TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-09-2014, 11:38 AM   #1
mishafp

Tivo return question

My HDMI port went bad within my 1 year warranty period (after the 90 day period), so I'm going to return my tivo, pay them the $49.99 for labor, and get a replacement TIVO. I'm also planning to do an advanced return, so that I get the new tivo out before I have to send back my old one (which I'm still using, only with the component cables).

The question I have is will I be able to transfer the programs (that aren't copy-protected) from my old tivo to the new one? That is, do both TIVOs need to have independent service contracts to permit this? Thanks! This will impact whether I send back the TIVO now, or wait a little while and try to watch all of the programs off of my old TIVO before turning.
mishafp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 12:01 PM   #2
BiloxiGeek
Reality Challenged

You could possibly use pyTivo, kmttg or Tivo Desktop to transfer the shows to a computer and after you get the replacement transfer them back to the new TiVo.
| The early bird may get the worm,
| but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese...
BiloxiGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 12:06 PM   #3
mishafp

Yeah, I guess I can try that if all else fails, but I don't have those programs and it may not working... I'm wondering whether I could just use just the usual TIVO mechanism for transferring shows between two TIVOs (since I will have both the new and replacement TIVO in my house at the same time, thanks to the advanced return deposit program), as I did when I bought the TIVO Roamio and I grabbed my old shows off of my Premier before re-selling the Premier.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:17 PM   #4
mishafp

I think I found my answer: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=495679 after further research. So feel free to erase this post, if you have the administrator privilege.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:50 PM   #5
squint

Which model was it?
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 12:51 PM   #6
mishafp

Quote:
Originally Posted by squint View Post
Which model was it?
I have the Roamio Plus.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:58 PM   #7
squint

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishafp View Post
I have the Roamio Plus.
That's very interesting because it usually happens to Series 3 TiVos. In fact, it's the first time I've heard of it happening to a model other than a Series 3 HD.

One of my HDs has a bad HDMI port. Two others are fine. One of these days, I'm going to attempt to repair the broken one.
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 01:12 PM   #8
mishafp

I have had TIVOs going back to Series 2, and this is the first time my HDMI port has failed. A couple of others seem to have this problem with Roamio as well: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=512706

I don't care too much because I switched to components without causing any problems, but I figure I might as well get it taken care of before my 1 year comes up because I have lifetime service on this thing.