TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-23-2014, 09:16 PM   #1
Johncv

HBO Is Coming to Amazon Prime

The war between Netflix and Amazon intensifies: (Netflix lost round one)

http://time.com/73525/hbo-is-coming-...ve-hbo-or-not/

"Prime members; this isn’t HBO signing up to let Amazon charge you to watch these shows. Amazon says Prime members will have “unlimited streaming access” to shows that include:

All seasons of The Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood, Rome and Six Feet Under, as well as Eastbound & Down, Enlightened and Flight of the Conchords

Miniseries, including Angels in America, Band of Brothers, John Adams, The Pacific and Parade’s End

Select seasons of current series such as Boardwalk Empire, Treme and True Blood

Original movies like Game Change, Too Big To Fail and You Don’t Know Jack

Documentaries including the Autopsy and Iceman series, Ghosts of Abu Ghraib and When the Levees Broke

Original comedy specials from Lewis Black, Ellen DeGeneres, Louis CK and Bill Maher

Amazon says earlier seasons of HBO shows like Girls, The Newsroom and Veep will roll out “over the course of the multi-year agreement, approximately three years after airing on HBO.”

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:35 AM   #2
dlfl
Cranky old novice

In what way did Netflix "lose round one" ?

Yep the battle is on and a key feature of both contender's strategies is to raise the cost to the consumer somewhere between $1 and $2 per month. Hope it's worth it and hope it isn't the beginning of a growing trend.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 03:03 AM   #3
tenthplanet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
In what way did Netflix "lose round one" ?

Yep the battle is on and a key feature of both contender's strategies is to raise the cost to the consumer somewhere between $1 and $2 per month. Hope it's worth it and hope it isn't the beginning of a growing trend.
Prime already went up and it's inevitable that Netflix will raise prices, I'm surprised that haven't already. It's not strategy it's simple economics, costs go up, consider the energy bill of anyone running any amount of servers for starters.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:07 AM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

Anything that get's HBo content away from cable companies is fine by me. This is the first step in a good direction for consumers. Considering that I pay for about 200 channels and only watch about a dozen of them I'm all for more alacarte options.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:03 AM   #5
mr.unnatural

I think most people would prefer an a la carte selection. The reality is that the individual dozen or so channels would probably end up costing you more than an overall package containing the 200 channels you already receive. Providers make money by including shopping and religious chanels and get special rates by bundling lots of other channels in with the mix. That savings is passed onto the customer with the bundled packages.

I'd rather pay for a bundled package that includes all of the channels I watch because I know that it will cost me less. It makes no sense to me to pay for a single channel at an inflated rate when there may be only one or two shows that I watch over the entire year on that channel. For example, I generally only watch the History Channel when they air Vikings, which typically runs 9-10 episodes per season. I'd rather not have to deal with adding and dropping channels with every start and stop of a season for a given show.

FWIW, I dropped HBO years ago because it's the most expensive single premium channel package offered. I only watched a handful of the shows they provided and never watched any of the movies (that's what I had NetFlix for), except one of their own productions on occasion.

What's funny is that you'll be able to stream HBO programs from Amazon that have been available on DVD and Blu-Ray from NetFlix for quite some time.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:01 AM   #6
JosephB

Yeah, it's counter-intuitive, but a la carte would result in you paying probably the same for those dozen channels.

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
JosephB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:29 AM   #7
jcthorne

Now if only Amazon Prime can come to Tivo.....

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:57 AM   #8
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Prime already went up and it's inevitable that Netflix will raise prices, I'm surprised that haven't already.
They have announced a $1 to $2 per month price increase. That's what I was referring to.
Quote:
It's not strategy it's simple economics, costs go up, consider the energy bill of anyone running any amount of servers for starters.
I think additional programming is the primary reason for the price increases, not server costs. My only hope is it will be a good value (to me of course). I would be happy to pay a lot more for Netflix and/or Amazon Prime **if** the additional programming would allow me to cut the cable cord.

BTW, what do you mean "costs go up"? The government says there is no inflation! Well actually they say it is around 1.5% per year. So that would justify Netflix increasing their price by only about 12 cents per month.

and
Old 04-24-2014, 11:53 AM   #9
JosephB

Energy prices might be going up, but datacenter efficiency is also going up. I doubt that electricity is driving a $1-2 price increase at Netflix (especially since they use AWS instead of running their own datacenters and AWS pricing has gone down, not up)

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
Old 04-24-2014, 11:58 AM   #10
gweempose

Quote:

Prime already went up and it's inevitable that Netflix will raise prices, I'm surprised that haven't already.
They just announced on Monday that prices will soon be going up for new subscribers:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5187461.html
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:52 PM   #11
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

I'm gonna cancel NetFlix. I can't keep up as is, and the only thing keeping me on NetFlix is House of Cards.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:27 PM   #12
jmpage2

I don't see the point of "HBO is coming to Amazon Prime" when TiVo users have been given the cold shoulder by Amazon for years now.... this announcement does us no good unless we have secondary devices in all of our viewing areas.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:34 PM   #13
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
I don't see the point of "HBO is coming to Amazon Prime" when TiVo users have been given the cold shoulder by Amazon for years now.... this announcement does us no good unless we have secondary devices in all of our viewing areas.
My guess is a majority of readers of this thread already have secondary devices, because Tivo has been such a poor platform for Netflix, YouTube and Amazon Video. This **may** be changing with the Roamio models.

and
Old 04-24-2014, 05:02 PM   #14
telemark

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
I think most people would prefer an a la carte selection. The reality is that the individual dozen or so channels would probably end up costing you more than an overall package containing the 200 channels you already receive. Providers make money by including shopping and religious chanels and get special rates by bundling lots of other channels in with the mix. That savings is passed onto the customer with the bundled packages.
You hear the argument in the debate a lot, but here my attempt to see if that's accurate. Some Canadian carriers offer A La Carte. Pulling up one at random, they charge $2.80 for one channel. I remember other carriers offering discounts in blocks.

For me, I'd save a lot of money, like half to quarter my TV cable bill, because I prefer few (higher quality to me, rare to others) stations that normally get only put into higher price packages.

I can concede those who like many channels on the value cable packages are probably getting a good deal.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:11 PM   #15
zalusky

Your goal is to spend less money and the cable's goal is you spend more money.
No matter how they restructure the packages they are not going to come up with something where you give them less money unless the competition forces them to.

Which is what is happening between ATT and Sprint right now.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:14 PM   #16
JosephB

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
Your goal is to spend less money and the cable's goal is you spend more money.
No matter how they restructure the packages they are not going to come up with something where you give them less money unless the competition forces them to.

Which is what is happening between ATT and Sprint right now.
Exactly. I don't know why everyone assumes that "over the top" or "IP video" is going to magically make things less expensive.

The content companies and cable companies are both in a position to prevent any disruption from ever happening, ever. They control the production of content, and they control the delivery of it. In many cases the same company owns both ends. So, if you decide you're going to watch crummy YouTube content instead of high quality NBC content, Comcast will just make sure that YouTube has to pay to get access to you, meaning YouTube will load it up with ads or charge you a subscription fee, and oh gee, you're right back where you started only the content now sucks.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:10 PM   #17
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephB View Post
Yeah, it's counter-intuitive, but a la carte would result in you paying probably the same for those dozen channels.
I would gladly pay the same for the actual channels I want.. Turn off the religion & shopping channnels (which pay the cable companies), AND turn off the ones I don't actually watch.

I actually don't have a huge problem with bundles in general, if they were alongside a la carte. Some people can be dumb and buy individual cans of soda, I'll buy cases... (Though I realize in this example, I want to buy individuals..)
mattack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:28 PM   #18
JosephB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I would gladly pay the same for the actual channels I want.. Turn off the religion & shopping channnels (which pay the cable companies), AND turn off the ones I don't actually watch.

I actually don't have a huge problem with bundles in general, if they were alongside a la carte. Some people can be dumb and buy individual cans of soda, I'll buy cases... (Though I realize in this example, I want to buy individuals..)
That makes no sense. Why would you pay the same for less? In what universe would that be a good deal for anyone? You are free to not watch something if you don't like it.

And like you mentioned, shopping and religious channels pay for carriage, so they will always exist.

Old 04-25-2014, 05:47 PM   #19
Bigg

Quote:
Prime already went up and it's inevitable that Netflix will raise prices, I'm surprised that haven't already. It's not strategy it's simple economics, costs go up, consider the energy bill of anyone running any amount of servers for starters.
But Prime is a totally different business model than Netflix. Prime is a shipping service for physical goods that happens to include streaming video. Netflix is a streaming video service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Anything that get's HBo content away from cable companies is fine by me. This is the first step in a good direction for consumers. Considering that I pay for about 200 channels and only watch about a dozen of them I'm all for more alacarte options.
This is an interesting angle. They are taking baby steps away from cable and towards monetizing their own content through their own mediums...
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:23 PM   #20
mattack

Quote:
That makes no sense. Why would you pay the same for less?
I am not paying for less "I care about". So I am paying for exactly what I actually want/watch.

It makes things a meritocracy.

So I would be theoretically paying for _exactly_ the same as what I actually "get" (watch) now.
mattack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 12:34 AM   #21
zalusky

Quote:
I am not paying for less "I care about". So I am paying for exactly what I actually want/watch.

So I would be theoretically paying for _exactly_ the same as what I actually "get" (watch) now.
Yep just hide the channels you don't watch and your there. The bottom line is they care what you watch they just don't want you to pay less.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:30 AM   #22
JosephB

Quote:

That would be a worse world. A "meritocracy" is not automatically a good thing.

You are getting *exactly* what you want for the same price now, basically you're advocating for "screw what other people watch"

Old 04-26-2014, 08:14 AM   #23
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
Yep just hide the channels you don't watch and your there. The bottom line is they care what you watch they just don't want you to pay less.
This.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:39 PM   #24
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
+1 I've been saying this for years. 200 channels of crap and only 5 that have something that I want to watch. The math never added up for me.
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 08:03 PM   #25
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus View Post
+1 I've been saying this for years. 200 channels of crap and only 5 that have something that I want to watch. The math never added up for me.
The math is quite simple. If a huge number of channels gets paid for by thousands of subscribers, the average cost per channel goes way down for each user. Many channels, such as the shopping and religious networks, are included for free to the provider and, in some cases, may actually pay the provider to air them. The channel sees a return in online sales and donations which offsets their cost and the end user gets a further discount on their overall channel package. Without these channels included in the package your cost would be much higher than it is now.

If you subscribed to just a handful of channels, there would no longer be a bulk discount and the cost for those few channels would exceed what you're paying for the large bundle you currently receive.

Just because the channels show up in your guide doesn't mean you have to watch them. I believe you can set up favorite channels lineups so that only the channels you prefer show up in the guide. I know this is the case for WMC and I believe I used to be able to do it on my Tivos as well.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:09 AM   #26
rainwater

I think this thread title is misleading.

It should say "Old HBO Content Coming to Amazon Prime". If you want current HBO content, you will still have to subscribe to HBO through your cable company and use HBO Go.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 03:23 PM   #27
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
The math is quite simple. If a huge number of channels gets paid for by thousands of subscribers, the average cost per channel goes way down for each user. Many channels, such as the shopping and religious networks, are included for free to the provider and, in some cases, may actually pay the provider to air them. The channel sees a return in online sales and donations which offsets their cost and the end user gets a further discount on their overall channel package. Without these channels included in the package your cost would be much higher than it is now.

If you subscribed to just a handful of channels, there would no longer be a bulk discount and the cost for those few channels would exceed what you're paying for the large bundle you currently receive.

Just because the channels show up in your guide doesn't mean you have to watch them. I believe you can set up favorite channels lineups so that only the channels you prefer show up in the guide. I know this is the case for WMC and I believe I used to be able to do it on my Tivos as well.
The problem is that model doesn't allow for the hundreds of channels of garbage to die their death, instead locking them up in bundles. We need some serious channel pruning.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 03:28 PM   #28
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAndrews View Post
I'm gonna cancel NetFlix. I can't keep up as is, and the only thing keeping me on NetFlix is House of Cards.
It looks like Netflix is good guys. Cancelling is easy. There's a link right on the account page.

"We'll keep your account data for one year. Come back at anytime."

As it is I can't even get through my recorded shows, much less Amazon Prime. Content overload.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 03:58 PM   #29
JosephB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
The problem is that model doesn't allow for the hundreds of channels of garbage to die their death, instead locking them up in bundles. We need some serious channel pruning.
Why? Your price isn't going to go down, so why do those channels need to die? Someone watches them, just because it isn't you doesn't mean they should go away. Someone else could probably say the same thing about programming you like to watch.

Old 04-27-2014, 04:40 PM   #30
zalusky

Quote:
Why? Your price isn't going to go down, so why do those channels need to die? Someone watches them, just because it isn't you doesn't mean they should go away. Someone else could probably say the same thing about programming you like to watch.
The one thing I would say on the other side is if we had less channels there would be room for better resolution. It will be interesting to see how the business model plays if we went totally OnDemand would the increased bandwidth by freeing up all the linear channels be more than enough to go onDemand. Now of course the traditional networks might suffer from the lack of watercooler moment as would this forum if everything essentially became Netflix. They would not know how to sell advertising in that space.