TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-02-2014, 10:10 PM   #1
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Local inserted commercials messed up HD TV

I have a problem with my local cable company and I'm curious if others see this too with their cable providers.

Bear with me as I'm not sure how to best describe it but basically the issue is the local cable company inserts local commercials over the top of the normal commercial breaks but they screw up the format of the inserted content and it really messes up my Tivo when I fast forward though commercials because the tv see the change in resolution and tries to adjust. As a result the whole timing gets off, the screen blanks for a moment and if I'm not careful, by the time the video signal returns, the commercials are over, the program has started and I have to rewind to catch what was skipped. This is only a problem is fast forward at the 3x speed, if I ff slower, the video adjusts but of course, it slower to skip the crappy commercials.

The problem is the cable company inserts SD commercials into a HD feed or even the other way around were a weird format is encountered at the fastest forwarding speed.

Is this just my local cable company doing this or does anyone else see it? It's a pain and I sometimes I wonder if they do this just to mess up the Tivo forwarding past commercials, it has gotten to the point we're I dread watching the major commercial laddin channels such as Discovery, AMC; they leave the less popular channels out of their list of channels were they replace the commercials with local ones those I find I watch more as a result but this whole thing has me mad as the primary reason I pay for Tivo is get by without watching commercials.

While I know it's not TiVo's fault, but rather the cable company I'm frustrated that the Tivo can't handle it better and the idea that the cable company might be doing this on purpose.

I have complained to my cable company, they don't deny the problem nor do they really say much about it one way or the other which it either on purpose or they don't understand how to properly format local inserted content so I get no were complaining to them, they are either really dumb or trying to be really clever.

Thoughts?
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:14 PM   #2
squint

Try different video output format settings in the Tivo. Your TV may have some relevant settings too.
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:29 PM   #3
mattack

Workround: use 30 second skip and you'll likely not run into the problem.

Yes, I'm mostly joking, but I'm one of those for whom I can get through commercial breaks much faster with 30 second skip (plus a few 8 second backs when I wham it too many times) than 3FF
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:38 PM   #4
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Workround: use 30 second skip and you'll likely not run into the problem.

Yes, I'm mostly joking, but I'm one of those for whom I can get through commercial breaks much faster with 30 second skip (plus a few 8 second backs when I wham it too many times) than 3FF
That's the only thing that gets by with this is using the 30 second skip but I'm creature of habit and have used the fast forward for many years and it irritates me as before this you could figure out the timing and it play at the right time until this started happening.

It doesn't matter the output of the Tivo unless you drop to forced 720i which defeats that whole "HD" idea..... most of the time it's SD commercial in a HD program. The part that makes me upset the most is sometimes I forced to watch a commercial (a local one at that!)

And I know explaining it to my cable company is going to get no were, " you are forcing me to watch commercials" complaint isn't something they really care to fix.
TiVo Premiere

Old 05-02-2014, 10:52 PM   #5
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

So, the feed actually changes from an 1080i or 720p to a 480i? wow, you have a crappy cable company!

Why cant you just have 720 and up enabled?
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:57 PM   #6
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgnad View Post
So, the feed actually changes from an 1080i or 720p to a 480i? wow, you have a crappy cable company!

I've seen this with Charter and Time Warner Cable over the years (probably 3 or 4 times on each). For me, it has been a very rare occurrence but it is annoying when it happens.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:17 PM   #7
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgnad View Post

Here you go, an example right now, Im watching Speed right now on AMCHD, which is at 1920x1080i @60hz, when a the local commercial breaks in on top of the national commercial, it suddenly switches to 1280 x720 @60hz when as soon as the local commercial is over it goes back to 1080i. My TV senses the mode change and there is a brief blank out until it adjusts regardless of fast forwarding or not. It's just that by fastest - fast forward, the resolution changes too quickly too many times which why the gets so far off.

Formats I have enabled are 720p, 1080i, 1080p (60fps) and 1080p pass thru. Only one I don't have enabled is 480p and per my video output format screen, 480i isn't supported.
TiVo Premiere

Old 05-02-2014, 11:18 PM   #8
moyekj

Cox has done that for years here, though usually it's 1080i <-> 720p change. VideoRedo doesn't like that and needs the QS Fix video dimension filter turned on to handle it. I have Roamio set to 1080p/60 output only (and 1080p/24 pass through for Netflix & Amazon) now which most of the time works except sometimes with 3x FF the resolution will change and my TV will react to it for a couple of seconds. As Dan203 described in another thread, 1080p/60 is a pretty good single fixed output to choose as it preserves 60 fps for 720p and prevents having the TV have to do further scaling to 1080p/60 itself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by moyekj : 05-02-2014 at 11:24 PM.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:48 AM   #9
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Could there be a setting on the TV where you specify not to have the TV try and change resolutions? Let the Tivo do the scaling.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:21 AM   #10
javabird

Have you tried changing the Tivo settings to force everything to display at a Fixed setting instead of Native, e.g., 1080i or 720p?
javabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:15 AM   #11
Colbyt

All cable companies do it. Those inserts are how they make money on the cable channels.

I agree with locking either the TV or the Tivo and allow only one device to scale the image.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:53 AM   #12
JosephB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyt View Post
All cable companies do it. Those inserts are how they make money on the cable channels.

I agree with locking either the TV or the Tivo and allow only one device to scale the image.
Locally my Charter system's local insertion ads don't force resolution changes.

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
JosephB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:06 AM   #13
tomhorsley

I've never noticed a problem with playing on the TiVo, but sometimes the things the cable company does wreaks havoc on my attempts to save a recording and strip out the commercials. Audio sync problems often abound.
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:07 AM   #14
WO312

I have my Tivo set at fixed 1080i and never see this behavior.
WO312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:27 AM   #15
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

I have tried 1080i only but it doesn't matter, this TV (and others I my house) still are effected, when 720 scaled content is injected, the tvs change format..
TiVo Premiere

Old 05-03-2014, 12:19 PM   #16
HerronScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post
I have tried 1080i only but it doesn't matter, this TV (and others I my house) still are effected, when 720 scaled content is injected, the tvs change format..
You are setting this on the TiVo side (1080i Fixed which is under Video Output Format on my S3 OLED)?

Scott
  4. S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
  5. S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 12:34 PM   #17
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
You are setting this on the TiVo side (1080i Fixed which is under Video Output Format on my S3 OLED)?

Scott
Yes
TiVo Premiere

Old 05-03-2014, 01:29 PM   #18
squint

I just checked my Tivo HD and I'm on 1080i fixed. My TV is a fairly old Samsung and I've never experienced this problem. VideoRedo has detected changing video sizes during commercials in the past.

If the Tivo is truly outputting 1080i all the time then the TV shouldn't change modes...
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 02:20 PM   #19
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyt View Post
Very few insert ads in the wrong format. If they do, then it is generally a bug in their system. The commercials are suppose to respect that network's format.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 03:36 PM   #20
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

I have this issue with some local rebroadcast channels, on three base Roamios, using HDMI-out (the only choice I have).

The CW stands-out as being the most problematic.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:47 PM   #21
Jed1

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post
I have a problem with my local cable company and I'm curious if others see this too with their cable providers.

Bear with me as I'm not sure how to best describe it but basically the issue is the local cable company inserts local commercials over the top of the normal commercial breaks but they screw up the format of the inserted content and it really messes up my Tivo when I fast forward though commercials because the tv see the change in resolution and tries to adjust. As a result the whole timing gets off, the screen blanks for a moment and if I'm not careful, by the time the video signal returns, the commercials are over, the program has started and I have to rewind to catch what was skipped. This is only a problem is fast forward at the 3x speed, if I ff slower, the video adjusts but of course, it slower to skip the crappy commercials.

The problem is the cable company inserts SD commercials into a HD feed or even the other way around were a weird format is encountered at the fastest forwarding speed.

Is this just my local cable company doing this or does anyone else see it? It's a pain and I sometimes I wonder if they do this just to mess up the Tivo forwarding past commercials, it has gotten to the point we're I dread watching the major commercial laddin channels such as Discovery, AMC; they leave the less popular channels out of their list of channels were they replace the commercials with local ones those I find I watch more as a result but this whole thing has me mad as the primary reason I pay for Tivo is get by without watching commercials.

While I know it's not TiVo's fault, but rather the cable company I'm frustrated that the Tivo can't handle it better and the idea that the cable company might be doing this on purpose.

I have complained to my cable company, they don't deny the problem nor do they really say much about it one way or the other which it either on purpose or they don't understand how to properly format local inserted content so I get no were complaining to them, they are either really dumb or trying to be really clever.

Thoughts?
I have the same problem with my cable provider, Service Electric Cablevision. Originally they were broadcasting the commercials in 1080i but if you were watching a 720p channel the resolution changed to 1080i. Also the commercials looked horrible as you could not read any of the writing. I complained about this so they switched the locally produced commercials to 480i so now the resolution changes to 480i on the 720p/1080i channels.
I recently called again so a supervisor told me to call TiVo as he insisted it was a TiVo issue and they could not help me as I do not use their equipment.
He was very hostile and arrogant with me.
I have been suffering through this for almost three years now.

Here is the company that most likely is producing the commercials as this is the company my cable company uses.
http://www.viamediatv.com/default.htm

The cable companies that they represent.
http://www.viamediatv.com/partners.htm

The cable channels that the commercials will be on.
http://www.viamediatv.com/networks.htm
Jed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:00 PM   #22
tim1724

I see this problem on FX even without local ads. As far as I can tell the actual FX (Pacific) feed that my cable company receives has a mix of 1080i and 720p ads. It's not too bad when I'm using 30-second-skip, but my girlfriend insists on using FF and it's a mess. (But at least on my Roamio I don't have to wait for my TV's slow handling of resolution changes, as I have the Roamio set to 1080p output only. On my Series 3 where I had 480p/720p/1080i enabled, it was a real mess.)