TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2014, 09:40 AM   #1
sbiller
Registered User
 
sbiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,875
ZNF: TiVo Preps Customizable 3-Column View



With TiVo’s minor spring update behind us, the company has turned its attention to perhaps the most dramatic interface update since the launch of their original HDUI in 2010. It appears the primary objectives are improved UI consistency and completeness, along with additional discovery and organizational options.

Read more: http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2014-05/...3-column-view/
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:00 AM   #2
jwbelcher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
With TiVo’s minor spring update behind us, the company has turned its attention to perhaps the most dramatic interface update since the launch of their original HDUI in 2010. It appears the primary objectives are improved UI consistency and completeness, along with additional discovery and organizational options.

Read more: http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2014-05/...3-column-view/
I wonder if "UI consistency and completeness" means the end of SD menus. On a side note, it sure looks like someone violated their non-disclosure agreement....
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:04 AM   #3
sbiller
Registered User
 
sbiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbelcher View Post
I wonder if "UI consistency and completeness" means the end of SD menus.
Agreed. If I were a betting man I would say 50/50 odds on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbelcher View Post
On a side note, it sure looks like someone violated their non-disclosure agreement....
Sure does! Although it appears that Dave's source held back the best screen of the bunch (i.e., the three column view!).
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:16 AM   #4
jwbelcher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
Agreed. If I were a betting man I would say 50/50 odds on that.

Sure does! Although it appears that Dave's source held back the best screen of the bunch (i.e., the three column view!).
LOL, I'm sure your right. I can't wait to see the full view. Until filling up my Pro's 3tb disk with recordings, I just didn't expect needing a better way to organize My Shows. Now I get lost paging through trying to find my stuff. This will be a welcome improvement, but I'd really like to put my wife's and kid's stuff in a different profile(s) so its completely out of view.
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:22 AM   #5
moyekj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Posts: 9,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
Sure does! Although it appears that Dave's source held back the best screen of the bunch (i.e., the three column view!).
Probably because the NDA violator that leaked this didn't want to reveal names of recorded shows that might give identity away to TiVo.
__________________
Roamio Pro, Elite, Premiere
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:34 AM   #6
jwbelcher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Probably because the NDA violator that leaked this didn't want to reveal names of recorded shows that might give identity away to TiVo.
Bingo. Plus with the blur out of the recordings in My Shows 3-column view. Although, he might have messed up by showing his TV (and window reflection) if he's been sending in pics (of bugs) during the Beta.



Very similar look and feel to "Browse TV & Movies". I almost didn't notice the "My Shows" title.

Last edited by jwbelcher : 05-03-2014 at 10:43 AM.
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:55 AM   #7
sbiller
Registered User
 
sbiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbelcher View Post
Bingo. Plus with the blur out of the recordings in My Shows 3-column view. Although, he might have messed up by showing his TV (and window reflection) if he's been sending in pics (of bugs) during the Beta.



Very similar look and feel to "Browse TV & Movies". I almost didn't notice the "My Shows" title.
Wow... totally missed the blurred out image as well.

If TiVo did some A/B type testing with their beta testers they might be able to isolate the actual NDA violator. I also wonder if there is some technique where they could include a hidden watermark that would help isolate the screen shots. That would be a useful technology.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 12:16 PM   #8
HenryFarpolo
Registered User
 
HenryFarpolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Andover Ma
Posts: 212
I would rather not know what is coming than have some Bozo compromise the BETA testing process. That is IF the leak came from a BETA tester.
HenryFarpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 12:55 PM   #9
innocentfreak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Florida
Posts: 8,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryFarpolo View Post
I would rather not know what is coming than have some Bozo compromise the BETA testing process. That is IF the leak came from a BETA tester.
As Dave pointed out we already knew this was coming we just didn't know when. TiVo mentioned it at CES I believe or around the launch of the Roamio. I know it was mentioned in a Engadget HD article.

Hopefully devices allows local content though that may just be the TiVo Desktop/PyTiVo Shares.
__________________
1 - TiVo Roamio Pro
2 - TiVo Premiere XL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 02:48 PM   #10
moyekj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Posts: 9,299
Hopefully the (useless to me) What To Watch Now entry can be eliminated from My Shows now...
__________________
Roamio Pro, Elite, Premiere
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 04:25 PM   #11
BigJimOutlaw
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,697
Looks ok, but those categories don't help my house much at all.

