TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-08-2014, 07:06 AM   #121
mcf57

I had a Series 3 that I got the $99 lifetime on it. Less than 2 months later, it stopped working (reboot loop). I tried EVERYTHING to get it going; new hard drive, replaced caps, swapped the power supply with another identical S3 that was fully working. Nothing worked. I thought was out of luck.

I finally got around to calling TiVo about 7 months later. I went through the tech dept. and went through some procedures to try and get it going. As I figured, nothing worked. Finally, they decided to just offer me a 500GB 2-tuner (refurb) premiere for $79. They also said since lifetime had been on the S3 unit for less than a year, they could transfer the lifetime for free to the new Premiere.

Seeing as I heard about CSR stories here and how you sometimes have to play roulette with them to get what you want, I JUMPED on this offer right away & as I was talking to the guy. I had to give a $99 deposit, but this was fully refunded when I sent them the non-working S3 unit. The new 2-tuner Premiere arrived quickly, has lifetime on it & is working great. I got my credit card refunded $99 shortly after sending the S3 back and all is good. It cost me about $15 to ship it back, but I could still live with this too.

I have a 4-tuner premiere that is coming up on its annual renewal here and I am thinking of either cancelling it or trying to get the $99 offer for it. Not sure they will do it for a 4-tuner Premiere, but we'll see & worth a shot. I may actually get offered a $199 lifetime so may take that as well. I guess if you are offered a good deal, GO FOR IT right away as it might not be offered again.
500GB 2-tuner Premiere
500GB S3 (OLED)
160GB TiVO HD
mcf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:19 AM   #122
swak

Agree with getting it in your notes. I had the same situation and when I called yesterday the csr saw the offer given to me about 3 weeks prior and i got $99 lifetime on my less than 3 year old premiere.

Last edited by swak : 05-08-2014 at 10:24 AM.
swak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:02 PM   #123
squint

Another reason to jump on the deal right away is that the lifetime plan goes into effect when your current monthly billing cycle ends. Until then, it's only pending and you can cancel it online anytime before then.

I just acquired a lifetime Premiere. The one I have now hits the 3-year mark in September so hopefully, I can get it lifetimed for $99.
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 03:51 PM   #124
tamathat

$99 just shy of 3 years

Called today to try for $99 lifetime on a used Premier box I picked up on Craigslist.

Bought the box and activated it on a month-to-month for my brother to try with over the air. After I saw the posts on here I called to try and get the $99 lifetime. CSR stated she could only do $199 since the box was 2 yrs 8 mos. I told her I would like to cancel under the 30 day trial unless she could honor the $99 lifetime. She placed me on a brief hold, came back and told me that she could do it.

Happy CSR roulette folks
tamathat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 03:58 PM   #125
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

That 30-day satisfaction guarantee on TiVo service sure it a big stick, to talk softly with.

It almost seems like it's worth subbing any TiVo, just to have that 30-day leverage... I wonder how much they factor the thought of losing a monthly sub with a commitment period, versus a lifetime sub... Even though a LT sub is more money up-front, TiVo makes more off those who stay monthly, once they hit the threshold where LTS would begin to equal savings...

I'm not advocating immoral behavior, even though I sure sound like I am...
Old 05-12-2014, 08:14 AM   #126
buscuitboy

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
That 30-day satisfaction guarantee on TiVo service sure it a big stick, to talk softly with.
I basically did this about a year ago to get $99 lifetime on a Series 3 HD unit. Signed up, but then called about 25 days into it and said I changed my mind and it might be too much after all. They offered me the $99 deal and I took it (3 times now). I have since sold the Series 3s, but I guess this tactic can now be used with Premieres as well.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 02:52 PM   #127
billbillw

I called in to cancel my oldest Premiere and was able to snag another $99 Lifetime sub. I've had it just over 2 years. He initially offered $199, but I said I would only consider it for $99. A few minutes on hold and it was approved. Not very difficult really.

Now I think I am going to replace my Premiere 4 with the lifetime unit and sell the Premiere 4 since I never bothered to get a Mini.

I'm using an HTPC w a 3-tuner HDHomerun now as well, so I don't really need the extra tuners in the Premiere 4. Honestly, the Premiere 4 is a pain anyway. It is noticeably slower than the 2-tuner Premieres. Now I guess I need to call in tomorrow and cancel service on the 4 tuner box.
billbillw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 12:46 PM   #128
cykotix

My Premieres are just over 2yrs old. I said I want $99 lifetime on each. He said he couldn't do that because they weren't 3yrs old yet. I then asked him what the magic word was to get this done. Was it to threaten to cancel? I could tell he was thrown by how blunt I was and replied he didn't know. I read between the lines and said ok, then I'm threatening to cancel. He said ok, asked me to hold for a moment, came back and said he was able to get it approved on both. I was on the phone for maybe 10mins.
cykotix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:49 AM   #129
jlin

i called to re-activated my old 2 years old Premier and asked about the $99 deal. The rep said "let me see if the promo code works' on your unit. In less than 30 seconds, I got myself a $99 Lifetime! I didnt' even have to threaten to cancel!

However, it couldn't be done on a newer Premier (with the 500gb hard drive).

I believe it may also help that I paid $399 for my Roamino Lifetime and it was the end of May (for end of month better number?)
jlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:56 AM   #130
Chris Gerhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlin View Post
i called to re-activated my old 2 years old Premier and asked about the $99 deal. The rep said "let me see if the promo code works' on your unit. In less than 30 seconds, I got myself a $99 Lifetime! I didnt' even have to threaten to cancel!

However, it couldn't be done on a newer Premier (with the 500gb hard drive).

I believe it may also help that I paid $399 for my Roamino Lifetime and it was the end of May (for end of month better number?)
I don't know what makes a Premiere qualify for the $99 lifetime offer but I don't think it had anything to do with your Roamio. It appears that each individual Premiere is analyzed to see if it has earned enough revenue and if it has, it will qualify. In other words, a Premiere subscribed for a year, put in the closet, taken out two years later won't quality. One that was subscribed for three years would. Just a guess since I have no inside knowledge but the goal of having each specific box make a profit might be the key.
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:44 PM   #131
advocate2

I just received the $99 deal today when I called to cancel. They said that the unit had been in service for three and a half years and that qualified it. I think the key is how long the particular unit has been in service. With all the premieres manufactured in 2010, their time is ready. You can pick up XL's for around $70, throw in a 2t drive and get lifetime for about $250. Not bad if you can live with two tuners.
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:21 PM   #132
Radiomanpj

I just called and was denied. Mfg date 2-3-11 model 746.

CSR said that they had no promotion available on that unit.

Darn. Now is when I could afford that deal.
Guess I will have to cancel when fall comes and my income goes down
Radiomanpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:24 PM   #133
jlin

How many months were paid on that unit?

Perhaps you can try at the end of this month to see if they want to make their monthly quota.
jlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:31 PM   #134
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlin View Post
Perhaps you can try at the end of this month to see if they want to make their monthly quota.
I've never seen any sign of monthly quotas (or any reason for it). Quarterly targets, on the other hand, have often had an effect on sales and may be good times to buy. End of July is the next quarter end.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:08 PM   #135
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
I've never seen any sign of monthly quotas (or any reason for it). Quarterly targets, on the other hand, have often had an effect on sales and may be good times to buy. End of July is the next quarter end.
Aren't there 4 quarters in a year, each one consisting of 3 months, and wouldn't March have been the end of the previous one and wouldn't the current one be ending at the end of this month, June, with the next one starting in July?

Or does TiVo's fiscal year run February through January?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:35 AM   #136
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Aren't there 4 quarters in a year, each one consisting of 3 months, and wouldn't March have been the end of the previous one and wouldn't the current one be ending at the end of this month, June, with the next one starting in July?

Or does TiVo's fiscal year run February through January?
February through January - makes holiday season accounting a bit easier.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:17 AM   #137
das335

I just failed to get the $99 offer on a used TiVO Premiere I bought. The rep first said it looked like it qualified but then checked with a supervisor and I was told "No'".

I called in to the main TiVo customer support number. Any advice on getting this offer from those that succeeded ?

Has anyone used the "chat" option to do this ? I already have a new Roamio I bought earlier this year and a TiVo HD, bought with lifetime subscriptions.

I was hoping that the Roamio purchase might help but it seemed to be simply based on the prior usage of the Premiere.

