TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-30-2014, 07:35 AM   #1
buscuitboy

Question Does WinMFS work with Windows7?

I have a TiVo HD (TCD652160) that needed a new drive. I had a spare SATA drive and a TiVo image to put on it with WinMFS. I hooked up the replacement drive to a desktop running Windows 7. I verified it was recognized in the device manager, but after running WinMFS, it didn't seem to see the new drive. Even after I checked "show mounted drive".

I put the drive in a desktop I have that still has Windows XP. This time, WinMFS did see the drive. I then restored the image on the drive as needed. Put it in the TiVo HD and it works great.

Seeing as XP has been officially retired and I am not sure how much longer I will have a desktop running XP, is there any way of getting WinMFS to run on a Windows 7 machine for restoring a Series 3 image? Do I maybe have to do an additional step with W7? Or does restoring a S3 image have to be done a totally different way with Windows 7?
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:49 AM   #2
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Did you right click on winmfs.exe and select "Run as administrator" on Windows 7? If you don't it won't recognize the drive.
"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy
sbourgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:03 AM   #3
dlfl
Cranky old novice

You also may need to disable your anti-virus (after disconnecting your PC from the internet).

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:32 AM   #4
buscuitboy

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbourgeo View Post
Did you right click on winmfs.exe and select "Run as administrator" on Windows 7? If you don't it won't recognize the drive.
No, I did not try this, but the computer doesn't have any additional users. Boots right up to the desktop and I always figured it was administrator type settings, but maybe not.

It also makes sense as it wouldn't recognize an older 80GB IDE drive I have in the desktop as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
You also may need to disable your anti-virus (after disconnecting your PC from the internet).

I will try this as well (w/ Avast). I was hoping WinMFS could be used with W7 somehow. Sounds like it can and glad to know.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:51 AM   #5
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Just chiming in to assure you WinMFS does work with Windows 7.
As the above poster stated, you just have to right click on the WinMFS.exe file and "Run as Administrator".

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:30 AM   #6
buscuitboy

I actually did try the suggestion of right clicking it and it appeared to work as it saw the drive. Was about to post the results here. However, it would never fully installed the TiVo image to the drive. Not sure why. It just hung up on it.

Since the desktop is dual booting (XP & W7), I rebooted back into XP and tried it all. It worked flawlessly. Put the drive in the TiVo and it started right up. Not sure why it wouldn't write the image while in W7 though.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:47 PM   #7
teasip

I ran it today with a virtual Win7 Pro by right clicking and selecting "Run as Admin". Backed up my 1TB HD in my TiVoHD after running the WD disk check and it telling me that I had too many bad sectors. This gave me a chance to go back and update my original 160GB drive to 11.0m and also backup my 1TB with 11.0m.