TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 4.81 average.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:57 AM   #211
kbmb

Are these pause ads new? They are longer and shorter than usual. Just started noticing them the other day.

-Kevin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1805.jpg (30.6 KB, 497 views)
kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:12 AM   #212
jrtroo
User

Just a different shape.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:22 AM   #213
b_scott
TiVo Fan

quick clear code. never see them again.
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:40 AM   #214
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
quick clear code. never see them again.
Doesn't that also turn off the timeline bar, though?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:45 AM   #215
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Quote:
tweak it for hours? what?

As for ads on playback - just do the "Select Play Select Pause Select" trickplay and the bar/ads will instantly go away when paused.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
(so will the timeline, FWIW)
Quote:
Doesn't that also turn off the timeline bar, though?
Yeah, we've been through this..
Old 05-07-2014, 02:13 PM   #216
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Yeah, we've been through this..
Well, turning the TV off will also remove the ad. Except some of us want to see what's on the screen. And some of us want to see the timeline. So it's worth mentioning that caveat when you offer up the "quick clear code" as some kind of "solution."

And if we've "been though this," why post the same suggestion again, when all someone's done to bump this thread is ask if the ads are a different shape? No one's asked recently how to get rid of them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Old 05-07-2014, 02:35 PM   #217
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Well, turning the TV off will also remove the ad. Except some of us want to see what's on the screen. And some of us want to see the timeline. So it's worth mentioning that caveat when you offer up the "quick clear code" as some kind of "solution."

And if we've "been though this," why post the same suggestion again, when all someone's done to bump this thread is ask if the ads are a different shape? No one's asked recently how to get rid of them.
posting about them at all is stating they are annoying, which in turn leads me to say how to get rid of them. I still don't understand why anyway needs a static timeline on their screen.

I could ask you the same about why you'd post the same thing again. *shrug*
Old 05-07-2014, 02:48 PM   #218
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
posting about them at all is stating they are annoying
not really. kbmb was just asking if the these longer, shorter shaped ads are new.

Quote:
I still don't understand why anyway needs a static timeline on their screen.
Then why does the timeline exist at all?

Some folks like to see where they are in the program (how much time is left) when they pause.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:48 PM   #219
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
I still don't understand why anyway needs a static timeline on their screen.
I don't understand how anybody is OK with NOT having one. I'd use the "quick clear" code, if it didn't take that away. It's also not "static". It's "linear" and "dynamic", and goes away without action, but can be cleared with ....gasp... the "clear" button.

I also like closed-captions, which some people can't stand, if I have them on.

P.S. I'm not one who complains about the ads (haven't for a long time, anyway).
Old 05-07-2014, 03:25 PM   #220
moyekj

With "quick clear" code activated you can still bring up the play bar on demand simply by pressing the Play button to get a quick glance at where you are, so it's not like enabling that code destroys the play bar completely.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 04:48 PM   #221
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
With "quick clear" code activated you can still bring up the play bar on demand simply by pressing the Play button to get a quick glance at where you are, so it's not like enabling that code destroys the play bar completely.
That brief flash is too quick to be of any use to me. But, you are correct that it's not entirely gone, and my wording might imply otherwise.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:08 AM   #222
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
That brief flash is too quick to be of any use to me.
Yeah, with the newer Tivos, the timeline bar still only displays briefly, while on older Tivos, it stays up for 3-4 seconds.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:14 AM   #223
blacknoi

I just noticed the new bar Monday.

I prefer this new wider but shorter ad bar personally (reminds me of the S3 implementation).

Of course I'd prefer no ad bar but between the taller, less wide version and the version they have going now, I'll take the current one.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:32 AM   #224
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Select-Play-Select-Pause-Select is the first thing I do after a reboot ever since Tivo started using the much bigger, hideous pause ads. It's also an easy way to discover when your box has rebooted since it has to be enabled after every boot.

The only real drawback I've seen is that you lose the timeline bar when doing a big FF/REW skip to get to (say) the end of a show, but you can always just keep hitting FF/REW to see where you are before stopping.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:30 AM   #225
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

It's is unfortunate that Tivo feels they must include ads in their interface, after all wasn't that the main feature of Tivo was to avoid the commercials while watching TV?
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:36 AM   #226
jrtroo
User

I hope we have another, long and drawn out discussion on this. Can we make this thread 10 pages long? HA
Old 05-08-2014, 11:06 AM   #227
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post
It's is unfortunate that Tivo feels they must include ads in their interface, after all wasn't that the main feature of Tivo was to avoid the commercials while watching TV?
To be fair: an on-screen static text ad when you pause is preferable to many 30-second commercials, littered throughout a broadcast, with audio and video that you can't skip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
I hope we have another, long and drawn out discussion on this. Can we make this thread 10 pages long? HA
You do know you can ignore this thread, right? Or just not click on it?

Old 05-08-2014, 11:13 AM   #228
kbmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Just a different shape.
What an absolutely awesome reply....one of the best I've ever gotten on TCF. Thank you for confirming that it's a different shape

I do love that in the 16 replies since my post, only 1 person actually came close to what I originally asked. Man I love the internet

Since I posted I do see someone else started a new thread confirming my original question as to whether these are new if anyone cares:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=517299

-Kevin
kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:28 AM   #229
jrtroo
User

OK. No, just a different shape. "Just" is the operating piece. There is nothing different than that. I'm glad I did not need to indicate that such shape is a rectangle.

So you are complaining that I answered your question? Weird.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:29 AM   #230
jrtroo
User

Quote:
You do know you can ignore this thread, right? Or just not click on it?
And you know that "HA" and a "" mean joke, right?! I don't care how long this thread goes, but I don't care about ads either.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:56 PM   #231
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post
No. The main feature was and still is being able to time-shift programming.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:12 PM   #232
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Quote:
not really. kbmb was just asking if the these longer, shorter shaped ads are new.

Then why does the timeline exist at all?

Some folks like to see where they are in the program (how much time is left) when they pause.
because if you hit the play button, it pops up for reference if you need to know how far along it is. It's not like you know where the commercials are going to be, so having it during FF/RWD is pointless. You hit play when you see the show.

Quote:
That brief flash is too quick to be of any use to me. But, you are correct that it's not entirely gone, and my wording might imply otherwise.
what? it stays on for a good 5-10 seconds if you hit play.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:13 PM   #233
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Quote:
I don't understand how anybody is OK with NOT having one. I'd use the "quick clear" code, if it didn't take that away. It's also not "static". It's "linear" and "dynamic", and goes away without action, but can be cleared with ....gasp... the "clear" button.
I'm talking about static when you pause. It's a static image, that could possible be bad for image retention if you pause long enough since it's so solid and bright.

Quote:
To be fair: an on-screen static text ad when you pause is preferable to many 30-second commercials, littered throughout a broadcast, with audio and video that you can't skip.
Even more preferable is no ads on a box you pay a premium for to own, not rent, and you have to pay monthly on top of that as well.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:45 PM   #234
aaronwt
HD Addict

Only the cable company box you pay a premium for. The TiVo costs much less.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:50 AM   #235
alleybj

Question re Quick Clear Code

Can someone point me to instructions on how to use the quick clear code? I seem to just end up triggering and selecting the ads rather than deleting them. Thanks
alleybj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:10 AM   #236
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleybj View Post
Can someone point me to instructions on how to use the quick clear code? I seem to just end up triggering and selecting the ads rather than deleting them. Thanks
Play back an existing recording on your TiVo, then while it's playing enter following remote sequence in quick succession:
Select,Play,Select,Pause,Select

Old 05-09-2014, 09:21 AM   #237
alleybj

When I do that it pauses the video, the ad pulls up and then I select the ad; any thoughts?
alleybj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:41 AM   #238
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleybj View Post
When I do that it pauses the video, the ad pulls up and then I select the ad; any thoughts?
While ad is showing hide it by pressing down arrow, then resume play, press clear button, then enter the sequence above.

Old 05-09-2014, 11:24 AM   #239
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Only the cable company box you pay a premium for. The TiVo costs much less.
cable DVR costs about 14.99 a month. Tivo costs about $14.99 a month. I'm not talking about your multi multi multi discounts since you have something like 7, right? Just talking base new user cost per month.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:57 PM   #240
moyekj

Quote:
cable DVR costs about 14.99 a month. Tivo costs about $14.99 a month. I'm not talking about your multi multi multi discounts since you have something like 7, right? Just talking base new user cost per month.
I think he's talking about over the long run, if you get lifetime vs perpetually paying monthly as is case with cable company, and I think he also factors in selling older units on eBay to recover some of the up front cost when upgrading to new models, etc. i.e. It CAN be cheaper over the long run, but that depends on several factors and won't apply to everyone. I always tell people that you shouldn't consider TiVo simply if your only goal is to save money, I say consider TiVo if you want a better experience than your cable company DVR can provide.