TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-07-2014, 01:50 PM   #1
phositadc

Question about using Roamio with an Antenna (Leaf)

Thinking about cancelling my cable and DVR subscription (so sick of paying $17/mo for the DVR), getting an antenna (Mohu Leaf), and using a Roamio. A couple of quick questions:

1) How exactly does the Roamio get TV Guide information if I'm using an Antenna? Will I have to manually tell it what channels I get? I assume that if I were using Verizon or Comcast, I would just tell the Roamio who my provider is, and it would know what channel guide to download. But how does that work with an antenna?

2) Will it still have the capability of recording 2, 3, or 4 shows at once with a single antenna? I pretty much never need the option to do more than 2 (especially if I only have an antenna), but I'm just curious if it's even possible.

Hmm... I think that's it. Thanks in advance for any answers.
phositadc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:43 PM   #2
twylie

You put in your zip code during setup and it will pull data for the universe of channels you can likely get. From there, you'll deselect the ones you don't receive or want to show in the guide data.

Yes, you can record up to 4 shows with the single antenna feed. The tuners in the Roamio are split off the incoming Coax feed from your antenna.

I initially set my Roamio basic up using the zip code guide data and it was dead on from what I remember. I have since switched to a CableCard from Comcast and once going through the setup again, it's now using the guide data for Comcast programming. Interestingly enough, the Season Passes I setup under the OTA antenna for the most part migrated on their own to the proper channels once I installed the CableCard. It was intelligent enough to know the network mappings as well as recoding on the HD feeds where available.

I know the payback period is at least a couple of years vs Comcast HD box, but it's such a better experience and not getting hit with an HD Tech Fee as well as $17 per HD TV makes it all the sweeter. Previously, we only had HD going to 2 TV's, now with the Roamio and Minis, I'm able to get full use of our other TV's in HD even if we only use them infrequently. Since you're ditching cable completely, a handful of months shoudl get you enough savings to cover the upfront hardware costs, even with a Lifetime subscription.
twylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:42 PM   #3
spaldingclan

you scan for channels during Guided Setup. It will use the antennae to see what you can pull in. After that you can unselect channels you dont want to show in your guide (for me its the Spanish language stations)
spaldingclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:29 PM   #4
phositadc

Thanks to both of you for the replies.
phositadc is offline   Reply With Quote