TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-03-2014, 09:40 AM   #1
sbiller

ZNF: TiVo Preps Customizable 3-Column View

With TiVo’s minor spring update behind us, the company has turned its attention to perhaps the most dramatic interface update since the launch of their original HDUI in 2010. It appears the primary objectives are improved UI consistency and completeness, along with additional discovery and organizational options.

Read more: http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2014-05/...3-column-view/
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:00 AM   #2
jwbelcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
With TiVo’s minor spring update behind us, the company has turned its attention to perhaps the most dramatic interface update since the launch of their original HDUI in 2010. It appears the primary objectives are improved UI consistency and completeness, along with additional discovery and organizational options.

Read more: http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2014-05/...3-column-view/
I wonder if "UI consistency and completeness" means the end of SD menus. On a side note, it sure looks like someone violated their non-disclosure agreement....
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:04 AM   #3
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbelcher View Post
I wonder if "UI consistency and completeness" means the end of SD menus.
Agreed. If I were a betting man I would say 50/50 odds on that.

Quote:
On a side note, it sure looks like someone violated their non-disclosure agreement....
Sure does! Although it appears that Dave's source held back the best screen of the bunch (i.e., the three column view!).
Old 05-03-2014, 10:16 AM   #4
jwbelcher

Quote:
Agreed. If I were a betting man I would say 50/50 odds on that.

Sure does! Although it appears that Dave's source held back the best screen of the bunch (i.e., the three column view!).
LOL, I'm sure your right. I can't wait to see the full view. Until filling up my Pro's 3tb disk with recordings, I just didn't expect needing a better way to organize My Shows. Now I get lost paging through trying to find my stuff. This will be a welcome improvement, but I'd really like to put my wife's and kid's stuff in a different profile(s) so its completely out of view.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:22 AM   #5
moyekj

Quote:
Probably because the NDA violator that leaked this didn't want to reveal names of recorded shows that might give identity away to TiVo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:34 AM   #6
jwbelcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Probably because the NDA violator that leaked this didn't want to reveal names of recorded shows that might give identity away to TiVo.
Bingo. Plus with the blur out of the recordings in My Shows 3-column view. Although, he might have messed up by showing his TV (and window reflection) if he's been sending in pics (of bugs) during the Beta.

Very similar look and feel to "Browse TV & Movies". I almost didn't notice the "My Shows" title.

Last edited by jwbelcher : 05-03-2014 at 10:43 AM.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:55 AM   #7
sbiller

Quote:
Bingo. Plus with the blur out of the recordings in My Shows 3-column view. Although, he might have messed up by showing his TV (and window reflection) if he's been sending in pics (of bugs) during the Beta.

Very similar look and feel to "Browse TV & Movies". I almost didn't notice the "My Shows" title.
Wow... totally missed the blurred out image as well.

If TiVo did some A/B type testing with their beta testers they might be able to isolate the actual NDA violator. I also wonder if there is some technique where they could include a hidden watermark that would help isolate the screen shots. That would be a useful technology.
Old 05-03-2014, 12:16 PM   #8
HenryFarpolo

I would rather not know what is coming than have some Bozo compromise the BETA testing process. That is IF the leak came from a BETA tester.
HenryFarpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 12:55 PM   #9
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryFarpolo View Post
I would rather not know what is coming than have some Bozo compromise the BETA testing process. That is IF the leak came from a BETA tester.
As Dave pointed out we already knew this was coming we just didn't know when. TiVo mentioned it at CES I believe or around the launch of the Roamio. I know it was mentioned in a Engadget HD article.

Hopefully devices allows local content though that may just be the TiVo Desktop/PyTiVo Shares.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 02:48 PM   #10
moyekj

Hopefully the (useless to me) What To Watch Now entry can be eliminated from My Shows now...

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 04:25 PM   #11
BigJimOutlaw

Looks ok, but those categories don't help my house much at all.

This doesn't bode well for Profiles anytime soon. I'd still greatly prefer Profiles now that the house is filled up with Minis.

We see you Mr. Secret Boogeyman.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 05-03-2014 at 04:52 PM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 04:50 PM   #12
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post

This doesn't bode well for Profiles anytime soon. I'd still greatly prefer Profiles now that the house is filled up with Minis.

We see you Mr. Secret Boogeyman.

Hilarious. Unfortunately for TiVo, they have no idea what anyone looks like! I suppose they could send Zatz some sort of legal notice and compel him to provide his source although who knows if there is any legal precedent for that.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:02 PM   #13
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Hilarious. Unfortunately for TiVo, they have no idea what anyone looks like! I suppose they could send Zatz some sort of legal notice and compel him to provide his source although who knows if there is any legal precedent for that.
Probably not worth it. Does the Tivo log remote control codes? A Panasonic owner, American Idol watcher, and probable Netflix subscriber.

Yeah, that doesn't really narrow it down much. I can't ID the other Discovery Bar items, though the second one is familiar.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:13 PM   #14
innocentfreak

Quote:
Probably not worth it. Does the Tivo log remote control codes? A Panasonic owner, American Idol watcher, and probable Netflix subscriber.

