TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-21-2014, 09:17 AM   #1
jastavoss

Transfer speeds vs Premiere XL

Using my Premiere XL, which was new 2 years ago, it takes about 10 minutes to transfer a 2-3 GB movie to my computer. Would the Roameo be any faster?
jastavoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:03 AM   #2
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Roamio should be 2-3 times faster (but it depends on the rest of your network).
Old 04-21-2014, 01:54 PM   #3
aaronwt
HD Addict

Depends on the Roamio. The Roamio Plus and Pro have GigE connections while the Romaio Basic only has a 100BT connection.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:08 PM   #4
ffitzgerald39

Transfer Speeds

With my Premier XL WiFi to transfer a 2 Hour HD movie used to take 2 hours. Now with a Roamio Pro connected with MoCA the same movie takes a half hour. This is with the same Comcast service running 25-30 Mbps for an Amazon movie.
ffitzgerald39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:42 PM   #5
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Depends on the Roamio. The Roamio Plus and Pro have GigE connections while the Romaio Basic only has a 100BT connection.
At least I've consistently seen over >90Mbps transfers with my base Roamios.

I had to tuner-park and use standby to get <70Mbps with 2-tuner Premieres.

What speeds are the Roamio Plus/Pro achieving?

It's a bad time to ask, given the recent issues the now-rolling update has caused. So, maybe pre/post update speeds are a good idea for now...
Old 04-22-2014, 07:41 AM   #6
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
At least I've consistently seen over >90Mbps transfers with my base Roamios.

I had to tuner-park and use standby to get <70Mbps with 2-tuner Premieres.

What speeds are the Roamio Plus/Pro achieving?

It's a bad time to ask, given the recent issues the now-rolling update has caused. So, maybe pre/post update speeds are a good idea for now...
i get 150mbps+ speeds when transferring to/from my PC. No idea what transfer rates are between two Plus/Pro models though.

For the Base Roamio I also see 90mbps+ transfer speeds from the wireless and wired connections.

So far I've not noticed any issues with transfers and Roamio usage with the Spring update. Although my usage of the Roamio has only been during transfers to the PC and from my Roamio Pro to my Roamio Basic. I have not used it yet during any transfers from the PC to the Roamio. Since I have not made any transfers in that direction since I got the Spring update.

Last edited by aaronwt : 04-22-2014 at 07:48 AM.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:19 PM   #7
JWhites

Let's not forget the SATA speed and cache also plays an important part in reading and writing data from and to the hard drive. The Premieres using SATA Rev II so it's 3 Gb/s. I'd like to think the Roamio, being brand new and completely redesigned from the ground up, is using SATA Rev III so it'd be 6 Gb/s.
JWhites is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:26 PM   #8
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhites View Post
Let's not forget the SATA speed and cache also plays an important part in reading and writing data from and to the hard drive. The Premieres using SATA Rev II so it's 3 Gb/s. I'd like to think the Roamio, being brand new and completely redesigned from the ground up, is using SATA Rev III so it'd be 6 Gb/s.
The Roamio still uses SATA-I 150MB/s (1.5Gb/s) mode. The Roamios log that they set the mode to that. Apparently, that's all that is needed. I've verified with ggieseke, that this is the case with the Plus/Pro, as well (since I have all base-Roamios).

That's why it's absurd when I see people recommending 7200RPM WD Black and other high performance drives, or making claims that people should buy the SATA-III drives (there's no point).

The CPU was always the limiting factor, until the Roamio. That's what opened it up.

Unfortunately, the current 20.4.1 software has been reported to bog-down the UI and A/V, with most speculation guessing TiVo is giving the networking too many processing cycles. I've seen a few reports of people not afflicted with it.

I often wonder if people are talking about the same networking method (Ethernet, MoCA, Wireless), since most don't specify which way they are using, or if they have a base model w/100Mbit, or a Plus/Pro w/Gbit, and so on...

I'd imagine if the network being used throttles the speed due to the network backbone/method and performance limiting matters, that user may not see such issues, since their Roamios can't run at full-potential (which in theory, may reduce the load on the NIC of the TiVo). I'd think a Plus/Pro having UI and A/V lag, might speed-up if a 100Mbit switch was used to throttle the traffic. I keep suggesting people try it, when the subject comes up.

Most everything in TiVo is all on one chip, and it all has to share the processing capabilities/cycles/time.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:01 PM   #9
aaronwt
HD Addict

I just checked my transfer rates. There is certainly something going on. I didn't run into an issue with my Romaios while they were transferring, but the transfer rates are not what they were before. They were only 40% to 50% of what they should be.

Last edited by aaronwt : 04-22-2014 at 09:58 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:47 AM   #10
aaronwt
HD Addict

I switched my Roamio Pro and two Minis over to MoCA this morning to see what effect that had. That did increase the transfer rates some to/from TiVo Desktop, but it is still nowhere near what it used to be.

My Roamio Pro is bridging the Ethernet and MoCA so I still have a GigE connection to my TiVo desktop. But when viewing two live channels with my Minis the transfer rate to TiVo Desktop drops to 50mb/s. Without the Minis it's a little over 100mbps. But I previously got 150mbps+ transfer rates to/from TiVo Desktop. From a user perspective I can see no difference in usage but the transfers are much slower than they used to be. I think I'll keep it on MoCA for a while to see how it does.

My Romaio Basic and Premiere are still connected to the Ethernet segment that my TiVo Desktop PC is on and the GigE connection to my Roamio Pro. I had been getting around 93mbps transfer rates over wireless with my Roamio Basic, but even when switching to a wired ethernet connection the transfer rates are still the same as wireless. Which is around half of what it was before.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:30 AM   #11
jastavoss

Thanks for the replies!
jastavoss is offline   Reply With Quote