TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2014, 02:36 PM   #61
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am
 
scandia101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MN, greater TC metro area
Posts: 8,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by markp99 View Post
I must admit I am developing a small crush on Deputy Molly Solverson - her tenacity is awesome

Deputy what? deputy police officer? In local law enforcement, "deputy" is a designation used by sheriff's depts, not the police. The only time a police dept would have someone with a deputy title would be deputy chief or deputy commissioner or some other higher ranking position.

Why is a patrol officer investigating multiple murders?

And where is the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension in all of this? Crimes like these and even many lesser crimes are NEVER left to local yokels to investigate.

I don't know if I can watch any more of this ridiculous nonsense
__________________
discipuli nostrum bardissimi sunt.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:25 AM   #62
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 33,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
Deputy what? deputy police officer? In local law enforcement, "deputy" is a designation used by sheriff's depts, not the police. The only time a police dept would have someone with a deputy title would be deputy chief or deputy commissioner or some other higher ranking position.

Why is a patrol officer investigating multiple murders?

And where is the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension in all of this? Crimes like these and even many lesser crimes are NEVER left to local yokels to investigate.

I don't know if I can watch any more of this ridiculous nonsense
Don't let reality get in the way of a good story If I stopped watching half the shows that screw up NY area stuff, I'd probably have an almost full DVR.

The Good Wife is my favorite drama on broadcast TV, but everytime they show a street scene that is so obviously NY I cringe.
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:35 AM   #63
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer
 
Bierboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Quad Sillies
Posts: 11,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
...I don't know if I can watch any more of this ridiculous nonsense
Seriously? You ARE kidding....right?
__________________
"You don't know Bierboy like I know Bierboy. He became a lot more amusing after I figured out his sense of humor..." -- Rob Helmerichs

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:33 AM   #64
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am
 
scandia101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MN, greater TC metro area
Posts: 8,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Seriously? You ARE kidding....right?
Uhm, no.
__________________
discipuli nostrum bardissimi sunt.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:07 PM   #65
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer
 
Bierboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Quad Sillies
Posts: 11,350
As Steveknj said, it's just a story...entertainment...teevee...
__________________
"You don't know Bierboy like I know Bierboy. He became a lot more amusing after I figured out his sense of humor..." -- Rob Helmerichs

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 01:29 PM   #66
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am
 
scandia101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MN, greater TC metro area
Posts: 8,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
As Steveknj said, it's just a story...entertainment...teevee...
Hard to believe that you've never stopped watching a tv show because you didn't like it.
__________________
discipuli nostrum bardissimi sunt.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 01:56 PM   #67
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer
 
Bierboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Quad Sillies
Posts: 11,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
Hard to believe that you've never stopped watching a tv show because you didn't like it.
But that's not what you said...you went on and on about "...this ridiculous nonsense".

Most, if not all, shows include "ridiculous nonsense". That's part of what makes it television. And, as Steveknj alluded to, we'd hardly be watching anything if that was the criterion for not watching.
__________________
"You don't know Bierboy like I know Bierboy. He became a lot more amusing after I figured out his sense of humor..." -- Rob Helmerichs

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 02:23 PM   #68
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 33,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
But that's not what you said...you went on and on about "...this ridiculous nonsense".

Most, if not all, shows include "ridiculous nonsense". That's part of what makes it television. And, as Steveknj alluded to, we'd hardly be watching anything if that was the criterion for not watching.
I do get that things CAN take you out of the story for some people. Not being from Minnesota I can't relate to the things scandia is seeing. Perhaps it's SO over the top that it becomes annoying. That said, I can get past most of that stuff if the story around it is compelling, which I find Fargo. I've always found a lot of aspect about how NJ is portrayed in The Sopranos as over the top and stereotypical. But dayum, those stories were interesting!!! If I let all that stuff get to me, I would have missed out on something I enjoyed.

Scandia, If you don't like it that's fine. We all have stuff we don't enjoy. I guess what we are saying is that if those are the reasons you don't like it, maybe just let them go and enjoy the story and forget it takes place in Minnesota. Much of what is going on could have been set in any small town in the US and tweaked for that setting. 99.9% of us watching could care less which police force has jurisdiction. The point of it is that the lady officer just won't let go of it, not that she shouldn't even be investigating it in the first place.
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 02:25 PM   #69
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am
 
scandia101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MN, greater TC metro area
Posts: 8,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
But that's not what you said...you went on and on about "...this ridiculous nonsense".
I'm sorry that you were confused and thought that I was enjoying what I called ridiculous nonsense. I think most people understood me to mean that I didn't like it, but I'll try to be more clear in the future.

and I'm still trying to figure out why you think saying (in essence) - sure you think it's crap , but its just a story, entertainment, tv so keep watching it - has any actual merit or makes any sense at all.
__________________
discipuli nostrum bardissimi sunt.

Last edited by scandia101 : 05-06-2014 at 02:36 PM.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 02:27 PM   #70
markp99
TakoKichi
 
markp99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 8,528
I suppose similar to the movies I've seen with painfully butchered Boston accents. I'd probably opt for turning off Fargo for such a flagrant foul.
markp99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 02:28 PM   #71
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am
 
scandia101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MN, greater TC metro area
Posts: 8,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I do get that things CAN take you out of the story for some people. Not being from Minnesota I can't relate to the things scandia is seeing. Perhaps it's SO over the top that it becomes annoying. That said, I can get past most of that stuff if the story around it is compelling, which I find Fargo. I've always found a lot of aspect about how NJ is portrayed in The Sopranos as over the top and stereotypical. But dayum, those stories were interesting!!! If I let all that stuff get to me, I would have missed out on something I enjoyed.

Scandia, If you don't like it that's fine. We all have stuff we don't enjoy. I guess what we are saying is that if those are the reasons you don't like it, maybe just let them go and enjoy the story and forget it takes place in Minnesota. Much of what is going on could have been set in any small town in the US and tweaked for that setting. 99.9% of us watching could care less which police force has jurisdiction. The point of it is that the lady officer just won't let go of it, not that she shouldn't even be investigating it in the first place.
Gosh, when you put it that way...

__________________
discipuli nostrum bardissimi sunt.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 02:32 PM   #72
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer
 
Bierboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Quad Sillies
Posts: 11,350
I could care less that it's in Minnesota...it could be in Alberta or the Ukraine for all I care. I find the show's structure to be fascinating and unlike most everything else on TV right now.
__________________
"You don't know Bierboy like I know Bierboy. He became a lot more amusing after I figured out his sense of humor..." -- Rob Helmerichs

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 02:33 PM   #73
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer
 
Bierboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Quad Sillies
Posts: 11,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
I'm sorry that you were confused and thought that I was enjoying what I called ridiculous nonsense. I think most people understood me to mean that I didn't like it, but I'll try to be more clear in the future.
Oh I certainly understood that you don't like it....it's just that when someone drones on and on about "ridiculous nonsense" they could be talking about almost any show these days
__________________
"You don't know Bierboy like I know Bierboy. He became a lot more amusing after I figured out his sense of humor..." -- Rob Helmerichs

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 02:35 PM   #74
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 33,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
I could care less that it's in Minnesota...it could be in Alberta or the Ukraine for all I care. I find the show's structure to be fascinating and unlike most everything else on TV right now.
well it IS in Alberta
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:39 PM   #75
AeneaGames
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
Deputy what? deputy police officer? In local law enforcement, "deputy" is a designation used by sheriff's depts, not the police. The only time a police dept would have someone with a deputy title would be deputy chief or deputy commissioner or some other higher ranking position.
Good thing she works for a sheriff's dept. then, huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
Why is a patrol officer investigating multiple murders?
She's not supposed to, but she just does even when the new Sheriff told her not to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
And where is the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension in all of this? Crimes like these and even many lesser crimes are NEVER left to local yokels to investigate.
You got me there, didn't even know such a thing existed.

Although looking at their website it says this:
Death Investigations - The BCA provides investigative assistance in death investigations upon request by a local law enforcement agency. This service is requested most frequently by agencies without the resources to conduct an investigation of this scale.

So if the local Sheriff doesn't see the need to request their help they won't be there.