I will probably try back again in a few days. I was also thinking of taking a monthly rate to try the box but cancelling before the 30 day trial and see if I get any kind of deal.
das335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:30 AM   #138
jrtroo
User

try try try again.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:13 PM   #139
advocate2

Check the back of your Tivo. If it is more than three years old you have a shot.

I just received the 99 offer on three Tivos in less than a 30 day period. Make sure to say you want to cancel.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:15 PM   #140
StEvEY5036

Just was denied on my XL4. Thing was on my last nerve, so slow and really not worth the aggravation any more. Bought a Roamio Plus and a Mini to go along with it, paid the $149 for lifetime for the Mini and asked if they could offer me anything for the XL4 - Was told $399 was the best for lifetime, when I asked for $99 it was a swift no. Off to eBay it goes.
StEvEY5036 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:23 PM   #141
dcline414

Quote:
Originally Posted by StEvEY5036 View Post
Just was denied on my XL4. Thing was on my last nerve, so slow and really not worth the aggravation any more. Bought a Roamio Plus and a Mini to go along with it, paid the $149 for lifetime for the Mini and asked if they could offer me anything for the XL4 - Was told $399 was the best for lifetime, when I asked for $99 it was a swift no. Off to eBay it goes.
How old is the unit they denied the deal on? I signed a 12 month commitment last year to drop the monthly price from $20 to $15, and that one year term ends in 5 weeks.

We purchased and activated our premiere in January 2012, so will have paid $580 in monthly fees for 32 continuous months of service when the contract is up next month. Just wondering if we have a shot at the $99 lifetime deal.
dcline414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:32 PM   #142
dnorth12

Quote:
I just received an email from TiVo that there is a Premier update coming in the next few weeks that promises zippier menu functionality. It may not effect your decision, but I just wanted to mention it in case it might have some bearing and you haven't seen the email.
dnorth12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:43 PM   #143
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Quote:
Interesting, I wonder if they made a business plan change as the same happpened to me on my last premiere I had as I called today to cancel and they said thank you, good bye. After they upgraded my last two for $99 I was expecting nothing less, they told me the same too that $399 was the cost for lifetime.

I'm bummed out.....

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:50 PM   #144
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post
Interesting, I wonder if they made a business plan change as the same happpened to me on my last premiere I had as I called today to cancel and they said thank you, good bye. After they upgraded my last two for $99 I was expecting nothing less, they told me the same too that $399 was the cost for lifetime.

I'm bummed out.....
I wonder if they have been forced to make up for lost revenue caused by those selling discount codes, by discontinuing the $99 & $199 lifetime offers...

Sorry to hear it's not working out for folks right now.

Best case scenario is it's a temporary "no discounted lifetime" for subscription retention until whatever was wrong with the billing/activation system is fixed. Second best case is it is just one of the periods they sometimes don't offer it, and it will return again.

Worst case scenario is TiVo is actually knowingly letting the codes be sold and used, in order to reduce inventory, as part of a exit strategy from retail. It's hard to say for sure. Sometimes those inside TiVo don't know what corporate is up to.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:26 AM   #145
Chris Gerhard

Quote:
I wonder if they have been forced to make up for lost revenue caused by those selling discount codes, by discontinuing the $99 & $199 lifetime offers...

Sorry to hear it's not working out for folks right now.

Best case scenario is it's a temporary "no discounted lifetime" for subscription retention until whatever was wrong with the billing/activation system is fixed. Second best case is it is just one of the periods they sometimes don't offer it, and it will return again.

Worst case scenario is TiVo is actually knowingly letting the codes be sold and used, in order to reduce inventory, as part of a exit strategy from retail. It's hard to say for sure. Sometimes those inside TiVo don't know what corporate is up to.
I don't know the reason $99 lifetime service subscriptions are sold or not sold but I am pretty sure this isn't the reason for no sales now, assuming there are no $99 lifetime subscriptions being sold now. A few reports is far from conclusive to me, I was denied several times over the years when others were successful and the same could be true now, some could be successful now while others are not. It is hard to know much about a special offer that isn't in writing for customers to understand the terms.

