TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-17-2014, 07:48 AM   #1
sbiller

TiVo “Program Shortcuts” Patent Details Social DVR

Perhaps we will have the ability to add On Demand, OTT, etc. to our My Shows queue in the near future? Personally, I'm not really too interested in the social sharing aspects associated with my TV viewing...

Read more: http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2014-04/...ls-social-dvr/
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:34 AM   #2
tomhorsley

The only social media app I'd find useful is a way for other TiVo owners watching the same broadcast channels to tell everyone that the ball game went overtime and everyone's TiVo needs to add 15 minutes. That could be very useful for the folks watching live to be able to help out the poor fools who think they are recording something only to discover later that they really aren't.

Then there is also the possibility for folks to share the timestamps measured from the beginning of the recording for the commercials they skipped over :-).
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:50 AM   #3
DancnDude
Thrice as nice

Lets hope that the Netflix app can add Shortcuts to mirror your Queue. I'd love it if shows I wanted to watch on Netflix just showed up in My Shows and I could easily watch it without first needing to launch a Netflix app.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:12 AM   #4
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancnDude View Post
Lets hope that the Netflix app can add Shortcuts to mirror your Queue. I'd love it if shows I wanted to watch on Netflix just showed up in My Shows and I could easily watch it without first needing to launch a Netflix app.
Completely agree. Its a use-case I've wanted for a long time.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:10 PM   #5
innocentfreak

Then they just need to take it a step further and have Netflix download those shows in the background so you always have a couple episodes to watch at full HD without having to stream.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:12 PM   #6
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Then they just need to take it a step further and have Netflix download those shows in the background so you always have a couple episodes to watch at full HD without having to stream.
Very unlikely... their content rights agreements probably don't allow off-line viewing/downloading.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:13 PM   #7
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
Very unlikely... their content rights agreements probably don't allow off-line viewing/downloading.
Well then maybe the Amazon app since they can do it on the Fire assuming we ever get the Amazon app.

I gave up on Netflix streaming since on FiOS it was usually SD.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:14 PM   #8
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Does the patent say how it should be half-implemented, late, and eventually abandoned before completion? TiVo should patent that process.

dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:37 PM   #9
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
Does the patent say how it should be half-implemented, late, and eventually abandoned before completion? TiVo should patent that process.
Considering the original patent was in 2009 I'm guessing that TiVo has had plenty of time to get this half right!
Old 04-17-2014, 04:42 PM   #10
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Well then maybe the Amazon app since they can do it on the Fire assuming we ever get the Amazon app.

I gave up on Netflix streaming since on FiOS it was usually SD.
Netflix's original content is far superior to anything I've seen, to date, from Amazon. I'm sure that equation may shift over time but for now, Netflix is the primary OTT service for me and my family. On BHN, Netflix streaming in Super HD is excellent.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:59 PM   #11
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
LMAO! Although I think Ceton Corp already owns that patent!
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:23 PM   #12
SullyND
W:29-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
Netflix's original content is far superior to anything I've seen, to date, from Amazon. I'm sure that equation may shift over time but for now, Netflix is the primary OTT service for me and my family. On BHN, Netflix streaming in Super HD is excellent.
I thought Alpha House was very good.
SullyND is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:16 AM   #13
NotNowChief
Addicted to TiVo

Oh, good.

Another feature to add to the incomplete TiVo projects list.
TiVo HDXL
TiVo HD
Retired: TiVo Series 2 ST, Philips Series 1 HDR212
NotNowChief is offline   Reply With Quote