TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-17-2014, 01:52 AM   #31
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_vadout View Post
There was a thread where a poster posted the capacitors. I just copied and pasted the info from there to eBay. I did the same for Digikey and that's how I got the capacitors. Here's what I ordered:

2200uF 6.3V 105C Electrolytic Capacitor---I ordered 3
3300uF 10V 105C Electrolytic Capacitor----I ordered 5
2200uF 25V 105C Electrolytic Capacitor----I ordered 5
470uF 16V 105C Electrolytic Capacitor----I ordered 5
1000uF 6.3V 105C Electrolytic Capacitor---I ordered 5

Please tell me these are right...pretty pretty please!

My brother-in-law does have the solder iron with the rosin core thingie.....My electrical terminology is amazing isn't it?

I do need a pic that will tell me which capacitors to replace. I don't remember seeing one. I know there's other pics on the net but none says 'here's the capacitors you need to replace'. That would be awesome.
Okay, to save me taking my S3 apart, here's HerronScott's list

C401 2200uF 6.3V Panasonic EEU-FR0J222 Digikey P14365-ND $0.81 (Alternate: P15308CT-ND?)
C402 2200uF 6.3V Panasonic EEU-FR0J222 Digikey P14365-ND $0.81 (Alternate: P15308CT-ND?)

C601 2200uF 16V Panasonic EEU-FR1C222 Digikey P14402-ND $1.01
C701 2200uF 25V Panasonic EEU-FR1E222L Digikey P14428-ND $1.43
C501 3300uF 10V Panasonic EEU-FR1A332 Digikey P14383-ND $1.01
C502 3300uF 10V Panasonic EEU-FR1A332 Digikey P14383-ND $1.01
C503 3300uF 10V Panasonic EEU-FR1A332 Digikey P14383-ND $1.01

C50? 3300uF 10V Panasonic EEU-FR1A332 Digikey P14383-ND $1.01
C603 470uF 16V Panasonic EEU-FR1C471 Digikey P14394-ND $0.49 (Alternate: P15342CT-ND?)
C702 470uF 16V Panasonic EEU-FR1C471 Digikey P14394-ND $0.49 (Alternate: P15342CT-ND?)
C403 1000uF 6.3V Panasonic EEU-FM0J102 Digikey P12340-ND $0.51

Which works out to

2 2200uF at 6.3V, leaving you with one spare

1 2200uF at 16V and 1 2200uF at 25V, you can get away with using a 25V 2200uF for the 16V one (you can go up in voltage a little bit, but never down), so that leaves you 3 spares.

4 3300uF at 10V, so that leaves you one spare

2 470uF at 16V, so you've got 3 spare

and 1 1000uF at 6.3V, so you've got 4 spares on that

so I'd say you're covered.

Since the ones you're getting are rated for 105 degrees, they're probably low ESR. Almost any application that needs caps that can handle more than the usual 85 degree rating of general purpose replacement caps is going to need them to be low ESR, so making them low ESR is probably how they achieve the high temp rating.

Maybe someone will make you an offer on your leftovers.

If you've managed to get the cover off of the TiVo already to eyeball the power supply caps and spot the bulging ones, I don't need to explain how snugly it fits and how you might have to use a small pry bar on the back, and also you know which is your #10 Torx bit, cause that's the one you used on the screws that hold the cover.

Put those screws in a little aspirin bottle or similar to keep them corralled.

Use that same Torx bit on the 6 or 8 screws that hold the power supply circuit board down to the chassis, put them in a different bottle, and then use a slightly smaller #8 or #9 Torx bit to take out the small, dark screw that goes in from the outside just above where the power cord plugs in and put it in the same bottle.

There are a bunch of different color wires that come off of the power supply, most of which go to a plug that plugs onto the motherboard. There's a lever thing on the side of the plug--squeeze that so that it unlatches from the socket, and then rock it just a little side to side and work the plug out of the socket.

The rest of the wires, 2 black, one red, one yellow, go over to the hard drive where they become part of a plug that also has the SATA data cable coming out of it. Disconnect the other end of that data cable from where it plugs onto the motherboard--there might be a latch thing you have to squeeze--then work that combo plug off of the back of the hard drive.

At that point you should be able to remove the power supply board.

HerronScott's list includes the numbers silkscreened onto the power supply board next to where the caps mount so that once you unsolder and remove a cap you'll be able to see the number if you couldn't already.

The white stuff that looks like marshmallow creme stuck to the side of some of the caps is just a kind of glue to hold them in place at the factory while they're getting soldered, and is no longer needed--you can bust it off with pliers or diagonal cutters.

Where the caps mount there's a circle silkscreened on the board and half of that circle is has hatch lines. That's the side with the hole where the negative lead of the new capacitor goes.

I don't know if the caps you get will have a row of + marks down one side to indicate the positive lead, or if it'll have a stripe with a bunch of - marks to indicate the negative lead, but an electrolytic capacitor with two leads has one positive lead and one negative lead and you have to be sure to connect the right one in the right place.

Replace them one at a time, make sketches of location and notes of which ones you've done.

That one where HerronScott wasn't sure about the C number on the board, you'll figure it out by process of elimination.

Once you get a new cap soldered in, you'll need to clip off the extra lead length sticking up (or down when it turned right side up) so they don't short against anything.

If your BIL has a soldering iron, he's probably got wire strippers that'll do it, or wire cutters or something.

And there's a white ribbon cable that comes from the front panel display and plugs into a socket near the front of the motherboard.

Take care not to bump into it and dislodge it even slightly from the socket, and be sure it's seated fully and squarely into that socket.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 05:38 AM   #32
D_vadout

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon96cobra View Post
Got some pictures of the power board from my Series 3. Looks like its needs a replacement power card or Capacitor.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qwiexaaxsz...2018.22.28.jpg

Yeah, thanks, Jon but that doesn't help. I'm so sorry. If I need to replace all of the capacitors except the big one then I need to see all of them. I've been trying to find good pics but I can't.
This is a delicate situation for me. I've NEVER tried to repair anything inside of an electrical unit before so I need to be hand held on this one. It's already tanked but I don't want to make it worse than what it already is.
To make it easier for myself I'll just replace the three caps that's bulging and see how it goes from there.
D_vadout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:10 AM   #33
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I found a picture of the 648 power supply...but it was small. Blowing it up only allows you to see the relative locations of the caps. It may be helpful in that you can point to which of your caps are bulging.
There may be a capacitor or two hiding under that black heat sink on the right.

Ideally, you need to replace ALL the capacitors on the output section of the power supply (circled in yellow), because there is no way to tell if the bad caps affected any of the good caps. It's possible that the good capacitors on the supply may have been weakened by having to take up the slack from the failing capacitors.

If you only replace two or three, you are taking the chance that you will have to repeat the process sooner, rather than later.
It won't take that much more time to go ahead and replace all of them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tivo Power Supply - 648250.jpg (71.8 KB, 96 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!

Last edited by steve614 : 04-17-2014 at 07:29 AM.
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:23 AM   #34
D_vadout

I have three bulging capacitors C701 C401 and the one next to it which is bulging with a leak. I believe that's under that black thing you called a heat sink?

I'm waiting for my caps to arrive. I have my work cut out for me yet.

Unitron gave me instructions on how to get the power supply loose. I'm reading this over and over and when I get off of work I will be reading and looking over what I need to do that way when my brother-in-law comes we'll be ready. Or at least he'll be ready b/c I'm gonna be crouching in a corner somewhere.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:44 AM   #35
teasip

Sorry to jump in but I was curious if there is a parts list for the 652 capacitors or do they use the same ones? I have two with lifetime and mine is running fine at present and I'm not aware of my daughter having issues with hers. I thought there was going to be a sticky, or was a sticky with the parts list?
Old 04-17-2014, 09:38 AM   #36
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by teasip View Post
Sorry to jump in but I was curious if there is a parts list for the 652 capacitors or do they use the same ones? I have two with lifetime and mine is running fine at present and I'm not aware of my daughter having issues with hers. I thought there was going to be a sticky, or was a sticky with the parts list?
Here ya go:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...73#post9964473
Note there are two possible PSU's for this and you need to determine which one you have.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:46 AM   #37
teasip

I appreciate the link. Thank you very much. I now have it filed away.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:40 PM   #38
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

I still have two working & retired TCD652160 TiVo HDs, with already professionally-rebuilt (re-capped), and fully-tested, power supplies.

Without lifetime service, they aren't worth anything but for parts.

I don't like being an @zzhat, posting them as for sale. But, I sometimes do in the power supply threads. They are both already in the buyer/seller threads.

It's much cheaper to ship just the power supply, than the whole thing, and I'm open to offers. Shoot me a PM, if interested.

Sometimes people are better-off going this route. Especially if they've never done such repairs, or never operated a soldering iron.

Otherwise, I wish you the best of luck (to anybody). It's easy-peasy, if you do this sort of work as a living, or have done it as an enthusiast.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:54 PM   #39
D_vadout

Yeah with me having Time Warner Cable and having to get cable cards just to get the digital & HD channels to come out I realized getting a Tivo wasn't such a good idea.
I had put in a 'make the best offer' on eBay and wouldn't have thought the seller was going to accept my offer. I wasn't too pleased about it so now that I have this thing I might as well use it but I haven't been able to use it since January. I won it a few months prior but never really got into it b/c it does everything my cable box does.
As mentioned before I want to see if I can repair this thing. If I can and it doesn't blow up then I'll consider myself the queen of the world! Or at least a good DIY-er.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:36 PM   #40
unitron

You aren't a real DIY-er until you've accidentally burned yourself a time or two with a hot soldering iron and hit your thumb at least once with a hammer in addition to whatever minor cuts and scrapes and bruises you acquire along the way.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:47 AM   #41
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Yeah with me having Time Warner Cable and having to get cable cards just to get the digital & HD channels to come out I realized getting a Tivo wasn't such a good idea.
Getting a Tivo would be a much better idea if you weren't on Time Warner.

