TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-18-2014, 02:11 PM   #1
gbruyn

Smile Tivo Stream Problem - Temperature Related! -CONFIRMED! Ideas?

Okay, so I'm trying to troubleshoot an ongoing problem I've had with streaming from my Tivo Roamio Plus. Both in home and out of home I have issues with from time to time.

In home, I normal get a download failed message if I setup multiple recordings to transfer overnight. I have to restart them in the morning and on occasion I have to do this multiple times before I can download a program or two.

Outside the Home, I can stream for 30-45 minutes without any issues and then it just stops suddenly. At times, I can restart it shortly after by exiting the stream and reloading it. Other times it seems as the Stream just completely dropped offline as the app won't find it for 10-15 minutes.

I'm starting to think both of these issues are temperature related. Can you all tell me what temperature your Tivo app reports when going to settings icon (gear) and then click on "system information" and then finally click on "Full System Information" and tell me what "System Temp" reads?

Mine right now is reading 45C. After some streaming I see it as high as 62-63C. That seems pretty hot to me. Perhaps my stream chip is overheating... I've never received any sort of message on the Tivo itself that says anything about too high a temp.

I'm ONLY looking for Tivo Roamio PLUS and PRO users feedback, and not stand alone stream users.

Thanks in advance!

*** Update 4/19/2014 --- So after playing with it all day, I can confirm that my streaming issues are definitely temperature related. Seems that anything about 62 or 63, the stream drops offline.

I opened the Tivo case and had a fan blowing air across the motherboard. Temps were 20-30 degrees COOLER than with the case closed --- any NO ISSUES WHATSOEVER. Was able to download and stream to multiple devices without any interruptions for hours. After putting the top case back on the Tivo, the temps climbed up to the 60's and the Stream dropped offline.

Now --- the question is what to do about it? The one small fan in the Tivo is running, but I'm not sure if it's running at full speed. Is there anyway to tell? The stand alone stream had a fan speed readout, but I can't find anything for the built in stream on the Roamio's.

There are 3 heatsinks on 3 chips. I'm not sure which one is for the streaming chip, but all 3 heatsinks aren't attached very securely --- they have this little spring clip that holds them in place. I was thinking of putting some heatsink compound between the heatsink and chip.

I talked to Tivo today and told them all of this. They said there was no indication or log of my Tivo overheating at all. Since there was no WARRANTY seal on the screws, I didn't think opening the case would void my warranty, but they say it has and won't do an exchange. They are still "looking into the issue" though. So who knows what that means.

For those of you having Streaming issues both in home and out of home -- this is PROBABLY the issue!!!!

Last edited by gbruyn : 04-19-2014 at 04:10 PM.
gbruyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 02:57 PM   #2
kbmb

Well right now my Roamio Plus is sitting on an open entertainment center shelf. The reading from the iOS app shows 55C. This is with it recording 1 show currently.

EDIT: looks like my wife is streaming something as well right now.

I started to download a movie to it, and after about 20 minutes of it downloading the temp went to 57C and seems to be staying there.

I'll try streaming a show and see if it goes higher.

EDIT 2: with two of us streaming locally, the highest it's gotten is 59C.

-Kevin

Last edited by kbmb : 04-18-2014 at 03:07 PM.
kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 05:04 PM   #3
moyekj

My Roamio Pro reading often goes to 68 C when Stream actively being used.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:19 PM   #4
gbruyn

Any both of you have no problems streaming in the home or outside the home?
Old 04-19-2014, 12:43 AM   #5
moyekj

Generally problem free. Most common problem is freeze in last 2 minutes of playback which does not seem to correlate with heat related problems.

Old 04-19-2014, 01:12 AM   #6
moyekj

Just for grins, a sample temperature profile when playing back a 30 min show (amost 20 C jump from start to peak):
NOTE: Room temperature was ~24 C (76 F) at time I started playback.

Code:
9:53  46C
9:54  50C
9:55  55C
9:56  56C
9:57  58C
10:01 60C
10:02 62C
10:05 63C
10:11 65C
10:17 65C

Last edited by moyekj : 04-19-2014 at 01:17 AM.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:12 PM   #7
gbruyn

The highest reported temp I see if 63C before it goes offline. With the case open and fan blowing air onto the motherboard, the highest temp ever is like 40C!

Guess I need a nice fan setup!?!
Old 04-19-2014, 04:16 PM   #8
gbruyn

Posted this in the OP, but here it is: *** Update 4/19/2014 --- So after playing with it all day, I can confirm that my streaming issues are definitely temperature related. Seems that anything about 62 or 63, the stream drops offline.

I opened the Tivo case and had a fan blowing air across the motherboard. Temps were 20-30 degrees COOLER than with the case closed --- any NO ISSUES WHATSOEVER. Was able to download and stream to multiple devices without any interruptions for hours. After putting the top case back on the Tivo, the temps climbed up to the 60's and the Stream dropped offline.

Now --- the question is what to do about it? The one small fan in the Tivo is running, but I'm not sure if it's running at full speed. Is there anyway to tell? The stand alone stream had a fan speed readout, but I can't find anything for the built in stream on the Roamio's.

There are 3 heatsinks on 3 chips. I'm not sure which one is for the streaming chip, but all 3 heatsinks aren't attached very securely --- they have this little spring clip that holds them in place. I was thinking of putting some heatsink compound between the heatsink and chip.

I talked to Tivo today and told them all of this. They said there was no indication or log of my Tivo overheating at all. Since there was no WARRANTY seal on the screws, I didn't think opening the case would void my warranty, but they say it has and won't do an exchange. They are still "looking into the issue" though. So who knows what that means.

For those of you having Streaming issues both in home and out of home -- this is PROBABLY the issue!!!!
gbruyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:35 PM   #9
aaronwt
HD Addict

You definitely should not have told them you opened the case.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:53 PM   #10
telemark

Forgot Warning: there's 120V+ in the open case. If you don't know how to protect yourself, don't mess around in there.

If you're right there's a thermal safety that's being tripped, you don't want to keep hitting it as it might damage the chip at some point.

I don't know the log structure but there should be some indication in the logs. I don't trust tech support is reading it right. If its on the HD you can read them on a PC yourself. dunno if theyre on the HD though, could be on flash?

The easiest fix is add a CPU fan. The standalone stream has a 40mm X 40mm fan, but visually they don't look like the same heat sink. I guess thermal grease is even easier.

Many systems at first turn on, blow their fans at full speed, dunno if the Roamio does that, but it might help in figuring out if the fan is running too slow. You can also make the fan run at full blast by connecting to a non-speed controlled power line.

Last edited by telemark : 04-20-2014 at 03:00 AM.
telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 04:21 PM   #11
gbruyn

What chip is what?

Anyone know what is what with regards to these 3 chips? There are 3 heatsinks for the chips. One is the main processor, one is the stream processor and the other is probably the chipset for the motherboard. Not sure what is what. Anyone have any idea?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg r0QlzYn.jpg (127.2 KB, 30 views)
Old 04-24-2014, 03:25 AM   #12
telemark

Do you have 2-3 digital thermometers handy?

That sounds like a cop-out but since we don't know why this box is overheating and others boxes are not, it's actually a prudent step since some other component might acting out of the ordinary. Normally, the stream processor would heat up rapidly when streaming and be rather cool all the other times.

Eying the photo, I could make a guess, should be the top one with the large rectangle heatsink. If the photo was detailed enough I could be sure, but can't read most the writing, so that's why it's a guess. In any case the chip would be a Zenverge, zn2000 or zn200.

What are you going to do, add a fan? You don't want them to replace the box?

PS. Oh you wanted all the chips. The bottom right looks like the Broadcom CPU processor. The smallest one on the bottom left is a mystery to me, as all chips are accounted for. Maybe like you said they had to add a bridge.
PPS. Sharpened the photo. The Zenverge is defintely the top/big one.
PPPS. J48 was a fan header.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zenverge01.jpg (13.6 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by telemark : 04-24-2014 at 04:46 AM.
telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:32 PM   #13
gbruyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemark View Post
Do you have 2-3 digital thermometers handy?

What are you going to do, add a fan? You don't want them to replace the box?
They originally said they wouldn't replace the box. Now they are going to do it. So hopefully that fixes the issue completely. Very strange issue.