TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-12-2014, 01:51 PM   #1
scotchburg

Roamio Install Location & Signal Strength

Hello gents. Question about cabling, signal strength and Roamio install location. To start off simple, my real question is whether its best to install the Roamio at the location that has the best signal strength (via coax) in the house? or does it not really matter for interacting with the minis. I will have 1 Roamio Plus and 3 minis. only one location has access to an ethernet cable.

I have Fios (plan on using moca and actiontec router, etc.) and the original home owner was an idiot and didn't install cable in 3 rooms that you would normally want cable. I have since corrected that problem but the coax runs are really long and based on previous random occurrences of pixelation I think the signal strength is right on the fence in those 3 locations. One of those 3 locations is where i would ideally (= wife wants it there) set up the Roamio but it isn't near the router so i can't use ethernet at that location. I would have to rely on the coax. Since the minis get all data from the roamio i'm worried that if i install the roamio in any location other than the initial/original install location (basement family room) that has the strongest signal I could affect the performance of all the minis.

My other question is whether the tivo minis are more or less touchy when it comes to signal strength and connectivity to the roamio, compared to a standalone verizon fios STB that is receiving its own signal? I'm talking about the cable drop locations at the end of those LONG runs..something tells me a direct signal to a fios box is theoretically "cleaner" than getting the programming on one device and sending it to another (such as roamio >> mini does). i'm just worried that my cabling situation is going to cause me a bunch of problems, or since my fios works with its own equipment should i feel confident that the tivo equipment will work just as well given its setup? I'm also not discounting the fact that i could be totally clueless about how this all works and need some good education from you all..

I'm guessing its going to come down to trial and error but if someone can give feedback as to whether i should even try to install the roamio at a location other than the initial coax drop where the router also is, I would appreciate any advice or suggestions.

Thanks, and stay thirsty my friends
scotchburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:20 PM   #2
leepoffaith

I'm not sure about whether the Tivo Mini is more touchy then a FiOS STB, but I can say that they are different signals. The STB uses the signal from the ONT and decodes it within the box and the Mini is doing nothing but receiving the already decoded TV signal from the Roamio. Take a look in the Network settings and see what the Tx and Rx signals are to and from the Roamio. From what I've read they have to be 180 or more to get a good picture. Unless you are talking about runs of more then 100ft distance really shouldn't be too much of an issue. Normally the thing causing the problem is the splitter. Old splitters or ones that are rating less than 1ghz should be replaced. Hopefully that would help!

Verizon FiOS TV Prime
Fully Loaded Entertainment Package
Verizon FiOS 75/35 Internet
leepoffaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:34 PM   #3
scotchburg

thanks! I'll be sure to check that out. I'm jumping the gun here as I still don't have the Tivo equipment (shipped today) so for now i'm just trying to plan out where i'm going to put each box and be proactive about any issues i may encounter.
scotchburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:37 PM   #4
leepoffaith

Moca is a pretty neat networking protocol. As long as you received clear TV with your STBs or direct cable connection then you should be OK. It's always good to plan for possible issues though.

Verizon FiOS TV Prime
Fully Loaded Entertainment Package
Verizon FiOS 75/35 Internet
leepoffaith is offline   Reply With Quote