TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-24-2014, 12:15 PM   #1
ahwman

Roamio Pro sometimes freezing when playing recording

I've noticed a few times now where I'm recording a baseball game and start playing the recording (while it's still recording) that for no reason the audio/video will freeze indefinitely almost as though I've hit the pause button. It never crashes or locks up, but just freezes the picture/audio. If I hit the replay button, it continues playing again as if nothing happened. I've ruled out hardware because this was happening with my other Roamio Pro which I recently got replaced because of a different issue.

Has anyone else noticed this?
ahwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:19 PM   #2
rgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahwman View Post
I've noticed a few times now where I'm recording a baseball game and start playing the recording (while it's still recording) that for no reason the audio/video will freeze indefinitely almost as though I've hit the pause button. It never crashes or locks up, but just freezes the picture/audio. If I hit the replay button, it continues playing again as if nothing happened. I've ruled out hardware because this was happening with my other Roamio Pro which I recently got replaced because of a different issue.

Has anyone else noticed this?
I've had this happen a couple of times. Seems to be no rhyme or reason.
rgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:20 AM   #3
tivoknucklehead

yes, happens to me way too much. I have to hit the 8 second back button to unfreeze it and then it is fine. just started happening a few weeks ago
tivoknucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:31 PM   #4
NJ Webel

Noticed this for the first time this weekend, when playing back something pre-recorded.
NJ Webel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 01:19 AM   #5
keenanSR

I've had this happen as well, several times over the last week or so.
keenanSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 04:09 AM   #6
moonscape

Same here - just started in the last week or so.
moonscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:51 PM   #7
showpony

+1 for me too. I wonder if the 20.4.2 update will have a fix for this?? This glitch is enough to make me want to send the Roamio Pro back to TiVo!!
showpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:34 PM   #8
Bighouse
200 Club Member

This is happening to me all the time. I counted at least six stutters in playing back an episode of Supernatural tonight.

Anyone hear any comment from Tivo about the cause?
Old 10-22-2014, 11:16 PM   #9
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighouse View Post
This is happening to me all the time. I counted at least six stutters in playing back an episode of Supernatural tonight.

Anyone hear any comment from Tivo about the cause?
Huh, here I thought I was the only one getting this with Supernatural (and anything else on the CW). No ideas, as it tends to just go away, and come back, with no indications that make me feel sure of the cause, or if the cause only trips-up TiVos.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:28 PM   #10
Bighouse
200 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
Huh, here I thought I was the only one getting this with Supernatural (and anything else on the CW). No ideas, as it tends to just go away, and come back, with no indications that make me feel sure of the cause, or if the cause only trips-up TiVos.
Oh, you may have hit on something. Perhaps it's something caused by the signal strength from the CW channel? But, I have seen it on other high-def channels recordings.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:45 PM   #11
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighouse View Post
Oh, you may have hit on something. Perhaps it's something caused by the signal strength from the CW channel? But, I have seen it on other high-def channels recordings.
To me, it seems more like something getting screwed up with the timing of things, when the localized commercials are inserted into the streams. I'm often stuck watching postage-stamped HD, as the programming and commercials seem to have a hard time knowing when it's programming, and when it is commercials. The audio is also affected, and trickplay sometimes unusable, much like the FOX and affiliates fiasco, that had TiVo flying techs to extract streams from Roamios around the whole country...

I can't find any indication it is signal strength or SNR related. It seems that the broadcast is coming to me pre-corrupted, and the Roamios aren't coping well.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:45 AM   #12
ej42137

This sounds like the problem I used to see where some channels, for example FX, would mix their broadcast signal. For example, the main show would be in 720p but some commercials would be inserted at 480i. When TiVo played it back the playback would hang for some indeterminate length of time. Somebody on TCF provided the work-around, which is to set your TiVo to only transmit 720p or 1080i to the TV; after I did that the problem went away. By that I mean that recordings that previously would hang at multiple points when played would now play through with no problem.

The only reason I'm doubtful this is your problem is that this has been happening for forever, and you've just noticed the problem. But you might try changing your settings Video Output Format to only output 720p or 1080i (or even 1080p if that works for you) just in case that solves your problem.
ej42137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 04:25 PM   #13
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej42137 View Post
This sounds like the problem I used to see where some channels, for example FX, would mix their broadcast signal. For example, the main show would be in 720p but some commercials would be inserted at 480i. When TiVo played it back the playback would hang for some indeterminate length of time. Somebody on TCF provided the work-around, which is to set your TiVo to only transmit 720p or 1080i to the TV; after I did that the problem went away. By that I mean that recordings that previously would hang at multiple points when played would now play through with no problem.

The only reason I'm doubtful this is your problem is that this has been happening for forever, and you've just noticed the problem. But you might try changing your settings Video Output Format to only output 720p or 1080i (or even 1080p if that works for you) just in case that solves your problem.
I've only had 1080p set all this time, anyway. On TiVos before the Roamio, I used a fixed 1080i.

Yes, obviously the commercials are SD, while the programming is 720p HD. What happens is the allegedly HD program, will be "postage-stamped" sometimes until the next commercial break ends, or it takes 30 seconds, to 5 minutes, for the screen to be filled by the program. It makes trickplay useless, sometimes, and it's faster to just watch the whole thing, commercials and all, than try to keep using trickplay to fix trickplay issues, often only present if you use trickplay.