TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-02-2014, 05:31 PM   #1
Alan P

Cancelling Directv - Watching Shows on THR22

I'm thinking about cancelling D* (after 20+ years!) and going with a local cable company that is offering me pretty much the same channel lineup and a Premeire Q/4 for slightly less than I'm currentlly paying D* (significantly less for the first 12 months).

My question is, how long before D* will want their THR22 back, and can I watch the shows I have stockpiled without D* service??

If I can't, or they want it shipped back the day I cancel, I'll probably keep both services for one month so the new Tivo can get full up with my wife's favorite shows while she clears out the THR22.
Alan P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 05:46 PM   #2
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
No, you can't watch shows without service on the THR22. They will probably want it back immediately.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:49 PM   #3
Alan P

OK, thanks Steve.

Do you see any issues (like, will my cable company wanting to use the existing D* cable runs) with running both services for a month? I haven't had cable in over 20 years, so what do I know!

The point may be moot though if I can get my wife to just catch up on her important shows before we switch.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:51 PM   #4
Alan P

Also, if anyone has experience with both the THR22 and Premiere Q, are they even in the same league?

I'm guessing the Premiere is miles ahead from what I've read online.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:08 PM   #5
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

What cable company is offering you Premiere Q? I ask because don't take it for granted that you are get all the retail options of the retail Tivo premiere just because the cable company is offering it. My CC (Mediacom) offers it and they take all the Tivo To Go options including disabling the ethernet ports and not allowing retail Tivo products to work with them.

The Mediacom Tivo is not much that different than the Directv Tivo other than running the newer Tivo OS.

You might be better off buying a Roamio basic 4 tuner and renting a cable card if you want a real Tivo.
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 12:52 PM   #6
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Cable companies are REQUIRED to disable certain services if they offer them to the public. When I worked for a relatively small cable company, we offered the Premiere and for example, after a few months, we were told, by Starz I think it was, among others, that we had to remove Netflix or they would not provide the service any more.

The Premiere, even slightly disabled, was far superior to the Motorola box we offered and at the same rental, too!
Old 05-20-2014, 11:57 AM   #7
Alan P

I am getting the Tivo from Midcontinent.

http://www.midcocomm.com/video/tivo/

And, according to this, it does everything the Premiere does except for Netflix (which is fine, I have other ways of streaming Netflix). Although, it doesn't say anything about Tivo To Go.

http://www3-stg.tivo.com/products/ti...-midcontinent/

The charge for the Tivo lease and the Tivo service is only an extra $18 a month through Midco....do you still think I would be better served with a Raomio?

Apparently, my area is one of the first in the country to get this through Midco....I'm surprised at this because I basically live in the sticks.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:13 PM   #8
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
I am getting the Tivo from Midcontinent.

http://www.midcocomm.com/video/tivo/

And, according to this, it does everything the Premiere does except for Netflix (which is fine, I have other ways of streaming Netflix). Although, it doesn't say anything about Tivo To Go.

http://www3-stg.tivo.com/products/ti...-midcontinent/

The charge for the Tivo lease and the Tivo service is only an extra $18 a month through Midco....do you still think I would be better served with a Raomio?

Apparently, my area is one of the first in the country to get this through Midco....I'm surprised at this because I basically live in the sticks.
How much is CableCARD rental & will this be your only cable box?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:13 PM   #9
Alan P

I have no idea on the cable card rental, and I plan on getting the Tivo plus the Stream for my bedroom.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:19 PM   #10
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
I have no idea on the cable card rental, and I plan on getting the Tivo plus the Stream for my bedroom.
If you have the TiVo in one place, say the living room, and you want also want to watch on TV in the bedroom, then you need a Mini, not a Stream.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:42 PM   #11
Alan P

Yeah, that's what I meant...."Mini".