Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-24-2014, 05:08 PM   #151
JoBeth66
Temp

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
You have failed to consider other possibilities.
That's true. It's possible that you just don't understand the term at all, and context doesn't help you. I didn't consider that possibility.

Or it could be that you're just being deliberately intractable. I didn't consider that, either.
JoBeth66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:08 PM   #152
Ereth

Quote:
Do you have a woman's brain?
Yes. I keep it in a jar by the living room door to frighten solicitors.

Actually, what I have access to is scientific studies comparing male and female brains, and psychological studies comparing male and female cognitive processing. Oh, and conversations with actual females.

What I have is a huge number of years trying to figure out, as a writer, how to understand women well enough to write them. I am not ashamed to say that this is a particularly difficult task, because I'm a man and men and women process data differently.

There was a rather surprising find, god, almost two decades ago now, by a researcher dissecting male and female brains in an effort to understand gay people, and the discovery of multiple communication channels came from that. She also discovered, surprisingly enough, that gay men have more communication channels than straight men, though not as many as women. This turned out to not be causal, but led to further research and the understanding of how men and women process data differently.

A woman's brain has many many communication threads going at once. It's why they multitask so well. They have lots of thought threads going on at once, often completely unrelated. They can't turn them off. They have difficulty understanding why we can.

Men have a single much larger channel between the two hemispheres. There's some tiny ancillary ones, but generally traffic goes down this one giant pipe. This makes it much easer for a man to cut everything out except the one thing he's concentrating on. Ever been so into something that people can be talking to you and you simply don't hear them? That's because the thread from the hearing portion of your brain can't get through, the channel is occupied. It's also why it's so easy to forget to stop and get milk on the way home when you are thinking really hard about whatever problem you are trying to solve. The little reminder thread goes off but the communication doesn't happen. That one channel is busy.

There's some thinking that this might help explain why men are generally better at math and spacial concepts, but that line of thinking is still in early days and we don't yet know for sure.

So, no, I don't have a woman's brain. But Jobeth does. And she agrees with me, so my effort to reconstruct through linear thinking arrived at the same place she arrived through parallel processing. I'm grateful for her corroboration of my line of thought. I have only book knowledge on the topic, not the empirical data that she has.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:10 PM   #153
JoBeth66
Temp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
So, no, I don't have a woman's brain. But Jobeth does. And she agrees with me, so my effort to reconstruct through linear thinking arrived at the same place she arrived through parallel processing. I'm grateful for her corroboration of my line of thought. I have only book knowledge on the topic, not the empirical data that she has.
You know I love you, right?
Old 04-24-2014, 05:11 PM   #154
smbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Did she even know there was a traitor before Melinda left, Skye saw Ward & Eric's radar blips in the Death Closet, and then found Eric dead there?

I don't think there was ever any room for reasonable doubt...unless I'm not remembering it right, she found out there was a traitor when she found out that Ward had killed Eric.
This is all your fault.

Please be less confused next time.
smbaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:16 PM   #155
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBeth66 View Post
She wouldn't know the answer to those questions, she didn't have the information.
Wrong again. She had the information, or could obtain it. That would be a more logical use of her time than sobbing in the bathroom.

You apparently have a limited capability at comprehending the use of weapons. Perhaps it is a limitation of the female brain. That could explain why Skye behaved so irrationally.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:17 PM   #156
Ereth

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbaker View Post
This is all your fault.

This is so funny. I can't stop laughing. Thank you so much!

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:18 PM   #157
john4200

Quote:
This is all your fault.

But then we would not have this entertaining debate.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:20 PM   #158
Dirk Legume

Hey, remember that show "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D? Boy, that's some show huh?

Dirk Legume is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:20 PM   #159
JoBeth66
Temp

Quote:
Wrong again. She had the information, or could obtain it. That would be a more logical use of her time than sobbing in the bathroom.
Yeah, you'll have to explain to me how the 60-90 seconds she spent sobbing in the bathroom could have been used differently to confirm where Melinda was and how to get to her easily and safely. Oh, and without tipping off Ward that she was looking for Melinda.

Quote:
You apparently have a limited capability at comprehending the use of weapons. Perhaps it is a limitation of the female brain.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:21 PM   #160
john4200

Quote:
Yeah, you'll have to explain to me how the 60-90 seconds she spent sobbing in the bathroom could have been used differently to confirm where Melinda was and how to get to her easily and safely.
No need to explain. The female brain should be able to instantly put together everything that has been discussed here (and happened on the show) and figure out the answer.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:23 PM   #161
john4200

Quote:
Another possibility is that it is just a limitation of your brain.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:25 PM   #162
Ereth

Quote:
You know I love you, right?
Right back atcha. I've missed you. It's been a long time since we've been on the same side of one of these. It's a pleasure to watch you work.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:25 PM   #163
FrodoB

Quote:
I was intending to spoil WarGames.
Of course. And there's a WarGames joke in Winter Soldier. Hence the wink.
FrodoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:26 PM   #164
smbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoB View Post
And there's a WarGames joke in Winter Soldier. Hence the wink.
Ah, I have not seen it yet!

(what can I say, I'm easily confused... )

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBeth66
Yeah, you'll have to explain to me how the 60-90 seconds she spent sobbing in the bathroom could have been used differently to confirm where Melinda was and how to get to her easily and safely.
My observations as a man:

1) Women always go to the restroom together.

2) Skye went to the restroom.

3) There is only one other woman in the vicinity of the SHIELD base, Melinda May.

4) ergo, Skye was waiting for May to arrive in the restroom.

Perfectly logical course of action.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:28 PM   #165
JoBeth66
Temp

Quote:
No need to explain. The female brain should be able to instantly put together everything that has been discussed here (and happened on the show) and figure out the answer.
I've just considered a new possibility, one that makes complete and total sense.

THIS is how you admit you were wrong. You're unable to actually say "you know, you have a valid point" to someone else, so you give them props by using one of their points in what amounts to a non-sequitur.

Got it.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:29 PM   #166
JoBeth66
Temp

Quote:
Another possibility is that it is just a limitation of your brain.
Or yours.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:29 PM   #167
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Since S.H.I.E.L.D is a terrorist organization now, and the Government is going to need some sort of intelligence/security agency, do you think we'll get H.A.M.M.E.R. next?
Perhaps we'll go from "Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement, and Logistics Division" to "Strategic Hazard Intervention Espionage Logistics Directorate".

Or to "Supreme Headquarters, International Espionage, Law-Enforcement Division".

Although I suppose we could go to "United Network Command for Law and Enforcement".

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:29 PM   #168
JoBeth66
Temp

Quote:
Right back atcha. I've missed you. It's been a long time since we've been on the same side of one of these. It's a pleasure to watch you work.
Ditto.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:32 PM   #169
smbaker

I'm honestly curious about who will get the last word in this argument.

My money is not on Ereth or JoBeth66.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:35 PM   #170
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
Only 5 more days until a new episode...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Come join us October 5-12, 2014!
martinp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:36 PM   #171
smbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinp13 View Post
Only 5 more days until a new episode...
That's not sufficient to stop it.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:38 PM   #172
Ereth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
Perhaps we'll go from "Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement, and Logistics Division" to "Strategic Hazard Intervention Espionage Logistics Directorate".

Or to "Supreme Headquarters, International Espionage, Law-Enforcement Division".

Although I suppose we could go to "United Network Command for Law and Enforcement".
I suppose as long as we don't end up with CONTROL we'll be fine.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:57 PM   #173
john4200

Quote:
You're unable to actually say "you know, you have a valid point" to someone else, so you give them props by using one of their points in what amounts to a non-sequitur.
Sure, you have a valid point. It should not be surprising that Skye is capable of making quick and correct logical deductions under extremely stressful circumstances, and she would never turn into an emotional quivering mass of jelly. Another valid point you made is that when she turned into a quivering mass of jelly that she was too logical to turn into, it was actually logical for her to do so, since there was nothing else she could have done to protect herself. Yet another valid point you made is that Skye could never have used the base's tracking and surveillance systems, as well as the NSA satellites, to figure out where Melinda went. That is clearly outside of Skye's capabilities, which seem to consist of making snap logical deductions and turning into a quivering mass of jelly. If only Skye could find something that could be used as a weapon to trap Ward. But you made a valid point that Skye is too inept to ever trap Ward. Skye's past experience helping to capture all sorts of powerful bad guys would never work against Ward, since Skye is just a quivering mass of jelly compared to Ward's awesomeness. Valid point. Props!
Old 04-24-2014, 06:04 PM   #174
JoBeth66
Temp

Quote:
Sure, you have a valid point. It should not be surprising that Skye is capable of making quick and correct logical deductions under extremely stressful circumstances, and she would never turn into an emotional quivering mass of jelly. Another valid point you made is that when she turned into a quivering mass of jelly that she was too logical to turn into, it was actually logical for her to do so, since there was nothing else she could have done to protect herself. Yet another valid point you made is that Skye could never have used the base's tracking and surveillance systems, as well as the NSA satellites, to figure out where Melinda went. That is clearly outside of Skye's capabilities, which seem to consist of making snap logical deductions and turning into a quivering mass of jelly. If only Skye could find something that could be used as a weapon to trap Ward. But you made a valid point that Skye is too inept to ever trap Ward. Skye's past experience helping to capture all sorts of powerful bad guys would never work against Ward, since Skye is just a quivering mass of jelly compared to Ward's awesomeness. Valid point. Props!
Runnin' out of straw, yet?
Old 04-24-2014, 06:06 PM   #175
Ereth

You know, this might be the finest piece of performance art since the great JM J Bullock thread.

Old 04-24-2014, 06:12 PM   #176
john4200

Quote:
Runnin' out of straw, yet?
Straw man's runnin' out to the Wizard to get a brain (female, preferably).
Old 04-24-2014, 06:30 PM   #177
JoBeth66
Temp

Quote:
You know, this might be the finest piece of performance art since the great JM J Bullock thread.
That was an awesome thread.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:39 PM   #178
eddyj

Quote:
That was an awesome thread.
Unlike this one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
eddyj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:42 PM   #179
smbaker

Quote:
link?
Old 04-24-2014, 06:48 PM   #180
Ereth

Quote:
link?
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=120936

Whatever happened to RHuntingtons "Guide to Good Thread" anyway? Do we just not have those kinds of threads any more?