TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-05-2014, 09:43 PM   #1
delgadobb

Can a Roamio base be a slave to Roamio Pro?

This is kind of a weird question, but can a Roamio base function more or less as a slave to a Roamio Pro?

Here's my situation: I have a Roamio Pro running with two Tivo Minis elsewhere in the house. The setup works great so far & I'd love the functionality of the Mini in the master bedroom, but don't want to buy another Mini - I already have a base Roamio for which I'll purchase lifetime service & eventually use as a standalone unit.

In the master bedroom, I have a Tivo HD that I would like to replace with my base Roamio. What I'd like to know is once I drop the $400 on lifetime, can I (temporarily) have the base Roamio function somewhat like a Mini by leeching off the Roamio Pro? Until I upgrade the hard drive in the base Roamio, I'd rather avoid the cablecard & 'digital outlet' fee from Cox; I'd be just fine watching programs recorded on the Pro, streaming much like the Mini does. An added bonus would be the ability to tune live TV by leeching one of the tuners from the Roamio Pro, but I'm not counting on that. If it matters, I have all rooms wired with Cat5 ethernet connected to a smart box - 100baseT router & switches, no issues anywhere - using hardwired ethernet & not MoCa.

Eventually, I'll get around to upgrading the hard drive to 3 TB in the base Roamio. At that point I'll get a cablecard & record stuff directly to it, having it function as its own entity. In the meantime, tho, it won't see heavy use; hence the reason for asking if it can function as a slave to the Roamio Pro.

Thanks for any insight,
TIVO HD 318 Hr (Lifetime)
TIVO HD 318 Hr (Lifetime)
Toshiba RS-TX20 300 Hr (Basic Life)
delgadobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:51 PM   #2
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

The base Roamio (or any Premiere) can MRS (Stream) recordings, complete or in-progress from the My Shows list of the Roamio Pro, (or any other Premiere or Roamio)

The base Roamio cannot borrow a LiveTV tuner from the Roamio Pro.

The base Roamio cannot access the Guide or set-up a recording on the Roamio Pro*
* Note: there is a work around to set-up a recording on the Roamio Pro from the base Roamio. By going into the My Shows of the Roamio Pro and playing a recording off the Pro, then enter the Guide and most times it will pull up the Guide from the Pro, and set-up the recording on the Pro by entering "Explore this show", it should alert you where the recording will occur.

EDIT: I just tried this and it does not work from the Guide, by hitting Select to record, you must first hit the Record button and go to "Explore this show" where the Roamio Pro DVR name is displayed where the Discovery Bar would normally be then set-up the recording.

This work around *may* require that the Guided set-up be the same on both DVRs, I'm not sure. You will need to play around with Guided set-up to see.
How did you intend to run Guided set-up the base Roamio? OTA or CableCARD (insert later)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 05-05-2014 at 10:48 PM.
CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:19 PM   #3
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
The base Roamio cannot access the Guide or set-up a recording on the Roamio Pro*
* Note: there is a work around to set-up a recording on the Roamio Pro from the base Roamio. By going into the My Shows of the Roamio Pro and playing a recording off the Pro, then enter the Guide and most times it will pull up the Guide from the Pro, and set-up the recording on the Pro, it should alert you where the recording will occur. but not always.

This work around *may* require that the Guided set-up be the same on both DVRs, I'm not sure. You will need to play around with Guided set-up to see.
This is essentially the same as your workaround... You can go into an existing recording and View Upcoming, or Explore, etc.. and set a recording that way, and it will set a recording on the 'destination' DVR.

I have a Premiere 4 and a Roamio Plus in the same room, and the weird way I have things set up (I use an XS32 as the switcher most of the time), I basically watch everything through the P4 most of the time.. I don't have a Mini, but I presume this is using largely the same interface that one would see when they were using a Mini.

The one weirdness is the strange grammar they use in this situation. I see something like:

The show has started recording on <Roamio Name>.

Even if it's a future recording.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote