TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-13-2014, 02:34 PM   #5941
wrankin

Yeah, having to rebook all the season passes was a pain. I had to first run through a guided setup to flush the old channel mapping out. I found that if I pulled up the old season pass and went to "see upcoming" it would list the shows on the other (correct) channel. I could then select that show from the list and it would give me an option to create a new season pass. After that I would back out to the top level list, move the new season pass next to the old on in the order and then delete the old one. Then lather, rinse, repeat. This seemed about the quickest way to make the changes.

-b

Last edited by wrankin : 03-14-2014 at 08:47 AM.
wrankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 03:35 PM   #5942
cwoody222

That's exactly how I did it too!
Old 03-17-2014, 01:40 PM   #5943
kmilledge

So we just went through the major TWC lineup change in Columbia, SC. I had to rerun guided setup and manually recreate my season passes, which was all loads of fun (sarcasm). At first, I appeared to be getting all of the channels in HD, but now a week later, I'm only getting SD. Is this potentially a tuning adapter issue, or is there something else that I'm missing? Thanks
kmilledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 02:41 PM   #5944
wtherrell

Arrow Tomorrow

Just got email that the new lineup happens tomorrow morning here in Charlotte Area. Not looking forward to it.
wtherrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 03:01 PM   #5945
dougdingle
HD Tech

Does TW allow customers to supply their own cablecards?

I am soooo tired of TW raising the fees on its cablecards constantly. I'm somewhere around $20-$25/month for the five I have now, which is ridiculous.

I'd like to get my own off ebay or somewhere, and just have TW activate them.

Is this possible to do (in Los Angeles)?
dougdingle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:18 AM   #5946
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdingle View Post
I am soooo tired of TW raising the fees on its cablecards constantly. I'm somewhere around $20-$25/month for the five I have now, which is ridiculous.

I'd like to get my own off ebay or somewhere, and just have TW activate them.

Is this possible to do (in Los Angeles)?
I've asked TW this several times; all of the agents say no.
They all told me that the cable card has to be "programmed" in the head office for the area.
They make it sound like a non volatile eprom has to be flashed to the local specs; but I'm guessing on that.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:10 AM   #5947
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
I've asked TW this several times; all of the agents say no.
They all told me that the cable card has to be "programmed" in the head office for the area.
They make it sound like a non volatile eprom has to be flashed to the local specs; but I'm guessing on that.
As I understand it, the cable cards have to be the same brand as the equipment at the head end that they'll be interacting with, and the same cable company may have one brand in one market and the other brand in another market.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:22 PM   #5948
cwoody222

They recently sent me a new CC to fix a problem they couldn't figure out (solution turned out to be they were not aware of what channels I should be getting with a particular package).

When I got the replacement CC (because of course the solution was "faulty hardware" not "I don't know what you should receive, sir") it didn't work because it wasn't prepared correctly or some such as the local office.

They wanted to send me another one but I declined and then we figured out there was no problem anyway.

(the operator who finally figured it out did so by giving me a $5 package and saying "Do you get the channel now?"... no idea why the other 3 techs couldn't try that)

They charged me $9.99 to ship me the card (which I returned) and last night when I called to get them to refund me I picked up Showtime for only $3/mo for 12 months. When I called about their faulty replacement CC I ended up with $50/mo off my bill due to some package shenanigans.

So I guess they can keep screwing up and making me call if they keep saving me money / giving me deals.

But I digress...

In other news... is this just basically like a Roku with the TW app and some lower-tier apps like Crackle? No DVR and no broadcast channels (in most markets). What about OnDemand?

http://gizmodo.com/fantvs-slick-cabl...-wa-1566138994

It doesn't use Coax or a CableCARD so I assume it's an OTT app.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:15 PM   #5949
jollygrunt777

I wonder what would be the point of getting fan TV to improve twc's cable TV ui since Comcast is eventually bringing their x1/x2 platform to Twc subscribers.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
jollygrunt777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 04:43 PM   #5950
rcoates777

TWC - Broadcast TV Fee

Gang -

My TWC bill arrived today - always interesting to see what will be screwed up each month.

The $2.25 Broadcast TV fee showed up TWICE. Talking to the TWC CS dude he told me that it was because I had 2 cable jacks. I don't think he's correct. My guess is that one was for last month's bill (3/24-4/24) and the other for the pay-it-forward (next month's) bill (4/24-5/23). He checked with his supervisor and said he was correct. I can't believe if someone has 6 wall jacks that they are going to get a bill of $2.25*6 each month.

What has your experience been with this new charge?

Thanks

Bob
rcoates777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:37 PM   #5951
jollygrunt777

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoates777 View Post
Gang -

My TWC bill arrived today - always interesting to see what will be screwed up each month.

The $2.25 Broadcast TV fee showed up TWICE. Talking to the TWC CS dude he told me that it was because I had 2 cable jacks. I don't think he's correct. My guess is that one was for last month's bill (3/24-4/24) and the other for the pay-it-forward (next month's) bill (4/24-5/23). He checked with his supervisor and said he was correct. I can't believe if someone has 6 wall jacks that they are going to get a bill of $2.25*6 each month.

