TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 3.67 average.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:01 PM   #31
bunjicat

Here's the bad news from tivo. Guess we are sunk.

Thank you for contacting TiVo Customer Support. I would be glad to help you with this. We don't recommend or support using two outputs at the same time, so it is surprising that worked up to this point. At this time we could not recommend any steps to get that working again. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause
bunjicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:04 PM   #32
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjicat View Post

Thank you for contacting TiVo Customer Support. I would be glad to help you with this. We don't recommend or support using two outputs at the same time, so it is surprising that worked up to this point. At this time we could not recommend any steps to get that working again. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause
Mine works fine. When I had the Hava HD connected I had the HDMI output, component out, and the composite output all working. The only thing I needed to do was to split the audio output so I could go to the Hava HD and the DVD burner at the same time for audio. All three connections would work. Although to avoid any HDMI connections not permitted issues an active HDMI splitter is recommended.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:06 PM   #33
Time_Slip

Quote:

Simultaneous output worked for me the last 6 months (slingbox via component and tv via hdmi) but not now. If it worked before the update it can work again. Tivo acts like a startup company, not the top dog in the dvr world. They have an excuse for everything.

Last edited by Time_Slip : 04-23-2014 at 09:41 PM.
Time_Slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:15 AM   #34
jackief

Part of the reason I built out this section of our setup (new tv, mini, slingbox, and upcoming purchase of a connected device) was because I had confirmation from others that this setup would work. If TiVo is passing the buck and saying it was never supported, that give me a very disappointing view of them.

Since I don't want to not use the HDMI connection to my TV, the best solution I can think of is to get an additional mini and use that exclusively with the slingbox.
jackief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:12 AM   #35
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackief View Post
Since I don't want to not use the HDMI connection to my TV, the best solution I can think of is to get an additional mini and use that exclusively with the slingbox.
That's what I'm doing. My Mini was going unused for a long time, so bought a breakout cable and now use it exclusively to feed Slingbox, so it doesn't even connect to a TV anymore. It also means using Slingbox doesn't interfere with anyone else. Even now though, it doesn't get much use as I prefer to use TiVo Stream most of the time for OOH viewing, but it's good to have Slingbox as an option.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:59 PM   #36
djk1940

Quote:

I've been using all 3 outputs on my TiVos for years to different TVs. It worked fine until recently on the TiVo Mini; now at random times I lose the component TVs and have to reboot the Mini for it to start working again for a few days. If the Mini had a digital sound output, I'd switch to using only the component; this situation certainly isn't up to the TiVo standards that I had grown to enjoy. I think I have now waited long enough....it is going to be a Slingbox rather than a TiVo Sling since I'm also an Android fan.

TiVo: If HDMI and component now don't mix, then it should be easier for you to fix it, rather than retro-fit a digital sound output on the Mini!
djk1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:43 PM   #37
SrLANGuy

I have my TiVo Mini connected to my TV using HDMI. I bought the A/V Breakout Cable Kit just so I could also connect the TiVo Mini to my Slingbox using the component connections. Everything was working great!

Then, 20.4.1 got installed on my TiVo Mini.

After a few days, the component video goes out and the only way to get it working again is to restart the TiVo Mini.

TiVo.......Please, please, please fix this!!!
SrLANGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:59 PM   #38
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

I better hang on because what I'm about to suggest might stir up a few people, would I be out of place to suggest that the latest change could be a result of marketing rather than technical reasons?

I made presented a similar argument to my cable company support people when in January they implemented copy restrictions of premium content which prevented the copying of recordings on the retail Tivo last January, all in the same month my cable company introduced their Tivo solution which of course doesn't allow Tivo to go capabilities and video importing. How easier to make their product more comparitive than to cripple the competitors despite it being based on the same companies product? Of course it was all legit under the guise of "copyright legality" but until my cable company presented their crippled Tivo solution, they didn't care what existing retail Tivo owners did.

If we are to believe Tivo, they are preparing to introduce Android streaming capabilities in a couple months, how better to promote such by hindering a third party product like Slingbox by basicly requiring a separate Tivo box to attach you Slingbox rather than allowing it to piggyback on existing boxes already attached to TV? The Tivo Stream doesn't require separate Tivo to function, killing dual output on Tivo boxes levels the playing field in their favor.

Seems that a lot of technical changes come about due to marketing reasons rather than technical enhancements. Mind you I have a Stream, I'm considering a slingbox if Tivo doesn't deliver a Android solution soon but such is complicated if dual AV outputs are disabled as until up to now they haven't been as I'm prepared at this time to buy an extra Mini just to supply a connection to a Slingbox.

