TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-20-2014, 01:49 AM   #1
Mikem965

Military discount

Hi there. I've been a Loyal Tivo owner for 12+ years now. I love every tivo I've ever owned. Been considering an upgrade from my premier to a Roamio Plus.
I was shopping on eBay last week and came upon a box being sold brand new and unopened for a very reasonable price. (Half retail) so I purchased it.
As soon as it arrived I connected it to my TV and wireless, called customer service to activate and was told the box was already activated. The customer service rep went on to explain the box I purchased was part of a program where Tivo gave free boxes and service to returning military personnel. He transferred the box to my account and said I am currently not being charged a monthly fee but didn't know how long that would last.
I contacted the seller and asked if he was in the military. He said he was a Marine and was being re deployed and had no need for the box but needed the $$$, as a thank you for the great deal and his service to our country I sent him an additional $50.
My question for all of you is....do you know how long the military service discount will remain on my account, the CSR couldn't answer that for me.
Thanks,
Mikem965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:29 AM   #2
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Look at the System Information Screen, and find "TiVo Account Status" and "TiVo Service Level".
Post what you see on those lines. We may not be able to interpret what is there, but it will give us a better chance than if we didn't have that information at all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 04:31 PM   #3
Mikem965

Tivo service account status= 11:evaluation

Tivo service level= C:051714

Thank you
Old 04-20-2014, 05:12 PM   #4
telemark

Could you check your SW version and TivoToGo status as well? Just checking if everything is normal about that box. Probably is, but anyway.

To answer your question best I know. The evaluation status is from the TSN, not your account.

They could have revoked it when you said you bought it 2nd hand, but since they didn't, they may never do it. They could in theory do a mass expiration on all the TSN's in the program. Without knowing the initial promotional announcement it's impossible to know if that was their plan all along.

Last edited by telemark : 04-20-2014 at 05:20 PM.
telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 05:37 PM   #5
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Yes, you could continue to get it. The other possibility is that they will review it on May 17, and possibly stop it then (coded in the service level).
Old 04-20-2014, 06:25 PM   #6
telemark

Found it. The C: date will probably push out ahead of then.

Too bad they didn't want it. It was a good idea if you're stationed abroad to be able to watch US programming.

http://phoenix.corporate-ir.net/phoe...light=military

Delivering a Slice of Home to U.S. Troops Deployed Abroad With TiVo(R) Anywhere Technology to Watch Programming From Their Hometown

SAN JOSE, CA -- (Marketwired) -- 12/12/13 -- TiVo Inc. (NASDAQ: TIVO), a global leader in the advanced television entertainment market, today announced the launch of "Operation Home Screen," an effort to show appreciation for the men and women serving in the U.S. Military, through entertainment. To start, a cooperation with Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton in San Diego enables TiVo to give 50 service men and women the opportunity to enjoy TV programming from home while stationed abroad.

"Our troops abroad deserve any gesture of kindness we can provide. As a small expression of gratitude, TiVo is delivering what only the TiVo Roamio can provide -- access to live TV, recorded shows and movies and downloaded recordings anywhere in the world," said Doug Bieter, Vice President of Sales & Marketing at TiVo. "Operation Home Screen leverages the unparalleled Roamio offering for brave men and women around the world in service to our country. Service members' favorite shows, sports teams and stateside local news will be streaming straight to their tablet or smartphone no matter where they are stationed this holiday season. We are thrilled to make our season's greeting to our troops a gift we know means a lot -- a small slice of home."

In the first phase of Operation Home Screen 50 service members along with their families from Camp Pendleton will be given a TiVo Roamio™ Plus with Product Lifetime Service to enjoy local programming on a portable device, providing the same access to content as if they were watching it on the TV at home. By leveraging the Out-of-Home Streaming capability of a new TiVo Roamio DVR, they will be able to stream live or recorded programming into faraway non-combat zones via tablets and smartphones.

For more information about Operation Home Screen please visit: www.tivo.com/OHS
Old 04-20-2014, 06:38 PM   #7
kdmorse

Every once and a while they audit and clean up 'special' tivos. But they don't do it very often, or very thoroughly.

While it *could* go away, chances are it won't.
kdmorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 11:59 PM   #8
Mikem965

Thanks for the info guys. I'm not sure I understood the actual promotion. Could it be this box has a lifetime service or did they have 2 seperate promotions (phases) for the military?
One with lifetime service free and one with a limmited number of months free?
Old 04-21-2014, 12:26 AM   #9
telemark

Your box is consistent with a promotional "lifetime" box.

Promotional boxes, boxes given out free, have the 11-Evaluation code. These are like contests and sweepstakes and boxes given to reporters.

This is different than retail purchased boxed with lifetime purchased separately. This is why I asked you the other 2 status, make sure everything is working as it should.

Tivo calls them both Lifetime but they're tracked differently in their system.

Nobody, short of the VP of marketing, can really tell you when/if ever it will stop. If the C:date ever ends up less than a week a way, that's when it's going to stop. Otherwise, it'll keep marching forward.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:30 AM   #10
Mikem965

Tivo to go = a,a,a,a

SW Version 20.3.8-USA-6-848
Old 08-22-2014, 01:24 PM   #11
TheMilitaryLink

Updated Military Program

Well to say that TiVo got it right would simply be an understatement. The new TiVo Veteran and Military Program is fantastic. It opens the door to all Service Members (Past & Present) and their families.

If you have not seen it already tivo.com/military

Great job TiVo
TheMilitaryLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 03:04 PM   #12
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMilitaryLink View Post
Well to say that TiVo got it right would simply be an understatement. The new TiVo Veteran and Military Program is fantastic. It opens the door to all Service Members (Past & Present) and their families. If you have not seen it already tivo.com/military Great job TiVo
Agreed 100%!!! It's also being discussed in the "Roamio Deals?" thread.
HarperVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 04:18 PM   #13
Dan203
Super Moderator

These are basically the same plans they tried to sell everyone a few years ago. I wonder why they are trying to pass them off as a military discount now?

The biggest problem with these deals back then was that after the contract period expired, and you owned the unit, they would continue to charge you $20/mo unless you called and asked to be lowered to the regular monthly rate. So it was basically a scam to get you locked into paying a higher rate for life unless you're paying attention.

Reducing the cost of the hardware, or giving it away for free, in favor of a higher monthly rate is something they've actually tried several times in the past. It's always failed. I don't get the logic of doing it again and trying to pass it off as some sort of special military "discount".

Do the math... You pay $5/mo extra for 2 years, that's $120. Which means in reality it's only about an $80 discount over the full MSRP and only about $25 compared to Amazon. And if you forget to call and ask for the normal price when the 2 year commitment is up you eat into your discount $5 at a time until you do.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:34 PM   #14
HarperVision

See the deals thread for my thoughts on that Dan.
HarperVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 10:07 AM   #15
TheMilitaryLink

Thank you TiVo

Your Veterans & Military offer is fantastic and we applaud that you set standards for other big businesses to follow. tivo.com/military
TheMilitaryLink is offline   Reply With Quote