TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-07-2014, 11:16 AM   #1
jedilord

Push show into existing group?

I have existing series recordings on the tivo (non-pushed) and I want to insert some more (back-fill) into the particular series. I did a pull of one to get the right meta data (seriesId, programId), yet it just refuses to join the group.

Thoughts?
jedilord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:09 PM   #2
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Please post your Tivo model -- I believe this behavior varies with that.

Do they group OK if you pull them?

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:38 PM   #3
jedilord

Sorry, I have a Roamio Plus and Pro.

Actually, it did go into the existing group when I pulled it. Is this the only way - is pyTivo not pushing a particular meta data item required?

A similar issue - push/pulling items that don't have existing groups - even using the correct seriesId/programId, won't show the thumbnail. I presume the tivo uses those Id's to pull thumbnails from TMS or similar service. Not as big of an issue, but would be nice.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:42 PM   #4
cherry ghost

I believe only pulls will get grouped with already existing recorded shows.

For thumbnails, it has to be a pull and the show has to be in the guide.
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:49 PM   #5
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

It can't be done, unless the existing group was created by a push, and you use the same source ID. Pushes generate their own seriesIds, which you cannot specify directly -- you can only specify the "source". pyTivo uses the metadata's seriesId, seriesTitle or Title as the source ID, but it's mind.tivo.com that creates the seriesId (which is never the same as the source ID).

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:22 PM   #6
jedilord

So, what I've learned today is:

1) You can't push your own stuff into Tivo created groups (real seriesId not being sent over due to limitations)
2) Thumbnails only show if you A) Metadata contains "programId" and that programId being current in the guide data (that episode is in the guide) B) you pull the video over.

It's cool that Tivo created a device that allows much more than a box from a cable/fios co will provide. Can't argue too much - would be nice to have more flexibility over some of the little things.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:43 PM   #7
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedilord View Post
2) Thumbnails only show if you A) Metadata contains "programId" and that programId being current in the guide data (that episode is in the guide) B) you pull the video over.

I think I was wrong about A, but someone correct me if this is also wrong. I think you'll also get a thumbnail on a pull if the show(any episode) is available through one of your selected "video providers"; Amazon, Netflix, etc.
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 04:06 PM   #8
jedilord

I did a test with a show (Mickey Mouse - kids...) ... I found a EP that was in the guide. Created the meta file with the correct seriesId and programId (EP from zap2it)...pulled it over. Have thumbnail - great!
Keeping same file, but changing the meta file with a programId for an EP not in the guide and no thumbnail.

To me, it appears that for thumbnail at-least, the programId has to exists in the guide (or maybe a 3rd party video provider - netflix, etc). I've spent too many hours figuring out how it works. I'm sure there are gotchas though.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:47 PM   #9
n2lovell

TTCB/MRV content rules...

The rules for the current release for S4+S5 are essentially this:
For a tv series:
If the program is in pgd, it uses the pgd.
If its not in pgd then:
If its ever been imported into the mind, then it will be looked up based on the title, episodeTitle, and possibly an id based on the series.
It then will optionally use the passed programId to disambiguate between multiple matches (if there are multiple matches and a programId was passed).

For a movie:
I think its broken in the current release for TTCB, but can work for MRV'd content that isn't in guide data.
It looks up the film based on the movieYear + title, then can use the passed programId to disambiguate between multiple matches.

*If* a match is found, then it supplements the passed data with the data that was looked up on the mind (it won't overwrite anything).
It quite noticeable if it works since the category fields, season # and episode # will get pulled over (that and it should get poster art).

There are some further caveats to this in the current release, but its still far better than it used to be.

It is marginally better in the next software release (better at matching for movies or if the padding on the given programId differ between the passedId and the mind); although there still is the *very* occasional failure for data that is present in the mind.
n2lovell is offline   Reply With Quote