TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-15-2014, 01:41 PM   #1
Lrscpa

HDMI not permitted on device using Mini's A/V Output

Use Mini hooked up to large TV via HDMI and also hardwired to small bedside DVD player (which I use as a mpnitor) via the Mini's A/V output. Occasionally when watching on DVD player only, I will get the "HDMI not Permitted Banner". I can stop this banner by turning on large TV for approx 30 seconds simultaneously with the DVD player, then turning off large TV, which clears the banner on the DVD player. I watch this small DVD player when wife is sleeping, so turning on large TV sort of defeats the purpose.

Any ideas how to eliminate the warning?

Roamio Pro (Stock) w/Lifetime <Stewie>
TiVo Mini w/Lifetime <Brian>
TiVo Premiere Elite (Stock) w/Lifetime-Sold
TiVo HD w/1TB WD10000CSRTL w/Lifetime-Sold
No More Tuning Adapters!
MoCA
Lrscpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:54 PM   #2
aaronwt
HD Addict

Try a different HDM cable first.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:59 PM   #3
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Sounds like HDCP is kicking in and causing this. Is the Mini attached by HDMI to the DVD player and then the TV? Not sure if I understand how you have it hooked or are you just using multiple HDMI inputs on your TV? Also, is the TV a older TV, many older HDMI input TV's have problems with HDCP over HDMI.

One little device that mist likely fix it is a cheap little 2 way HDMI splitter, HDview works wonders with older TV's. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 just connect the input to your Mini and one of the outputs to the TV or whatever connects to the TV leaving the other HDMI output unused.
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 01:33 PM   #4
Lrscpa

TV is hooked to HDMI on Mini. DVD player is hooked to the AV out on Mini.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No More Tuning Adapters!
MoCA
Old 04-21-2014, 11:23 AM   #5
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrscpa View Post
TV is hooked to HDMI on Mini. DVD player is hooked to the AV out on Mini.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So you are using the AV out cable on the min to the DVD player which I assume the DVD player is then connected to another hdmi port on the TV? If so I believe there have been reports of problems with both component and hdmi ports active at the same time on the Mini. The recent spring update might have corrected such, what version software is on your mini? I don't recall the version number but check the Premiere and Roamio section for the actual version number of the update, there are current message thread in both sections.

If it's not updated, you might try calling Tivo and see if such would help and possibly get the update sent to your mini. Not sure but I believe though there were some problems with the spring update for the early adopters so the update may have been delayed to everyone else.

Your best bet would be to call Tivo and see what they say.
TiVo Premiere

Old 04-21-2014, 11:42 AM   #6
Lrscpa

...So you are using the AV out cable on the min to the DVD player which I assume the DVD player is then connected to another hdmi port on the TV...

No, the DVD Player which is a portable (i.e. has it's own screen), is not hooked up to the TV's HDMI port. I use it solely as a bedside 'monitor' to watch w/an earbud while wife is sleeping.

...If so I believe there have been reports of problems with both component and hdmi ports active at the same time on the Mini....

No, do not use TV and DVD Player simultaneously, so both ports not active at same time.

...The recent spring update might have corrected such...

I have the recent update.

Thanks for your help though!

No More Tuning Adapters!
MoCA
Old 04-21-2014, 01:45 PM   #7
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Weird, So you are using the green blue red output composite from the mini to the DVD for video or the yellow RCA video line? Kinda sounds like HDCP but more like a inactivity timeout were the Mini is detecting the TV is off and it's misinterpreting the down HDMI signal as time to shut down?? How are you sending sound to the DVD player, component RCA or does the DVD have Toslink input?

Perhaps other's will voice in on how the Mini handles inactivity as there is a certain amount of time that passes with no activity from the remote were the Mini will release the tuner on the host but I'm not sure if that's related or not.

That splitter I referred might fix it as it would maintain the HDMI output signal regardless if the Mini times out if the Mini is somehow monitoring the status of the HDMI status of the TV but that is just a guess. I don't suppose the DVD player has HDMI input by any chance?

Sounds like you are encountering the timeout "feature" perhaps?
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...t=HDMI+timeout

If it's the Mini's timeout doing this, it could be as simple as hitting the pause and play button the remote before the timeout expires (90 minutes??).
TiVo Premiere