TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-05-2014, 09:45 AM   #1
filovirus

Tivo Product Lifecycle Duration

Just curious how long the Tivo sells a particular hardware model based on past models.

I have a Premiere XL 2 tuner with Lifetime that I bought in 2012 and I have considered selling the unit and replacing it with a basic or plus. On the other hand, the frugal person is saying sit tight and when new hardware is released, move the roamio pro to the premiere, sell it and buy the latest and greatest.

Thanks,
Filo
filovirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:29 AM   #2
steve614
what ru lookin at?

If you're asking when the next model Tivo will come, I'd say it will be in about 3-4 years, based on previous release dates.
IIRC, Series 3/TivoHD came out ~2006, Premiere - 2010, and Roamio - late 2013.

I wouldn't necessarily count on TiVo coming out with a newer model. The Roamio is about as sophisticated as you can get these days, and you never know what can happen in 3 years. TiVo may be out of business by then...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:49 AM   #3
chicagobrownblue

TiVo is getting out of the hardware business. The Roamio line is probably the end of the line.

http://gigaom.com/2014/01/22/tivo-re...neering-staff/
RCN Signature HD but no premium channels
Panasonic TC-42PX14 42" 720p plasma HDTV
Sony BDP-S360 Blu-ray Player Refurb $59
chicagobrownblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:29 AM   #4
jrtroo
User

That does not mean they will not have a box to sell. They could just contract it out to a group like Pace.

OP- you cannot move lifetime to a new box, but you do get a bit of a discount to purchase lifetime. If you want more tuners, and keep on having software improvements, upgrade. At some time premieres will no longer have OS improvements...
Old 05-05-2014, 11:39 AM   #5
filovirus

I was going to sell the premiere to recoop part of the lifetime I paid on it during 2012 and put it towards a basic or plus. Now I have learned the basic roamio does not have component output, so my sling 350 won't work on it without using hdmi. I would prefer to stay component for this reason. Looks like the premiere xl needs to stay. It works fine and it is a lesser watched tv, so I guess this is fine. I just need to resist the urge to give Tivo more money and get my value out of the premiere.

Regards,

Filo
Old 05-05-2014, 01:44 PM   #6
spaldingclan

Quote:
Originally Posted by filovirus View Post
I was going to sell the premiere to recoop part of the lifetime I paid on it during 2012 and put it towards a basic or plus. Now I have learned the basic roamio does not have component output, so my sling 350 won't work on it without using hdmi. I would prefer to stay component for this reason. Looks like the premiere xl needs to stay. It works fine and it is a lesser watched tv, so I guess this is fine. I just need to resist the urge to give Tivo more money and get my value out of the premiere.

Regards,

Filo
there is a breakout cable you can buy (though its only composite)
spaldingclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 04:19 PM   #7
aaronwt
HD Addict

Composite will work with the Slingbox 350. Although it won't look as good because it's SD. I know for me, the main reason I got the Slingbox 350 was because it could stream in HD. So using the composite input would not be an option. Now I have a Mini dedicated to my Slingbox 350 so I can use it's component outputs.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 04:54 PM   #8
jwbelcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobrownblue View Post
TiVo is getting out of the hardware business. The Roamio line is probably the end of the line.

http://gigaom.com/2014/01/22/tivo-re...neering-staff/
Or they can hire more hardware engineers when they actually need them. Its well known they staff up and down based on project needs; hardware is no different. This story wont die. I've worked at companies that wouldn't had carried them through the holidays after closing out a project. TiVo at least didn't do that.
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:19 PM   #9
kturcotte

Hope they continue to manufacture boxes! Little difficult to rent a box when you have OTA only.
kturcotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:31 PM   #10
filovirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Composite will work with the Slingbox 350. Although it won't look as good because it's SD. I know for me, the main reason I got the Slingbox 350 was because it could stream in HD. So using the composite input would not be an option. Now I have a Mini dedicated to my Slingbox 350 so I can use it's component outputs.

That is an interesting idea. The mini and lifetime are cheap enough. I thought about replacing my premiere with a roamio with its, but the hdmi only will not play well with sling. Composite is a no go for me too. A mini plus roamio gives me what I need and ota if I ever want it. Do you have the mini/ sling headless it should I say HDTV less? Will the hdmi and component breakout cable work simultaneously?
Premiere XL + Lifetime (Sold for Roamio Plus)
Premiere XL + Lifetime (Sold for Roamio Pro)

"Who is John Galt"
Old 05-06-2014, 08:59 AM   #11
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by filovirus View Post
That is an interesting idea. The mini and lifetime are cheap enough. I thought about replacing my premiere with a roamio with its, but the hdmi only will not play well with sling. Composite is a no go for me too. A mini plus roamio gives me what I need and ota if I ever want it. Do you have the mini/ sling headless it should I say HDTV less? Will the hdmi and component breakout cable work simultaneously?
Yes it is headless. The Mini is in a closet with the Slingbox 350 now. I just access it from a PC, tablet, or phone. And if I do have some kind of issue I guess the Mini is small enough for me to quickly remove it and connect it to a TV. But I only hooked this up last week. Prior to that I had my Slingbox 350 in another room and had the HDMI output of a Mini split to two devices and the component out into the Slingbox 350.

So far the setup in my closet has worked well for me. It's in a closet so the Slingbox IR won't affect the Mini I have in that room connected to a TV.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:18 AM   #12
jwbelcher

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Yes it is headless. The Mini is in a closet with the Slingbox 350 now. I just access it from a PC, tablet, or phone. And if I do have some kind of issue I guess the Mini is small enough for me to quickly remove it and connect it to a TV. But I only hooked this up last week. Prior to that I had my Slingbox 350 in another room and had the HDMI output of a Mini split to two devices and the component out into the Slingbox 350.

So far the setup in my closet has worked well for me. It's in a closet so the Slingbox IR won't affect the Mini I have in that room connected to a TV.
I use a headless mini too. It eliminates contention if you have family members that want to watch TV while your streaming from your Slingbox.
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote