TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-18-2014, 11:44 PM   #1
Samurai93

no signal on new tv, still working older tv

We just upgraded our tv to a Samsung and we only get menus on our series 3 and a lost signal on live tv. I can take the hdmi cable and plug it into the old tv can see.the live tv signal just fine. I am sure this.must be an issue with tivo and some kind of handshake. Any ideas and how to fix it. I got a live signal for about 8 hours and then lost it.

Dan
Samurai93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:52 AM   #2
worachj

Series 3 ... try changing the video format the TiVo is using by pressing the format button on the front panel and cycle through the different video formats. Maybe the TiVo is using a video format your TV can't handle.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:11 AM   #3
Samurai93

Tried all the formats on the tivo, no good. It worked for a bit. And then stopped again. Tried rebooting the tivo/in every combination. Thinking it. would be a help issue.

This is a brand new samsung 4k tv. Would assume it should handle anything the tivo can throw at it. All tivo menus are visible and play sounds.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:38 AM   #4
squint

If it doesn't work at all then it could be some kind of incompatibility but if it works intermittently then your HDMI port (on the Tivo) might be failing. They weren't properly strain relieved and soldered with brittle non-lead solder so the connection to the motherboard often fails.

There are a couple old threads about failing Tivo HD HDMI ports.
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 12:57 PM   #5
Davelnlr_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai93 View Post
This is a brand new samsung 4k tv. Would assume it should handle anything the tivo can throw at it. All tivo menus are visible and play sounds.
Tivo menus are always visible? Sound works? Doesnt sound like its the TV. When your Tivo menus are visible, do you have live TV in the PIP? Sounds to me like you have a bad connection to your cable/antenna to the Tivo.
Davelnlr_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 02:57 PM   #6
Samurai93

The tivo works except for live tv. I can prerecorded shows just fine. Sounds for menus work, but no sound for video for live tv. I can unplug l ugh.and plug into an old tv and live tv works fine on it.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:03 PM   #7
windracer
joined the 10k club

This really sounds like an output format/resolution issue. Have you tried going into the settings and using a fixed format to see if that has any effect? Are there any settings on the TV itself that might be affecting the HDMI signal or port?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 11:27 PM   #8
Samurai93

Ok so the it side of me came out and I think I have narrowed down the issue to a drum copy protection handshake between the tivo and the tv. I put in component cables and disconnect the hdmi, same.issue. Hooked the brim to the old tv while the components were still on the new tv, and the live tv started right up. Pulled the.plug on the old.tv and.the.live signal on the new tv stopped. So I think I now know the issues is a handshake signal between the tivo and the tv. Media extenders, wii u, and blue ray player all play fine on all brim ports of the new tv... so the tivo is the one with the issue.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:53 AM   #9
dlfl
Cranky old novice

OK, I'll bite: What's a 'brim' ? Wikipedia doesn't even know. Seems like it's a stand-in for HDMI in your post.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:00 PM   #10
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

i read in another thread (can't find the entry) that when you switch the hdmi cable from one tv to the next, in order for there to be a good handshake, you should disconnect both ends of the hdmi cable (from both the tivo and tv), then reconnect. have you tried this?

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 01:15 PM   #11
Samurai93

Yep, tried that. Disconnected and rebooted everything as well. "Brim" would be hdmi and the auto correct. Sorry usually try to check that.