening 8 years?