TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:46 PM   #31
jmpage2

There is a big difference between saying;

"TiVo supports being connected to hubs and switches but does not provide technical support for network troubleshooting of TiVo hardware"

and..

Quote:
Originally Posted by confused CSR
we do not support having the TiVo devices connected to a switch or a hub of any sort

jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:51 PM   #32
krfreers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivosupport_kristina View Post
Hello TiVo Customers,

I am very glad to hear that some of you were able to get things up and going. However, we do not support having the TiVo devices connected to a switch or a hub of any sort. It does not necessarily that it won't work, it just means that we cannot guarantee or help to make it work. We do apologize for the inconvenience and thank you to all of those who share their knowledge with how to get around things like this!

Thank you,
Kristina

Kristina,

I've been the loudest TIVO supporter ever since we got our first standard def. TIVO back in 2007. Since then, I have purchased 5 more TIVO boxes: 2 TIVO HDS, 2 Premieres and last week a TIVO Roamio Plus. One of the TIVO HD's kept locking up every other day and since it wasn't able to utilize MRV, especially streaming, I decided to purchase my sixth TIVO box in seven years. I am a huge fan and recommend TIVO to everyone I meet. My in-laws even listened to me and the have a TIVO HD and a Premiere now.

All that being said, it pains me to even bring up something like this. I just spent $400 for a Roamio Plus with the idea of being able to stream the 150 hours of HD from the Roamio in my 2nd floor office to my two Premiers that I have in my first floor living room and basement exercise room. My home network uses CAT6 everywhere and I have a Cisco WI-fi router right next to my cable modem in the basement. It has the four standard gigabit ports. When I created the home office on the 2nd floor, I ran a single COAX cable as well as a single CAT6 Ethernet cable with the intention of having my TIVO, my personal Mac and my work laptop all hard-wired to my home network in the office. Of course, with only running one CAT6 cable from the basement to the upstairs, it required me to have a LAN network switch to allow three devices to be hard-wired to my home network. I have the same situation in my first floor living room and my basement exercise room where I have more than one piece of equipment that I want hard-wired and the only way that I can do this is to use switches.

For home use, most wi-fi routers only have four gigabit ports. So in essence, TIVO is saying that if you have three TIVO's that you want to utilize MRV on, then that will leave you with only one port for everything else in our whole house. That seems a bit arrogant and small thinking to just say that "we do not support having the TiVo devices connected to a switch or a hub of any sort." I bet the TIVO sales department cringes when they here answers like that! I have two Apple TV's in my house and a Roku using Switches and they stream HD video without any issues. I don't think the majority of homes in the U.S. have more than one LAN cable per room so if you want a Computer and a TIVO in the same room, then the consumer that just spend $400 on a TIVO, must decide on what device gets to be hard-wired to the home network: my TIVO or my Mac.

The other thing that really bothers me is that I'm able to stream from both of my Premieres to the Roamio Plus but not from the Roamio Plus to the Premieres. Why would that be? If it can receive the data via switches, then why can't is send it. Both of my premieres work fine with MRV using switches. I think TIVO owes it's loyal customers a better explanation than what Kristina provided.

We are a pretty tech-savvy crowd and there has to be a technical reason why things changed with Roamios vs Premieres. Is it the Mobile local streaming capability? That should only deal with Wi-fi, not wired LAN. Maybe there could be a virtual town hall or conference call with the TIVO engineers that can explain to us what's happening. I don't want to return the Roamio and get a Premiere but if that's the only way I can utilize MRV on my network, then I might need to do that.

Come on TIVO, step up and at least admit that something got missed with the Roamio MVR and home networks. Hopefully, it can be fixed with a software patch of some kind.

Sorry for the Rant!
krfreers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:25 PM   #33
wpatters1229
web Guy

I am having a similar problem with my new Roamio Basic. I also work with networking and software engineering and build web sites.
I had two tivos. A series 2 and Series 3. Both on a wifi network along with 3 PCs and all worked just fine....netflicks and even a Wii getting netflicks streaming...all off of a AP that is hard wired to my router then to my Comcast modem. Almost forgot I also was able to download recordings to my PC from either TiVo for saving and was able to view my photos and music from the same PC.
Now we bought a Roamio for the 4 tuner feature. Took awhile for the Tivo.com system to see the box and for the whole network to settle in. I was finally able to copy season passes to the Roamio and visa versa....did that just to see how it all worked. Now if I go to the Shows menu and scroll down I can see both of the other Tivos, the S2 and S3. They can see each other all via the wifi. BUT I have not been able to see the Roamio from either S2 or S3 Tivo. Have dealt with support many times and today they wanted me to power all the network devices off and the Tivos...all three. Power up the network first and then without letting the Tivos connect to the network power them up. Apparently they do not want any of the port testing to go on and they want it clear. Then they want to connect each TiVo to the network. They want all this done while I am on the phone!!! Probable take an hour. I have basically done the same thing but they did not care to hear that. I can see all three devices on my router and all of the network parameters are correct with same broadcast ips, gateway, dns etc.. The ONLY thing that is different is the S2 and the S3 are using channel 4 in wifi and the Roamio is using channel 0. There is no where in the standard setup a way to change that. It should not matter since you can have multiple devices and each one using a different channel but with the Tivos it might be something....can not find an answer to that. EVERYTHING else about all three Tivos work just fine.....I just want to be able to pull things off the Roamio into one of the other Tivos...primarily the S3. Almost forgot that the Tivo Desktop software also fails to download recordings off the Roamio to the PC. I can see them and the download starts but it always fails. BUT I CAN download from either the S3 or the S2 to my PC just fine.
My conclusion is that something in the Roamio is wrong....it is either using a language that the other software is not able to understand or something is broken since the Roamio can see the other Tivos and at Tivo.com there can be an exchange of information using the season pass manager but the home network piece is a mess.

I am going to hold the phone in one hand and have them walk through the steps that they require. Basically they will not do anything more for me until I do that....would not even send me the steps in and email...ugh another hour in the day.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:00 AM   #34
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpatters1229 View Post
I can see all three devices on my router and all of the network parameters are correct with same broadcast ips, gateway, dns etc.. The ONLY thing that is different is the S2 and the S3 are using channel 4 in wifi and the Roamio is using channel 0. There is no where in the standard setup a way to change that.
My suspicion is that your router has issues transferring packets between the two different bands of your router (it sounds like you have a dual band router, with the Roamio connecting in one band and the others in the other band.) Is there some way you can temporarily turn off one band in your router and see if it works then?

Have you tried changing TiVo Desktop to TiVo Beacon instead of Bonjour? TiVo Desktop has two different ways of publishing its location: Bonjour (mDNS) or TiVo Beacon. Bonjour packets are the ones that often get blocked or not forwarded across network segments by faulty routers/switches.

Within TiVo Desktop, check Server/TiVo Server Properties/Network. TiVo Beacon is the brute force method (the PC sends out broadcast packets announcing the presence of TiVo Desktop), and should always work if your network is setup reasonably (both the PC and the Roamio have to be on the same LAN).
Old 04-23-2014, 08:10 AM   #35
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
.............. The ONLY thing that is different is the S2 and the S3 are using channel 4 in wifi and the Roamio is using channel 0. ...........

What is WiFi channel zero?
If you are using 2.4Ghz, the channels run from 1 to 11 in the US. You should be using channels 1, 6, or 11 since those are the only channels that do not overlap.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:42 AM   #36
aaronwt
HD Addict

I switched my Roamio Pro and two Minis over to MoCA to see what effect that had. That did increase the transfer rates some to/from TiVo Desktop, but it is still nowhere near what it used to be.

My Roamio Pro is bridging the Ethernet and MoCA so I still have a GigE connection to my TiVo desktop. But when viewing two live channels with my Minis the transfer rate to TiVo Desktop drops to 50mb/s. Without the Minis it's a little over 100mbps. But I previously got 150mbps+ transfer rates to/from TiVo Desktop. From a user perspective I can see no difference in usage but the transfers are much slower than they used to be. I think I'll keep it on MoCA for a while to see how it does.

My Romaio Basic and Premiere are still connected to the Ethernet segment that my TiVo Desktop PC is on and the GigE connection to my Roamio Pro. I had been getting 93mbps transfer rates over wireless, but even when switching to a wired ethernet connection the transfer rates are still the same as wireless. Which is half of what it was before.

EDIT: Whoops! I posted this in the wrong thread.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt : 04-23-2014 at 11:47 AM.
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:44 AM   #37
wpatters1229
web Guy

Does anyone know what the channel setting is on the Tivo? Is that something to do with the cable card? The S3 has a cable card and the S2 uses a cable box from Comcast with an ir transmitter for the TiVo channel changing signal. I run my wireless from an Access Point and that AP is connect with a Ecable to my router which is in another building. All my other wireless devices work just fine and are running at around 10meg. I never had any problems until adding the Roamio. Just wish someone could tell me what is so different on the network with the Roamio over the others. I do not use the streaming and do not know if that is a problem. Netflix streaming works just fine on the Roamio so I know the Internet and wireless is good. The dual band thing I will look into but basically I install my router taking the defaults and it has worked just fine. It maybe my anti-virus. I am using Kaspersky but if that was true why does the Tivo Desktop download from the S3 just fine...but none of the Tivos can see the PC so that could be the Beacon...will check that all out. Thanks for the advice.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:37 PM   #38
jwbelcher

Quote:
I am having a similar problem with my new Roamio Basic. I also work with networking and software engineering and build web sites.
I had two tivos. A series 2 and Series 3. Both on a wifi network along with 3 PCs and all worked just fine....netflicks and even a Wii getting netflicks streaming...all off of a AP that is hard wired to my router then to my Comcast modem. Almost forgot I also was able to download recordings to my PC from either TiVo for saving and was able to view my photos and music from the same PC.
Now we bought a Roamio for the 4 tuner feature. Took awhile for the Tivo.com system to see the box and for the whole network to settle in. I was finally able to copy season passes to the Roamio and visa versa....did that just to see how it all worked. Now if I go to the Shows menu and scroll down I can see both of the other Tivos, the S2 and S3. They can see each other all via the wifi. BUT I have not been able to see the Roamio from either S2 or S3 Tivo. Have dealt with support many times and today they wanted me to power all the network devices off and the Tivos...all three. Power up the network first and then without letting the Tivos connect to the network power them up. Apparently they do not want any of the port testing to go on and they want it clear. Then they want to connect each TiVo to the network. They want all this done while I am on the phone!!! Probable take an hour. I have basically done the same thing but they did not care to hear that. I can see all three devices on my router and all of the network parameters are correct with same broadcast ips, gateway, dns etc.. The ONLY thing that is different is the S2 and the S3 are using channel 4 in wifi and the Roamio is using channel 0. There is no where in the standard setup a way to change that. It should not matter since you can have multiple devices and each one using a different channel but with the Tivos it might be something....can not find an answer to that. EVERYTHING else about all three Tivos work just fine.....I just want to be able to pull things off the Roamio into one of the other Tivos...primarily the S3. Almost forgot that the Tivo Desktop software also fails to download recordings off the Roamio to the PC. I can see them and the download starts but it always fails. BUT I CAN download from either the S3 or the S2 to my PC just fine.
My conclusion is that something in the Roamio is wrong....it is either using a language that the other software is not able to understand or something is broken since the Roamio can see the other Tivos and at Tivo.com there can be an exchange of information using the season pass manager but the home network piece is a mess.

I am going to hold the phone in one hand and have them walk through the steps that they require. Basically they will not do anything more for me until I do that....would not even send me the steps in and email...ugh another hour in the day.
What s/w release is running on your Roamio? Also, I'd recommend temporarily running Ethernet between your Roamio, Router and PC to see if it still fails to download via Tivo Desktop.
Sony SAT-T60 + Turbonet (Retired)
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 03:47 PM   #39
wpatters1229
web Guy

The problem is the router is in another building. I guess I could move it and not have it connected to the cable (Comcast). I could then bypass the wireless and see if the other Tivos can then see it. If they can then something is wrong with the wireless and some sort of port restriction. My feeling is that nothing will change but only one way to find out. I have to wait until tomorrow since the TiVo network says there is an update to the software scheduled at 2am. Wonder what that is all about.