TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-06-2014, 08:48 AM   #1
Mister B

Activate used Lifetime unit

I am waiting on a refurbished 648250 from Weaknees that already has Lifetime service. I have an inactive account on the Tivo website from units I owned in the past. Will I need to activate or register the Lifetime unit? The only advantage I can see if the unit is fully functional on arrival would be if I have OTA RF frequency issues (as I certainly had in the past) or guide problems. Please share thoughts on this issue.
Mister B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:05 AM   #2
jrtroo
User

What is your question? Just call up tivo and have the box added to your account.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:05 AM   #3
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister B View Post
I am waiting on a refurbished 648250 from Weaknees that already has Lifetime service. I have an inactive account on the Tivo website from units I owned in the past. Will I need to activate or register the Lifetime unit? The only advantage I can see if the unit is fully functional on arrival would be if I have OTA RF frequency issues (as I certainly had in the past) or guide problems. Please share thoughts on this issue.
Just turn the TiVo on make a call home or set up the TiVo and your Lifetime will come back, the TiVo web sight is not needed.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:27 AM   #4
mr.unnatural

It should literally be plug and play. The only reason to ever register it on your account is if you want to add more Tivos and get the MSD. I believe you will also need to register it if you want to access the Tivo remotely for scheduling. There may be other reasons, but I haven't had a Tivo in a while so I'm not sure what other features might require having your Tivo registered.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 11:27 AM   #5
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Just turn the TiVo on make a call home or set up the TiVo and your Lifetime will come back, the TiVo web sight is not needed.
That's not what is being asked.
He's buying a used tivo with a lifetime sub.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:31 AM   #6
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
It should literally be plug and play. The only reason to ever register it on your account is if you want to add more Tivos and get the MSD. I believe you will also need to register it if you want to access the Tivo remotely for scheduling. There may be other reasons, but I haven't had a Tivo in a while so I'm not sure what other features might require having your Tivo registered.
If there is any issue that would lead to a call to customer service, they would require it be on the users own account.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:52 PM   #7
squint

I bought a busted lifetime Tivo HD off of eBay last fall. As soon as I got it working, I used Tivo's online chat support and had it added to my account. That was followed by a call to Comcast to pair the Cablecard.

It's also nice to move it off the previous owner's account so they can't setup season passes for your or see what you're watching.

Last edited by squint : 05-06-2014 at 12:57 PM.
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 02:27 PM   #8
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
That's not what is being asked.
He's buying a used tivo with a lifetime sub.
He still has to set it up the TiVo for his cable/OTA service, and the Lifetime service will be on the unit, getting the TiVo xfered to your own TiVo account is a good idea but not required to use the Lifetime TiVo.

Old 05-06-2014, 02:32 PM   #9
Mister B

Thanks, that is about what I thought. I imagine it would work without calling Tivo or visiting their website, but most likely some channel or guide issue will come up and I would have to be a registered user to deal with it. I would rather do it online if possible. I was just a bit hesitant to deal with Tivo as it can be unpleasant.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:20 PM   #10
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Another benefit of registering is if you have any recordings saved in the .tivo format from your prior TiVo's, to transfer them to the new one, the MAK must match which can only be done by registering the new Tivo to an existing if currently used online account/registered.
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:36 PM   #11
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister B View Post
Have weaKnees contact TiVo to inform them of the sale and get a reference number you can provide to TiVo when you contact them to put this unit on your account and that'll probably be the most painless way to handle it, although even without the number it's not all that big a hassle.

Having it on your account may come in handy.

I can't think of any particular benefit to not having it on your account.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:24 AM   #12
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
He still has to set it up the TiVo for his cable/OTA service, and the Lifetime service will be on the unit, getting the TiVo xfered to your own TiVo account is a good idea but not required to use the Lifetime TiVo.
Of course he has to set it up, and of course the lifetime sub will be on it (why wouldn't it be?) but those facts don't magically make your previous statement relevant to the issue.

Q: I'm buying a lifetime tivo, do I need to put it on my account?
A: When you set it up the lifetime sub will be there.
???

Last edited by scandia101 : 05-08-2014 at 12:51 AM.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:58 AM   #13
replaytv
Lunatic Fringe

Don't feed the troll, it only encourages him. Let him have the last word instead of wasting your time.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:50 PM   #14
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by replaytv View Post
Don't feed the troll, it only encourages him. Let him have the last word instead of wasting your time.
You mean instead of wasting everyone else's time.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:21 AM   #15
Mister B

Got It, Did It

I received my Series 3 OLED from Weaknees yesterday, set it up with no problem. It was of course already activated but as we had discussed I would rather have it on my account so if I have any future guide related problems I can easily report them. I could not add the unit on my existing account myself as the only option is to activate a unit and when I entered the serial number it showed that it was already activated. So, I had to call Tivo but it was actually painless and the new (to me) unit showed up on my account right away. No Problem!
Old 05-09-2014, 04:03 PM   #16
advocate2

I have a Series 3 I purchased new in 2007. Last week I picked up a new XL4 with lifetime from Tivo. I had also picked up a used Premiere and a used Premiere XL from the Bay.

After I hooked up my XL4, I called to cancel the Premiere. I was elevated to the cancellation person. She offered me the $99 lifetime on the Premiere. I asked, "Since you are so nice, would it be possible to get lifetime on the XL since I am thinking about cancelling that unit as well?"

She checked and offered the $99 lifetime on each unit.

Given that I only paid $40 for the Premiere and $75 for the XL, I feel like I got great deals. Thanks for all the advice.
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 11:12 AM   #17
aaronwt
HD Addict

You did get a great deal! Lifetime for $99 is always a great deal!!
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:23 PM   #18
advocate2

The lesson of the story is that picking up 3 year old Premiere gives a good probability of getting a low price lifetime.
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote