TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-11-2014, 08:28 PM   #8971
telemark

I generally agree with everything everyone recently said, and summarize there's some variance based on what the agent you're letting make the changes thinks is the right way.

And there's a few different billing codes that are $10-ish.

I did think in theory there was a SD additional outlet fee that's $2.50 instead of $10, but they'll likely tell you that's only for additional DTA's. (I don't feel this conforms with the FCC promises). Things change over time in any case.

One last caveat is, whatever the agent tells you, well, a different computer prints up the bills. So there is no certainty as to what they say will happen, will actually show up that way on the bill. But at least at that point you know what to say to tell them to fix the billing.

PS. Here's why I feel the 2nd card is suppose to be free. To get the Encryption Order Comcast promised free equipment.

According to their FAQ, a CableCard is one of the options instead of a DTA:
http://customer.comcast.com/help-and...ic-encryption/

Households were offered 1 STB and 2 DTA's for free. Opting for CableCards on all three instead would be 3 CableCards for Free, and 3 Customer Owned Equipment credits.

Last edited by telemark : 05-11-2014 at 08:49 PM.
telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:57 PM   #8972
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemark View Post
Households were offered 1 STB and 2 DTA's for free. Opting for CableCards on all three instead would be 3 CableCards for Free, and 3 Customer Owned Equipment credits.
Only if you want to receive just the channels the DTA receives (e.g., note that the FAQ title mentions limited basic).
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:34 PM   #8973
lpwcomp

From the faq:

"Limited Basic customers who currently do not have equipment on their account are eligible for up to two (2) DTAs, at no charge for two (2) years (five years if you also receive Medicaid) if they request DTAs during the equipment offer period at or around the time of encryption."

"Customers who subscribe to a higher level of service and receive Limited Basic service on a secondary TV without Comcast supplied equipment are eligible for one device at no charge for one year."

Neither applies hers.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 10:25 PM   #8974
telemark

Ok, I see your points, but by that logic and language a 2nd TV via CableCard should be free when restricted to the Limited Basic line up.

And I don't believe that's an actual option.

It would be a good option for some households to add extra tuners.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:13 PM   #8975
lpwcomp

Quote:
Ok, I see your points, but by that logic and language a 2nd TV via CableCard should be free when restricted to the Limited Basic line up.

And I don't believe that's an actual option.

It would be a good option for some households to add extra tuners.
Yes,the key phrases being "existing customers" and "add tuners"

Old 05-12-2014, 08:02 AM   #8976
Beryl

Quote:
One last caveat is, whatever the agent tells you, well, a different computer prints up the bills. So there is no certainty as to what they say will happen, will actually show up that way on the bill. But at least at that point you know what to say to tell them to fix the billing.
Exactly right.

Comcast makes lots of commitments which go unfulfilled but the one thing you can count on is their bill. I got my first one for the 4/30 install on 5/8. Hopefully, I'll have full service by the time it is due.
Old 05-12-2014, 12:21 PM   #8977
wmgoat

No OnDemand with cable card?

My Comcast OnDemand (channel 1) never has worked. It wasnt a big deal since I rarely watch it on my cable card Tivo. But this weekend, I stopped a movie I started on another set, and was supposed to be able to pick it up again on another set. When I dialed in the OnDemand channel on the cablecard box, it gave me an error (Problem with the signal on this channel. Trying again V53)

So I called the cable card team at Comcast. Usually very efficient and effective, but this time I got an answer Im not happy about.

It seems that OnDemand doesnt work with cable cards, at least in the Chicago Metro area. The representative, verified it with their Billing department. So Im asking you other Tivo people if you have the same problems.

If you have a cable card and Comcast, can you get OnDemand? If you can, what do you suggest that I do to make it work? Also, pls let me know if you are in another state (other than IL), since the issue may be localized by state.

Many thanks.
wmgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 12:25 PM   #8978
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

It's becoming available everywhere but not all at once.
Old 05-12-2014, 12:45 PM   #8979
Beryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmgoat View Post

If you have a cable card and Comcast, can you get OnDemand? If you can, what do you suggest that I do to make it work? Also, pls let me know if you are in another state (other than IL), since the issue may be localized by state.
I got OnDemand in the Denver market. I'll know soon if it works in the Houston one.

OnDemand is one of the reasons I paid for their "stupid box" before I got a Roku. I won't pay for it now because most content is available via Hulu-free via PlayOn or SS-Plex (torrent stuff and I don't think it is stealing when accessing content I've already paid to see).
Old 05-12-2014, 02:16 PM   #8980
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdhenry View Post
It's becoming available everywhere but not all at once.
It's also not accessible by tuning to channel 1, even in areas where it is available. It's through a separate menu, like Netflix is.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 03:21 PM   #8981
CraigK
(unspecified)

Also it's only available on Roamio and Premiere TiVos.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:46 PM   #8982
moedaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Beryl,

I'm guessing it's too late, but they are not actually charging for the CableCARD, but for the outlet.

You should have gotten a $2.50/mo "Customer Owned Equipment" credit for each of the TiVos AND, if you had none of their boxes, you should have only been charged one "Additional Digital Outlet" fee, so your net charge for the TiVos should have been $7.45/mo, not $19.90 as one of the TiVos would have been your primary outlet.
The package I have with Comcast comes with a free HD STB as the base equipment. I also receive the $2.50 CC credit. So for one HD receiver and two Tivo's, I'm paying a total of -$5.00 for tv equipment!
moedaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:43 PM   #8983
telemark

I'm told the ZIP code checker is kept up to date:
https://www.tivo.com/discover/cable

If your ZIP is in there and it's missing, then your account needs to be fixed.
And if not in there, then you have to wait.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:57 PM   #8984
lpwcomp

Quote:
I'm told the ZIP code checker is kept up to date:
https://www.tivo.com/discover/cable

If your ZIP is in there and it's missing, then your account needs to be fixed.
And if not in there, then you have to wait.
You were partially misinformed. My ZIP isn't in there and I do have VOD on both my Premiere and Roamio.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:01 AM   #8985
chiguy50

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmgoat View Post
My Comcast OnDemand (channel 1) never has worked. It wasnt a big deal since I rarely watch it on my cable card Tivo. But this weekend, I stopped a movie I started on another set, and was supposed to be able to pick it up again on another set. When I dialed in the OnDemand channel on the cablecard box, it gave me an error (Problem with the signal on this channel. Trying again V53)

So I called the cable card team at Comcast. Usually very efficient and effective, but this time I got an answer Im not happy about.

It seems that OnDemand doesnt work with cable cards, at least in the Chicago Metro area. The representative, verified it with their Billing department. So Im asking you other Tivo people if you have the same problems.

Many thanks.
I'm unaware of craigk's caveat regarding the non-accessibility on Series3 TiVo's as I have Premieres.

Otherwise, as morac has already indicated, you can access Comcast's Xfinity On Demand (XOD) feature on your TiVo via the XOD menu option. You can find it at TiVo Central under "Find TV, Movies & Videos," and it will also list under "My Shows" if XOD is enabled (the default setting) under Settings & Messages > Settings > Channels > My Video Providers.

Note, however, that other users in the Chicagoland area have had issues recently getting XOD to work on their Roamios, and this issue might relate to your situation as well. See this thread (post #29 and following).
chiguy50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:36 AM   #8986
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
I told him that the work order states for him to bring cablecards. He said that they no longer are allowed to carry them on their trucks.
So how do they get them to you?

When I signed up here in VA a truck roll was the only way to get a cable card. The store didn't have any and they wouldn't mail it to me.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:57 AM   #8987
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

The FCC added a requirement for you to have the option for self-install (making a truck roll no longer required) so maybe Comcast's response was to make all Cable Cards distributed by customer pickup at the office since some/most of them would be picked up this way.

This makes sense if the customer experience is a few notches down in priority...
Old 05-13-2014, 10:21 AM   #8988
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

This was just a couple of months ago, but there was no charge for the appointment.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:27 PM   #8989
Beryl

Official Comcast CableCard Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdhenry View Post
The FCC added a requirement for you to have the option for self-install (making a truck roll no longer required) so maybe Comcast's response was to make all Cable Cards distributed by customer pickup at the office since some/most of them would be picked up this way.

This makes sense if the customer experience is a few notches down in priority...

And they can jack up rental fees.

Yesterday, I went to another store to return the "stupid box" and get a couple of cards. (Antenna works so well that I decided to use that on my old HDLX.)

The rep didn't understand why I was returning it since "it costs the same". I briefly tried to explain and just gave up and took the cards home. I told her that customer service already put the charge on my account and told me that all I needed was to get the cards.

5 calls and 3 hours later, my subscribed channels came through on both Tivos. (They got one to work and that stopped the other from working. We went back and forth like that for 2 hours.)

I saw this email come through so the charges haven't been jacked up. I'll know for sure with the first real bill.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400024194.391892.jpg
Old 05-13-2014, 06:38 PM   #8990
Beryl

Quote:
You were partially misinformed. My ZIP isn't in there and I do have VOD on both my Premiere and Roamio.

Sadly, it is accurate for my zip. No biggie since I don't subscribed to premium channels and not fond of OnDemand with free TV channels (too many commercials).
Old 05-16-2014, 07:28 PM   #8991
lexsar

I just purchased a used Tivo Premiere XL4 (with lifetime!) from someone at work. After my first experience with my TivoHD and Comcast, along with the many horror stories here in the forums; I expected the worst. However, I was delightfully surprised with my experience this time.

I first ran the guided setup and then went and picked up a cable card self install kit from my local Comcast office. I followed the instructions in the kit and called Comcast's Cable Card Activation number listed in the kit. We had it paired and working within 10 minutes. Got all channels including premiums. Double checked the existing TivoHD to be sure that nothing went south there, but all was well.

All in all, a good experience this time.
1 - Tivo Premiere XL4 - Unmodded
1 - HTPC (homebrew) running Win7 Ultimate
lexsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 02:16 PM   #8992
Beryl

Comcast is not billing me at all for the cablecards thanks to the Indian CSRs. They just didn't remove the modem charge but did remove the days that I didn't have television on my Tivos (about the same amount). Fortunately, they gave me a modem receipt (saved to Evernote). Hope the bill stays this way for at least the first year
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401391567.444132.jpg
Old 06-02-2014, 12:48 PM   #8993
ChicagoGuy

TiVo Mini in Bedroom

Great forum; kudos to all the knowledgeable contributors. I just bought a new place here in Chicago, and have decided to go the route of Comcast and purchase my own TiVos, rather than Comact Xfinity AnyRoom. My plan is:

- Internet, Blast, up to 50Mbps, with my own modem
- TV, Digital Starter 140+ channels
- Roamio Plus (6 tuners) in Living room (with Lifetime) with Comcast cable card
- TiVo Mini in Bedroom (with Lifetime)

1. Can Comcast tell (via the cable card or some other fashion) that I have the Mini in the bedroom streaming from Plus (if I don't tell them)?
2. Since the Mini doesn't require a cable card, I assume there would not be a Comcast fee for the bedroom setup right?
3. I haven't moved in yet, so I'm not sure if I'll connect the Mini via MoCA or Ethernet. Would this make a difference from a Comcast perspective (either cable card or billing)?
4. Even though I won't have an X1 Platform, I'll still be billed the $9.95 HD Technology fee, but nothing for the cable card, correct?

Thanks,
Steve
ChicagoGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:20 PM   #8994
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

1. Pretty sure no.
2. No fee for the Mini. It's not a TV tuner.
3. Comcast shouldn't care. They'll only know about the device with the cable card. MoCA uses the same physical medium but doesn't involve Comcast.
4. No HD Technology fee - that's a fee for renting an HD-capable STB - unless you get someone clueless setting your fees. If they try to charge it tell them you don;t want that stuff - they don't actually authorize the HD channels separately within a tier.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:29 PM   #8995
Beryl

You are probably spot on, @pdhenry. ChicagoGuy's bill should look like mine without the add'l outlet fee and maybe a $2.50 credit for customer owned equipment. (I didn't get that but I won't complain since I'm not paying for the cable cards.)
Old 06-05-2014, 11:50 AM   #8996
ChicagoGuy

Thanks.
ChicagoGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 06:09 PM   #8997
morac
Cat God

Well Comcast decided to screw me over. I had called Comcast for a support issue and while on the call they said I could save money by switching to triple play. I didn't really want to, but initially agreed. I later changed my mind. I spoke to someone who put my account back to the way it was and got me a retention credit for $15 a month.

That was April. Imagine my surprise when my June bill showed up and it was higher than my April bill by $6. Well Comcast tacked a $19.90 additional outlet fee onto my account and lowered my credit (which was wrong since I have 3 cards and not 4).

I called Comcast and was told the $19.90 for 2 cable boxes, which I don't have. I'm aware of the additional outlet fees that Comcast charges in some areas, but in my area they've never done so. I even still have an additional outlet charge of $0 on my bill in addition to the $19.90 charge.

I contested the bill with Comcast, but I have a feeling I'm going to end up getting screwed anyway. What's really annoying is that I only have 2 TVs.

I attached my pre and post version of the TV part of my bill. The new TV total is $117.53. The old was 98.53, so it's $19 more ($4 (plus tax) with my $15 credit).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (62.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg image-2511224424.jpg (60.5 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by morac : 06-07-2014 at 06:14 PM.
Old 06-08-2014, 12:34 AM   #8998
lpwcomp

You don't appear to have any of their HD boxes, so you shouldn't be charged the "HD Technology" fee.

Old 06-09-2014, 10:26 AM   #8999
morac
Cat God

Quote:
You don't appear to have any of their HD boxes, so you shouldn't be charged the "HD Technology" fee.
I've had that argument with Comcast before. They said the "HD Technology" fee is "required" to get HD service. They refuse to remove it despite the fact that I haven't had a HD box from them for many years.

With them charging the Outlet fee now, maybe I'll try and press the argument again. The problem is that Comcast completely outsourced their entire phone support department to India. There's no way to speak to a Comcast employee anymore, even for billing issues.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:43 AM   #9000
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
I've had that argument with Comcast before. They said the "HD Technology" fee is "required" to get HD service. They refuse to remove it despite the fact that I haven't had a HD box from them for many years.

With them charging the Outlet fee now, maybe I'll try and press the argument again. The problem is that Comcast completely outsourced their entire phone support department to India. There's no way to speak to a Comcast employee anymore, even for billing issues.
If they added it to my account, I'd tell them to remove it and be damned. In the unlikely event that I actually lost access to any HD channels in my package, I'd file a complaint with the FCC.