TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-02-2014, 12:11 PM   #31
truman861

What we discussed was the CCI Byte. We didnt really discuss anything other than that as I had to get off the phone.
That being said, I had a BH service appointment scheduled for this past Monday between 10 and 12 for poor signal quality, no suprise that not only did 10-12 come and go but so did the whole day. I never heard anything whatsoever, no one came to the door, no one called, just nothing. So as a result, after asking my opinions about Verizon, I have them scheduled for April 17th from 10-12am. I will be getting more channels, faster internet and phone, will just be using my one roamio plus and my 3 minis and saving approx 20.00 a month based on what I'm paying now.
Best of all I dont have to pay the 250.00 hookup fee thanks to the idiot from Cablelink who cut out the verizon wires from the pole to the house as Verizon has to put in new wires for the fios. Lucked out on that.

Returned one of my 2 cable cards and TA today and am down to just 1 card and 1 TA and my modem which I will deal with for 2 more weeks.

Looking forward to the new changes I will have.
truman861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:16 PM   #32
truman861

and I understand the whole "We are doing the right thing by blocking copywriting with the cci byte" from Brighthouse, and I understand that the other providers are not "doing the right thing", but the way I look at it, If someone robbed a bank, dropped an open bag of money which started flying all around, Im not going to "Do the right thing" stand there and look, Im going to catch one of the twenties flying in the air.
Bottom line, I see it as follows. I pay (in my opinion way too much) for my TV service. I bought the show, or the movie or whatever else came over. If I want to save it and put it on my Ipad or Galaxy Note so that I can enjoy later what I bought, - then I should be able to do it.

Last edited by truman861 : 04-02-2014 at 12:17 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-03-2014, 06:50 AM   #33
steve614
what ru lookin at?

You're not buying the shows, you are buying access to those shows. Big difference.
How the provider lets you access those shows is up to them.
The only option is to find a provider that let's you access the shows how you want. Unfortunately, most folks don't have that option due to the virtual monopoly that the providers control.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:45 PM   #34
JosephB

BHN/TWC have been doing CCI for a very long time. It's been vaguely blamed on programming agreements, but TWC/BHN (which for programming agreements are one company) is the only MSO that flags their entire lineup in bulk everywhere. Maybe they are getting preferential pricing for doing it, I don't know. Seems like a minor thing to get any discount for since it's so trivial to record HD digital content if someone is intent on pirating it.

It's a legacy left over from when BHN and TWC really were one company, and I seriously suspect it's left over from when Time Warner owned TWC, since Time Warner owned such a wide swath of content. And, what better way to deflect commentary over TW blocking their content on their own system than by setting the CCI Byte on every channel. And what better way to deny it than to say it's because of confidential programming agreements.

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
JosephB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:57 PM   #35
truman861

I couldnt agree better Joseph, they dont take ownership - they just blame the other guy instead and inconvenience the ch. Its okay though, Counting down till April 17th. I know Verizon doesnt block programing like TWC and BHN
Old 04-10-2014, 03:44 PM   #36
Jono0055

BHNtechXpert, maybe you can help. I have a brand new Roamio with the cable card installed & the Cisco TA attached, both married to the TiVo box appropriately according to Brighthouse in the Tampa area, but still can not get all SDV channels to tune. The techs can not figure out why. When they first connected it, HBO ch 1403 only worked. After troubleshooting, now only HBO ch 1401 & 1402 but NOT 1403 work. And none of Cinemax works or any other regular SDV channels. We have been at this for a week now. All of the channels work on my HD box from Brighthouse just fine, so it is not a signal issue. Any suggestions on how to get what I pay for through Brighthouse? This is getting so frustrating since no one seems to know what is wrong or how to go about fixing the issue. Thank you for anything you can offer.
Jono0055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:21 PM   #37
truman861

I could tell you whats wrong but BHNtechXpert wouldnt like my answer lol.

-----------------------------------------------------

Roamio Plus (Master)
3 Tivo Mini's (living room and kids rooms)
3 x Premiers (retired)
Tivo series 3 HD (retired)
Tivo series 2 with PLS (retired)
MoCA
CC: Cisco PK802
TA: Cisco STA1520
T.W. Brighthouse Tampabay - Moving to Verizon Fios
Old 04-10-2014, 05:34 PM   #38
BHNtechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono0055 View Post
BHNtechXpert, maybe you can help. I have a brand new Roamio with the cable card installed & the Cisco TA attached, both married to the TiVo box appropriately according to Brighthouse in the Tampa area, but still can not get all SDV channels to tune. The techs can not figure out why. When they first connected it, HBO ch 1403 only worked. After troubleshooting, now only HBO ch 1401 & 1402 but NOT 1403 work. And none of Cinemax works or any other regular SDV channels. We have been at this for a week now. All of the channels work on my HD box from Brighthouse just fine, so it is not a signal issue. Any suggestions on how to get what I pay for through Brighthouse? This is getting so frustrating since no one seems to know what is wrong or how to go about fixing the issue. Thank you for anything you can offer.
Email me the following information to: BHNtechXpert@mybrighthouse.com

Cable Card ID
Cable Card MAC
Modem MAC (so I can pull acct info)
Host ID
Tuning Adapter STB MAC (directly from the sticker)
TSN (Tivo Service Number) as I may need to contact Tivo on your behalf.

Once I get this I'll be in touch.
BHNtechXpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:58 PM   #39
ahwman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHNtechXpert View Post
I haven't rebooted my Tivo or TA in months....darn near a year to be honest and the only reason that happened was we had a power glitch that locked things up good...wasn't sure if it was the Tivo or the TA so rebooted both.
I wish for the day when I don't have to power-cycle my TA every 3 days or so. I'm with BHN in SE Michigan and have been working with a BHN headend engineer and TiVo for months now, each blaming the other.

I've now replaced every single piece of equipment in the chain - TiVo, tuning adapter (Motorola - latest firmware), CableCard (Motorola - latest firmware) and all cabling. Signals checked from pole to the TiVo - all within spec. Every 3 days or so, all SDV channels will throw a V53 error message until I power-cycle the TA and the cycle repeats...

Very discouraging with no end in site...
ahwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:03 AM   #40
JosephB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahwman View Post
I wish for the day when I don't have to power-cycle my TA every 3 days or so. I'm with BHN in SE Michigan and have been working with a BHN headend engineer and TiVo for months now, each blaming the other.

I've now replaced every single piece of equipment in the chain - TiVo, tuning adapter (Motorola - latest firmware), CableCard (Motorola - latest firmware) and all cabling. Signals checked from pole to the TiVo - all within spec. Every 3 days or so, all SDV channels will throw a V53 error message until I power-cycle the TA and the cycle repeats...

Very discouraging with no end in site...
Unfortunately you are not the only person who has had that problem and BHN isn't the only cable company that it happens on. Some people have resorted to putting some kind of a timer on the TA so that it reboots nightly at a time that no recordings are likely taking place, like 2am. It sucks, but it works for some.

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
Old 04-14-2014, 09:09 AM   #41
ahwman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephB View Post
Unfortunately you are not the only person who has had that problem and BHN isn't the only cable company that it happens on. Some people have resorted to putting some kind of a timer on the TA so that it reboots nightly at a time that no recordings are likely taking place, like 2am. It sucks, but it works for some.
I've already tried this, however it creates a new problem. About 30-40% of the time the tuning adapter gets stuck in hunt mode after a power-cycle and never syncs (blinking yellow light). When this happens, it requires a second and sometimes even a third power-cycle. I'm just absolutely stunned that we as consumers have to out up with this - all the while still paying both TiVo as well as the cable companies...
ahwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:52 AM   #42
sbiller

A data point of one...

I'm on BHN in Tampa with my Cisco TA running PKEY1.5.3_F.p.1101 and my Roamio on 20.4.1. I haven't had a failed tune or a need to do anything with my TA for as long as I can remember.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:47 PM   #43
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

^^^ Correction to above

Cisco CableCARD Firmware
OS Ver: PKEY1.5.3_F.p.1101 is the latest Cisco CableCARD Firmware
OS Ver: PKEY1.5.3_F.p.0601 works fine for me also.

Cisco Tuning Adapter Firmware
FLASH: STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.1901 is the latest Cisco Tuning Adapter Firmware
FLASH: STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.1601 is what I am running and works OK since TiVo SW Vers: 20.3.8

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 04-14-2014 at 07:57 PM.
CoxInPHX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:31 AM   #44
moedaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
Verizon does not use SDV, so no TA's required. It is my understanding that the only channels they lock down from a CCI bit perspective are the premiums (e.g., HBO, etc. ).

Regarding BHN's use of the copy control flags, it is my understanding that the flags are negotiated separately by each MSO. It is possible that the transmission agreement that TWC/BHN have currently, does not permit copy freely flags on non-broadcast channels. The exact agreements are confidential.
So out of all the cablecos in the USA, only TWC/BHN have the flags embedded on every cable channel. I can't believe that networks have been negotiating this because if networks really wanted them, most, if not all cablecos would be this way. I seriously doubt that this is anything but TWC/BHN's way of screwing over people who use non-TWC/BHN dvr's.
moedaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:47 AM   #45
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by truman861 View Post
Seriously thinking about paying the fee to VZ and moving to them. Do they use TA's with their cards ? Anyone know ?
Verizon's a better home than Brighthouse for TiVo owners for sure. CCI flag is only set on HBO and there is no SDV tuning adapter mess.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:45 AM   #46
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
Verizon's a better home than Brighthouse for TiVo owners for sure. CCI flag is only set on HBO and there is no SDV tuning adapter mess.
Too bad FIOS isn't available in my area and I doubt it ever will at this point.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:51 AM   #47
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
Unfortunately, not an option for me in my current location either.

I've been lobbying our BHN representative to help get this issue resolved. I think I may give him a call to discuss some more. Perhaps a letter writing campaign to BHN management might help...

SDV at this point is a don't care because it seems to be 100% reliable for me with the latest Roamio update combined with the latest Cisco firmware. I have my Roamio and SDV TA tucked away in an AV closet so I don't really see (or hear) the extra equipment.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:29 AM   #48
truman861

Quote:

I've been lobbying our BHN representative to help get this issue resolved. I think I may give him a call to discuss some more. Perhaps a letter writing campaign to BHN management might help...

SDV at this point is a don't care because it seems to be 100% reliable for me with the latest Roamio update combined with the latest Cisco firmware. I have my Roamio and SDV TA tucked away in an AV closet so I don't really see (or hear) the extra equipment.
I realize it may have been trivial for me to have an issue with an extra peice of equipment sitting on my entertainment center but my whole thing was the fact they are taking channels not currently SDV and making them SDV further requiring the neccessity to have that device on top of my roamio.

FIOS is avail in most of tampa, hope your able to get it very soon Sam, looking forward to it myself tomorrow.

Truman861
Old 04-16-2014, 12:08 PM   #49
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
FIOS is avail in most of tampa, hope your able to get it very soon Sam
Unfortunately, Verizon stopped its FIOS rollout a while ago and has no plans to resume, so if you can't get it now, you most likely will never get it.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:57 AM   #50
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Verizon does not use SDV, so no TA's required. It is my understanding that the only channels they lock down from a CCI bit perspective are the premiums (e.g., HBO, etc. ).
HBO and Cinemax only -- i.e. not Showtime, Starz, etc.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:27 PM   #51
sbiller

SDV Letter Received Today for BHN

22 channels moving to SDV and 6 moving off. I watch quite a bit of 2 of the channels moving off of SDV.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/218859057/...-April-15-2014
Old 04-17-2014, 03:26 PM   #52
jwbelcher

Quote:
22 channels moving to SDV and 6 moving off. I watch quite a bit of 2 of the channels moving off of SDV.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/218859057/...-April-15-2014
Other than Science HD, the rest look like SD flavors. It only hurts when there is only a SD flavor (I notice a few that way). I get the bandwidth differences, but in general I'm in favor of the SD variants being move to SDV to allow more HD to move into that space.
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:25 PM   #53
JosephB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbelcher View Post
Other than Science HD, the rest look like SD flavors. It only hurts when there is only a SD flavor (I notice a few that way). I get the bandwidth differences, but in general I'm in favor of the SD variants being move to SDV to allow more HD to move into that space.
The trick is, though, that the small little DTAs that they use for the all digital transition aren't compatible with SDV, they're like a CableCard TV without a tuning adapter. So, for all the analog-only customers, the channels in those tiers have to be non-SDV, meaning the SD, low tier channels will always be broadcast instead of switched.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:09 PM   #54
jwbelcher

Quote:
The trick is, though, that the small little DTAs that they use for the all digital transition aren't compatible with SDV, they're like a CableCard TV without a tuning adapter. So, for all the analog-only customers, the channels in those tiers have to be non-SDV, meaning the SD, low tier channels will always be broadcast instead of switched.
Those little guys pump out HD channels just fine. They also push out 480i coax for those with old TVs. So how long does SD need simulcast?
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:50 PM   #55
truman861

Quote:

So here is an update, Had fios installed yesterday, (so nice not having the TA sitting on top anymore) and turns out I had a real tech savy installer, he's up to speed on DLNA and cvp4 IP etc (sorry if i butchered that),
What he advised is that yes, they are no longer extending the fios viewing area so if its not avail, then its not going to be made avail going forward for right now. Basically explained how their new ceo is from wireless and doesnt want to dump more money in the system which is no longer going to be the latest and greatest.
He did advise that Verizon is getting ready to come out with their new dvr that also does 6 channels and works off moca 2.0 but they are in process of developing a new IP based system which in turn will be avail to everyone once its avail. Did say its going to take a little while and may not be by the end of the year, probably sometime early next year but at least it is coming.

