TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-21-2014, 08:08 PM   #1
jevans14

Benefit of Moca?

I purchased a new 6 tuner Roamio Plus. It is connected to the router via ethernet and works fine. I tried setting up a Moca network but it failed and I was told I needed a POE filter. Because I have been a very old and loyal customer the support rep sent me a POE filter. My question is this- I presently have only one Tivo and while in the past I have had up to 3, in my new house I will most likely only have one total Tivo. With only one Tivo is there any advantage or incentive to set up a Moca network?
jevans14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:11 PM   #2
tarheelblue32

No.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:21 PM   #3
tatergator1

With only one TiVo that is directly connected to your router, setting up a MoCA network is pointless. Ethernet is always preferred. MoCA exists to bring an Ethernet-like wired connection to places where Ethernet is not available but coax is.

Plug the Roamo into the router and forget about MoCA.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:13 PM   #4
rainwater

Where it would benefit is if you had Tivo Minis in other rooms. MoCA provides ethernet like speeds without the need to use anything other than your existing coax (for MoCA supported devices like the Roamio Pro/Plus and TiVo Minis).

Although I don't understand why a POE filter would be required. Perhaps you tried to setup the MoCA network on an old version of the software. You would need to plug in ethernet on your Roamio for it to work as a bridge. But like others have said, it would be pointless without other MoCA devices.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:29 PM   #5
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
Where it would benefit is if you had Tivo Minis in other rooms. MoCA provides ethernet like speeds without the need to use anything other than your existing coax (for MoCA supported devices like the Roamio Pro/Plus and TiVo Minis). Although I don't understand why a POE filter would be required. Perhaps you tried to setup the MoCA network on an old version of the software. You would need to plug in ethernet on your Roamio for it to work as a bridge. But like others have said, it would be pointless without other MoCA devices.
.....unless he wants to distribute Ethernet throughout his home using his Roamio plus as the bridge and other moca adapters and maybe some switches in each room to demodulate the signal back to Ethernet for other internet devices like PCs, Roku, game systems, etc. (i.e. - no more tivos or minis)
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:46 AM   #6
jevans14

Thanks for the responses. That is pretty much exactly what I thought and it is always good to get confirmation. Not going to do anything unless someday I get a Tivo mini.
jevans14 is offline   Reply With Quote