Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-05-2014, 02:36 PM   #61
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp99 View Post
I must admit I am developing a small crush on Deputy Molly Solverson - her tenacity is awesome

Deputy what? deputy police officer? In local law enforcement, "deputy" is a designation used by sheriff's depts, not the police. The only time a police dept would have someone with a deputy title would be deputy chief or deputy commissioner or some other higher ranking position.

Why is a patrol officer investigating multiple murders?

And where is the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension in all of this? Crimes like these and even many lesser crimes are NEVER left to local yokels to investigate.

I don't know if I can watch any more of this ridiculous nonsense
Old 05-06-2014, 08:25 AM   #62
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
Deputy what? deputy police officer? In local law enforcement, "deputy" is a designation used by sheriff's depts, not the police. The only time a police dept would have someone with a deputy title would be deputy chief or deputy commissioner or some other higher ranking position.

And where is the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension in all of this? Crimes like these and even many lesser crimes are NEVER left to local yokels to investigate.

Don't let reality get in the way of a good story If I stopped watching half the shows that screw up NY area stuff, I'd probably have an almost full DVR.

The Good Wife is my favorite drama on broadcast TV, but everytime they show a street scene that is so obviously NY I cringe.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:35 AM   #63
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
...I don't know if I can watch any more of this ridiculous nonsense
Seriously? You ARE kidding....right?

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:33 AM   #64
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Seriously? You ARE kidding....right?
Uhm, no.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:07 PM   #65
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

As Steveknj said, it's just a story...entertainment...teevee...

XL4
Old 05-06-2014, 01:29 PM   #66
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
As Steveknj said, it's just a story...entertainment...teevee...
Hard to believe that you've never stopped watching a tv show because you didn't like it.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:56 PM   #67
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Hard to believe that you've never stopped watching a tv show because you didn't like it.
But that's not what you said...you went on and on about "...this ridiculous nonsense".

Most, if not all, shows include "ridiculous nonsense". That's part of what makes it television. And, as Steveknj alluded to, we'd hardly be watching anything if that was the criterion for not watching.

XL4
Old 05-06-2014, 02:23 PM   #68
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
But that's not what you said...you went on and on about "...this ridiculous nonsense".

Most, if not all, shows include "ridiculous nonsense". That's part of what makes it television. And, as Steveknj alluded to, we'd hardly be watching anything if that was the criterion for not watching.
I do get that things CAN take you out of the story for some people. Not being from Minnesota I can't relate to the things scandia is seeing. Perhaps it's SO over the top that it becomes annoying. That said, I can get past most of that stuff if the story around it is compelling, which I find Fargo. I've always found a lot of aspect about how NJ is portrayed in The Sopranos as over the top and stereotypical. But dayum, those stories were interesting!!! If I let all that stuff get to me, I would have missed out on something I enjoyed.

Scandia, If you don't like it that's fine. We all have stuff we don't enjoy. I guess what we are saying is that if those are the reasons you don't like it, maybe just let them go and enjoy the story and forget it takes place in Minnesota. Much of what is going on could have been set in any small town in the US and tweaked for that setting. 99.9% of us watching could care less which police force has jurisdiction. The point of it is that the lady officer just won't let go of it, not that she shouldn't even be investigating it in the first place.
Old 05-06-2014, 02:25 PM   #69
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
I'm sorry that you were confused and thought that I was enjoying what I called ridiculous nonsense. I think most people understood me to mean that I didn't like it, but I'll try to be more clear in the future.

and I'm still trying to figure out why you think saying (in essence) - sure you think it's crap , but its just a story, entertainment, tv so keep watching it - has any actual merit or makes any sense at all.

Last edited by scandia101 : 05-06-2014 at 02:36 PM.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 02:27 PM   #70
markp99
TakoKichi

I suppose similar to the movies I've seen with painfully butchered Boston accents. I'd probably opt for turning off Fargo for such a flagrant foul.
markp99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 02:28 PM   #71
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I do get that things CAN take you out of the story for some people. Not being from Minnesota I can't relate to the things scandia is seeing. Perhaps it's SO over the top that it becomes annoying. That said, I can get past most of that stuff if the story around it is compelling, which I find Fargo. I've always found a lot of aspect about how NJ is portrayed in The Sopranos as over the top and stereotypical. But dayum, those stories were interesting!!! If I let all that stuff get to me, I would have missed out on something I enjoyed.

Scandia, If you don't like it that's fine. We all have stuff we don't enjoy. I guess what we are saying is that if those are the reasons you don't like it, maybe just let them go and enjoy the story and forget it takes place in Minnesota. Much of what is going on could have been set in any small town in the US and tweaked for that setting. 99.9% of us watching could care less which police force has jurisdiction. The point of it is that the lady officer just won't let go of it, not that she shouldn't even be investigating it in the first place.
Gosh, when you put it that way...

