TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-10-2014, 11:19 PM   #1
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

No more Glow remotes?

I was just browsing the Tivo store to check prices on remotes, I noticed that the Glow remote is no longer listed. I guess they are no longer selling them???

So the only Tivo learning remote is the Slide Pro?? I suspect a small percentage of Tivo users may use the learning function but if only the Slide pro has it, how hard would it have been to include it in the newer base Roamio remote too esp if they appear to have discontinued the Glow remote?

That makes sense now why Tivo sent me one for free a couple months ago, they knew then that they were getting rid of them.
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:40 PM   #2
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

I wonder when the Mini will start shipping with a Roamio style remote, set to use IR. It just makes it confusing for new customers to have different remote layouts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:20 AM   #3
supasta

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
I wonder when the Mini will start shipping with a Roamio style remote, set to use IR. It just makes it confusing for new customers to have different remote layouts.
The would be great. I am quite interested in the Roamio IR remote for my Mini.

Note that the Mini currently comes with a standard remote, not a Glo.

XBOX LIVE: fiftyfootfang
supasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 02:55 PM   #4
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

As far as including the new-style remote with the mini:
It would depend on the cost of the newer remote vs. the cost of manufacturing/stocking the old remote... and whether they are locked into a contract with a manufacturer to keep making the old ones a while... Im sure Premieres are still being made, to meet the needs to cable co contracts.

Other problems are that people using Minis with Premieres probably prefer the older style remote for consistency and the cable companies that use Tivos Im sure prefer consistent remotes

If they switch remotes to the newer style, they should include the receiver. Unless they did something stupid with the design, it should be super cheap to make.
-------
As far as upgrading the default Roamio remotes to slides, I'm sure the slide costs more than twice as much as the base remote, with the mechanical complexity and learning functionality...
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 04:01 PM   #5
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgnad View Post
As far as including the new-style remote with the mini:
It would depend on the cost of the newer remote vs. the cost of manufacturing/stocking the old remote... and whether they are locked into a contract with a manufacturer to keep making the old ones a while... Im sure Premieres are still being made, to meet the needs to cable co contracts.

Other problems are that people using Minis with Premieres probably prefer the older style remote for consistency and the cable companies that use Tivos Im sure prefer consistent remotes

If they switch remotes to the newer style, they should include the receiver. Unless they did something stupid with the design, it should be super cheap to make.
-------
As far as upgrading the default Roamio remotes to slides, I'm sure the slide costs more than twice as much as the base remote, with the mechanical complexity and learning functionality...
With the new Roamio style remote which unless there is some type of incompatibility with older Tivos, I don't see why they still offer the older remote esp since they no longer offer the glow remote other than of course the cable companies Tivo solution. They are selling the old and new remote for the same price and other than a change in a few button's location there isn't much difference unless there is something I'm missing. It may just come down to having a huge inventory of the old remotes but that wouldn't explain why they aren't offering the glow remote. It could also do related to Tivo getting out of the hardware business, who knows what type of Tivo remote will be available in ten years from now but you have to admit the old style has been successful as your 10 year old series 2 remote can still operate the newest series 5 Tivo at least for most basic functions in IR mode.

I would have bought several of the glow remotes had I known they wouldn't be offered any longer, I personally believe the glow remote is ten times better than the standard remote, now with the slide pro being the only choice if you need a learning remote is nuts, the new Roamio style remote appears to be a good remote but they won't work with the cable companies Tivo Premiere's style. This is how I stumbled across this in the first place as a friend of mine wanted a learning remote as while they rented the cable company TiVo, they were willing to buy the better glow remote and even considered the slide pro but in testing their Premiere Q, we found that only the Glow worked with it. This was Mediacom, other cable companies Tivo solution might be different
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote