TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
View Poll Results: MOCA and POE Filter
Yes there is a POE filter installed 53 64.63%
No there is not a POE filter installed 29 35.37%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 04-21-2014, 08:10 PM   #61
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
Cox is using the frequency spectrum all the way up to 950MHz for the H.264/MPEG-4 channels.
I'm showing 951Mhz for mine, plus the width, so I'd say up to ~960MHz, just to be safe.

I doubt Cox would include the MoCA filter, if they didn't feel it was necessary. They used to guard those things, as "for whole home Cox DVR users only", when I spotted one on a Cox truck. That was before the TA rollout, though.

The Cox TA install instructions in the self-install kits are assuming you have MoCA. Since I'm all Cat5e to my TiVos, no need for MoCA. I still have less problems using the splitter, than using the amplified pass-through method on the Cisco TAs. YMMV, of course. I'd prefer not using any more splitters than necessary.

I'm a bit confused on the one post starting off talking about Cat5e, then shifting right to asking where the MoCA filter goes...
Old 04-21-2014, 09:47 PM   #62
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevans14 View Post
I would like to install the POE filter at the outside cable point of entry but the trouble is I cannot figure out how to open the cable box (made by Comcast). Is there some sort of trick to opening this thing? Very hard plastic cover that no matter how hard I try to press on each side it refuses to open. Or is calling Comcast the only way to get it open? Thanks.
Are you in an apartment, or multi-family (multiple cable bill) dwelling of any sort?

If so, it was probably (for a good reason) designed that way, and you should stay out.

If not, I'd want to see a picture of it, before advising.

But, since it says Comcast right on the box, it still may be there to keep you out (look for another box, to be sure you are looking in the right place). The phone call seems to be a good idea. I'd advise making sure that any "truck roll" doesn't involve a fee (specifically state you refuse to be charged). If they do want to charge, ask how to open it (and state your reason for opening it).

Post what you find out, if you don't get what you want/need.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:49 PM   #63
mm2margaret
Meagan

POE can interfere with Cable Modem (Internet)?

So, if I install a POE filter between Comcast and my very first splitter, as the Cable Modem is downstream from the POE filter, can the POE filter interfere with it?

Last edited by mm2margaret : 04-23-2014 at 08:49 PM. Reason: punctuation
mm2margaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:28 PM   #64
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm2margaret View Post
So, if I install a POE filter between Comcast and my very first splitter, as the Cable Modem is downstream from the POE filter, can the POE filter interfere with it?
Only if you have a cable modem that has MoCA capabilities, and you are using (or intend to use) said unknown capabilities as part of your MoCA network.

Older cable modems without a built-in PoE filter can benefit by having MoCA signals blocked.

Newer cable modems tend to have a filter built-in, due to the potential issues.

A small number newer cable modems have MoCA capabilities, and would need to not be blocked, if their MoCA is going to be used.

Some will put a PoE filter on the coax-in of the cable modem, if it is one without MoCA, without a built-in filter, or the internal filter fails to work, which can cause unreliable operation (or non-operation).

What cable modem do you have?
Old 04-23-2014, 11:46 PM   #65
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I installed one mainly as a security precaution. The cheaper Actiontech MOCA adapters don't support encryption and I didn't want a savvy neighbor kid hacking my network because of a problem I could fix with a $4 filter. It's not quite as risky as running an open Wifi network, but if you're security conscience at all then why not pick one up?
Wait what? I've used those Actiontec adapters and they do support encryption. That's kinda a MoCA standard.
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:04 AM   #66
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhites View Post
Wait what? I've used those Actiontec adapters and they do support encryption. That's kinda a MoCA standard.
The cheaper ones don't have a way to put the adapter in configuration mode as they lack the switch to do so, so it's not possible to change the encryption key on them. So while they do support encryption, it's not particularly secure since the encryption key is known.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote