TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-02-2014, 03:12 PM   #31
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
Laws can (and should) be changed.

But even under current law, I think the standard is whether or not the merger will reduce competition and hurt consumers. There is no doubt that this merger would indeed reduce competition. Right now I can get TV from either Time Warner Cable, Dish Network, DirecTV, or AT&T U-verse. A merger between DirecTV and AT&T would reduce my choices from 4 to 3. Coincidentally, that is the same amount that competition would have been reduced for me in wireless if AT&T had been allowed to merge with T-Mobile. That merger, thankfully, was stopped by regulators. If going from 4 to 3 competitors in the wireless market was seen as an unacceptable reduction in competition, then I certainly think going from 4 to 3 paid TV competitors should be also.
Must be nice to live where you do. I have the choice of 2 pay TV operators (Dish or Direct) and 1 wired Internet provider (Frontier DSL).

But honestly I think most people have 3 pay TV choices and 2 wired Internet choices so you and I are exception on opposite ends.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:19 PM   #32
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
Must be nice to live where you do. I have the choice of 2 pay TV operators (Dish or Direct) and 1 wired Internet provider (Frontier DSL).

But honestly I think most people have 3 pay TV choices and 2 wired Internet choices so you and I are exception on opposite ends.
Even though not everybody has access to all of the providers, the fact that providers set their prices nationally (or across all markets they serve) means that competition on markets other than your own can still have a beneficial effect to you. The more consolidation that takes place in the telecommunications industry, even if your markets aren't directly impacted, the worse the overall competition picture will become resulting in increased prices for consumers.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:36 PM   #33
JosephB

Just because a transaction reduces the number of competitors doesn't mean it will automatically be blocked. In *most* areas the number of competitors in the MVPD market won't change at all. In the areas where AT&T actually does have U-Verse TV, the market will go from at least 4 to at least 3, which is the number of competitors there were before AT&T got into the market.

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
JosephB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:23 PM   #34
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post
Of course, from my understanding, ANY DSL still can't compete with cable internet either. Uverse in my area caps out at 18Mbs.
Except for in price.. I have no idea how much speed one needs for e.g. Netflix (esp multiple streams), but if DSL is fast enough for that, I think for most people it would be "enough".

At least from the ads I've seen, U-verse seems to *sometimes* be allowing naked DSL for the advertised $19.99 or whatever. (For a long time, in the fine print, they'd say they require a home phone line for that price.) I realize this is only a halfhearted endorsement, but I'm all for cheaper/slower combinations, for those it would be good enough.

(I have cable internet + TV, but if DSL was enough for me and DSL + cable TV was cheaper, I'd do it.. currently I'm on a bundle that's I think cheaper than that though.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:28 PM   #35
True Colors

AT&T is not going to pay to extend fiber into homes JUST because it would be nice to have. Profit based businesses do not operate that way.

Businesses need to be able to justify spending extra money by showing an expected return on investment. For fiber to the home, I just don't see it. Tons of extra money going out, very little extra coming back in.

DirecTV and AT&T already operate much more like business partners than competitors. Did you know that AT&T has been an authorized dealer of DirecTV services for years? In fact, a good chunk of customers already have DirecTV services and ATT internet service combined into a single bill.

Lots of differences....

Wireline vs wireless

AT&T Uverse is available almost nowhere. DirecTV is available almost everywhere.

Uverse is concentrated in urban areas in a limited number of states. DirecTV does well in rural areas outside the reach of wireline providers.

Uverse is limited to a relatively low number of TV sets within a household. DirecTV has no maximum limit(great for hotels, etc.)

You could keep going on with that, but the point is easy to see. AT&T buying DirecTV would not be eliminating a competitor from the marketplace, because the two companies barely compete against each other as it is.

TC
True Colors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:35 PM   #36
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Colors View Post
AT&T is not going to pay to extend fiber into homes JUST because it would be nice to have. Profit based businesses do not operate that way.