Old 05-06-2014, 02:32 PM   #72
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

I could care less that it's in Minnesota...it could be in Alberta or the Ukraine for all I care. I find the show's structure to be fascinating and unlike most everything else on TV right now.

XL4
Old 05-06-2014, 02:33 PM   #73
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
I'm sorry that you were confused and thought that I was enjoying what I called ridiculous nonsense. I think most people understood me to mean that I didn't like it, but I'll try to be more clear in the future.
Oh I certainly understood that you don't like it....it's just that when someone drones on and on about "ridiculous nonsense" they could be talking about almost any show these days

XL4
Old 05-06-2014, 02:35 PM   #74
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
I could care less that it's in Minnesota...it could be in Alberta or the Ukraine for all I care. I find the show's structure to be fascinating and unlike most everything else on TV right now.
well it IS in Alberta
Old 05-09-2014, 10:39 PM   #75
AeneaGames

Quote:
Good thing she works for a sheriff's dept. then, huh?

Quote:
She's not supposed to, but she just does even when the new Sheriff told her not to.

Quote:
You got me there, didn't even know such a thing existed.

Although looking at their website it says this:
Death Investigations - The BCA provides investigative assistance in death investigations upon request by a local law enforcement agency. This service is requested most frequently by agencies without the resources to conduct an investigation of this scale.

So if the local Sheriff doesn't see the need to request their help they won't be there.

Funny though is that they have a regional office in Bemidji.

Quote:
This sounds a little strong though, but apparently it's just not your thing.
AeneaGames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:01 PM   #76
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeneaGames View Post
Good thing she works for a sheriff's dept. then, huh?

Deputy sheriffs wouldn't have shoulder patches that say POLICE (see markp99's pic) and the guy in charge is the Sheriff not the Chief and it certainly doesn't say "CHIEF OF POLICE" on his office door

and the Sheriff's dept does not use cars with the word "POLICE" printed on the side.

so I don't get why you think it's so clear that she works for the sheriff's dept.

Last edited by scandia101 : 05-11-2014 at 12:36 AM.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 02:02 AM   #77
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

No one here works in law enforcement.

It's fictional.

Go yell at some birds.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 02:22 AM   #78
capriz

I dug the callback to the movie when BBT throws in a 'Go Bearsss'
capriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 03:37 AM   #79
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesda View Post

It's fictional.
Now you're just being silly.

It says right at the beginning this is a true story.

Sheesh, can't you read?!?
Old 05-11-2014, 12:57 PM   #80
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesda View Post

It's fictional.

Go yell at some birds.

Old 05-11-2014, 01:09 PM   #81
sharkster

I remember when Reno 911 was on - they called their department 'Reno Sheriff's Department' (or something like that). We don't have that entity in Reno at all. But I figured it was just a tv show.

When they showed the airport it looked nothing like ours. It looked a lot like the Ontario (S. Ca, not Canada) airport to me. But I figured it was just a tv show.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 02:11 PM   #82
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
I remember when Reno 911 was on - they called their department 'Reno Sheriff's Department' (or something like that). We don't have that entity in Reno at all. But I figured it was just a tv show.
The difference is that Reno 911 chose a law enforcement agency and stuck with it. Fargo wants to mix the sheriff's and police depts into one. Fargo makes them look like the sheriff's dept with the brown uniforms and calling them deputies whenever possible to help sell the rural, hick, Barney Fife aspect but slap the word police on everything to give them actual credibility.
Old 05-11-2014, 02:34 PM   #83
getreal
postcrastinator

If I can't stand a show, I just don't watch it and also don't complain about it in threads dedicated to the show. But that's just me. It's not worth the time watching something I dislike, and even more of a waste of life monitoring and posting in forum threads of shows I don't like.

Aw heck, call your Mother ... it's Mother's Day, for gosh sakes! Or take your wife for drinks and get 'er hammered .... oops!

getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 02:52 PM   #84
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by getreal View Post
If I can't stand a show, I just don't watch it and also don't complain about it in threads dedicated to the show.
But you apparently do complain in the threads about people's posts that you do not like.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 05:35 PM   #85
AeneaGames

Quote:
so I don't get why you think it's so clear that she works for the sheriff's dept.
Wow, okay, well ehhh, I actually kinda assumed it was a Sheriff's dept.!

Silly me
AeneaGames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:38 PM   #86
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
But you apparently do complain in the threads about people's posts that you do not like.
I wasn't complaining. I was just saying.

For instance, I kept silent here throughout the long and torturously ridiculous posts about how people refer to streets. Ugh!

We all have our methods of enjoying dramatic and humorous works of fiction and fantasy. I don't really expect to convert someone here into viewing things the same way as I do. I, for one, can't deal with the inanity of "Two Broke Girls" for instance, so I stay out of those threads.

Enjoy the show or not, and "have a blessed day".

getreal is offline   Reply With Quote