I hope TiVo isn't getting out of the hardware business but I have seen about as much hard evidence regarding that rumor as I have this rumor, nothing.
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:35 AM   #146
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post
I don't know the reason $99 lifetime service subscriptions are sold or not sold but I am pretty sure this isn't the reason for no sales now, assuming there are no $99 lifetime subscriptions being sold now. A few reports is far from conclusive to me, I was denied several times over the years when others were successful and the same could be true now, some could be successful now while others are not. It is hard to know much about a special offer that isn't in writing for customers to understand the terms.

I hope TiVo isn't getting out of the hardware business but I have seen about as much hard evidence regarding that rumor as I have this rumor, nothing.
The $99 or $199 LTS refusals have been reported by three people, and that was just yesterday. Not all reports will always wind up in a single thread for the subject, or even any one of them. They often get placed in threads where people are discussing their new Roamio purchase, and the subject of what happened when they went to cancel the old one just comes up there.

One person's alleged "story" over a bought discount code set off a fury of people claiming the end of the codes, and the wording of that alleged incident was suspect to me right away. Just a note, not an argument.

Plenty of quotes from TiVo execs, written accounts of interviews, reports by reputable blogs and news outlets, and some information that those with NDAs can't legally disclose or discuss, exist in enough quantity and quality to have me convinced, and I'm not alone.

For some, the only "hard evidence" adequate enough for them will be the day it happens (after they get past the denial of it happening).

I wouldn't post about it, if I had any doubts. It's actually old news to me. Instead of focusing on "if" anymore, I'm watching for signs of "when".

I can understand not wanting to believe it, as well as not liking people posting about it. TiVo has made no attempts to dispute the matter.

Signs also point to TiVo wanting out of the hardware market, and to focus on cloud DVR services, and being a software company. If TiVo exists the hardware market, exactly how will they have a retail DVR to offer?
Old 07-09-2014, 09:05 AM   #147
jrtroo
User

Quote:
Signs also point to TiVo wanting out of the hardware market, and to focus on cloud DVR services, and being a software company. If TiVo exists the hardware market, exactly how will they have a retail DVR to offer?
I don't have time to search right now, but Tivo is getting out of the hardware manufacturing, and in a recent interview stressed that they are staying in the retail market. They seem to get looking to install their software in a box someone else builds, which they have been suggesting for years.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:20 PM   #148
aryndub

A co-worker gave me his old Tivo Premiere for use as he no longer needed it. He was offered the $99 lifetime, but since he had no need for it, he said no thanks... they told him that if he gave it to a family member/friend they would honor the $99 deal. A few weeks later he tells me about it and I take him up on taking the Tivo off his hands, after trying to activate it with $99 lifetime, they say that he was indeed offered the deal and he turned it down and it was no longer available to anyone, not even him.

How is this possible? I thought it was tied to the box, not the user? My co-worker subscribed monthly for at minimum 3 years as he's had the box since they were first released.

Anything I can try? I'm afraid they noted my account should I try and call in again.
aryndub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:28 PM   #149
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryndub View Post
A co-worker gave me his old Tivo Premiere for use as he no longer needed it. He was offered the $99 lifetime, but since he had no need for it, he said no thanks... they told him that if he gave it to a family member/friend they would honor the $99 deal. A few weeks later he tells me about it and I take him up on taking the Tivo off his hands, after trying to activate it with $99 lifetime, they say that he was indeed offered the deal and he turned it down and it was no longer available to anyone, not even him.

How is this possible? I thought it was tied to the box, not the user? My co-worker subscribed monthly for at minimum 3 years as he's had the box since they were first released.

Anything I can try? I'm afraid they noted my account should I try and call in again.
Activate it on a monthly basis and pay the first month fee, before the first 30 days are up call TiVo and request it to be canceled.

That has worked for me on several cases with exception to this week, if the box is not subscribed they won't offer the deal but if it's subscribed, somehow it makes a difference and they apply that first month's fee towards the $99 lifetime fee.

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 07:53 AM   #150
advocate2

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post
Activate it on a monthly basis and pay the first month fee, before the first 30 days are up call TiVo and request it to be canceled.

That has worked for me on several cases with exception to this week, if the box is not subscribed they won't offer the deal but if it's subscribed, somehow it makes a difference and they apply that first month's fee towards the $99 lifetime fee.
+1. I have received the $99 offer on three Premiere units in the last 60 days. Make sure you activate with the price that allows you to cancel at any time. In each case I cancelled a few days prior to the end of the first period and the first month price was credited to the $99.