Businesses need to be able to justify spending extra money by showing an expected return on investment. For fiber to the home, I just don't see it. Tons of extra money going out, very little extra coming back in.
This is describing perfectly a failure of free-market capitalism. And whenever a market failure such as this occurs, the proper response is to have the government step in and make the needed corrections to the system. FTTH has enormous, long-term benefits and economic returns for consumers, internet-related businesses, and society as a whole. The fact that a for-profit business deploying the fiber is unable to capture as much of those societal returns in the form of their own profits does not mean it should not be built. The government needs to step in and build it.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:53 PM   #37
True Colors

Quote:
This is describing perfectly a failure of free-market capitalism.
Okay, well let's look at some of the other countries that do not have free market capitalism. How are they doing with their fiber to the home deployment.

In other words, your political views are clouding your basic common sense here.

And I disagree that the benefits would be "enormous." For the overwhelming majority of people it would not make the slightest difference.

TC
True Colors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:14 PM   #38
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Colors View Post
In other words, your political views are clouding your basic common sense here.
I was thinking the exact same thing about you.

Last edited by tarheelblue32 : 05-02-2014 at 10:19 PM.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:31 PM   #39
Bigg

AT&T should do FTTH for 100% of their customers, and Verizon should finish their build-out. Unfortunately, the AT&T executives, and the new executives at Verizon have the attention span of a gnat, and act like 2-year-olds saying "I WANT IT NOW", having a total inability to think about the long term ROI. If they had brains and competence, they would be moving to FTTH over their entire territory.

This merger sort of makes sense, in the sense that D* is in an awkward position not being able to offer internet, versus Comcast and other cable companies that can, but at the same time, it would create a weird mismatch between D* and AT&T in some areas, and D* and another phone company in others.

U-Verse is a wretched POS, but the answer to that is FTTH, not buying a satellite company. AT&T is in a good position in that they can build FTTH and be competitive, whereas D* has nothing on the internet side unless they partner, and anything that's really fast enough to compete is also fast enough to have it's own TV service.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:37 PM   #40
tarheelblue32

Is there any particular technical reason why DirecTV doesn't do satellite internet? Dish Network does it right? I mean, I know it probably sucks ass in speed and latency and probably has a low data cap, but for people in rural areas with no other means of broadband internet service it would be better than nothing (or dial-up) right?
Old 05-09-2014, 03:03 AM   #41
HarperVision

Quote:
Is there any particular technical reason why DirecTV doesn't do satellite internet? Dish Network does it right? I mean, I know it probably sucks ass in speed and latency and probably has a low data cap, but for people in rural areas with no other means of broadband internet service it would be better than nothing (or dial-up) right?
Yes they do, I believe it's HughesNet. http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/conten...rnet/hughesnet
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:10 AM   #42
jwbelcher

Hughesnet used to be called DirecWay back when it was owned by DirecTV. I believe it was spun off and is now part of EchoStar.
Sony SAT-T60 + Turbonet (Retired)
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:38 AM   #43
JosephB

Quote:
You just listed all the reasons DirecTV doesn't do satellite internet.

HughesNet was formerly part of the same parent company as DirecTV. However, due to the very limited market, it's not a money maker. Latency sucks (guaranteed minimum 500ms ping due to the speed of light and 44,472 mile round trip to space and back), capacity sucks, and satellites are expensive and so is the in-home equipment. With all of that, the only real market is for folks who can't get DSL or cable. Hell, now, LTE is even price competitive, and beats satellite internet at latency (caps are about the same).

Some of DirecTV's satellites were actually intended to be for internet access, but I believe it was when News Corp bought a controlling interest (or maybe Liberty, don't remember...it was when the management changed at any rate) they decided they needed to get into HD quick and to forget about the internet stuff. They repurposed the Spaceway satellites for local and national HD coverage and spun off Hughes to Echostar.

Even with HughesNet, DISH knows satellite internet isn't a viable competitor nationally. That's why Charlie Ergen bought up all that wireless spectrum. Satellite will serve a niche, but it won't keep him rich.

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
Old 05-09-2014, 05:53 PM   #44
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephB View Post
Latency sucks (guaranteed minimum 500ms ping due to the speed of light and 44,472 mile round trip to space and back), capacity sucks, and satellites are expensive and so is the in-home equipment.
This. The latency is the big killer. You can get some crazy bandwidth over satellite, but it's also crazy expensive. The US military can bring gigabit speeds into virtually anywhere in the world, but you can bet that costs millions upon millions of dollars. And it doesn't scale out well, as even a spot beam might be 50 or 100 miles wide, where a cable node might be for one block or building.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:03 AM   #45
JosephB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
This. The latency is the big killer. You can get some crazy bandwidth over satellite, but it's also crazy expensive. The US military can bring gigabit speeds into virtually anywhere in the world, but you can bet that costs millions upon millions of dollars. And it doesn't scale out well, as even a spot beam might be 50 or 100 miles wide, where a cable node might be for one block or building.
Well in the military's case, it doesn't matter if it's a spot beam or not, since they are the only user on it.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:18 AM   #46
Bigg

Quote:
Well in the military's case, it doesn't matter if it's a spot beam or not, since they are the only user on it.
True.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:02 AM   #47
Johncv

What going to change when AT&T buy DirecTV? Look like it going to happen.

Like to see a better box than the crappy Genie box I use now. Want a Roamio but I know it not going to happen.

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:14 AM   #48
JosephB

DirecTV is so big, and AT&T is so conservative, it will take a while before you see any changes. I suspect over time the U-Verse video product will go away and of course over time AT&T's fingerprints will be all over the hardware and service, but it won't be immediate at any rate.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:47 PM   #49
Dan203
Super Moderator

I'm betting that when this happen AT&T phases out U-verse TV and switches all their TV customers over to DirecTV. Basically they will move all linear TV to the existing DirecTV infrastructure and use their VDSL infrastructure for internet and VOD. This will allow them to better compete with cable companies because with their VDSL network dedicated to just internet they should be able to offer internet speeds that are similar to cable companies (i.e. 30-60Mbps)
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:12 PM   #50
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I'm betting that when this happen AT&T phases out U-verse TV and switches all their TV customers over to DirecTV. Basically they will move all linear TV to the existing DirecTV infrastructure and use their VDSL infrastructure for internet and VOD. This will allow them to better compete with cable companies because with their VDSL network dedicated to just internet they should be able to offer internet speeds that are similar to cable companies (i.e. 30-60Mbps)
What about customers that can't get satellite reception? I'm guessing they will leave existing U-verse customers as is at worse even if they no longer promote the service.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:14 PM   #51
moedaman

Quote:
30 - 60Mps is so last year. Comcast just doubled my speed from 50/10 to 105/20. And what about the upload speed? Unless ATT goes completely FTTH (which it won't), can they match what the cablecos are doing?
moedaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:54 PM   #52
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
What about customers that can't get satellite reception? I'm guessing they will leave existing U-verse customers as is at worse even if they no longer promote the service.
Perhaps. I doubt the number of people in that camp is very large though.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:55 PM   #53
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Not a chance. The UVerse UI, DVR, and performance is much better than DirecTV. It's the best next thing to a TiVo.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 04:09 PM   #54
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Perhaps. I doubt the number of people in that camp is very large though.
I would have to cut down a whole bunch of trees in my back yard to get a satellite signal, and that isn't going to happen. I like my trees where they are.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:21 PM   #55
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by moedaman View Post
30 - 60Mps is so last year. Comcast just doubled my speed from 50/10 to 105/20. And what about the upload speed? Unless ATT goes completely FTTH (which it won't), can they match what the cablecos are doing?
VDSL has a theoretical max of 55Mbps down and 3Mbps up. However there is a newer VDSL2 spec that goes up to 200Mbps max, with any portion of that being provisioned to up or down.

