TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2014, 11:27 PM   #1
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....
 
eboydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 904
Supreme Court decsion may effect Tivo?

Tomorrow (Tuesday April the 22nd) the United States Supreme court will begin hearing arguments which may pull the plug on Aereo and have lasting effects over streaming live TV to mobile devices.

If so, will Tivo Stream be effected by such?? I never heard of Aereo until now but what they do is very similier to how Tivo streams content to Apple and hopefully soon to Android devices?

Quote:
For its New York customers, for instance, Aereo maintains a warehouse in Brooklyn filled with vertically-oriented blade servers equipped with thousands of tiny, thumbnail-sized antennae. When a subscriber wants to watch a TV show, Aereo temporarily assigns her one of those antennae, which captures the free, over-the-air signals available at the warehouse and then begins recording them on a tiny virtual DVR, which is also temporarily assigned to that individual subscriber. If the subscriber indicates that she wants to "watch" rather than save the recording for later viewing, Aereo's equipment will begin transmitting her the program from her own personalized DVR recording after a 6- or 7-second buffering delay.
http://features.blogs.fortune.cnn.co...plug-on-aereo/
__________________
TiVo Roamio Pro
TiVo Roamio Plus (3tb)
TiVo Mini (three)
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:30 AM   #2
telemark
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 814
All the briefs are filed and on the SCOTUS blog.

The Aero case contains rather narrow questions, like when do multiple private performances constitute a public performance.

Tivo's not likely to be negatively affected as they developed their products to conform with the history of legal precedents, by a safe distance.

While the SCOTUS in theory has the power to upheave a lot of this, they tend not to, and only change the minimum.
__________________
Premiere 2 tuner & SiliconDust
on Comcast CableCard + OTA

Last edited by telemark : 04-22-2014 at 03:13 AM.
telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:20 AM   #3
jcthorne
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,961
I hate to say it but a decision in Aereo's favor could negatively impact Tivo for many years. It could spell the end of broadcast tv as we now know it. If Aereo is allowed to proceed with its business model, all the cable tv and satellite providers will do nearly the same. Thus ending the payment system to broadcasters for content. If this happens, the content will cease and most all of it will move to paytv. OTA would become nearly as unused as AM radio.
__________________
Current : Roamio Base with 2TB drive and 2 Premieres and a mini. OTA. kmttg, pyTivo, running with a 78TB Synology 1511 NAS....serving up the world.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:53 AM   #4
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless
 
wmcbrine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 9,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
If this happens, the content will cease and most all of it will move to paytv.
That seems a bit hysterical. They're already giving away their content "free" to people with (regular) antennas. It's paid for by ads. I know they like the double revenue stream, but there was a time when they did without it, and they did fine. Some stations do without it now (invoking must-carry rather than negotiating for fees).

Also, the Aereo system has trouble scaling, and it's not clear to me that it could be applied to the cable/satellite model anyway, in a technical/legal sense.

Edit: It's only 10% of revenue, apparently --



http://www.businessweek.com/articles...-as-we-know-it
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 04-22-2014 at 06:01 AM.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:14 AM   #5
unitron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
I hate to say it but a decision in Aereo's favor could negatively impact Tivo for many years. It could spell the end of broadcast tv as we now know it. If Aereo is allowed to proceed with its business model, all the cable tv and satellite providers will do nearly the same. Thus ending the payment system to broadcasters for content. If this happens, the content will cease and most all of it will move to paytv. OTA would become nearly as unused as AM radio.
Local broadcasters are not going to give up broadcasting, even if the networks dump them. There's still too much money to be made wrapping ads around the local news and especially the weather.

I wonder if you understand exactly what it is that Aereo does.

If they succeed in court, it'll only mean that the court agrees with the position which they have taken, which is that leasing antennas to individuals does not constitute a "re-transmission" the way it has been ruled that cable and satellite services do.

This will mean that Aereo doesn't have to pay the broadcasters any more than the guy with the rabbit ears hooked to his TV or DVR in his own living room, and that cable and satellite will have to keep paying, just like they do now.
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:15 AM   #6
mcf57
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: GA
Posts: 109
Wink

I have also heard that several of the broadcast networks (I think CBS and Fox specifically) have basically said that if Aereo is allowed to continue with the way they do things (aka....they win the case), they will pull all their local networks from the free airwaves (only in those markets served by Aereo) and put them on cable only. Whether that is an empty threat or not is remained to be seen.

I am in the Atlanta market and we are served by Aereo. I think for now there is only about 11 markets that Aereo serve and they are all on the east coast and the midwest. Therefore, maybe they can risk this possible move, but I know there will not be a lot of happy people here in ATL if this happens. Plus, I can't imagine local affiliates like this possible plan either.

I am also not sure why they aren't on the west coast yet or if they have plans. Not even listed as "coming soon" for cities like Denver, LA or Seattle. Maybe its simply a business plan and they don't want to expand too much before they get things stabilized.
mcf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:44 AM   #7
atmuscarella
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 3,861
If Aero wins this fight will not be over, the next move will be for the networks/broadcasters to try and get the laws changed to make what Aero is doing illegal.

It is a fairly new event that local channels have been able to force cable to pay for their feeds and is only possible because of the competition between cable & satellite.

In my opinion if local channels can force cable & satellite to pay for their feeds then cable & satellite should be able to provide any ABC, CBS, CW, NBC, Fox, or PBS channel they want to form anyplace in the country.
__________________
atmuscarella
R.I.P. - 04/04 - Dish 510
09/05 - Humax T-800
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:06 AM   #8
slowbiscuit
FUBAR
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: In the ATL
Posts: 2,677
The word is 'affect', not 'effect', OP. Serious misuse that happens all the time unfortunately.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:47 AM   #9
Grakthis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
I hate to say it but a decision in Aereo's favor could negatively impact Tivo for many years. It could spell the end of broadcast tv as we now know it. If Aereo is allowed to proceed with its business model, all the cable tv and satellite providers will do nearly the same. Thus ending the payment system to broadcasters for content. If this happens, the content will cease and most all of it will move to paytv. OTA would become nearly as unused as AM radio.

Wait, what? In what world would broadcasters stop broadcasting because now someone else can carry their content without paying them? You know that for decades the broadcasters received no carry fees, and were DELIGHTED when cable companies wanted to carry their channels, right?
Grakthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:48 AM   #10
atmuscarella
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 3,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
The word is 'affect', not 'effect', OP. Serious misuse that happens all the time unfortunately.
Here yu go:
Grammar Nazis

__________________
atmuscarella
R.I.P. - 04/04 - Dish 510
09/05 - Humax T-800
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio

Last edited by atmuscarella : 04-22-2014 at 02:36 PM.
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:10 AM   #11
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: North of Boston
Posts: 7,014
Tivo seems to be shying away from OTA users anyway. This has minimal impact on Tivo. Now it might have Stream implications depending on how laws will get changed.
__________________
A passing grade? Like a C? Why don't I just get pregnant at a bus station!
aadam101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:47 AM   #12
unitron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,721
Television broadcast licenses are valuable.

In the case where the local broadcast affiliate is actually owned by the network with which it is affiliated (those are called O&Os, for owned and operated), I don't see them giving up those licenses.

In the case of markets where someone else owns the station that's affiliated with a particular network, expect lots of lawsuiting if the network tries to take away that affiliation and remain in the market via cable.
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:03 PM   #13
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....
 
eboydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 904
Sorry, the effect of the affect isn't a issue of desert in the desert as long as you ate all you can ate which ate bad for $1.99.....

I be remaining a major killer of the English language.



Back on topic, the issue comes down to greed, the broadcasters are seeing the transition of more mobile device multimedia streaming content and they want part of the pie without doing anything different. I believe Aereo will lose this fight as they aren't paying the local broadcasters to carry their content.

If they win, this invalidates the aspect that a cable or satellite provider must pay a local broadcaster to carry their local broadcast which such I really doubt will happen due to past precedent including the end of local OTA broadcasting. Can the government really dictate what one can receive using OTA content, unfortunately yes, despite being free the broadcasters interest is making money and providing a public service is no longer important.

The major broadcasters oppose this because despite the small amount of revenue they receive to allow their content to be retransmitted, revenue is revenue and no one wants to lose revenue.

As far as affecting Tivo Stream, if Aereo loses my concern is that may place the precedent of placing a fee on the retransmission of content to mobile devices when the content is recorded or transmitted on a dvr. Does Tivo pay a fee that allows them to transport the recorded content of a major broadcaster such a NBC, CBS or Fox? Were does it stop if streaming from a private dvr to another device is deemed a violation of copyright content?

As long as such streamed content is reserved for private single consumption and not a public performance, there shouldn't be any regulatory issues or copyright infringement. All this is the big boys missing out on something they can't control or make money off of.
__________________
TiVo Roamio Pro
TiVo Roamio Plus (3tb)
TiVo Mini (three)
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:19 PM   #14
JosephB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 600
This wouldn't affect TiVo, since the issue at hand is the ownership of the retransmission device (the antennas) and whether renting out remotely hosted ones is the same thing as cable tv. The fact that a Roamio or Stream is hosted by you, and only available to you, has been generally accepted as fair use (hence the reason Slingbox hasn't been sued out of existence). Also, even though you are "retransmitting" your cable or antenna content with Roamio/Stream or Slingbox, the channels are still getting paid because you're paying for cable in most cases. In Aereo's case, it presents a real threat to actual revenue streams.
__________________
Current: TiVo HD w/lifetime, 2 x 2 Tuner Premieres

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
JosephB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:26 PM   #15
zalusky
Registered User
 
zalusky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Cupertino, CA
Posts: 3,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Television broadcast licenses are valuable.

In the case where the local broadcast affiliate is actually owned by the network with which it is affiliated (those are called O&Os, for owned and operated), I don't see them giving up those licenses.

In the case of markets where someone else owns the station that's affiliated with a particular network, expect lots of lawsuiting if the network tries to take away that affiliation and remain in the market via cable.
Seems to me that they are less valuable these days. In San Francisco the ABC owned station is mandating salary cuts and people are leaving.

I think OTA and the broadcast model is fading. With all the alternative delivery vehicles there is no growth in the local stations.
Kids today do not get their media through local stations just us old fogies.

If anything I expect pressure someday to get those licenses back for more IP Wifi.
__________________
I will never forget the face of my wife as I left to go the operating room to donate my kidney and give her back her life.
zalusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:28 PM   #16
BobCamp1
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post

The major broadcasters oppose this because despite the small amount of revenue they receive to allow their content to be retransmitted, revenue is revenue and no one wants to lose revenue.
It's also the content providers. The NFL and NHL have threatened to make their games cable-only. It's trivial to set up Aereo to replace NFL Sunday Ticket or NHL Center Ice, since most of those subscribers just watch one team anyway.
BobCamp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:08 PM   #17
JosephB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
Seems to me that they are less valuable these days. In San Francisco the ABC owned station is mandating salary cuts and people are leaving.

I think OTA and the broadcast model is fading. With all the alternative delivery vehicles there is no growth in the local stations.
Kids today do not get their media through local stations just us old fogies.

If anything I expect pressure someday to get those licenses back for more IP Wifi.
The local model is both growing and shrinking. Previously news organizations didn't have to show a profit. Now they do. Now they don't get to just ride on the rest of the money the station earns. Plus, networks are extracting most of the retrans fees from cable companies, so that money doesn't stay local.
__________________
Current: TiVo HD w/lifetime, 2 x 2 Tuner Premieres

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
JosephB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:30 PM   #18
slowbiscuit
FUBAR
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: In the ATL
Posts: 2,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
Yeah, funny you are with your broken link. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries. If you don't get that, search for it on YouTube and this time link it correctly.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:17 PM   #19
unitron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephB View Post
This wouldn't affect TiVo, since the issue at hand is the ownership of the retransmission device (the antennas) and whether renting out remotely hosted ones is the same thing as cable tv. The fact that a Roamio or Stream is hosted by you, and only available to you, has been generally accepted as fair use (hence the reason Slingbox hasn't been sued out of existence). Also, even though you are "retransmitting" your cable or antenna content with Roamio/Stream or Slingbox, the channels are still getting paid because you're paying for cable in most cases. In Aereo's case, it presents a real threat to actual revenue streams.
A receiving antenna is not a "retransmission device".

At least not from a technology standpoint, and so far not from a legal standpoint.

Once some court is stupid enough to say that it is, the broadcasters will try to get the government to implement (and collect on their behalf, but turn over to them) some kind of antenna tax on any household with a TV set.

Or else they won't do so and Aereo can argue discrimination when it goes back to court.

So it'll be a mess either way.


Whether a Slingbox, or a "streaming capable" DVR or other set top box is a re-transmission device is a different issue, both legally and from a technological standpoint.
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:38 PM   #20
atmuscarella
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 3,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Yeah, funny you are with your broken link. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries. If you don't get that, search for it on YouTube and this time link it correctly.
Ya messed up the link it should be fixed now. Or you can amuse yourself via this direct link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4vf8N6GpdM
__________________
atmuscarella
R.I.P. - 04/04 - Dish 510
09/05 - Humax T-800
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:55 PM   #21
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: North of Boston
Posts: 7,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephB View Post
This wouldn't affect TiVo, since the issue at hand is the ownership of the retransmission device (the antennas) and whether renting out remotely hosted ones is the same thing as cable tv. The fact that a Roamio or Stream is hosted by you, and only available to you, has been generally accepted as fair use (hence the reason Slingbox hasn't been sued out of existence). Also, even though you are "retransmitting" your cable or antenna content with Roamio/Stream or Slingbox, the channels are still getting paid because you're paying for cable in most cases. In Aereo's case, it presents a real threat to actual revenue streams.
I disagree. The one antenna that Aereo uses is also only available to me at any given moment. If what Aereo is doing is illegal, than I'm guessing the Tivo Stream also becomes an illegal device. If Tivo were in more homes, the broadcasters would be going after them. The fact that Tivo is still a niche market has saved them from a lot of litigation (although they have had their fair share).
__________________
A passing grade? Like a C? Why don't I just get pregnant at a bus station!
aadam101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:29 PM   #22
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless
 
wmcbrine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 9,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Once some court is stupid enough to say that it is, the broadcasters will try to get the government to implement (and collect on their behalf, but turn over to them) some kind of antenna tax on any household with a TV set.
LOL. That's how it is in Britain, but they get the BBC in return. Tell you what broadcasters, you drop all commercials and give us BBC quality, and you can have your fee.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:54 PM   #23
Dan203
Super Moderator
 
Dan203's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Nevada
Posts: 25,654
I seriously doubt this will have any effect on TiVo or Sling. Those are individual devices intended for personal use. The broadcasters don't like Aereo because they are doing it on a large scale which could potentially threaten their rebroadcasting deals with MSOs and their blackout deals with the major sports leagues.
__________________
Dan Haddix
Super Moderator
Developer for VideoReDo
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:22 PM   #24
JosephB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I seriously doubt this will have any effect on TiVo or Sling. Those are individual devices intended for personal use. The broadcasters don't like Aereo because they are doing it on a large scale which could potentially threaten their rebroadcasting deals with MSOs and their blackout deals with the major sports leagues.
Yeah, the fact that TiVo/Sling requires you to acquire your content through "legitimate" (quoted because IMO Aereo is legitimate) and doesn't really threaten any revenue streams. Plus, DVR and even Sling I think has been litigated to some extent.
__________________
Current: TiVo HD w/lifetime, 2 x 2 Tuner Premieres

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
JosephB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:28 PM   #25
Bigg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Hartford- New Haven CT
Posts: 3,834
The networks are largely full of hot air. They are already giving the content away to OTA users, so giving it away to users with Aereo doesn't fundamentally change their business model. Even if they do pull stuff from the air, they are not going to just pull the whole station, but rather pull some of the signature shows and put them on cable channels while backfilling with syndicated content. However, that would just be continuation of the move of the good content to cable anyways.

And how does it affect TiVo? It doesn't.
__________________
My Place: Premiere XL4 Lifetime 3/26/13 XFinity
3 TiVo Mini's on MoCA
Formerly Win MCE 3TB Ceton4 XFinity
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:39 PM   #26
rainwater
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 6,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
I disagree. The one antenna that Aereo uses is also only available to me at any given moment.
That really is the crux of the argument though. I don't think it would have any affect on TiVo at all because the Supreme Court seemed very aware of the ramifications according to their questions. My guess is if they shoot down Aereo's argument, they will be very limited in their scope. And since the TiVo Stream is in the hands of the owners, it isn't going to be affected.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:45 PM   #27
JosephB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 600
Fox tried to sue Dish over Sling when they put Sling in the Hopper, but it was tied to the commercial skipping as well. Sling technology has been out for quite a while and it never went to court. I think Sling-style placeshifting, which TiVo's implementation would fall under, is generally grandfathered into being OK. It's going to be tough to try to litigate something that has been in the marketplace for 7 years or so is all of a sudden illegal.

However, the Aereo model is different. With a TiVo/Sling, you are always connecting to the same hardware. You bought the hardware. You paid for the TV subscription, or you are receiving the signal at your place of business/residence. With Aereo, you could possibly never be in the DMA where you're receiving the signal, you are "renting" the hardware, and probably the most damaging to Aereo, you don't necessarily get the same antenna and tuner every time. While I personally don't think Aereo is infringing, and it's silly to protect retrans fees for broadcasters who give their signals away for free, I'm not a lawyer, and the outcome may be bad for them but it won't affect TiVo.
__________________
Current: TiVo HD w/lifetime, 2 x 2 Tuner Premieres

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
JosephB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:54 PM   #28
telemark
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 814
mcf57: Aero chose markets where the courts were expected to be friendly to their legality, which has worked out for them so far.

They have green lights to operate in New York and Boston for now.

They lost in the 10th circuit which means Denver and Salt Lake City had to be shutdown unless they have a higher court (SCOTUS) reverse it.

The 9th circuit which has California, has sided with the big broadcasters against an Aero competitor called PlayOn. http://www.playon.tv/supported-devices
__________________
Premiere 2 tuner & SiliconDust
on Comcast CableCard + OTA
telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:36 PM   #29
mattack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: sunnyvale
Posts: 17,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCamp1 View Post
It's also the content providers. The NFL and NHL have threatened to make their games cable-only. It's trivial to set up Aereo to replace NFL Sunday Ticket or NHL Center Ice, since most of those subscribers just watch one team anyway.
I'm not a sports person generally (I get addicted to the Olympics and some years watch the little league world series, that's about it)...

But are you saying NFL Sunday Ticket simply shows the exact same games that are broadcast over the air? What does it do, show even ones that are locally blacked out?
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:40 AM   #30
Dan203
Super Moderator
 
Dan203's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Nevada
Posts: 25,654
Sunday Ticket allows you to watch every single NFL game in the country. Normally there are blackout rules that prevent people outside the immediate area from watching certain games. So if you're a fan of a team that is not in your area Sunday Ticket is really the only way to watch every single game they play.

Aereo technically forces you to use a credit card with a billing address in the area you subscribe, but people have found ways to fake that using PO boxes or prepaid cards that allow you to set te billing zip code. So someone in CA who's a Jets fan could subscribe to Aereo in NYC and be able to watch every Jets home game.
__________________
Dan Haddix
Super Moderator
Developer for VideoReDo
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:15 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |