TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 166 votes, 4.98 average.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:47 PM   #1021
Xabanero

Still getting V53 errors on TWC.
Xabanero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:41 PM   #1022
pshivers
Retired!

Charter FCC Complaint Update

Update on the FCC Complaint I filed against Charter a couple of weeks ago...

As noted earlier I received a firmware upgrade to 153.1101 to one of my Roamio Boxes CableCards. I had to swap cards around so my Roamio Pro had the current firmware CableCard. I got everything switched and reactivated and my 6 Tuner Roamio Pro has been working without failure for 4 days now.

This morning I got a phone call from "Larry" at Charter Management stating they had received my FCC complaint and they would be getting Charter Management involved and to expect another phone call from them in the next few days....

Makes me wonder if the firmware upgrade I received last week was related to the complaint or just a part of scheduled (unannounced) upgrades?

Looking forward to receiving the next phone call to see what is going on at Charter...
Charter CableCard Firmware Updated to PKEY_1.5.3_F.p.1101 All 6 tuners are now Active and Working!
Tivo Roamio
Tivo Mini (x3)

pshivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:52 PM   #1023
pshivers
Retired!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xabanero View Post
Still getting V53 errors on TWC.
V53 is specific to cable cards. Other then trying new cable cards to fix that error code, try cold booting the box to fix this error.

To cold boot your TiVo, Unplug the Internet connection along with the power.

Wait 15 seconds and only plug the power back in.

Once everything is booted back up, plug the Internet connection back in

Connect to the TiVo service by going to messages and settings- Settings- Network- Connect to TiVo service now.

Quote:
"Problem with the signal on this channel. Trying again." when entering Live TV or tuning to another channel.

Normally, this error indicates that there is a problem with the video signal from your cable provider, and you should contact your cable provider for assistance. However, if your box was working correctly before, then suddenly displays this error, try the two steps below before calling your cable provider:

Reboot the TiVo device by unplugging the power cord for 15 seconds, then plugging it back in.
If rebooting doesn't remove the error, make sure all cables are securely connected at both ends, particularly the coaxial cable that provides your cable TV signal.
If the error remains, contact your cable provider for assistance with your signal.
I have not seen any information as to what CableCard/Firmware you are currently running. This information may help others on this forum to resolve your problem...
Charter CableCard Firmware Updated to PKEY_1.5.3_F.p.1101 All 6 tuners are now Active and Working!
Tivo Roamio
Tivo Mini (x3)

Old 04-10-2014, 03:00 PM   #1024
clintavila

I'm in Houston and had a conversation via email going with Comcast Cares. She (Delerie Magee) said she would email me when she found something about how I could get my firmware update pushed. Her original message said the head tech said there is no such firmware update. I even included the actual posts of Comcast customers who got the update via Comcast Cares. That was a month ago! I emailed her again and have not gotten any response. I've got 4 tuners working but I can't help but feel angry that I am now being ignored. I've read that everyone will be getting PKEY_1.5.3_F.p.1101 update sometime "this year". Oh the frustration. I'm wondering if I should just sit tight and wait.. Or file an FCC complaint and see if I get a response from Comcast. I also read that Houston is supposed to be updated so that Xfinity ONDemand will work with TiVo. It's scheduled to be done by June 30th according to announcement from TiVo. I wonder if PKEY_1.5.3_F.p.1101 will be pushed at the same time. Who knew upgrading my system would be such a pain in the ass. :0(
clintavila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 03:03 PM   #1025
Unbeliever
Random Nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshivers View Post

Makes me wonder if the firmware upgrade I received last week was related to the complaint or just a part of scheduled (unannounced) upgrades?
Altadena got 1101 recently, so it's a general push.

--Carlos V.
Unbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 03:10 PM   #1026
andyf

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintavila View Post
I'm in Houston and had a conversation via email going with Comcast Cares. She (Delerie Magee) said she would email me when she found something about how I could get my firmware update pushed. Her original message said the head tech said there is no such firmware update. I even included the actual posts of Comcast customers who got the update via Comcast Cares. That was a month ago! I emailed her again and have not gotten any response. I've got 4 tuners working but I can't help but feel angry that I am now being ignored. I've read that everyone will be getting PKEY_1.5.3_F.p.1101 update sometime "this year". Oh the frustration. I'm wondering if I should just sit tight and wait.. Or file an FCC complaint and see if I get a response from Comcast. I also read that Houston is supposed to be updated so that Xfinity ONDemand will work with TiVo. It's scheduled to be done by June 30th according to announcement from TiVo. I wonder if PKEY_1.5.3_F.p.1101 will be pushed at the same time. Who knew upgrading my system would be such a pain in the ass. :0(
I tried to get my firmware updated in Houston through regular channels and like you, eventually they stopped responding to me. Thanks to an ex-member here on the forums, he was able to get my firmware updated for me through a contact he had at Comcast in Houston. Unfortunately he was banned from the forums for whatever reason.

So it is possible. Comcast Houston does have the firmware somewhere, I just don't think it's possible to negotiate around the red tape.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:42 PM   #1027
bmgoodman

Run in circles, wait, repeat

So I was given some good information from two Roamio users just a few miles from me. Armed with this information, I went through the Comcast Cares route and opened a ticket. So far, my rep has tracked down the other rep who worked on both of the tickets I was told about. "Aha!" Surely I'm making progress.... But I have now learned that the engineer involved on the back end who actually got the "beta" firmware upgrade installed has moved on to another job. (It's unclear if he's still with Comcast, but he's not readily available so far as I know.)

So now there is seemingly nobody technical affiliated with Comcast in northern Virginia who can actually perform the upgrade. They're supposedly looking for another engineer who might be able to do it.

I'm not sure how much I believe, but I've worked for a massive communications company before and this type of thing has a ring of truth.

Of course, it's no less frustrating....
bmgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:36 PM   #1028
pshivers
Retired!

Quote:
Update on the FCC Complaint I filed against Charter a couple of weeks ago...

As noted earlier I received a firmware upgrade to 153.1101 to one of my Roamio Boxes CableCards. I had to swap cards around so my Roamio Pro had the current firmware CableCard. I got everything switched and reactivated and my 6 Tuner Roamio Pro has been working without failure for 4 days now.

This morning I got a phone call from "Larry" at Charter Management stating they had received my FCC complaint and they would be getting Charter Management involved and to expect another phone call from them in the next few days....

Looking forward to receiving the next phone call to see what is going on at Charter...
Charter Called me back today and confirmed that they had pushed PKEY_1.5.3_F.p.1101 to PKM800 cards only, It was unclear if this was done for specific cases or a general push. When I asked if I could expect an update to my PKM803 CableCard I was told an update for Non-PKM800 cards was being planned for a later date. I guess I'm fortunate one of my CC's where amongst those getting the current Firmware release. I also confirmed that CC's being issued now should also have PKEY_1.5.3_F.p.1101 on them (if you get lucky and receive a NEW card!). They had no clue that I had two Roamios....

Bottom line, Charter does not seem to very forthcoming on what their plans are for keeping things current in the CableCard world. I guess I should just count myself lucky that I have a compatible CableCard and Firmware for my 6 tuner Roamio Pro now...

I've had zero errors on my Roamio Pro since the updated CableCard with PKEY_1.5.3_F.p.1101 was installed. All Six tuners are working without failure, I consider this problem closed for my own household...
Tivo Roamio
Tivo Mini (x3)

Old 04-17-2014, 03:45 AM   #1029
GmanTiVo
give me more options

How to check if all 6 tuners are working at the same time?

is there a quick way in Account Settings & Info to check how many and which ones are being used?

It would be neat to have a submenu window showing just that...

Tuner 1: Mini: Live Channel: CBSHD: News at 7
Tuner 2: Roamio Pro: Recording: DiscoveryHD: Mythbusters
Tuner 3: Roamio Pro: Live Channel: ESPNHD: Sports Center
etc.,
etc
Old 04-17-2014, 07:38 AM   #1030
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanTiVo View Post
is there a quick way in Account Settings & Info to check how many and which ones are being used?

etc.,
etc
I'm not sure what you want that isn't given by "info" (or "right-arrow"), followed by down-arrow when watching live-tv. It's not exactly as above, but pretty close (you don't get what channel the Mini is showing, but I would claim you shouldn't.)
Old 04-17-2014, 08:22 AM   #1031
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
I'm not sure what you want that isn't given by "info" (or "right-arrow"), followed by down-arrow when watching live-tv. It's not exactly as above, but pretty close (you don't get what channel the Mini is showing, but I would claim you shouldn't.)
As noted, the Info screen will show everything you want, except the actual tuner "number" for each channel. As noted, you can't see the Mini's channel here, but you can figure it out by going into the DVR Diagnostics page and scrolling through the info for all tuners and, by process of elimination, figure out what channel the Mini is on.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:14 AM   #1032
AdamNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanTiVo View Post

etc.,
etc
if you go through the cablecard screens, it tells you which tuner is tuned to which channel, cci byte...etc. This is for a cisco/sa card. I am not home to give exact instructions right now, but i think it is on the CA screens.

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 02:17 PM   #1033
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyf View Post
I tried to get my firmware updated in Houston through regular channels and like you, eventually they stopped responding to me. Thanks to an ex-member here on the forums, he was able to get my firmware updated for me through a contact he had at Comcast in Houston. Unfortunately he was banned from the forums for whatever reason.

So it is possible. Comcast Houston does have the firmware somewhere, I just don't think it's possible to negotiate around the red tape.
It's definitely possible. I'm in Pasadena and all I had to do was email comcast_cares and the next day a nice lady called me back and updated the firmware in about 10 minutes.

Include your account number, a phone number, and everything you can think of from the CableCARD diagnostics screen.
ggieseke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:05 AM   #1034
bmgoodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmgoodman View Post
So I was given some good information from two Roamio users just a few miles from me. Armed with this information, I went through the Comcast Cares route and opened a ticket. So far, my rep has tracked down the other rep who worked on both of the tickets I was told about. "Aha!" Surely I'm making progress.... But I have now learned that the engineer involved on the back end who actually got the "beta" firmware upgrade installed has moved on to another job. (It's unclear if he's still with Comcast, but he's not readily available so far as I know.)

So now there is seemingly nobody technical affiliated with Comcast in northern Virginia who can actually perform the upgrade. They're supposedly looking for another engineer who might be able to do it.

I'm not sure how much I believe, but I've worked for a massive communications company before and this type of thing has a ring of truth.

Of course, it's no less frustrating....
So another week of waiting to be told that nobody left in the engineering department (in my region) knows anything about a beta program or how to upgrade individual firmware. There is also no planned rollout in my area. They went so far as to say that nobody in my area has ever been given this new firmware, despite my having Comcast help ticket numbers from two people within 5 miles of me.

They're succeeding in their plan to wear me down and make this so time consuming that I just go away, though I may complain to my city's cable franchise authority. What I don't know is what is Comcast's legal obligation to provide this upgrade to me (A) now that they have provided it to others in my area and (B) their X1 5-tuner DVR is available in my area.

Lastly, I'm wondering if providing them with the name of a Comcast engineer who is doing these firmware upgrades in California, Texas, or New Jersey would be useful....
bmgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:21 AM   #1035
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
So another week of waiting to be told that nobody left in the engineering department (in my region) knows anything about a beta program or how to upgrade individual firmware. There is also no planned rollout in my area. They went so far as to say that nobody in my area has ever been given this new firmware, despite my having Comcast help ticket numbers from two people within 5 miles of me.

They're succeeding in their plan to wear me down and make this so time consuming that I just go away, though I may complain to my city's cable franchise authority. What I don't know is what is Comcast's legal obligation to provide this upgrade to me (A) now that they have provided it to others in my area and (B) their X1 5-tuner DVR is available in my area.

Lastly, I'm wondering if providing them with the name of a Comcast engineer who is doing these firmware upgrades in California, Texas, or New Jersey would be useful....
An FCC complaint is likely to provide more benefit to you. It's an FCC requirement that they supply you with a 6-tuner cablecard once they make more than a 4-tuner device available in your area.

I'm sure if you talk to the right folks at Comcast National, you'll get action from Comcast. It's just finding those folks that is so difficult, as you've discovered! An FCC complain will get high up attention, especially now in the pre-TW-merger era.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:06 PM   #1036
tim1724

Quote:
My PK800 got upgraded to 1.5.3.1101 a few days before Charter Alhambra went to its new all-digital lineup. Seems to be a system-wide rollout. (Not surprising, as Charter seems incapable of updating individual devices.)

Now if only they'd update their tuning adapters to the latest firmware. (Or get rid of SDV.)
Old 04-18-2014, 05:46 PM   #1037
pshivers
Retired!

My Tuning Adapter from Charter (Alhambra) firmware is at STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.1601
TiVo recommend a release of at least 1402. The most current release from Cisco is STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.1901
Tivo Roamio
Tivo Mini (x3)

Last edited by pshivers : 04-18-2014 at 06:03 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:51 PM   #1038
tim1724

Quote:
My Tuning Adapter from Charter (Alhambra) firmware is at STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.1601
TiVo recommend a release of at least 1402. The most current release from Cisco is STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.1901
Yep, same here. Charter Alhambra upgraded to 1601 at some point in the last few months. I wish they'd go up to 1901, as that version is supposed to fix the problem where the TA randomly stops working, necessitating a reboot.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:43 AM   #1039
pshivers
Retired!

Quote:

Quote:
An FCC complaint is likely to provide more benefit to you. It's an FCC requirement that they supply you with a 6-tuner cablecard once they make more than a 4-tuner device available in your area.

I'm sure if you talk to the right folks at Comcast National, you'll get action from Comcast. It's just finding those folks that is so difficult, as you've discovered! An FCC complain will get high up attention, especially now in the pre-TW-merger era.
File an FCC complaint, that will light a fire underneath them large enough to force them into action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed13b View Post
You can submit the complaint at http://www.fcc.gov/complaints. One of the complaint types is broadcast tv/cable/satellite issues and within that section there's a cable card issue selection.

I just laid out the problem...the Tivo supports 6 tuners, I have a Cisco cable card, yet my cable company has not upgraded the firmware to support 6 tuners. I copied/pasted the min requirements for 6 tuners from Tivo (via their support page) and also put what firmware version I was running.

I got a call from Charter within 1 week of submitting, not knowing what to expect I was surprised at how quickly this happened. The local folks called me quite a few times while working to schedule the fix.

Unrelated question...with your all-digital conversion complete, do you still need a tuning adapter?

Hope this helps!

Tivo Roamio
Tivo Mini (x3)

Last edited by pshivers : 04-19-2014 at 04:16 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:58 AM   #1040
GmanTiVo
give me more options

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
As noted, the Info screen will show everything you want, except the actual tuner "number" for each channel. As noted, you can't see the Mini's channel here, but you can figure it out by going into the DVR Diagnostics page and scrolling through the info for all tuners and, by process of elimination, figure out what channel the Mini is on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamNJ View Post
if you go through the cablecard screens, it tells you which tuner is tuned to which channel, cci byte...etc. This is for a cisco/sa card. I am not home to give exact instructions right now, but i think it is on the CA screens.
Thank you!
Old 04-23-2014, 09:48 PM   #1041
JWhites

Just wanted to give everyone on Comcast a heads up about the cablecard firmware. According to ComcastTeds on the Comcast forum, there was an issue with the .1101 firmware and .1201 should be rolled out sometime this year http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Xfinity...hread-id/93096
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:42 PM   #1042
andyf

No TiVo user should care about 1201. 1101 is all that is required to resolve the v58 errors (and for me V53 errors) regardless of how the cards function in the X1 platform.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:02 AM   #1043
DeltaOne
Mount Airy, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhites View Post
...should be rolled out sometime this year.
Sometime this year. Those folks at Comcast are lightening FAST!
DeltaOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:06 AM   #1044
jwbelcher

Quote:
No TiVo user should care about 1201. 1101 is all that is required to resolve the v58 errors (and for me V53 errors) regardless of how the cards function in the X1 platform.
Until 1201 breaks us
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:11 AM   #1045
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Where do I see the firmware version?

I have this same problem on my Roamio: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...5#post10088015

Putting it to 5 tuners is no help--the bad tuner is still trying but failing, I lost one of the good ones instead. Would a reboot retain this setting and if so does it figure out to ignore the dead one then?
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:15 AM   #1046
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey ghost View Post
Thanks Geek. I'm a Tivo virgin and I'm still feeling my way around a Tivo.

I still can't figure out how to hit stop(not pause), so I can stop/delete a show quickly.
New to this thread, did anyone answer you? It's clear, then "stop and delete" is down one. (from now playing) I don't know a way to do it from the live TV guide.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:34 AM   #1047
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

All fixed! I went to five tuners, that was no help. I rebooted, enabled the six tuners again, and now all six are getting a signal fine (both on live TV and in DVR Diagnostics page).

Hope this sticks--does anyone know what causes this? We never noticed "no signal" on failed recordings in the History before, but then again maybe we just didn't notice. We record a lot of crap.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:27 AM   #1048
andyf

You should try going to 5 tuners and reboot. Even though 6 tuners are working now, one will most likely fail. You can find your CC firmware in DVR diagnostics at the bottom, above the Tuner Adapter details.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:45 AM   #1049
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
You should try going to 5 tuners and reboot. Even though 6 tuners are working now, one will most likely fail. You can find your CC firmware in DVR diagnostics at the bottom, above the Tuner Adapter details.
"will likely fail"....why is that, do we know?

I'm going to leave all six enabled a while and see.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:56 AM   #1050
pshivers
Retired!

I suggest reading this entire thread, all your questions have been answered many times...
Tivo Roamio
Tivo Mini (x3)