This doesn't bode well for Profiles anytime soon. I'd still greatly prefer Profiles now that the house is filled up with Minis.



We see you Mr. Secret Boogeyman.



Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 05-03-2014 at 04:52 PM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 04:50 PM   #12
sbiller
Registered User
 
sbiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
Looks ok, but those categories don't help my house much at all.

This doesn't bode well for Profiles anytime soon. I'd still greatly prefer Profiles now that the house is filled up with Minis.



We see you Mr. Secret Boogeyman.

Hilarious. Unfortunately for TiVo, they have no idea what anyone looks like! I suppose they could send Zatz some sort of legal notice and compel him to provide his source although who knows if there is any legal precedent for that.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:02 PM   #13
BigJimOutlaw
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
Hilarious. Unfortunately for TiVo, they have no idea what anyone looks like! I suppose they could send Zatz some sort of legal notice and compel him to provide his source although who knows if there is any legal precedent for that.
Probably not worth it. Does the Tivo log remote control codes? A Panasonic owner, American Idol watcher, and probable Netflix subscriber.

Yeah, that doesn't really narrow it down much. I can't ID the other Discovery Bar items, though the second one is familiar.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:13 PM   #14
innocentfreak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Florida
Posts: 8,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
Probably not worth it. Does the Tivo log remote control codes? A Panasonic owner, American Idol watcher, and probable Netflix subscriber.

Yeah, that doesn't really narrow it down much. I can't ID the other Discovery Bar items, though the second one is familiar.
Not necessarily an Idol watcher it could just be a recommendation since it is on now and popular.
__________________
1 - TiVo Roamio Pro
2 - TiVo Premiere XL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:27 PM   #15
BigJimOutlaw
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Not necessarily an Idol watcher it could just be a recommendation since it is on now and popular.
True. It's nighttime in the Idol pic so it's possibly "on now". Oh well. The silhouette is funny.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:27 PM   #16
bradleys
It'll be fine....
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,209
It kind of ticks me off to tell the truth...
__________________
TiVo S2 (Retired)
TiVo Series 3 (Sold)
TiVo HD (Sold)
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo

Last edited by bradleys : 05-03-2014 at 06:34 PM.
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:59 PM   #17
HenryFarpolo
Registered User
 
HenryFarpolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Andover Ma
Posts: 212
[quote=BigJimOutlaw;10095461]Looks ok, but those categories don't help my house much at all.

This doesn't bode well for Profiles anytime soon. I'd still greatly prefer Profiles now that the house is filled up with Minis.



+1 on the profiles. Also, increased capacity makes managing much more difficult.
HenryFarpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:17 PM   #18
jwbelcher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
Probably not worth it. Does the Tivo log remote control codes? A Panasonic owner, American Idol watcher, and probable Netflix subscriber.

Yeah, that doesn't really narrow it down much. I can't ID the other Discovery Bar items, though the second one is familiar.
With help from Google Image search:

2nd is Walking Dead:



3rd is Grey's Anatomy




Haven't found the other.
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:06 PM   #19
jwbelcher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 466
Tivo pic from 9/12/2013 from http://hothardware.com/News/TiVo-Shi...nto-The-Cloud/

As someone mentioned Engadget the Priemere UI from Mar 2010


Looks like 3-column has been in the can for quite awhile. This is the same article that had a Profiles picture.

Should we hold our breath?

Last edited by jwbelcher : 05-03-2014 at 08:21 PM.
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:18 PM   #20
Johncv
Registered User
 
Johncv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Chula Vista, CA
Posts: 1,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbelcher View Post
Tivo pic from 9/12/2013 from http://hothardware.com/News/TiVo-Shi...nto-The-Cloud/

As someone mentioned Engadget the Priemere UI from Mar 2010


Looks like 3-column has been in the can for quite awhile. This is the same article that had a Profiles picture.

Should we hold our breath?
This make me want to drop DirectTV and return to Cox even if I have to pay more, just hate the crappy Giene box. Wish DirectTV and TiVo would sit down and talk and replace the crappy Giene with the TiVo Roamio.
__________________
Johncv

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:39 PM   #21
BigJimOutlaw
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbelcher View Post
Tivo pic from 9/12/2013 from http://hothardware.com/News/TiVo-Shi...nto-The-Cloud/

As someone mentioned Engadget the Priemere UI from Mar 2010

Looks like 3-column has been in the can for quite awhile. This is the same article that had a Profiles picture.

