TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-09-2014, 01:50 PM   #31
Doggie Bear

I wrote my first impressions of most of the new ABC drama pick-ups on my blog about TV and running (my twin obsessions). I think "The Whispers" sounds really goofy and will probably be a disaster, but I might check it out anyway. "How to Get Away With Murder" sounds like "Beverly Hills 90210" in law school, but I teach law so I might have to watch it.
Doggie Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:15 PM   #32
Azlen

Galavant looks like something that could get canceled early. A musical, comedy, fairytale... Really?
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:17 PM   #33
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Thanks ABC for helping me clean up my Season Pass list
Old 05-09-2014, 02:18 PM   #34
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
Suburgatory has now been officially canceled.
Drat. Thanks for the update.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:40 PM   #35
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Still nothing on Nashville... really getting the impression that it is a goner.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 03:13 PM   #36
rich
Final answer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggie Bear View Post
I wrote my first impressions of most of the new ABC drama pick-ups on my blog about TV and running (my twin obsessions). I think "The Whispers" sounds really goofy and will probably be a disaster, but I might check it out anyway. "How to Get Away With Murder" sounds like "Beverly Hills 90210" in law school, but I teach law so I might have to watch it.
"The Whispers" is based on a short story by Ray Bradbury entitled "Zero Hour". A very short story, as in about eight pages long. It'll be interesting to see how they stretch it out to a season (or more).
rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:53 PM   #37
mrdazzo7

Is it just me or is it odd that all of these canceled/renewed announcements are coming out the week before the TV upfronts - isn't that when we used to find all this out, as the networks unveiled their fall line-ups? I don't remember all these announcements coming out before that week. Seems odd.

Oh well. I read that Resurrection got renewed and I think that and SHEILD are the only shows I watch on ABC so I'm good. Hopefully some of there new comedies are good - I'm still missing Happy Endings and Apartment 23

(bring back Happy Endings!!!)
Old 05-09-2014, 06:57 PM   #38
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

The upfronts is when they unveil the slotted schedule to the advertisers. They have to have all the contracts for the shows in place before that point, which means this week.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:08 PM   #39
mrdazzo7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
The upfronts is when they unveil the slotted schedule to the advertisers. They have to have all the contracts for the shows in place before that point, which means this week.
I know but all these announcements used to come out during the upfronts. It used to be an exciting week for TV nerds like myself.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:16 PM   #40
smak
TV MA SLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdazzo7 View Post
I know but all these announcements used to come out during the upfronts. It used to be an exciting week for TV nerds like myself.
Probably better to get it out of the way before the Upfronts, so the Upfronts are positive stuff, instead of 1/2 cancellations, 1/2 new shows.

-smak-
smak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:24 PM   #41
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

As far as my memory goes, we used to know most of the cancellations and renewals before the upfronts. There always were a handful of "bubble shows" that were left with uncertain futures until they were announced at the upfronts though. That's one thing that's changed recently, that there are very few (if any) uncertains... looking at Zap2it/TV By The Numbers' list, we pretty much know the future of just about everything at this point.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:46 PM   #42
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I really liked The Neighbors. Guess I was in the minority.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:13 AM   #43
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Nashville renewed for a 22-episode season, and apparently to remain filming in Nashville.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/05/nash...-season-3-abc/
Old 05-10-2014, 02:08 AM   #44
brianric

Quote:
Nashville renewed for a 22-episode season, and apparently to remain filming in Nashville.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/05/nash...-season-3-abc/

brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 02:41 AM   #45
MikeCC
TiVotee

Quote:
Dancing with the Stars, The Bachelor, Shark Tank and America's Funniest Home Videos are also coming back.
Oh joy.

My excitement is contained.
MikeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 07:19 AM   #46
mr.unnatural

I think a lot of the early show reviews scared away any potential audience for The Trophy Wife. What's ironic about that is that Trophy Wife is the only show I've ever seen on both the ten best and ten worst new shows of any upcoming season.

The wife and I both liked The Neighbors. Once they got past indoctrinating the aliens to every new holiday that came along it was an extremely funny show. Toks Olagundoye (aka Jackie Joyner-Kersee) was an absolute hoot when they let her cut loose. I think it lost shares because it just wasn't lowbrow enough for most viewers.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 07:48 AM   #47
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by loubob57 View Post
I really liked The Neighbors. Guess I was in the minority.
Maybe but count me in, too. And some of my coworkers.

Might be for the best. Eventually, it was going to run out of ideas.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:12 AM   #48
astrohip
Stuart F

My IMHOs on ABC...

Suburgatory -- watched religiously at first. Then veered off to rampant silliness, even more than usual. Stopped watching after 2-3 eps this year.

Super Fun Night -- I actually enjoyed this. Started slow, probably lost too many viewers in first 2-4 eps, but once the writers learned their characters, it actually became a sweet, funny show. The roommates were funny; I think the weird triangle love dynamics between Kimmie, Richard & Kendall also helped doom it.

The Neighbors -- I'll never forget how I started this show. Deleted it halfway thru the pilot, then remembered my vow to at least watch sitcom pilots all the way thru. Totally changed my mind after a full watch, and ended up falling in love with this show. Funny characters, and had a sorta Community-like meta view of sitcoms threaded throughout the series. Will miss it.

Trophy Wife -- Similar to Suburgatory, started strong, but ended up losing me with too many sub-par episodes. Lots of "A"s, but too many "B-"s.

Any show not mentioned either I didn't watch, or killed so quickly I have no opinions. I am glad to see The Goldberg's renewed.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:44 AM   #49
alyssa

ABC Renewals and Pickups

Move right along nothing to see here

For all your Comic-Con needs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
alyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 12:04 PM   #50
stellie93

Yeah for Nashville--boo for Trophy Wife--I liked it better than the Millers or the Goldbergs.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 01:43 PM   #51
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
My IMHOs on ABC... Suburgatory -- watched religiously at first. Then veered off to rampant silliness, even more than usual. Stopped watching after 2-3 eps this year. Super Fun Night -- I actually enjoyed this. Started slow, probably lost too many viewers in first 2-4 eps, but once the writers learned their characters, it actually became a sweet, funny show. The roommates were funny; I think the weird triangle love dynamics between Kimmie, Richard & Kendall also helped doom it. The Neighbors -- I'll never forget how I started this show. Deleted it halfway thru the pilot, then remembered my vow to at least watch sitcom pilots all the way thru. Totally changed my mind after a full watch, and ended up falling in love with this show. Funny characters, and had a sorta Community-like meta view of sitcoms threaded throughout the series. Will miss it. Trophy Wife -- Similar to Suburgatory, started strong, but ended up losing me with too many sub-par episodes. Lots of "A"s, but too many "B-"s. Any show not mentioned either I didn't watch, or killed so quickly I have no opinions. I am glad to see The Goldberg's renewed.
Agree mostly on suburgatory. It lost its way with the love story/move in.

Hated super fun night from the beginning. I am not a fan of comedy that is derived only from the lead being a loser.

Neighbors I sort of liked in the beginning but was cautious. Loved it. Just the right amount of absurdity. Lots of self-poking and fourth wall breakage.

Trophy Wife, I'm the opposite of you. I think it is still getting better. Decent to start and really funny now.
Old 05-10-2014, 02:09 PM   #52
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
Agree mostly on suburgatory. It lost its way with the love story/move in.
Yeah, I hated that whole storyline last season, and it is why I've had a hard time getting back into things this season even though I know it is done.
Old 05-10-2014, 03:51 PM   #53
alpacaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/05/09/tr...bors-canceled/

Official now on Trophy Wife, Mixology, and The Neighbors. No word on Suburgatory, though.
Too bad about Mixology. I love Vanessa Lengies.
alpacaboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 03:53 PM   #54
Azlen

ABC has also renewed Last Man Standing and picked up Cristela and Fresh off the Boat. All come from 20th Century Fox so I'm sure it was a package negotiation.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:04 PM   #55
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

Quote:
ABC has also renewed Last Man Standing and picked up Cristela and Fresh off the Boat. All come from 20th Century Fox so I'm sure it was a package negotiation.
I'm glad that LMS is coming back. Sorry to see The Neighbors cancelled though. The two shows made a nice little Friday night package that I really enjoyed.

(I had Fun, fun, fun 'til Katrina took my Ti-Vos away)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
RGM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:08 AM   #56
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
Neighbors I sort of liked in the beginning but was cautious. Loved it. Just the right amount of absurdity. Lots of self-poking and fourth wall breakage.

Trophy Wife, I'm the opposite of you. I think it is still getting better. Decent to start and really funny now.
"fourth wall breakage". That's the phrase I was looking for.

I heard the same about Trophy Wife from lots of people, that it had upped its game. And 'twere it renewed, I *might* have tried it again. Alas...
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 11:25 AM   #57
efilippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGM1138 View Post
I'm glad that LMS is coming back.
Me too. It's pure Tim Allen but he and the rest of the cast hit those numbers right on the button. Always funny. And we were at a college graduation yesterday and when they introduced one of the speakers, who had gradutated from THE Ohio State Univerisity, I broke up.
efilippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 11:54 AM   #58
javabird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggie Bear View Post
There was an excellent TV series in the 70's about students in law school called "The Paper Chase" which featured the venerable John Houseman. Unfortunately it was cancelled after 1 season (imdb says it was picked up on Showtime for a few more season). I would love to see a reboot of the show, if they could match the calibre of the acting in the original production.
javabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:11 PM   #59
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by javabird View Post
There was an excellent TV series in the 70's about students in law school called "The Paper Chase" which featured the venerable John Houseman. Unfortunately it was cancelled after 1 season (imdb says it was picked up on Showtime for a few more season). I would love to see a reboot of the show, if they could match the calibre of the acting in the original production.
It was based on the movie of the same name from 1973, also starring Houseman. Odd that they waited 5 years to turn it into a series. The series also moved to Showtime in 1983, where it ran for 3 more years.

(I had Fun, fun, fun 'til Katrina took my Ti-Vos away)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
RGM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 11:58 PM   #60
Supfreak26
Live Like Noone Else

Quote:
The Neighbors, Mixology, Trophy Wife, and Suburgatory all likely cancelled.
Bummer that these were cancelled. I really enjoyed all of them except maybe Suburgatory this season.

Really happy about Nashville, though. Big guilty pleasure for me.