TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-09-2014, 11:39 PM   #1
geekmedic
TiVo Fanatic

KMTTG Help

I would like to use KMTTG to back up my TiVo shows to my Synology NAS.

What encoding profile should I use if all I want to do is to have things on the NAS to put back on the TiVo in case of a hard drive failure or if I purchase another TiVo? I would like to back things up on a weekly basis.

I also have some Baby Einstein videos scanned into my computer to access on the AppleTV. Is there a way I can use KMTTG to place these videos on the TiVo to avoid needing to switch to the AppleTV? If so, how should I encode them to place them on the TiVo?

Thanks!
Old 05-09-2014, 11:54 PM   #2
Bytez

Is it possible just to retrieve the raw videos using KMTTG without encoding at all?
Bytez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:56 PM   #3
geekmedic
TiVo Fanatic

How do I do that?
Old 05-10-2014, 12:06 AM   #4
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmedic View Post
What encoding profile should I use if all I want to do is to have things on the NAS to put back on the TiVo in case of a hard drive failure or if I purchase another TiVo? I would like to back things up on a weekly basis.
You don't need to enable any task at all for backup. With no tasks enabled kmttg will simply just download to a .TiVo file which can then be transferred back to TiVos on your network.

Quote:
I also have some Baby Einstein videos scanned into my computer to access on the AppleTV. Is there a way I can use KMTTG to place these videos on the TiVo to avoid needing to switch to the AppleTV? If so, how should I encode them to place them on the TiVo?
Use pyTivo software to transfer any video to your TiVos, including the .TiVo files you created as backups using kmttg. For TiVo incompatible videos pyTivo will automatically transcode to a compatible format for you during transfer, so you don't have to re-encode to anything else in order to transfer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 01:53 AM   #5
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

You could just enable "decrypt" and then it will just be a .MPG and anything that plays .MPG will work. A .TiVo file is an encrypted .MPG file with the Media Access Key, so only the Tivos on your network will work on it.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 07:32 AM   #6
kbmb

I've started using kmttg to backup as well and I'm actually using the Transprt Stream Format to speed up transfers. kmttg's decrypt won't work on these but I have a copy of the old DsdDebug program on Windows that will remove the encryption if needed.

-Kevin
kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:23 AM   #7
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
I've started using kmttg to backup as well and I'm actually using the Transprt Stream Format to speed up transfers. kmttg's decrypt won't work on these but I have a copy of the old DsdDebug program on Windows that will remove the encryption if needed.

-Kevin
While it slower, there is a benefit of using the PS format transfer as otherwise I believe you will need videoredo to decrypt them, not sure about dsddebug. It's not that much faster if you chose the slower transfer speed. If you use fpmeg in Kmttg you will need to use the slower transfer method, basically nothing else is necessary to decrypt if you use the slower transfer rate, just takes a little longer but we'll worth it unless you have a massive amount of recordings to transfer, it's only about 10-20% faster so with a hour recording, it might transfer 5 minute faster.

Also, with the TS format you might lose the multiple ac3 sound track and be limited to 2 channel stereo when converted, the slower PS format transfer will preserve the full digital Dolby sound track if it's present.
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 12:27 PM   #8
kbmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post
While it slower, there is a benefit of using the PS format transfer as otherwise I believe you will need videoredo to decrypt them, not sure about dsddebug. It's not that much faster if you chose the slower transfer speed. If you use fpmeg in Kmttg you will need to use the slower transfer method, basically nothing else is necessary to decrypt if you use the slower transfer rate, just takes a little longer but we'll worth it unless you have a massive amount of recordings to transfer, it's only about 10-20% faster so with a hour recording, it might transfer 5 minute faster.

Also, with the TS format you might lose the multiple ac3 sound track and be limited to 2 channel stereo when converted, the slower PS format transfer will preserve the full digital Dolby sound track if it's present.
Thanks for the info. Right now I have no need to decrypt.....the only reason I'm backing up is in case the Tivo drive dies.....I don't have any plans to move away from Tivo right now.

I agree, it's not a ton faster, maybe I'll turn it off to be safe.

-Kevin
Old 05-10-2014, 01:40 PM   #9
moyekj

The down side of PS .TiVo files is if you transfer them back as is to TiVo series 4 or later you lose captions. It's still possible to return them to TiVo with captions, but you'll have to decrypt and transfer back with pyTiVo and ts=on setting for that.

Old 05-10-2014, 02:47 PM   #10
geekmedic
TiVo Fanatic

OK, I'm an idiot when it comes to transferring files to and from the TiVo. I've never done it before.

I see there are some pyTiVo options in the config area of KMTTG. Will KMTTG transfer from Mac to TiVo, or do I need to download pyTiVo?
Old 05-10-2014, 03:25 PM   #11
moyekj

pyTivo is separate software that needs to be installed. Follow these instructions to install on Mac:
http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/wiki/i...c_OS_X_Install

Old 05-10-2014, 04:13 PM   #12
geekmedic
TiVo Fanatic

I think I overheated the Roamio or somehow caused a crash while copying files to my NAS. Had rented a movie using On Demand, then hit the TiVo button and started playing Dora the Explorer when the baby awakened. It started playing Dora for about 10 seconds, then made a static sound, then rebooted. KMTTG was in the process of transferring files. (Wonder if I started watching a file it was transferring?)

This is the first Roamio reboot since the 20.4 update, so hopefully this isn't a hint of things to come.
Old 05-10-2014, 04:15 PM   #13
geekmedic
TiVo Fanatic

Nope, just had another reboot!
Old 05-14-2014, 02:28 PM   #14
mwtvc3

dsdebug

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post

-Kevin
Looks like the original website that housed dsddebug (or is it dsdebug?) is gone; any pointers on where this can be found now?
mwtvc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:47 PM   #15
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwtvc3 View Post
Looks like the original website that housed dsddebug (or is it dsdebug?) is gone; any pointers on where this can be found now?
Perhaps someone will help but I haven't heard of that, is that a old tool? If you are just wanting to pull content down off your Tivo? If so, Kmttg has all you need to decrypt .Tivo files.

I'm getting confused as it appears we at least three users doing three different things...

Geekmedic - it sounds like your reboots are the spring update issues, at least with the static noise lockup and reboot, also the spring update slowed transfers down a little too. There is options in Kmttg for pyTivo and it can use pyTivo to automatically push decrypted content back to the Tivo after say, commercials have been cut, it's not required but the two can work together otherwise Kmttg will just pull, pyTivo can pull and push.

For the Mac there cTivo I believe, but I know nothing about it other than: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=503495
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:44 PM   #16
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I've never heard of dsddebug. Did you mean DirectShow Dump?

I can attest that DSD will handle TS-format .TiVo files.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:12 PM   #17
kbmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
I've never heard of dsddebug. Did you mean DirectShow Dump?

I can attest that DSD will handle TS-format .TiVo files.
Yeah sorry, that's the actual name of the program. The dsddebug was the installer file.

-Kevin
Old 05-15-2014, 03:25 PM   #18
bankshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post
For the Mac there cTivo I believe, but I know nothing about it other than: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=503495
For simple transfers and decrypting/encoding, cTiVo has a much friendlier (native Mac) user interface than kmttg. I would generally recommend it over kmttg to Mac users who just want a simple way to get their recordings off of the TiVo.

However for the particular application of sending recordings back to the TiVo (later via pyTiVo), the current version of cTiVo has a bug that screws up the seriesId entry in the metadata text file. This means all shows transferred back to the TiVo won't go in their proper series folders unless you manually fix the text files. So I wouldn't recommend it for the purposes in this thread.

[The fix to cTiVo is very simple; I grabbed a copy of the source code and fixed it for myself. I just need to open a ticket with the developers to let them know about it...]
bankshot is offline   Reply With Quote