TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-11-2014, 11:09 PM   #1
AAinCal

TWC + SDV weirdness on Roamio Plus

I'm on TWC in Southern California. Today, I'm seeing something new to me on many, but not all, SDV channels. The picture is coming out "scrambled". In other words there is a picture there that you can barely make out, but it has very high levels of digital artifacts. There is no TiVo error message and also no audio. I don't think it's the tuning adapter itself, because some SDV channels do come in just fine.

I called the TWC cablecard number, and the very polite young lady there went through the TA diagnostic screen with me and sent a reset to the device from her end, all to no effect. She suggested swapping out the TA.

Has anyone else seen this before? Any suggestions?
AAinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 12:25 AM   #2
tarheelblue32

You can try switching out the tuning adapter, but honestly I think it's unlikely that is the problem. All the tuning adapter does is send out a signal to tell the TWC equipment out at the street to send through the channel you want. And since you say the channel is coming through, albeit distorted, the tuning adapter has clearly done its job properly. It's more likely to be either a problem with the TWC equipment out at the road, or signal interference on certain frequencies taking place somewhere along the line. This problem will probably require a truck roll.

Do you have a TWC cable box? If you don't have one, you might want to go pick one up temporarily to see if it has the same problems on those SDV channels. If it does, you would at least know the problem is not being caused by either the tuning adapter or the Roamio.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 01:29 AM   #3
AAinCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
Do you have a TWC cable box? If you don't have one, you might want to go pick one up temporarily to see if it has the same problems on those SDV channels. If it does, you would at least know the problem is not being caused by either the tuning adapter or the Roamio.
That sounds like a good idea. I'll pick up a cable box first. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:53 AM   #4
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

It still could be interference caused by a faulty TA, depending on how your cable is set up. It's not too likely, but perhaps the tech had reasons for her diagnosis.

If your cable is going from wall to TA and then to the TV, either a physical connection problem, or electrical problems inside the TA might be an issue. You can install a splitter before the TA to try this out (all to splitter, then one branch to TV and one branch to TA). The TA just needs to be connected to the TiVo via USB - you don't need a coax cable between the TA and TV.

Have you checked DVR Diagnostics (under Account and System Info) for corrected and uncorrected errors? That will verify that your signal is being distorted, and that it's not something like output from the TiVo to the TV that's the problem.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:34 PM   #5
AAinCal

Well, the problem fixed itself. I'm guessing the issue was on TWC's end rather than mine.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:17 PM   #6
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAinCal View Post
Well, the problem fixed itself. I'm guessing the issue was on TWC's end rather than mine.
Sounds very likely. If you really want to know for sure, you could ask around to some of your neighbors and see if they were experiencing a similar issue. I'm willing to bet they probably were and someone called TWC to complain and they sent someone out to fix it.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote