TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-02-2014, 08:42 AM   #1
lammcspicy

Supported Nas's

Guys,

What NAS devices are supported for the Tivo 3 ? I am using a laptop with a 2tb attached and PYTIVO. Are there any supported NAS's so that i can do away with the laptop ?
lammcspicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:31 AM   #2
buscuitboy

NETGEAR NAS devices

I belive NETGEAR has some NAS devices that support TiVO hardware & archive like you are looking for. They are called the ReadyNAS line of storage. I'm not sure if this is outdated, but here is some info about it:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/de...o-the-readynas
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:52 AM   #3
jrtroo
User

What do you mean by supported?

You can install pytivo on many types of boxes. I use it with WHS.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:00 PM   #4
dwatt

I just bought and setup a ReadyNAS 104 for this very purpose. Turned on DLNA, activated my tivos and entered the MAK in the settings and my Series 3 tivos see the shares on the NAS. Thought I would need to install Pytivo but the ReadyNAS makes it very easy and no need to install Pytivo.
dwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:18 PM   #5
lammcspicy

ugh, I was hoping that a wd nas would work since there was a deal for them today. Dont feel like shelling out 200+ when I have a laptop providing the service for me
lammcspicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:46 PM   #6
buscuitboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammcspicy View Post
ugh, I was hoping that a wd nas would work since there was a deal for them today. Dont feel like shelling out 200+ when I have a laptop providing the service for me
Actually, I agree and why I haven't jumped on a ReadyNAS either. I looked into them as well, but just too pricey for me right now. I actually have two older desktops running pyTivo in a similar fashion and it works well for my needs right now. Maybe not as easy as the NETGEAR equipment, but pretty much does the same thing I am looking to do. And free is better than $200
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 02:04 PM   #7
dwatt

I had Pytivo running on a desktop and would have stayed with that setup but the desktop died after 12 years so I made the leap to the NAS.
Old 05-02-2014, 02:18 PM   #8
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Note that this only works for videos that are strictly mpeg that don't require transcoding. If you are working with any content that requires transcoding including formats of mpeg with certain audio tracks, pyTivo usually is a better solution. The netgear DLNA service strictly is a transfer service and doesn't assure playback.
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:00 PM   #9
mcf57

I have been running pyTiVo on a networked PC as well. For some reason though, I have never been able to get it transcode and transfer .MKV files properly to my various TiVos (Series 3s and premieres). Any kind of .mp4 or .avi file works fine, but its just .mkvs that won't transfer properly.

Not sure why and I have tried various solution and numerous different networked PCs only to have them ALL have the same problem after the file is sent to the TiVO....audio skipping that makes it unwatchable.
mcf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:01 PM   #10
dwatt

Noted.

With the easy/limited way done, now I just need to figure out how to get Pytivo configured and running on the ReadyNAS.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:41 PM   #11
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammcspicy View Post
Guys,

What NAS devices are supported for the Tivo 3 ? I am using a laptop with a 2tb attached and PYTIVO. Are there any supported NAS's so that i can do away with the laptop ?
Supported by whom?

TiVo?

Ain't none.

The NAS device maker? I doubt you'll get an ironclad written guarantee from them, either.

You might get "happens to work with".

And an old desktop might be cheaper than a new NAS.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 06:55 PM   #12
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcf57 View Post
I have been running pyTiVo on a networked PC as well. For some reason though, I have never been able to get it transcode and transfer .MKV files properly to my various TiVos (Series 3s and premieres). Any kind of .mp4 or .avi file works fine, but its just .mkvs that won't transfer properly.

Not sure why and I have tried various solution and numerous different networked PCs only to have them ALL have the same problem after the file is sent to the TiVO....audio skipping that makes it unwatchable.
MKV's can be tough, grab a copy of mediainfo and that will tell you how they are encoded, the best way I handle them is to covert them to mpeg with a conversion program before sending in them to my Tivo as I have had the same audio skip too. Usually it's a issue of high bitrate with AC3 audio track that ffmpeg doesn't like.
TiVo Premiere

Old 05-02-2014, 07:48 PM   #13
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
The NAS device maker? I doubt you'll get an ironclad written guarantee from them, either.

You might get "happens to work with".
Netgear provides it in writing, see the link above. It is intentional and not a "happens to work with" kind of thing.

With that said they do disguise it as DLNA when it is really HME. They have a true HME server as well as a DLNA server on these boxes, they just make it look to the user like it is all DLNA. They call it ReadyDLNA.

And yes it only works with TiVo files and properly formatted MPEG2 files, it DOES NOT transcode.

There are hacking sites for various NAS boxes that provide good instructions for installing PyTivo, but PyTivo running on a weak NAS processor won't transcode fast enough to be useful. The last time I tried it, it took nearly a day to transcode a 30 minute show on a Buffalo Linkstation. That was years ago and the processors are faster now, but I doubt they are fast enough to be truly useful. PyTivo is best used on a computer, or server box, with enough of a processor to allow it to work well. I have heard people use it on celeron's, not fast, but not completely unusable either.
CuriousMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:51 PM   #14
mcf57

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post
....the best way I handle them is to covert them to mpeg with a conversion program before sending in them to my Tivo as I have had the same audio skip too. Usually it's a issue of high bitrate with AC3 audio track that ffmpeg doesn't like.
Yea, I thought about trying to convert them as well. However, I just found it MUCH easier & faster to "obtain" the .AVI or .MP4 version of the file instead.
mcf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:38 PM   #15
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousMark View Post
Netgear provides it in writing, see the link above. It is intentional and not a "happens to work with" kind of thing.

With that said they do disguise it as DLNA when it is really HME. They have a true HME server as well as a DLNA server on these boxes, they just make it look to the user like it is all DLNA. They call it ReadyDLNA.

And yes it only works with TiVo files and properly formatted MPEG2 files, it DOES NOT transcode.

There are hacking sites for various NAS boxes that provide good instructions for installing PyTivo, but PyTivo running on a weak NAS processor won't transcode fast enough to be useful. The last time I tried it, it took nearly a day to transcode a 30 minute show on a Buffalo Linkstation. That was years ago and the processors are faster now, but I doubt they are fast enough to be truly useful. PyTivo is best used on a computer, or server box, with enough of a processor to allow it to work well. I have heard people use it on celeron's, not fast, but not completely unusable either.
I'm glad you described your experience with the Buffalo NAS, I have several of them and at one point considered putting pyTivo on one of them but took everyone's advice on how slow they did the transcoding and didn't do do it. Until now I hadn't actually heard just how slow it really was.
TiVo Premiere