Of course he didnt have any info on VOD being made avail but I guess some info is better than none and was really nice having a tech who keeps up to speed with developments and knows about the technology verses just someone who screws something into the wall and plugs in the wires - thats always been my BHN experience except for BHNtechXpert above who I spoke with in person.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:44 PM   #56
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbelcher View Post
Those little guys pump out HD channels just fine. They also push out 480i coax for those with old TVs. So how long does SD need simulcast?
At least for expanded basic, a long time. But other stuff could eventually be moved to MPEG-4 or eliminated altogether in favor of just scaling the HD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHNtechXpert View Post
John,

We talked at length yesterday and I thought you understood your options here. The fact that you were able to move recordings previously had nothing to do with us. Your software was not adhering to industry standards and ignore the CCI bit (apparently). Nothing has changed on this end to cause your issues it is and has been the same configuration for quite some time.
BHN and TWC have their copy flags set incorrectly. Surprisingly for being widely hated, Comcast actually does their correctly, as does Verizon. Everything except HBO can be transferred over to the PC or another TiVo, and that's only because HBO strong-arms the providers into throwing the flags on their content (because you totally can't torrent it anyways LOL).

Quote:
and I understand the whole "We are doing the right thing by blocking copywriting with the cci byte" from Brighthouse
WRONG. Only HBO and possible other premium channels are supposed to be copy once. Putting copy once on regular cable channels is an incorrect implementation of the copy flag.

Of course the whole CCI flag system is idiotic, and probably costs a bunch of money to implement just for HBO and a couple of other channels, whose stuff is all over bittorrent anyways. Maybe once Comcast buys up TWC, they will lay down the law with the content providers, and just move everything to copy freely. It sure would be a heck of a lot easier and cheaper for them to not have to support a few oddball channels.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:29 AM   #57
sbiller

Bigg,

You may be completely correct about the CCI flags, but do you have information that substantiates your claim? To date, I've been unable to prove anything one way or the other. I do suspect that BHN is penalizing CableCARD users and doesn't want them to have a feature that isn't available to their leased-box users.

Thanks,
S
Old 04-19-2014, 04:19 PM   #58
JosephB

TWC and BHN purposefully have their CCI flags set the way they are. It is not "incorrect" from their point of view. I doubt it is to "penalize" cablecard subs or to restrict specific TiVo functionality (the CCI flags have been set that way long before Roamios or Streams existed, and they have Whole Home DVRs themselves).

It's very likely that it is a leftover legacy of TWC's former ownership by Time Warner, Inc. which owns a lot of content and would like to see DRM on everything. BHN's use of it is due to their legacy of being former TWC systems and the fact that TWC still oversees their engineering and programming contracts.

Old 04-19-2014, 04:45 PM   #59
Bigg

Quote:
Bigg,

You may be completely correct about the CCI flags, but do you have information that substantiates your claim? To date, I've been unable to prove anything one way or the other. I do suspect that BHN is penalizing CableCARD users and doesn't want them to have a feature that isn't available to their leased-box users.

Thanks,
S
Comcast, Verizon and others don't flag them. Hence, they don't need to be flagged. I don't know why TWC is flagging them. I think BHN flags them because they use TWC technology, and that probably came with the rest of the package.

Quote:
TWC and BHN purposefully have their CCI flags set the way they are. It is not "incorrect" from their point of view. I doubt it is to "penalize" cablecard subs or to restrict specific TiVo functionality (the CCI flags have been set that way long before Roamios or Streams existed, and they have Whole Home DVRs themselves).

It's very likely that it is a leftover legacy of TWC's former ownership by Time Warner, Inc. which owns a lot of content and would like to see DRM on everything. BHN's use of it is due to their legacy of being former TWC systems and the fact that TWC still oversees their engineering and programming contracts.
It's possible that some moronic executive who doesn't know what a megabyte is mandated it. However, it makes no logical sense, as other providers don't flag channels other than the premiums.

They are purposefully incorrectly flagging the channels. I agree that it's malfeasance, not nonfeasance.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:26 PM   #60
JosephB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
Comcast, Verizon and others don't flag them. Hence, they don't need to be flagged. I don't know why TWC is flagging them. I think BHN flags them because they use TWC technology, and that probably came with the rest of the package.

It's possible that some moronic executive who doesn't know what a megabyte is mandated it. However, it makes no logical sense, as other providers don't flag channels other than the premiums.

They are purposefully incorrectly flagging the channels. I agree that it's malfeasance, not nonfeasance.
"Incorrectly" assumes that there is a right or wrong answer to the question. The BHN rep regularly cites programming agreements. As much complaining that has happened if it was someone not knowing what they were talking about they would have fixed it by now. They know what they're doing, and they did it on purpose. If it was someone being moronic and not understanding, it would be hit or miss across their systems.