TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-01-2014, 01:49 AM   #31
TEG

I was able to get the Roamio to TiVo Central during setup by setting it up as a Demo model, then once it restarted on its own, it went right into TiVo central, said it needed to go through guided setup again, and would reboot like before. I have already RMA'd it, so I'm not going to mess with it, but it anyone would like try, that might help TiVo guide people through the solution for Margret.
TEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:05 AM   #32
tlwizard

I know for me I never got to Tivo Central. The reboot loop was during the Welcome and guided setup attempts. Glad TivoMargret is checking in, though!
tlwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:49 AM   #33
lemieuxfan67

I was having the same issue as everyone else here. I contacted Margret who was able to assist me and I am able to report that I was able to complete Guided Setup without rebooting. I would suggest to everyone here to e-mail Margret (margret at tivo dot com) with your TSN number. She will verify the configuration of the box first to make sure it will work.
lemieuxfan67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:47 AM   #34
phive0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankshot View Post
...I noticed one difference right away: on initial bootup, just prior to the welcome screen where you pick US or Canada, I saw the following message:

"Preparing the update…
This may take up to an hour, possibly longer."

Kind of strange, I thought - what update? It hadn't even connected to the network yet. Box #3 has an earlier TSN. I specifically chose this unit (out of 2 available) at Best Buy because this problem seemed to pop up only recently. Maybe a recent bad hardware batch was the cause?

This also happened in my case.

My TSN was similar to your #2 Box: 848-0001-903A-D***.
phive0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 11:22 AM   #35
gbruyn

Happy to report that my 2nd replacement unit is up and running great after emailing Margret. I didn't even want to plug it in before confirming that the same issue wouldn't reappear on this 2nd replacement unit.

For some reason, I can't get it to update to 20.4.1 after multiple restarts and connecting to the Tivo service, but I'm not worried about that right now.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:42 AM   #36
lemieuxfan67

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbruyn View Post
Happy to report that my 2nd replacement unit is up and running great after emailing Margret. I didn't even want to plug it in before confirming that the same issue wouldn't reappear on this 2nd replacement unit.

For some reason, I can't get it to update to 20.4.1 after multiple restarts and connecting to the Tivo service, but I'm not worried about that right now.
When finally getting my Tivo up and running with Margret, my software version was at 20.3.6.3.B2-USA-6-INT. After confirming with her that my Tivo is up and running, an hour or two later she told me to check to see if my Tivo was pending restart. Sure enough it was. Now I'm at software version 20.3.8-USA-6-848. My guess is she was able to control what software was getting pushed to my Tivo as a software update when first setting up the Tivo is what I believe caused the boot loop.

I'm just happy to have a working Tivo right now!
Old 05-01-2014, 11:49 AM   #37
tatergator1

I wouldn't be too worried about being on 20.3.8. I don't think the full roll-out of 20.4.1 is complete. I'd guess you'll see 20.4.1 within a week or so if you're not yet getting it.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:16 PM   #38
tlwizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieuxfan67 View Post
I was having the same issue as everyone else here. I contacted Margret who was able to assist me and I am able to report that I was able to complete Guided Setup without rebooting. I would suggest to everyone here to e-mail Margret (margret at tivo dot com) with your TSN number. She will verify the configuration of the box first to make sure it will work.
So you were stuck on the Welcome screen and were rebooting while doing guided setup, or were you able to get to Tivo Central?
tlwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:24 PM   #39
lemieuxfan67

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlwizard View Post
So you were stuck on the Welcome screen and were rebooting while doing guided setup, or were you able to get to Tivo Central?
I was not able to get to Tivo Central. I was stuck in Guided Setup. I sent e-mail to Margret with my TSN and issue (Roamio Reboot Loop). She gave me instructions on a code to enter when I boot up the tivo (I think similar to a kickstart code). This reset my Tivo, then got screen saying update in progress. Once complete, box restarted back to Guided Setup. This time I had no issues completing Guided Setup and getting my box/cablecard to work. Software version 20.3.6.3.B2-USA-6-INT was on my box.

I can't confirm this...but my guess is Margret was able to use my TSN and force my Tivo to download an older version of software.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:46 PM   #40
bankshot

Update: my replacement Roamio Plus from TiVo (Box #2 in my post above) is now working properly. Well, as near as I can tell - still haven't moved the cablecard over because once again things are recording on the old TiVo and I don't want to disturb that... But it has finally broken out of the reboot loop and is running normally. I have been able to transfer a bunch of shows from the computer (via pyTiVo) and can stream them to my iPhone. Excellent.

As of last night, this box was in the same reboot loop as my original Roamio (Box #1). I had emailed TiVoMargret with my TSN but hadn't heard back, so when I tried to set it up anyway last night, I got stuck in the loop.

Today I heard back from Margret - she said that my Box #2 was NOT configured properly and I should hold off. Of course, I had already jumped the gun by this point - whoops! A second email about 30 minutes later informed me it was now safe to proceed. I'd love to know what setting or data was changed on TiVo's end…

After reading reports of success here, I decided to give Box #2 another try since it would be less hassle to return #3 to Best Buy and use #2 (which already had my lifetime subscription and account info).

Since the box was already in the reboot loop, I tried TEG's suggestion of using Demo mode to clear & delete everything, hoping that would put it in a state that would allow Margret's magic behind-the-scenes fix to do its thing. I pulled the ethernet cable and proceeded to set it up as a Demo unit. I didn't reconnect the ethernet until it asked to setup the network. This did allow me to get all the way through to TiVo Central, where I went through the menu to Clear & Delete Everything.

Once the Clear & Delete finished, I was back at the beginning of Setup. I did take note that unlike my Box #3 and lemieuxfan67's experience, I did NOT see the "Preparing update…" screen prior to the initial Setup screen. Went through the menus anyway and... got the reboot loop. Boo!

I tried the Demo mode reset method a couple more times, each time leaving the ethernet cable unconnected until absolutely necessary. While in the reboot loop, I also tried Kickstart codes 52 and 56 on different boots. The lights indicated that the Roamio took the codes, but I don't know if they did anything or not. At one point, the box was in a state where it got all the way to TiVo Central, but always rebooted about 5 seconds after that came up.

Finally on the last try through the process (Demo mode, Clear & Delete, regular Setup), it went all the way through. I honestly don't know what I did any differently that last time. Or maybe it just finally got whatever change TiVoMargret did for me back at TiVo HQ.

At any rate, I appears to be up and running. Box #1 goes back to TiVo and Box #3 goes back to Best Buy. Thank you Margret again for your help! I will update if anything changes...
bankshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:25 AM   #41
TEG

New Replacement TiVo arrived, and I cleared it with Margret while in transit. It was quick to setup, and I was transferring my season passes and existing recordings within 90 minutes. The Cable Card, according to Comcast, needed only be activated, since I didn't have VOD or anything other than Local Channels (Limited Cable), so that is working just fine.

Thanks for all the help everyone.
TEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:26 AM   #42
aryndub

Sorry to revive thread, but just bought a Roamio Pro directly from Tivo. Out of the box it's never made it directly to the Guided setup. I let it sit there for hours and noticed that it's definitely in a reboot loop. I also tried unplugging it for a few hours and then powering it back on to see if something "reset", but still stuck. After spending well over $1k in money for this and Minis, it's not giving me a great feeling.

I've contacted support and they are supposed to set something up in next 24-48 hours and have a new unit shipped out in next 4-5 days. In the meantime, I get the pleasure of explaining to my wife why we won't have TV for over a week and at the same time spent ~$1600 to do so.
aryndub is offline   Reply With Quote