TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-04-2014, 06:15 PM   #61
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I still don't get that. If you don't know the outcome or anything about the game, how can it be less exciting watching it from a dvr that has already recorded it?

What makes a live game less exciting for me is all the commercials. Which is why I don't want to watch it live. Take the NFL. Actual game play where there is any action is only around 12 minutes of the actual sixty minute game. The rest of the 48 minutes are mostly players standing around. Then you add time outs, commercials, and talking heads and that adds another two hours of mostly nothing to the three hour plus game that is broadcast.
Just because I know it's not live. I like seeing some commercials, but if they put the same ones on over and over it gets pretty bad.

Basketball is a lot better than NFL for actual gameplay time...
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:08 PM   #62
javabird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
Of course there are transmission delays. But if I'm watching it later, it's far less exciting, as I know it's not live.

It's a waste of channels. That's what Netflix is for.
"Waste" is a subjective term. It's not a waste to me because I don't have Netflix and I enjoy them. I think paying $8 extra for Netflix is a waste, if I can get the same thing free. Again, value is subjective.
javabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:22 PM   #63
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by javabird View Post
"Waste" is a subjective term. It's not a waste to me because I don't have Netflix and I enjoy them. I think paying $8 extra for Netflix is a waste, if I can get the same thing free. Again, value is subjective.
That bandwidth could be used for something that isn't kicking around in a zillion other places.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:18 AM   #64
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
Otherwise, NO! OnDemand is horrible. They don't let you FF anything, they just delete stuff from the library whenever they feel like it. Linear TV is here to stay. Also, what about live events?
That's not true, FF in Comcast's On Demand depends on the content provider. All HBO can be FF'd, for example. Agree that with the other limitations it can only supplement QAM delivery now.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:08 PM   #65
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
That's not true, FF in Comcast's On Demand depends on the content provider. All HBO can be FF'd, for example. Agree that with the other limitations it can only supplement QAM delivery now.
Fair enough. But most of it is un FF-able now. Not sure why anyone would even use XoD. It really sucks. For TV content, I'll just DVR it. For movies, I'm not going to watch a crummy MPEG-2 stream when I can stream VUDU HDX.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:46 PM   #66
JosephB

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Why would HBO not allow you to fast forward through their content? The whole point of restricting fast forward is to force you to watch advertising, which HBO doesn't have.

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
JosephB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:58 PM   #67
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephB View Post
Why would HBO not allow you to fast forward through their content? The whole point of restricting fast forward is to force you to watch advertising, which HBO doesn't have.
But don't they have VOD where you can't fast forward through anything? EVen though there are only a few minutes of commercials you can't FF through the content or the commercials? AT least that is what my co-workers sometime complain about when watching VOD on Comcast.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:22 PM   #68
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

My understanding in my area is that recent network shows on most, but not all, networks cannot be FF on TiVo Xfinity On Demand, but archived shows can be FF. It's been a while since I tried it out, and I won't be back in Comcast-land for another month so I can't test it.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:44 PM   #69
JosephB

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
But don't they have VOD where you can't fast forward through anything? EVen though there are only a few minutes of commercials you can't FF through the content or the commercials? AT least that is what my co-workers sometime complain about when watching VOD on Comcast.
Maybe, I don't know. It would make sense that it's based on the individual content and not disabled system-wide. I've never had a cable company provided set top box so I couldn't tell you.

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
JosephB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:26 PM   #70
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephB View Post
Maybe, I don't know. It would make sense that it's based on the individual content and not disabled system-wide. I've never had a cable company provided set top box so I couldn't tell you.
It's part of the deal with the content provider so they can sell teh ads.

On UVerse VoD you sometimes get the message "Fast Fording may be disabled." but sometimes FF works anyway. Rewinding and jumpback always work.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:32 PM   #71
Bigg

VOD is a cluster. I love TiVo, since I don't need to use VOD, since I have a TiVo.