Funny though is that they have a regional office in Bemidji.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
I don't know if I can watch any more of this ridiculous nonsense
This sounds a little strong though, but apparently it's just not your thing.
AeneaGames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:01 PM   #76
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am
 
scandia101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MN, greater TC metro area
Posts: 8,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeneaGames View Post
Good thing she works for a sheriff's dept. then, huh?

Deputy sheriffs wouldn't have shoulder patches that say POLICE (see markp99's pic) and the guy in charge is the Sheriff not the Chief and it certainly doesn't say "CHIEF OF POLICE" on his office door


and the Sheriff's dept does not use cars with the word "POLICE" printed on the side.


so I don't get why you think it's so clear that she works for the sheriff's dept.
__________________
discipuli nostrum bardissimi sunt.

Last edited by scandia101 : 05-11-2014 at 12:36 AM.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 02:02 AM   #77
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME
 
Jesda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The Middle
Posts: 12,547
No one here works in law enforcement.

It's fictional.

Go yell at some birds.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


My blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 02:22 AM   #78
capriz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Oregon
Posts: 136
I dug the callback to the movie when BBT throws in a 'Go Bearsss'
capriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 03:37 AM   #79
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!
 
Rob Helmerichs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 30,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
No one here works in law enforcement.

It's fictional.
Now you're just being silly.

It says right at the beginning this is a true story.

Sheesh, can't you read?!?
__________________
“This is the moment of truth. Are you my friend, or are you some bloodsucking network vampire?”
“Why do I have to pick one or the other?”
Rob Helmerichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 12:57 PM   #80
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am
 
scandia101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MN, greater TC metro area
Posts: 8,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
No one here works in law enforcement.

It's fictional.

Go yell at some birds.

__________________
discipuli nostrum bardissimi sunt.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 01:09 PM   #81
sharkster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NV
Posts: 2,343
I remember when Reno 911 was on - they called their department 'Reno Sheriff's Department' (or something like that). We don't have that entity in Reno at all. But I figured it was just a tv show.

When they showed the airport it looked nothing like ours. It looked a lot like the Ontario (S. Ca, not Canada) airport to me. But I figured it was just a tv show.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 02:11 PM   #82
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am
 
scandia101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MN, greater TC metro area
Posts: 8,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
I remember when Reno 911 was on - they called their department 'Reno Sheriff's Department' (or something like that). We don't have that entity in Reno at all. But I figured it was just a tv show.
The difference is that Reno 911 chose a law enforcement agency and stuck with it. Fargo wants to mix the sheriff's and police depts into one. Fargo makes them look like the sheriff's dept with the brown uniforms and calling them deputies whenever possible to help sell the rural, hick, Barney Fife aspect but slap the word police on everything to give them actual credibility.
__________________
discipuli nostrum bardissimi sunt.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 02:34 PM   #83
getreal
postcrastinator
 
getreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,399
If I can't stand a show, I just don't watch it and also don't complain about it in threads dedicated to the show. But that's just me. It's not worth the time watching something I dislike, and even more of a waste of life monitoring and posting in forum threads of shows I don't like.

Aw heck, call your Mother ... it's Mother's Day, for gosh sakes! Or take your wife for drinks and get 'er hammered .... oops!
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 02:52 PM   #84
john4200
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by getreal View Post
If I can't stand a show, I just don't watch it and also don't complain about it in threads dedicated to the show.
But you apparently do complain in the threads about people's posts that you do not like.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 05:35 PM   #85
AeneaGames
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
so I don't get why you think it's so clear that she works for the sheriff's dept.
Wow, okay, well ehhh, I actually kinda assumed it was a Sheriff's dept.!

Silly me
AeneaGames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:38 PM   #86
getreal
postcrastinator
 
getreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
But you apparently do complain in the threads about people's posts that you do not like.
I wasn't complaining. I was just saying.

For instance, I kept silent here throughout the long and torturously ridiculous posts about how people refer to streets. Ugh!

We all have our methods of enjoying dramatic and humorous works of fiction and fantasy. I don't really expect to convert someone here into viewing things the same way as I do. I, for one, can't deal with the inanity of "Two Broke Girls" for instance, so I stay out of those threads.

Enjoy the show or not, and "have a blessed day".
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVo® is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:56 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |