TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Suggestion Avenue
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-14-2014, 01:17 PM   #1
TexasGrillChef

Custom User Created Folders

I would love for us to be able to CREATE our own folders to store our recordings, and in the SP or recording setup, we could preset which folder the show would be placed after recording.

I request this, because I have one TiVo that records nothing but movies on all of the various movie cable channels. (HBO, Starz, Encore, etc..)

Because movies are NOT series... They aren't put into folders.

Thus my NPL is now 200 files long. and takes forever to thumb through!

If I were able to create my own folders, I would create a folder for HBO, one for Starz, another one for each of the Encore stations, etc... and then the movies for each of those networks would be in their folders. Making the NPL much easier to view

Same way folders make it easier to view our SP's for series TV shows we watch.

In the minimum, we should maybe have at least a "MOVIE" folder where the TiVo will put all the movies we record. Since the TiVo is smart enough to know if what we are recording is a Movie or a Series.

TGC
TexasGrillChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:20 PM   #2
javabird

I agree. This has been a highly requested item for a long time.
javabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:47 PM   #3
bradleys
It'll be fine....

It has been highly requested, but not likely to be delivered.

TiVo's design strategy is about developing a highly usable user interface not a highly customizable user interface - and in most cases the two are mutually exclusive.

I think the best we can hope for are profiles some time in the future. My opinion; if it takes screens of settings it isn't within their strategy.

I am actually very surprised they added the default recording settings and that was really just one page for one default setting. It is something that TiVo users access daily, so that may have motivated the functionality.

But anytime anyone wants some type of highly customized functionality, my answer is going to be the same... It goes against the TiVo design strategy and will not be part of their future state as I see it.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:37 PM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

I also think it's unlikely. The "folders" you see in My Shows are not actually folders, they're groups. They're shows that are grouped together based on common guide data. In most cases it's the show's ID, but it can also group shows based on Wish Lists, guides, Amazon purchases, etc... And in some cases there is an overlap and the same show will appear in multiple groups.

That being said there is some speculation that TiVo is working on additional sorting options that would group shows based on broader categories to make the My Shows list easier to navigate. Several of the Roamio reviews from last year mentioned a 3 tier My Shows list. (the current one being 2 tier) So we may get some better sorting options in the future.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:43 AM   #5
tomhorsley

I'd be happy with one custom folder named "My Older Shows" and a button I can press to say "OK, move all the recordings stashed directly under "My Shows" to "My Older Shows" now. That way I could easily see newer stuff and easily page through the list to get down to suggestions, and other things that are on the bottom.
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 11:58 PM   #6
jerryc

I would be content with a Season Pass sort order for My Shows, where all shows are ordered in the order of the current set of season passes (no need to complicate things by worrying about what happens when a season pass is deleted). Of course, you'd still want shows sorted by date within a show/wishlist.

Even better, if Season Pass sort order is selected and groups are on, all non-Season Pass recordings are put into a Manual Recording group.
jerryc is offline   Reply With Quote