Yeah, that doesn't really narrow it down much. I can't ID the other Discovery Bar items, though the second one is familiar.
Not necessarily an Idol watcher it could just be a recommendation since it is on now and popular.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:27 PM   #15
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Not necessarily an Idol watcher it could just be a recommendation since it is on now and popular.
True. It's nighttime in the Idol pic so it's possibly "on now". Oh well. The silhouette is funny.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:27 PM   #16
bradleys
It'll be fine....

It kind of ticks me off to tell the truth...
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo

Last edited by bradleys : 05-03-2014 at 06:34 PM.
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:59 PM   #17
HenryFarpolo

[quote=BigJimOutlaw;10095461]Looks ok, but those categories don't help my house much at all.

+1 on the profiles. Also, increased capacity makes managing much more difficult.
HenryFarpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:17 PM   #18
jwbelcher

Quote:

With help from Google Image search:

2nd is Walking Dead:

3rd is Grey's Anatomy

Haven't found the other.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:06 PM   #19
jwbelcher

Tivo pic from 9/12/2013 from http://hothardware.com/News/TiVo-Shi...nto-The-Cloud/

As someone mentioned Engadget the Priemere UI from Mar 2010

Looks like 3-column has been in the can for quite awhile. This is the same article that had a Profiles picture.

Should we hold our breath?

Last edited by jwbelcher : 05-03-2014 at 08:21 PM.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:18 PM   #20
Johncv

Quote:
Tivo pic from 9/12/2013 from http://hothardware.com/News/TiVo-Shi...nto-The-Cloud/

Looks like 3-column has been in the can for quite awhile. This is the same article that had a Profiles picture.

This make me want to drop DirectTV and return to Cox even if I have to pay more, just hate the crappy Giene box. Wish DirectTV and TiVo would sit down and talk and replace the crappy Giene with the TiVo Roamio.

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:39 PM   #21
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:

I wouldn't. But it would be nice. Tivo never committed to seeing all of those Premiere launch "demonstration" shots through. But maybe someday.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 05-03-2014 at 09:45 PM.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:59 PM   #22
HarperVision

Quote:
.....We see you Mr. Secret Boogeyman.
Oh crap, you caught me!
HarperVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 01:03 PM   #23
bobfrank

[quote=HenryFarpolo;10095562]
Quote:

+1 on the profiles. Also, increased capacity makes managing much more difficult.
YES! Please, please, please give us Profiles.
bobfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 01:59 PM   #24
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Just call me dumb, but I'm not understanding the big deal of this "Customizable 3-Column View" is? I have never messed with the channel view or display very much. Do we already 3 column view now?

Is it just my impression that TiVo is putting a lot of effort in features that not necessarily affect a lot of users rather than fixing the big things? Perhaps I need to sit down with my Roamios and understand this more but I'm not sure if I understand how the the 3 column thing is to that helpful as compared to having user profiles.
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 04:26 PM   #25
bradleys
It'll be fine....

User profiles would be significantly more "user admin heavy" as compared to this division of content.

TiVo has always shyed away from heavy user configuration.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 05-04-2014, 04:33 PM   #26
jwbelcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
User profiles would be significantly more "user admin heavy" as compared to this division of content.

TiVo has always shyed away from heavy user configuration.
Agreed, but the nice thing is that a user doesn't need to use multiple profiles. Its there for advanced users, but for a single profile, really doesn't even need to be visible..
Old 05-04-2014, 04:46 PM   #27
bradleys
It'll be fine....

I would rather see them spend time and energy upgrading TiVo desktop and adding MRS functionality from local file shares.

When I access my movie server it drops back down to SD screens and forces me to transfer the movie to the TiVo.

That would provide a real improved experience for me.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 05-04-2014, 05:33 PM   #28
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
I would rather see them spend time and energy upgrading TiVo desktop and adding MRS functionality from local file shares.

When I access my movie server it drops back down to SD screens and forces me to transfer the movie to the TiVo.

That would provide a real improved experience for me.
The way content recording copy restrictions are becoming, I suspect such is second from the bottom of the priority list. Since they stopped development of Tivo desktop, in a few more years MRV will be a distant memory a lot like series 1 and 2 tivos are today in that today they are still out there but very few in use.

There will never be a PC based streaming client while they sell the Mini.

I have yet to understand what this 3 column thing is all about.......
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:14 PM   #29
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post
I have yet to understand what this 3 column thing is all about.......
I don't get it either, and don't want it, It looks like there is an option to hide the left column, so at least that is good.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:45 PM   #30
mrizzo80

I hope the "Video Providers" section is more than just shortcuts to open the OTT apps. Would love to see TiVo pull down my last 5 or so Netflix titles and provide a "resume playing" link for each of them. If I'm 50% thru a movie, pickup where I left off. If I finished episode 12 of a TV show the last time I was in Netflix, start playing episode 13.
mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote