Old 04-29-2014, 12:24 PM   #32
2004raptor

Thanks
2004raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:07 PM   #33
2004raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToastyZ71 View Post
Yes, stop in to your local Comcast office and pick up an M card (Multi-stream) CableCard.

They'll give you a self-install guide with instructions, but toss them.

Hook up your new roamio, but don't put the cable card in until you've begun guided setup and it asks for the card. Once the card is recognized, the Tivo will take you to the cablecard activation screen.

DO NOT CALL THE CABLECARD ACTIVATION NUMBER.... NOTHING BUT GRIEF.

Call up the National Repair Line - 888-824-8988. When I called, I spoke to Michael, x17716, if you want a specific person.He's a cablecard expert. He got my account all fixed and got everything working when multiple calls to the cablecard hotline failed. He told me specifically to never call the cablecard number, only to call him in the future. He'll take down the numbers from the activation screen and get your account all set on it, including the VOD.

Good luck!
TiVo arrived. So, I did as you said but when I finished everything seems to be working. I never had to call anyone. Is that OK?
Old 04-29-2014, 05:19 PM   #34
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004raptor View Post
TiVo arrived. So, I did as you said but when I finished everything seems to be working. I never had to call anyone. Is that OK?
On Comcast, you won't have to call and pair the card unless you receive premium channels like HBO or Showtime. If you don't get any premium channels, then don't bother going through the pairing process with them over the phone, as it tends to be a pain in the ass.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:35 PM   #35
2004raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
On Comcast, you won't have to call and pair the card unless you receive premium channels like HBO or Showtime. If you don't get any premium channels, then don't bother going through the pairing process with them over the phone, as it tends to be a pain in the ass.
OK. I was afraid it was a fluke that everything worked so smooth and that it would crap out at some point.
Thanks.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:34 PM   #36
lpwcomp

Quote:
Or you want On Demand.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:38 PM   #37
2004raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Or you want On Demand.
Ok. I called and left a message at the number above. Kids like on demand.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:19 PM   #38
mattack

Though I sure thought some other channels besides premium channels needed the card to be paired too.. Oh yeah, if you're in a package that has e.g. Nat Geo Wild. I don't get that one (anymore, I did at my old house). I think you'd just get the cablecard activation screen on an un-paired card, but with a paired card, it gives you the "you do not receive this channel" message.

Also, sure, I only have a few data points, but in the past, the Cable Card hotline (1 877 405 2298) was FAR more helpful than the regular 1800 COMCAST number.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:17 AM   #39
2004raptor

I'll try them later today. I never did get a call back from the # toasty listed.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:14 PM   #40
2004raptor

Ok, on a whim I tried the 2298 # while I was at work. I was hoping they would know the info of the cable card but the lady didn't. She said I'll need to remove the cable card, reinsert it, write the #'s down that appear on the screen, and then call them.

I'll try to do this as soon as I get home. Is there any chance any of that is in the TiVo? I'm guessing not. It's just going to be a pain to get the TiVo out of where it's at and access the card slot.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:45 PM   #41
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Ok, on a whim I tried the 2298 # while I was at work. I was hoping they would know the info of the cable card but the lady didn't. She said I'll need to remove the cable card, reinsert it, write the #'s down that appear on the screen, and then call them.

I'll try to do this as soon as I get home. Is there any chance any of that is in the TiVo? I'm guessing not. It's just going to be a pain to get the TiVo out of where it's at and access the card slot.
When I paired my card with TWC, the information they needed from me to properly pair the card was all accessed in the settings of the TiVo and displayed on the TV screen the TiVo is connected to. At the very end of the pairing process, the TWC guy did tell me to pull the card out and push it back in, but I don't know that that "reseating" of the card at the end was actually a necessary step.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:31 PM   #42
lpwcomp

Quote:

Quote:
When I paired my card with TWC, the information they needed from me to properly pair the card was all accessed in the settings of the TiVo and displayed on the TV screen the TiVo is connected to. At the very end of the pairing process, the TWC guy did tell me to pull the card out and push it back in, but I don't know that that "reseating" of the card at the end was actually a necessary step.
+1.

There is definitely no reason to remove and reinsert the CableCARD, although it probably is the most easily explained method.

Old 04-30-2014, 05:03 PM   #43
2004raptor

Ok, so that part is done. After being disconnected three times by the comcast rep I finally got one that did it. He said it can take up to 24 hours to see thud channels. I explained to him that I had no issues with live tv, just on demand. So, we'll see.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:13 PM   #44
2004raptor

Just checked the on demand channel and still get a v53 error. The on demand channel is channel 1, right?
Just want to make sure because the Comcast menu had an on demand button you could click on.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:16 PM   #45
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Just checked the on demand channel and still get a v53 error. The on demand channel is channel 1, right?
Just want to make sure because the Comcast menu had an on demand button you could click on.
I don't have Comcast (so someone who does please correct me if I am wrong about this) but I was under the impression that the Xfinity on-demand on TiVo happens through a special TiVo app, not by tuning to a certain channel.

This might be helpful to you:

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2261

Last edited by tarheelblue32 : 04-30-2014 at 10:26 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:47 PM   #46
lpwcomp

Quote:
Quote:
I don't have Comcast (so someone who does please correct me if I am wrong about this) but I was under the impression that the Xfinity on-demand on TiVo happens through a special TiVo app, not by tuning to a certain channel.

This might be helpful to you:

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2261
You are correct. There are a few ways to get to VOD on a Premiere or Roamio, but tuning to channel 1 is not one of them.

Old 05-01-2014, 05:43 AM   #47
DeltaOne
Mount Airy, MD

Quote:
As the others posted, don't use channel 1. Channel 1 for VOD only works on a Comcast set top box.

Use the menu item.
DeltaOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:33 AM   #48
2004raptor

Thanks. I'll try it later today.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:01 PM   #49
ToastyZ71

There is indeed an Xfinity app that you will use to watch ondemand (it will be listed with Hulu, Netflix, YouTube, etc)

In order to get it, a few things have to happen:
Cablecard must be paired.
The correct billing code must be entered on the cable card to activate the ondemand service.

Firstly, check here: http://www.tivo.com/discover/cable - about half way down the page, you can put your zip code in and check to see if the app is available to you yet. (if not, you will have to wait for it to be available)

Next, check the pairing status of your tivo:
Settings&Messages>Settings>Remote,CableCARD, & Devices>CableCARD Decoder>CableCARD options (for installers)>CableCARD Menu>Conditional Access--
4th line down should read like this:
Con:Yes EBCP:Yes Val:V 0x6B

The important field that will indicate a paired card is the Val: field - if you see a ? and not V, the card is not paired, and you won't get OnDemand until it is paired. -you might also call back the number I posted earlier, and just go to the first available person, or try Michael's extension again, noting he works 2nd shift hours.

The other part, and this is can also be tricky is getting the correct billing code added for the OnDemand service. It's somewhat new, and the reps may not know exactly what you are asking for- here's the info that I found on this site. The billing code is called "Tivo Premiere" even though you have a Roamio, it doesn't matter. The code is in the "Bolt-Ons" section of the comcast system. Using this info I got a few techs to either add it or verify that it was added, but my card wasn't paired until I spoke with Michael at the national repair number.
ToastyZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 02:12 AM   #50
lpwcomp

Quote:
Firstly, check here: http://www.tivo.com/discover/cable - about half way down the page, you can put your zip code in and check to see if the app is available to you yet. (if not, you will have to wait for it to be available)
This is no longer accurate. Checking my zip zip still gets "Unfortunately XFINITY On Demand on TiVo DVRs is not available in the area you entered." but it is most definitely there. I have used it.

Quote:
The other part, and this is can also be tricky is getting the correct billing code added for the OnDemand service. It's somewhat new, and the reps may not know exactly what you are asking for- here's the info that I found on this site. The billing code is called "Tivo Premiere" even though you have a Roamio, it doesn't matter. The code is in the "Bolt-Ons" section of the comcast system. Using this info I got a few techs to either add it or verify that it was added, but my card wasn't paired until I spoke with Michael at the national repair number.
Once again, not sure this is true, at least for all areas. I did have to get my Roamio paired, but my Premiere (which has been paired for 2+ years) worked w/o my getting anything changed.

As with anything involving Comcast and/or TiVo, there is a wide variance in individual user experience.

Old 05-03-2014, 03:29 PM   #51
2004raptor

I found the On Demand under the menu options.

I will have to say that the Roamio guide as well as the On Demand guide really don't look as nice as the comcast guides. I'll get use to it but not really diggin it so far.

Still like the unit. even considering getting a mini for the bedroom.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:43 PM   #52
tarheelblue32

Quote:
I will have to say that the Roamio guide as well as the On Demand guide really don't look as nice as the comcast guides. I'll get use to it but not really diggin it so far.
For the TiVo guide, there are actually 2 different styles you can choose from, the "grid guide" and the "live guide". With the TV guide open, hit the "A" button for options and you can change to whichever guide style you prefer. I think the "live guide" is the default, but the "grid guide" probably looks more like the Comcast guide that you are used to.

Last edited by tarheelblue32 : 05-03-2014 at 03:49 PM.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:13 PM   #53
2004raptor

Quote:
For the TiVo guide, there are actually 2 different styles you can choose from, the "grid guide" and the "live guide". With the TV guide open, hit the "A" button for options and you can change to whichever guide style you prefer. I think the "live guide" is the default, but the "grid guide" probably looks more like the Comcast guide that you are used to.
Thanks. I will definitely look at it. I really haven't had much time to go through the settings, etc.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:14 AM   #54
ToastyZ71

Quote:
I found the On Demand under the menu options.

Still like the unit. even considering getting a mini for the bedroom.
So you've got the OnDemand app, that's good. Have you tested to make sure you can watch a show?
ToastyZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:01 AM   #55
truman861

All I can say is awesome that you have on demand, be thrilled as some of us don't have it like time Warner, brighthouse or verizon fios. I do have 3 minis though hooked up to my roamio and the whole system works great.
truman861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:08 AM   #56
2004raptor

Quote:
So you've got the OnDemand app, that's good. Have you tested to make sure you can watch a show?
I'm not sure. Is it an app? It was just listed under one of the menus. It does work though.