But no matter what cable will always have the fatter pipe. With DOCSIS 3.0 you can bind an unlimited number of channels so if they went pure IP on a 1000Mhz system the theoretical throughput would be over 7Gbps.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:08 PM   #56
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAndrews View Post
Not a chance. The UVerse UI, DVR, and performance is much better than DirecTV. It's the best next thing to a TiVo.
Well they may merge their DVR code into a new box for the DirecTV system. I'm talking about using the existing DSS infrastructure for broadcasting linear TV.

DirecTV has two major disadvantages over cable... Lack of internet and lack of real VOD. U-Verse has both of those but is very limited in it's linear video capabilities because of constrained bandwidth. By shifting all the linear TV over to DSS and using it's VDSL infrastructure strictly for internet and VOD they will be able to compete more directly with cable.

Honestly I really think this is a good move for both companies. It allows them to better compete with cable companies and might actually give consumers a better alternative.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:59 PM   #57
Bigg

Quote:
Nope. Not going to happen. There are stupid people out there who just won't get satellite, but more realistically, there are people who live in the woods, and a lot of people who live in MDUs and can't mount satellite dishes. However, from what I have seen AT&T has done a poor job of setting MDUs up with U-Verse, even though it's an ideal setting for a VDSL service, and in some cases, they could even put the VRAD immediately adjacent to or in a building and offer really fast VDSL connectivity on the same platform they use for wiring streets.

Given that they have an IPTV platform, they should also get more aggressive with doing gigabit FTTB, where they can hand off the fiber to ethernet for the final run to an apartment or condo. They also have the advantage of being able to mix FTTN, FTTB, and FTTH on the same platform with varying provision speeds.

Not that I like U-Verse, I think it's a wretched POS, but they definitely aren't going to dump it.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:42 PM   #58
Diana Collins

We have been DirecTV customers for 12.5 years (we are switching to FIOS and TiVos in late summer) and so have lived through 3 different owners of DirecTV. None of the changes in ownership have made one bit of difference in the overall service. The biggest difference is that when News Corp owned DirecTV they killed the relationship with TiVo in favor of their own DVRs. I don't expect AT&T will have any more effect than Hughes, News Corp or Liberty did. Likewise, I don't expect Uverse will change. This is about programming contracts, back office savings, and overall profitability, not about merging or combining services.
Diana Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:12 PM   #59
JosephB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Collins View Post
We have been DirecTV customers for 12.5 years (we are switching to FIOS and TiVos in late summer) and so have lived through 3 different owners of DirecTV. None of the changes in ownership have made one bit of difference in the overall service. The biggest difference is that when News Corp owned DirecTV they killed the relationship with TiVo in favor of their own DVRs. I don't expect AT&T will have any more effect than Hughes, News Corp or Liberty did. Likewise, I don't expect Uverse will change. This is about programming contracts, back office savings, and overall profitability, not about merging or combining services.
I don't buy that. First off none of those prior companies fully purchased DirecTV. They only owned controlling interests. If AT&T buys every share of stock and integrates it, even if it's operated as a unit and not merged with U-Verse, there will be significant changes. That's just the way AT&T operates.

Old 05-14-2014, 04:19 PM   #60
Diana Collins

Quote:
...They only owned controlling interests...
I think Sir Rupert would disagree with your characterization.

News Corp had a fairly major impact on a lot of the business. They shut down DirecTV Brazil and Mexico, transferring customers to the corresponding SKY services. They sold off Hughes Network Solutions to SkyTerra (later acquired by Echostar). They sold their interest in PanAmSat. All of this had the effect of making DirecTV a satellite TV company only, instead of the technology conglomerate that Hughes had been. This was in keeping with News Corp's goal of dominating satellite TV in the Western Hemisphere, and treating DirecTV as "SKY America." The only thing that happened that viewers noticed was the move into HD programming, which would have happened no matter who owned the company.
Diana Collins is offline   Reply With Quote