Should we hold our breath?
I wouldn't. But it would be nice. Tivo never committed to seeing all of those Premiere launch "demonstration" shots through. But maybe someday.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 05-03-2014 at 09:45 PM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:59 PM   #22
HarperVision
Registered User
 
HarperVision's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
.....We see you Mr. Secret Boogeyman.
Oh crap, you caught me!
__________________
Dave Harper
Director, Event Technology
ISF, CTS
HarperVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 01:03 PM   #23
bobfrank
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 151
[quote=HenryFarpolo;10095562]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
Looks ok, but those categories don't help my house much at all.

This doesn't bode well for Profiles anytime soon. I'd still greatly prefer Profiles now that the house is filled up with Minis.



+1 on the profiles. Also, increased capacity makes managing much more difficult.
YES! Please, please, please give us Profiles.
bobfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 01:59 PM   #24
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....
 
eboydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 904
Just call me dumb, but I'm not understanding the big deal of this "Customizable 3-Column View" is? I have never messed with the channel view or display very much. Do we already 3 column view now?

Is it just my impression that TiVo is putting a lot of effort in features that not necessarily affect a lot of users rather than fixing the big things? Perhaps I need to sit down with my Roamios and understand this more but I'm not sure if I understand how the the 3 column thing is to that helpful as compared to having user profiles.
__________________
TiVo Roamio Pro
TiVo Roamio Plus (3tb)
TiVo Mini (three)
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 04:26 PM   #25
bradleys
It'll be fine....
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,209
User profiles would be significantly more "user admin heavy" as compared to this division of content.

TiVo has always shyed away from heavy user configuration.
__________________
TiVo S2 (Retired)
TiVo Series 3 (Sold)
TiVo HD (Sold)
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 04:33 PM   #26
jwbelcher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
User profiles would be significantly more "user admin heavy" as compared to this division of content.

TiVo has always shyed away from heavy user configuration.
Agreed, but the nice thing is that a user doesn't need to use multiple profiles. Its there for advanced users, but for a single profile, really doesn't even need to be visible..
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 04:46 PM   #27
bradleys
It'll be fine....
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,209
I would rather see them spend time and energy upgrading TiVo desktop and adding MRS functionality from local file shares.

When I access my movie server it drops back down to SD screens and forces me to transfer the movie to the TiVo.

That would provide a real improved experience for me.
__________________
TiVo S2 (Retired)
TiVo Series 3 (Sold)
TiVo HD (Sold)
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 05:33 PM   #28
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....
 
eboydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
I would rather see them spend time and energy upgrading TiVo desktop and adding MRS functionality from local file shares.

When I access my movie server it drops back down to SD screens and forces me to transfer the movie to the TiVo.

That would provide a real improved experience for me.
The way content recording copy restrictions are becoming, I suspect such is second from the bottom of the priority list. Since they stopped development of Tivo desktop, in a few more years MRV will be a distant memory a lot like series 1 and 2 tivos are today in that today they are still out there but very few in use.

There will never be a PC based streaming client while they sell the Mini.

I have yet to understand what this 3 column thing is all about.......
__________________
TiVo Roamio Pro
TiVo Roamio Plus (3tb)
TiVo Mini (three)
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:14 PM   #29
CoxInPHX
COX Communications
 
CoxInPHX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post
I have yet to understand what this 3 column thing is all about.......
I don't get it either, and don't want it, It looks like there is an option to hide the left column, so at least that is good.


__________________
Roamio Pro, XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, & Mini, 20.4.5c, w/ Cisco SDV TA, FW F.2001, Cisco CC FW PKEY1.5.3_F.p.1301

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:45 PM   #30
mrizzo80
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 343
I hope the "Video Providers" section is more than just shortcuts to open the OTT apps. Would love to see TiVo pull down my last 5 or so Netflix titles and provide a "resume playing" link for each of them. If I'm 50% thru a movie, pickup where I left off. If I finished episode 12 of a TV show the last time I was in Netflix, start playing episode 13.
mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVo® is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:43 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |