TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-09-2014, 05:46 PM   #1
tvmaster2

promotions for transferring lifetime service

We have three Premiere's with Lifetime, none of which EVER lived up to Tivo's claims of fantastic software upgrades - they're sluggish and aggravating.

So I'm looking at the Roamio Plus, because the streaming thing seems interesting, but they are cost-prohibitive with Lifetime service added.

Question: has anyone ever hit on a promotion, or the right talking-point, and been able to get TiVo to transfer a Lifetime contract to a new, Roamio machine?

I gave it the old college try, but there were currently no promotions...any angles?
tvmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:55 PM   #2
WhiskeyTango

Not likely. They only tend to offer such promos when trying to get owners of old units to upgrade. They had one a few months ago for owners of only S2's to upgrade. If you also had anything newer you didn't qualify. You aren't likely to get an upgrade offer going from a S4 to a S5. That's not how they make their money.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:26 PM   #3
aaronwt
HD Addict

Sell your lifetime Premieres to cover most of the cost of a Roamio with lifetime and two Minis with lifetime.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:12 PM   #4
aridon

Sell the POS premier boxes and go to ebay and pick up one of the "tivo coupon code" for huge savings.
aridon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 03:44 AM   #5
Finalrinse

I sold my Lifetime Premiere 4 with 2TB hard drive last month on eBay for $546. I also sold two other TiVo's last year for top price. Lifetime TiVo's do well on eBay.
My Premiere Example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/221402355580...84.m1559.l2649
Finalrinse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:32 AM   #6
tvmaster2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finalrinse View Post
I sold my Lifetime Premiere 4 with 2TB hard drive last month on eBay for $546. I also sold two other TiVo's last year for top price. Lifetime TiVo's do well on eBay.
My Premiere Example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/221402355580...84.m1559.l2649
the last two I bookmarked sold for just over $300 (I only have stock or 1TB drive updates).
And the cable company slowly keeps catching up with their new, 6 tuner DVR. Sure, the software isn't as elegant - but they go out of their way to get you on-board.
Next time I call TiVo I'll try and point that out
Old 05-11-2014, 09:38 AM   #7
tvmaster2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Sell your lifetime Premieres to cover most of the cost of a Roamio with lifetime and two Minis with lifetime.
and that will simulate the three, Lifetime units I currently own?

For example, I could be recording six programs, simultaneously, while watching recorded material in all three rooms?
Old 05-11-2014, 10:15 AM   #8
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
and that will simulate the three, Lifetime units I currently own?

For example, I could be recording six programs, simultaneously, while watching recorded material in all three rooms?
Yes.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 12:56 PM   #9
tvmaster2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
Not likely. They only tend to offer such promos when trying to get owners of old units to upgrade. They had one a few months ago for owners of only S2's to upgrade. If you also had anything newer you didn't qualify. You aren't likely to get an upgrade offer going from a S4 to a S5. That's not how they make their money.
I do still have a couple of S2's with Lifetime, but from what you're saying, if you also have some Premiere's then TiVo isn't likely to offer you anything for the S2's, upgrade-wise?