Pure speculation on my part but if what is said is true, I would like to see a response from Tivo on why this change has occurred to prove me wrong. I eventually was contacted by a rep with my cable company who while they wouldn't come out verbally and deny my claim, they basically confirmed that what I stated was true due as their gained knowledge of how Tivo functions worked once they had their own.
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:05 PM   #39
aaronwt
HD Addict

But it doesn't hinder third party streaming. The only issues I had was when my Mini was also connected to my XBOne. And then it had issues after each XBOne software update. Otherwise the component output to the Slingbox 350 was ok.

Now I have a Mini dedicated to my Slingbox 350. WIth the XBOne not in the equation there are zero issues. Of course I also am not using the HDMI output or any displays with it either which also eliminate any potential HDCP issues.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:58 AM   #40
djk1940

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post
I better hang on because what I'm about to suggest might stir up a few people, would I be out of place to suggest that the latest change could be a result of marketing rather than technical reasons?
I think you are exactly right and marketing is influencing a lot of technical decisions. A solution to my recent problem of supporting two nearby TVs with the same Mini would be to purchase a 2nd TiVo Mini, although I only purchased my first Mini because others reported all outputs worked.

I recently gave in to the lack of component connections on new products like the Roku3 and replaced the perfectly good sound system where the Mini was connected with one that had HDMI inputs. However, on The TV where my TiVo Premiere is attached, I was able to purchase perhaps the last ViewHD available in the US that converts HDMI to Component and digital sound....I attached it to the Roku3 so I could use all component connections to that TV's and sound system. This ViewHD product is sold out of California and available to other countries, but now not allowed to be sold in the US. If I end up with a Slingbox instead of a TiVo Sling, it should work perfectly well with my all Component TV connections....that is until TiVo or some other product stops supporting component connections and I have to purchase another sound system.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:13 PM   #41
bunjicat

Well They got me on that one. I just installed a new mini to my slingbox today. My existing slingbox was connected to my master bedroom tivo mini. Once the software update the slingbox no longer worked for video, just audio.
Got called out of the country and needed the Slingbox. So i disconnected the hdmi from the mini rebooted and used the sling for 2 weeks. Of course the wife was pissed. Enter the dedicated mini for the slingbox. Had I been motivated I could have used the component in and out on the slingbox and got rid of hdmi all together. Having a dedicated mini for the slingbox allowed greater flexibility.

Tivo stream is really a useless POS. I attempted to use it a few times remotely but the DRM made it impossible to stream anything I had recorded.
I dont have an ipad so until browser Tivo stream is implemented I am out.
bunjicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 07:25 PM   #42
djk1940

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackief View Post
Part of the reason I built out this section of our setup (new tv, mini, slingbox, and upcoming purchase of a connected device) was because I had confirmation from others that this setup would work. If TiVo is passing the buck and saying it was never supported, that give me a very disappointing view of them.

I got lucky and was able to solve the problem by finding another ViewHD Two Input HDMI to RGB Component Converter with a 5.1 digital output....this one used. Add that to a OREI HD-102 HDMI Splitter and as far as Tivo is concerned, I'm not using component outputs from the Mini. One HDMI output goes to the primary TV, the other to the converter then to component outputs that could go to a Slingbox, but in my case, a 2nd TV. Both the converter and splitter were purchased through Amazon for less than the price of a Tivo Mini.

The HDView converter has gotten good reviews, but is now not sold in the US, so I was lucky to find this used 2nd one. A converter that looks like and is described identically to the HDView is the HDfuryPro, but hasn't gotten as good reviews as the HDView; but the fury might be just as good if anyone else wants to try this approach....both my HDView models are now working perfectly for me. I also finally give up on the TiVo Sling and got a Slingbox that I'm also very happy with. If TiVo can't keep up, then it just doesn't seem wise to double one's investment in them.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:13 PM   #43
jackief

Well I couldn't convince the spouse on additional mini purchase so I went for component cable and also needed right angle connectors. Will hook up tv to slingbox output and see how that goes. Disconnecting the hdmi and reporting the mini was too much of a pain long term
Old 06-08-2014, 03:25 AM   #44
Alf Tanner

Mine works for outputting audio over RCA cables while the HDMI is connected to a TV using the AV cable from a creative zen vision M. The only difference is that you use red and yellow instead of red and white. The ouputs on the zen cable aren't exactly the same. It worked with video as well using the video output of the same cable.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:34 PM   #45
SrLANGuy

Here's how I have my TiVo Mini connected:
TiVo Mini --> HDMI --> Sony LCD TV
TiVo Mini --> Component Video --> Slingbox 350
I finally discovered what causes the Component Video output on my TiVo Mini to die.

If my TiVo Mini is outputting TV (Live or a Recorded Show) and I power on my TV, there is an HDMI handshake between the two and my Component Video output dies. The Component Video output stays this way until I restart my TiVo Mini.

But if my TiVo Mini is at any menu, like "TiVo Central" or "My Shows", powering on the TV does NOT cause the Component Video to die. I'm not sure why the HDMI handshake doesn't cause a problem under these circumstances, but at least I know when it will happen. So for now, I just make sure to hit the TiVo button on my remote prior to powering on my TV.

I really hope TiVo fixes this issue with a software update! (P-L-E-A-S-E)
Old 06-12-2014, 12:07 AM   #46
moedaman

HDMI handshake issues are weird, complex and often are a result of how all of the pieces of equipment interact with each other. Here is an example that I had.

I had a Cisco HD STB from WOW connected to an older Olevia tv via HDMI and to a Series 2 via S-Video. No problems at all. I moved that set-up to a new Insignia set in my bedroom and had all kinds of HDMI problems. I switched to Comcast and replaced the Cisco box with a Motorola HD STB and I have had no problems at all. So which piece of equipment was the problem?
moedaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 03:36 PM   #47
rorkin

For what it is worth, I solved a sling box issue with drm in directv by using a powered hdmi switch.. I do not use it as a switch but the point is that it keeps power to the hdmi cable when TV is off . Without it no video feed to sling box on premium channels even with composite input. If handshaking is the problem perhaps this will maintain a previously established handshake.
rorkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:40 PM   #48
aaronwt
HD Addict

The HDMI splitters can do the same thing.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:04 PM   #49
SrLANGuy

It appears that the Summer Update (20.4.2) fixes this issue!

With 20.4.1, if the TiVo was outputting Live TV when I powered on my Sony TV, the HDMI handshake would cause my component video to go out (which meant my Slingbox would lose video). To fix this, I would have to restart my TiVo Mini. But with 20.4.2, I cannot recreate the problem.

I'm a very happy TiVo customer today!
Old 07-08-2014, 09:27 AM   #50
jackief

that's great news SrLANGuy. Another contributing factor is probably that I bought new component cables to eliminate the hdmi output from my mini. I decided not to do the priority update this time, but will have to see if I get the same results
Old 07-15-2014, 04:23 PM   #51
Diana Collins

Second data point:

We are getting simultaneous HDMI and Component from a Mini with no issues on the Summer Update.

Looks like this is fixed.

Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006
Diana Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 04:32 PM   #52
tamnjudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrLANGuy View Post
It appears that the Summer Update (20.4.2) fixes this issue!

With 20.4.1, if the TiVo was outputting Live TV when I powered on my Sony TV, the HDMI handshake would cause my component video to go out (which meant my Slingbox would lose video). To fix this, I would have to restart my TiVo Mini. But with 20.4.2, I cannot recreate the problem.
Update not working for me. I have a Sling 350 attached to my mini via the component cables plus hdmi out (from the mini) to my monitor. Always get the no video error and pulling the hdmi is the only way to make it stop. I had hopes that the update made the correction but it did not. I've rebooted both machines and still no love.
tamnjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:41 PM   #53
JStew

Quote:
Well They got me on that one. I just installed a new mini to my slingbox today. My existing slingbox was connected to my master bedroom tivo mini. Once the software update the slingbox no longer worked for video, just audio.
Got called out of the country and needed the Slingbox. So i disconnected the hdmi from the mini rebooted and used the sling for 2 weeks. Of course the wife was pissed. Enter the dedicated mini for the slingbox. Had I been motivated I could have used the component in and out on the slingbox and got rid of hdmi all together. Having a dedicated mini for the slingbox allowed greater flexibility.

Tivo stream is really a useless POS. I attempted to use it a few times remotely but the DRM made it impossible to stream anything I had recorded.
I dont have an ipad so until browser Tivo stream is implemented I am out.
I'm doing the same thing. It really sucks that we have to purchase a mini and pay the additional monthly fees just because we use slingboxes. I'll pay it, but I sure won't like it.
JStew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:50 PM   #54
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStew View Post
I'm doing the same thing. It really sucks that we have to purchase a mini and pay the additional monthly fees just because we use slingboxes. I'll pay it, but I sure won't like it.
That's what lifetime service is for. No additional monthly fees.