Thanks

Bob
I live in Texas and I don't see that surcharge in my new bill.

Franchise fee - 6.41
Twc regulatory recovery fee - 0.26
Twc puc recovery fee - 0.03
State universal service fund - 0.66
Federal universal service fund - 1.03
Peg capital fee - 1.35
Twc state cost recovery fee - 1.39

Plus taxes.

Maybe that's a fee specific to your state?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-22-2014, 06:54 PM   #5952
truman861

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoates777 View Post
Gang -

Thanks

Bob
Yeah, I would fight that one, I have two cable outlets in the 3 bedrooms, the living room, one in the kitchen and one in the garage. If BHN Tampa tried that one, they would have a MAJOR issue. Thankfully I just switched to Verizon Fios last thursday though. Much happier.
truman861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:01 AM   #5953
artemis89

Just joined. I have TWC on the east coast. Preferred TV and Standard internet. That's it. I own my own modem too so they don't get rental fees out of me.

Anyway, I'm going to use the Series3 DVR (with lifetime service, got a heck of a deal on it) to replace my TWC DVR. I plan to go into my local store to return the DVR once my Tivo arrives and to get a CableCard and then take it home and install it myself. (We can still install it ourselves, right?)

I called TWC just to make sure that this was possible (doing an in-store swap) and boy, I started getting a lot of nonsense.

I know I won't be able to use OnDemand with Tivo but I already use my Roku to watch Time Warner TV channels and OnDemand in the bedroom. I want to continue to do this so I can get free OnDemand. She kept telling me that once I get a cablecard and get rid of my TWC DVR, I'll lose access to the app. What?

Any advice would be helpful. I'm totally new to Tivo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truman861 View Post
Yeah, I would fight that one, I have two cable outlets in the 3 bedrooms, the living room, one in the kitchen and one in the garage. If BHN Tampa tried that one, they would have a MAJOR issue. Thankfully I just switched to Verizon Fios last thursday though. Much happier.
Yeah, definitely. I have 2 cable jacks and have had 2 ever since I got my cable in 2012. Even when I changed apartments, I still had 2 (one in the living room, one in the bedroom) and have used both. I've never gotten charged.
artemis89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:13 AM   #5954
cwoody222

That's bull.

I use Time Warner's channel on my Roku alongside my TiVo just fine. No TWC DVR here, have never had one. I even have my own modem, like you.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:29 AM   #5955
artemis89

Yeah, I had a feeling they were just feeding me a line. Thanks for confirming though. I actually watch a fair amount of free OnDemand. As long as it's available on the Roku, I'm fine.

The Tivo I'm getting has 2 CableCard slots, so I can use either 2 S-cards or 1 M-card.

Do you know if TWC CableCards are all M-cards these days? Or do I have to ask specifically and risk getting the lady at the store really confused?

I would prefer just to use 1 M-card if possible. It's a dual tuner but from what I understand, I can use just 1 M-card and it will work fine.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:06 AM   #5956
Eccles
Mostly harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis89 View Post
Do you know if TWC CableCards are all M-cards these days? Or do I have to ask specifically and risk getting the lady at the store really confused? I would prefer just to use 1 M-card if possible. It's a dual tuner but from what I understand, I can use just 1 M-card and it will work fine.
I don't know, but I would be very surprised if they still supply S-cards these days. I haven't had to ask the last couple of times - they've just given me an M-card.

You definitely want to get a single M, because they charge you a monthly fee per card.
150-hour Premiere XL (Lifetime)
Eccles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:10 AM   #5957
artemis89

Will it actually say "M-Card" on an M-Card? So I can make sure I get the right one? I'm worried about confusing the local store woman and having her mess up my account or giving me the wrong card. I have very low confidence in customer service reps, sadly.

Yeah, I definitely only want one. I got a Tivo to save money each month *(plus I'm sick of their DVR) so I don't want to spend more than I have to.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:26 AM   #5958
WO312

With TWC, I'm pretty sure you will need a tuning adapter also.

Also, cablecards required depends on what S3 you have. The original one will require 2 cable cards. The HD gets by with only one. The original S3 has a digital display on the front, the HD doesn't.

And I'm pretty sure nobody supplies S cards anymore.
WO312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 12:25 PM   #5959
artemis89

Yeah, TWC is going to give me a free tuning adapter with my card. You just have to say that you're going to use it with a Tivo and they give it to you.

I definitely have to remember to ask for it because I am paying for digital channels and I need to be able to view them.

It's the HD, although it comes with 2 slots. But from what I understand, 1 M-card should be enough. If only S-cards are available, then I'd have to use 2.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:38 PM   #5960
jollygrunt777

Well I turned in the 8742hdc I was renting today. My bill is going down by $40 a month. I'm now paying $201 including taxes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
Old 05-08-2014, 09:03 AM   #5961
artemis89

I just turned in my TWC DVR and remote. I asked for my CableCard and tuning adapter. The old woman working the desk was a real dingbat and was like "You aren't going to get digital cable with the Tivo." Yeah, okay, whatever. I was tired and didn't feel like arguing so I was just like "Okay, that's cool. No, please keep the digital cable on my account, I want to pay for it even though I'm not getting it. Please give me a digital tuning adapter."
Heh.

I got the adapter (bigger than I thought, thought it was going to be a little dongle) and my CableCard. It's definitely an M-card because it says "multi-stream" on it.

My bill went down $25 a month or so.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:04 AM   #5962
artemis89

I was worried that the old lady got confused and messed up my account but I just logged online and everything looks okay. I have Preferred TV (digital cable), no more box (says I have a cablecard), and my Standard internet (my own modem). Everything looks okay. I am going to install it today. Let's hope nothing gets messed up.

Any tips for installing with Time Warner? I know I have to call to get the card "paired" with them.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:44 PM   #5963
truman861

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis89 View Post
I was worried that the old lady got confused and messed up my account but I just logged online and everything looks okay. I have Preferred TV (digital cable), no more box (says I have a cablecard), and my Standard internet (my own modem). Everything looks okay. I am going to install it today. Let's hope nothing gets messed up.

Any tips for installing with Time Warner? I know I have to call to get the card "paired" with them.
Make sure to speak with Priority Resolutions team but still the best of luck. I went through 7 TA's and 4 cards including a 4 hour tech visit which involved 3 techs at one point. Turns out it was some type of setting which was supposed to be turned on and wasn't, Kept being told that everything was good on their end and it wasn't. Sorry I don't know what it was that never got turned on.
Just keep in mind you don't get anything on demand and my bill dropped 20.00 for each of my dvrs (12 for the box, 8 for the service of the individual box) and 12.00 for the non dvr box. I did have to pay the 3.95 per month Cable card charge though and no fee for the tuning adapter.

Good luck
truman861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 11:37 AM   #5964
artemis89

Well it's working, finally!

The first CC wouldn't pair properly. I did it through the dedicated CC help line. It really was a bum card. I went over my local store and got a new one. The new one paired properly but my channels were really messed up. I had a TWC tech come by and he swapped out my digital tuning adapter for a new one. That seemed to solve the problem. My channels before were cutting in and out but now they are fine.

Now I'm saving over $20 a month with my Tivo. The software on it is a little dated but I don't care. I use my roku for streaming. If the HDD fails in the Tivo (original owner had it since 2007), I'll just get a new HDD and install it myself and be able to retain the lifetime service.

This was definitely worth the purchase and the small hassle in order to save money and get a DVR that I can expand if I want.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:04 AM   #5965
59er
TiVotee

Exclamation NYC new lineup coming 6/10

I recently received the notice about a total lineup rebuild for NYC effective 6/10. I'm bracing myself for this one.
59er is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:57 AM   #5966
MKREdit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59er View Post
I recently received the notice about a total lineup rebuild for NYC effective 6/10. I'm bracing myself for this one.
Yes Brooklyn is 6/5
MKREdit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 05:59 PM   #5967
jgolden

Quote:
Originally Posted by WO312 View Post
Also, cablecards required depends on what S3 you have. The original one will require 2 cable cards. The HD gets by with only one. The original S3 has a digital display on the front, the HD doesn't.

And I'm pretty sure nobody supplies S cards anymore.
I always thought I needed 2 cable cards for the S3 HD, can anyone else confirm 1 m-card can be used for both tuners (before I pull one and test)?

Last edited by jgolden : 05-29-2014 at 10:59 PM.
jgolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:19 PM   #5968
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgolden View Post
I always thought I needed 2 cable cards for the S3, can anyone else confirm 1 m-card can be used for both tuners (before I pull one and test)?
The S3 (with OLED display) requires 2 cablecards. multistream support was never implemented.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 01:04 AM   #5969
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgolden View Post
I always thought I needed 2 cable cards for the S3 HD, can anyone else confirm 1 m-card can be used for both tuners (before I pull one and test)?
The original Series 3, the TCD648250 (with the clock display and the buttons on the front), went into production before the cable cabal had the final specs on M cards locked down, and when they did come out they were different enough from what had previously been expected that the 648 couldn't be made to work with just one for both tuners, although it can use 2 M cards, one for each tuner. Not certain if it can use one S card and one M card or not.

The next two Series 3 platform models, the HD (TCD652160) and HD XL (TCD658000), can use 2 S cards or one M card.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:29 AM   #5970
artemis89

Okay I have a quick question. As I think I've stated before, I'm in Rochester and I have Preferred TV. I found out recently that apparently my favourite channel, Investigation Discovery, is available on Standard TV. I was really surprised to find that out! But I'm really confused, I thought Standard TV only went up to channel 70?

Does Standard TV still allow to to watch Free OnDemand through the TWC app? I use my roku to watch OnDemand since getting my tivo.

I'm thinking of downgrading to Standard TV to save some money because as long as I get that channel I'm happy!

Sent from Tapatalk