TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Suggestion Avenue
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-14-2014, 01:17 PM   #1
TexasGrillChef

Custom User Created Folders

I would love for us to be able to CREATE our own folders to store our recordings, and in the SP or recording setup, we could preset which folder the show would be placed after recording.

I request this, because I have one TiVo that records nothing but movies on all of the various movie cable channels. (HBO, Starz, Encore, etc..)

Because movies are NOT series... They aren't put into folders.

Thus my NPL is now 200 files long. and takes forever to thumb through!

If I were able to create my own folders, I would create a folder for HBO, one for Starz, another one for each of the Encore stations, etc... and then the movies for each of those networks would be in their folders. Making the NPL much easier to view

Same way folders make it easier to view our SP's for series TV shows we watch.

In the minimum, we should maybe have at least a "MOVIE" folder where the TiVo will put all the movies we record. Since the TiVo is smart enough to know if what we are recording is a Movie or a Series.

TGC
TexasGrillChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:20 PM   #2
javabird

I agree. This has been a highly requested item for a long time.
javabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:47 PM   #3
bradleys
It'll be fine....

It has been highly requested, but not likely to be delivered.

TiVo's design strategy is about developing a highly usable user interface not a highly customizable user interface - and in most cases the two are mutually exclusive.

I think the best we can hope for are profiles some time in the future. My opinion; if it takes screens of settings it isn't within their strategy.

I am actually very surprised they added the default recording settings and that was really just one page for one default setting. It is something that TiVo users access daily, so that may have motivated the functionality.

But anytime anyone wants some type of highly customized functionality, my answer is going to be the same... It goes against the TiVo design strategy and will not be part of their future state as I see it.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:37 PM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

I also think it's unlikely. The "folders" you see in My Shows are not actually folders, they're groups. They're shows that are grouped together based on common guide data. In most cases it's the show's ID, but it can also group shows based on Wish Lists, guides, Amazon purchases, etc... And in some cases there is an overlap and the same show will appear in multiple groups.

That being said there is some speculation that TiVo is working on additional sorting options that would group shows based on broader categories to make the My Shows list easier to navigate. Several of the Roamio reviews from last year mentioned a 3 tier My Shows list. (the current one being 2 tier) So we may get some better sorting options in the future.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:43 AM   #5
tomhorsley

I'd be happy with one custom folder named "My Older Shows" and a button I can press to say "OK, move all the recordings stashed directly under "My Shows" to "My Older Shows" now. That way I could easily see newer stuff and easily page through the list to get down to suggestions, and other things that are on the bottom.
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 11:58 PM   #6
jerryc

I would be content with a Season Pass sort order for My Shows, where all shows are ordered in the order of the current set of season passes (no need to complicate things by worrying about what happens when a season pass is deleted). Of course, you'd still want shows sorted by date within a show/wishlist.

Even better, if Season Pass sort order is selected and groups are on, all non-Season Pass recordings are put into a Manual Recording group.
jerryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:02 PM   #7
swong_88

I just created a new thread about this very thing. Maybe Tivo will listen if there are not more people here asking for it. Creating new folders does not have to be a multi screen process though. Maybe they can just leave the Season Pass menu the same and let it record. It will usually create a group named after the show. What I want is to be able to create another group inside here where I can manually move episodes to that folder. For example, let's say that I have recorded all 10 seasons of Friends... It is huge pain to have to scroll though over 200 episodes to look for the one that you want to watch.. If they allowed to me to create groups named Season 1, Season 2, etc.... Then allowed to manually move the episodes to their proper places, that would be enough....

Just like the original poster, TexasGrillChef, wrote.. All of that can be accomplish post processing. After the movie has been recorded, you can move that movie to whatever group they want... Allow us to create an HBO, Starz or Cinamax group so that we can arrange and organize it the way we want it to look....

Last edited by swong_88 : 08-12-2014 at 07:13 PM.
swong_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 02:00 AM   #8
Arcady
Stargate Fan

I wouldn't mind being able to create my own folders, but I wonder why anyone would sort them into HBO, Showtime, etc folders. Who cares what channel it was recorded on? Wouldn't you rather sort them into Comedy, Drama, SciFi, etc?
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:26 PM   #9
swong_88

No, I can see why someone would want to separate them out into channels if that is what they are use to.. . The OP seemed to watch almost all of their shows on the premium channels. They probably wanted a group structure like:

Under the HBO group:
True Blood
Game of Thrones
The LeftOvers
Movie X
Movie Y

Under the Starz Group:
Outlanders
Movie A
Movie B

etc...

It is just to reduce the clutter on the top most level.. They know something was recorded from HBO, so they go to the HBO folder to look for it rather than having to scan through everything. It is all a matter of preference...
Old 08-13-2014, 09:10 PM   #10
trip1eX

Quote:
Originally Posted by swong_88 View Post
No, I can see why someone would want to separate them out into channels if that is what they are use to.. . The OP seemed to watch almost all of their shows on the premium channels. They probably wanted a group structure like:

Under the HBO group:
True Blood
Game of Thrones
The LeftOvers
Movie X
Movie Y

Under the Starz Group:
Outlanders
Movie A
Movie B

etc...

It is just to reduce the clutter on the top most level.. They know something was recorded from HBO, so they go to the HBO folder to look for it rather than having to scan through everything. It is all a matter of preference...
Yeah but the part that is a bit odd is imagining anyone actually remembering what movie was recorded on what channel especially as they pile up which is the reason for the folders idea in the first place.
trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:41 AM   #11
jrtroo
User

It is for newbies- not for those fully indoctrinated into Tivo recording everything for them. My guess, the poster still probably watches a lot of live TV!
Old 08-14-2014, 10:12 AM   #12
swong_88

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
It is for newbies- not for those fully indoctrinated into Tivo recording everything for them. My guess, the poster still probably watches a lot of live TV!
I don't agree with this.. For kids, they don't like to delete their cartoons. They just want it there so that they can watch the episode again when ever they want.. My kids have almost 100 episodes of My Little Pony recorded. If they want to watch the first episode that Tivo recorded, they have to scroll through 100 episodes.. Even with that Channel down button to go down by pages, this takes a long time.. And when new episodes come out, there are going to be even more episodes to scroll through.. If we could create our own group within the My Little Pony group, something like Season 1, Season 2, etc... It would make things more manageable.. It makes things look cleaner and not as cluttered...

Even like the OP, they like to record movies like mad from all of the premium channels. Maybe separating out to HBO, Starz, etc... is something they want to do to help them reduce clutter.. Another poster said they would want to create a Comedy, Action, Drama group instead.. It is a way to manually group things. Nothing newbie about this..
Old 08-14-2014, 11:40 AM   #13
tomhorsley

I'd be happy if I could just move older shows to an "older shows" group so the top level list isn't so long.
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 01:35 PM   #14
jrtroo
User

You know you can go to the bottom of any list instantly, right?
Old 08-14-2014, 03:32 PM   #15
swong_88

Quote:
You know you can go to the bottom of any list instantly, right?
What if you wanted to go show that is in the middle of your list of over 100 recorded shows?? I mean that Channel Down button helps and maybe going all the way to the bottom helps but the ability to create another group is better..
Old 08-14-2014, 04:27 PM   #16
trip1eX

Quote:
What if you wanted to go show that is in the middle of your list of over 100 recorded shows?? I mean that Channel Down button helps and maybe going all the way to the bottom helps but the ability to create another group is better..

Well if it was episode 50 on a list of 100 then it would take 5 button presses.

If you had a 4 folders of 25 episodes each it would take 3 button presses.

In general it seems to save 2 button presses. But it can save up to 4 or 5 and it can actually cost you an extra button press.

But to save these button presses you have to spend time creating your folders and organizing your shows. If it did it automatically that would be another story.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:50 PM   #17
swong_88

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip1eX View Post
Well if it was episode 50 on a list of 100 then it would take 5 button presses.

If you had a 4 folders of 25 episodes each it would take 3 button presses.

In general it seems to save 2 button presses. But it can save up to 4 or 5 and it can actually cost you an extra button press.

But to save these button presses you have to spend time creating your folders and organizing your shows. If it did it automatically that would be another story.
I can increase the numbers right.. I have over 300 1/2 hundred shows recorded... With shows in syndication, who says that they will record in order... It is also just clutter... If I want to try watch an episode of the Big Band Theory recorded named The Lizard-Spock Expansion and I don't quite remember when it was recorded.. Imagine having to scan through all of those episodes looking for it... I can't exactly just hit channel down because I have to look through all of the episodes on the screen to see if it is there before I hit channel down again.... By the 3rd or 4th click down, you are already going blind trying to figure out where the episode is... By this time, it is now annoying... If I had the ability to create folders, I could separate out all of my episodes into Seasons maybe. (20-25 episodes in each group). Or maybe separate them out into my Favorite episodoes so I can easily go and watch Sheldon and Raj playing Rock-Paper-Scissors-Lizard-Spock.. There are so many things you can do with this... It is just a way to reduce clutter when you enter My Shows or go into the initial Group named after the TV show.. Make it easier for me to find what I want to watch. With that Roamio Pro or someone who installed an expandable hard drive, there can be a lot of shows recorded.. Not having the ability to group them to way I want them kind of sucks...
Old 08-14-2014, 05:30 PM   #18
trip1eX

Quote:
I can increase the numbers right.. I have over 300 1/2 hundred shows recorded... With shows in syndication, who says that they will record in order... It is also just clutter... If I want to try watch an episode of the Big Band Theory recorded named The Lizard-Spock Expansion and I don't quite remember when it was recorded.. Imagine having to scan through all of those episodes looking for it... I can't exactly just hit channel down because I have to look through all of the episodes on the screen to see if it is there before I hit channel down again.... By the 3rd or 4th click down, you are already going blind trying to figure out where the episode is... By this time, it is now annoying... If I had the ability to create folders, I could separate out all of my episodes into Seasons maybe. (20-25 episodes in each group). Or maybe separate them out into my Favorite episodoes so I can easily go and watch Sheldon and Raj playing Rock-Paper-Scissors-Lizard-Spock.. There are so many things you can do with this... It is just a way to reduce clutter when you enter My Shows or go into the initial Group named after the TV show.. Make it easier for me to find what I want to watch. With that Roamio Pro or someone who installed an expandable hard drive, there can be a lot of shows recorded.. Not having the ability to group them to way I want them kind of sucks...
300 is alot. Who says you remember what folder a show is in when you have 300 episodes?

If you can remember the name maybe the simpler solution is to let you sort episode names alphabetically like you can do with the names of a show or movie.

On the whole though the main problem with the idea is probably user demand. What's the percentage hoarding 300 episodes of a show?

Last edited by trip1eX : 08-14-2014 at 05:38 PM.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:33 PM   #19
lpwcomp

The limitations of the Mini have made the obvious solution - move everything that can be moved to your computer where you can organize things as you like - less viable.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 06:02 PM   #20
swong_88

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip1eX View Post
300 is alot. Who says you remember what folder a show is in when you have 300 episodes?

If you can remember the name maybe the simpler solution is to let you sort episode names alphabetically like you can do with the names of a show or movie.

On the whole though the main problem with the idea is probably user demand. What's the percentage hoarding 300 episodes of a show?
That is true that being able to sort by the name of the episode would be good. Unfortunately, Tivo cannot do that either.. It can only sort by the name of the Groups. If you go into a group, sorting reverts back to sorting by date only. The options of pressing 'A' or 'C' to change sorting disappears...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
The limitations of the Mini have made the obvious solution - move everything that can be moved to your computer where you can organize things as you like - less viable.
I don't have Tivo Desktop and I don't want to store things on my computer.. That is what the DVR is for..
Old 08-14-2014, 06:11 PM   #21
lpwcomp

Quote:
That is true that being able to sort by the name of the episode would be good. Unfortunately, Tivo cannot do that either.. It can only sort by the name of the Groups. If you go into a group, sorting reverts back to sorting by date only. The options of pressing 'A' or 'C' to change sorting disappears...

I don't have Tivo Desktop and I don't want to store things on my computer.. That is what the DVR is for..
That's why the word "let" was in his post, acknowledging that the capability doesn't currently exist, although it probably should have been phrased "would be to let" rather than "is to let".

Old 08-14-2014, 06:17 PM   #22
lpwcomp

Quote:
No DVR, including the TiVo, is designed for permanent storage of a video library.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:38 PM   #23
swong_88

Quote:
That's why the word "let" was in his post, acknowledging that the capability doesn't currently exist, although it probably should have been phrased "would be to let" rather than "is to let".
Understood.... Just trying to make enough noise where a Tivo Rep might read this thread and decide to put it into the next software release..
Old 08-15-2014, 08:06 AM   #24
jrtroo
User

Quote:
Understood.... Just trying to make enough noise where a Tivo Rep might read this thread and decide to put it into the next software release..
Good luck with that. Customized folders was an old request back when I formally joined this forum.

Don't get me wrong, I would have no issue with them. I just think that few folks would actually use them.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:28 AM   #25
lpwcomp

Quote:
Good luck with that. Customized folders was an old request back when I formally joined this forum.

Don't get me wrong, I would have no issue with them. I just think that few folks would actually use them.
That particular post was about sorting options, not custom "folders"*. From a technical standpoint, much easier to do. Whether it makes it more likely that it will be implemented is another matter.

* I put the term "folders" in quotes because they aren't really folders in the hierarchical file system sense, where a folder is usually just a graphical representation of a directory. They are logical groups, which is what they are called. They chose a somewhat misleading graphic, probably because it was familiar to most users.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:19 PM   #26
swong_88

Quote:
That particular post was about sorting options, not custom "folders"*. From a technical standpoint, much easier to do. Whether it makes it more likely that it will be implemented is another matter.

* I put the term "folders" in quotes because they aren't really folders in the hierarchical file system sense, where a folder is usually just a graphical representation of a directory. They are logical groups, which is what they are called. They chose a somewhat misleading graphic, probably because it was familiar to most users.
Those 'logical groups' are basically just glorified filters.. Being able to customize a filter is not that much harder then doing sorting. Still don't see what the difficulty is.. Their default logical groups are already doing some kind of filter to properly group TV shows into the group named after the TV Show. It should not be that difficult for them to allow to me to create another group and filter so that it pulls in all episodes from a Season. Or allow me to label another show that it groups the way I want... That Kids group they have right seems to group all Cartoons in there.. My kids also watch Too Cute on the Animal Planet which will not be grouped into the current Kids Group. I just don't understand why all of the resistant. When they created the Tivo Mini, they should have known that this kind of capability was going to be needed. Everyone in the family is now sharing a single Tivo Unit on most occasions. With the Roamio Plus and Pro being able to store 150 hours and 300 hours of HD material respectively, they have to allow the user to be able to do this. You can sense they are already moving in that directions since that summer update included these new Groups like Kids, Movies, Sports, TV Shows, etc... People are starting to complain. I don't want to have to sift through all of my kids shows to get to mine.. Allow the user the ability to filter and group the programs as we please...
Old 08-15-2014, 08:30 PM   #27
lpwcomp

Quote:
Those 'logical groups' are basically just glorified filters.. Being able to customize a filter is not that much harder then doing sorting. Still don't see what the difficulty is.. Their default logical groups are already doing some kind of filter to properly group TV shows into the group named after the TV Show. It should not be that difficult for them to allow to me to create another group and filter so that it pulls in all episodes from a Season. Or allow me to label another show that it groups the way I want... That Kids group they have right seems to group all Cartoons in there.. My kids also watch Too Cute on the Animal Planet which will not be grouped into the current Kids Group. I just don't understand why all of the resistant. When they created the Tivo Mini, they should have known that this kind of capability was going to be needed. Everyone in the family is now sharing a single Tivo Unit on most occasions. With the Roamio Plus and Pro being able to store 150 hours and 300 hours of HD material respectively, they have to allow the user to be able to do this. You can sense they are already moving in that directions since that summer update included these new Groups like Kids, Movies, Sports, TV Shows, etc... People are starting to complain. I don't want to have to sift through all of my kids shows to get to mine.. Allow the user the ability to filter and group the programs as we please...
What you are ignoring is that both groups and categories are based on data that is already associated with the recording.

What may be the easiest to implement, and indeed may be something they already have in the works, is user created categories that can be added to a recording and (hopefully) Season Passes. This is also the best way to reduce the clutter. since a recording can be associated with multiple groups and user created groups actually add to the clutter of the main NPL.

I suppose another way would be to implement sub-groups, with each level having its own "Group by" option".

Old 08-16-2014, 01:38 AM   #28
swong_88

Quote:
What you are ignoring is that both groups and categories are based on data that is already associated with the recording.

What may be the easiest to implement, and indeed may be something they already have in the works, is user created categories that can be added to a recording and (hopefully) Season Passes. This is also the best way to reduce the clutter. since a recording can be associated with multiple groups and user created groups actually add to the clutter of the main NPL.

I suppose another way would be to implement sub-groups, with each level having its own "Group by" option".
Exactly.. Just something.. User created categories or doing sub-groups would also be good as long as the user has some control. We just need something since the entire family is not recording on the same DVR and with all of the hours that can be recorded, many are going to start keeping recordings. I am now more inclined to keep the Soup Nazi episode of Seinfeld on my DVR since there is space..