You still haven't given us your location but most TWC systems use SDV which means you also have to use a Tuning Adapter, or you'll be missing up to half your channels. TA's are furnished free by TWC but they cost a lot in aggravation. And you can't count on TWC to know you need a TA or to give you much help with it.

CableCARD is needed for all cable providers.

and
Old 04-18-2014, 09:08 AM   #42
D_vadout

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Getting a Tivo would be a much better idea if you weren't on Time Warner.

You still haven't given us your location but most TWC systems use SDV which means you also have to use a Tuning Adapter, or you'll be missing up to half your channels. TA's are furnished free by TWC but they cost a lot in aggravation. And you can't count on TWC to know you need a TA or to give you much help with it.

CableCARD is needed for all cable providers.
The Tivo that I have gets both analogue and digital cable. Since I have Time Warner Cable-been with them since '99-I've been pretty satisfied with them. I know I'm weird for saying that but it's true.

I did have to get those things and nope had no clue how to set it up. Like I said I back away from electrical stuff.
That's why I say getting that Tivo was a bad idea. It's more of a hassle to get all of the channels I have to work with this thing. I'm still trying to figure out what was I thinking when I wanted to get this. I fell for that 'cable box' replacement b/c it doesn't replace the cable box.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:16 PM   #43
unitron

Quote:
The Tivo that I have gets both analogue and digital cable. Since I have Time Warner Cable-been with them since '99-I've been pretty satisfied with them. I know I'm weird for saying that but it's true.

I did have to get those things and nope had no clue how to set it up. Like I said I back away from electrical stuff.
That's why I say getting that Tivo was a bad idea. It's more of a hassle to get all of the channels I have to work with this thing. I'm still trying to figure out what was I thinking when I wanted to get this. I fell for that 'cable box' replacement b/c it doesn't replace the cable box.
With the use of cable cards, a TiVo newer than a Series 2 does replace your cable box for digital cable.

(If you still have analog cable, any (non-DirectTV satellite receiver TiVo) TiVo-except maybe the new Series 5s--can tune that just fine, even without a cable card)

TWC does not want you to own a TiVo, they want you to have no choice but to rent cable boxes and DVRs from them, which is to say after you pay them for the cable signal (since they're the only cable company available at your address), they want you to pay even more to be able to actually view the cable signal.

(To me that's reason enough to own a TiVo right there.)

Cable cards are what keep you from being completely at their mercy.

A few years back there were TVs made that could use cable cards so that you could use the TV's remote to change digital channels on the TV's tuner instead of having to feed it from a cable box and juggle remotes.

Digital cable channels do not have to be encrypted or encoded or otherwise be made unavailable unless you do something more than just connecting to the cable itself, but the cable company wants it that way so that they can effectively "disconnect" you while sitting at a computer back in an office somewhere instead of having to send a tech in a truck out to your house to physically remove the cable line. It also lets them leave the cable hooked up when you move out and only "turn it on" for the next person living there if they actually sign up for service.

Cable cards make it possible to have a system like that while still letting you use your choice of equipment instead of having to settle for renting theirs.

Unfortunately, when the original Series 3, which is the model you have, design was finalized and they started making them and offering them for sale to the public the S cards, which only serve a single tuner, were the norm, and the design and specs of the M cards (designed to serve multiple tuners) were not fully finalized.

As a result, the first S3 can use either an S card in each cable card slot, one for each tuner, or it can use an M card in place of either or both, but even if it's an M card, it can only serve one tuner, so for that model you need 2 of some kind of cable card to be able to use both tuners on digital cable channels.

That's not really TiVo's fault.

(The later Series 3 platform models, the ones without the clock/now recording display, the Chevy Impalas to the original's Cadillac Coupe De Ville, can get by with only one M card for both tuners, as can the S4s and S5s)

Old 04-18-2014, 10:31 PM   #44
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Digital cable channels do not have to be encrypted or encoded or otherwise be made unavailable unless you do something more than just connecting to the cable itself, but the cable company wants it that way so that they can effectively "disconnect" you while sitting at a computer back in an office somewhere instead of having to send a tech in a truck out to your house to physically remove the cable line.
And how idiotic that TWC (at least my TWC) is notorious for sending a truck out, sometimes with a delay of almost a week, in response to problems that can be fixed by the person sitting at the computer back at the office, e.g., they just need to properly provision your account and send the right signals to your equipment. This situation has been eased somewhat by the availability of the TWC national CableCARD help desk, where they actually know a little bit about TiVo's and can send the required signals directly. This is also who you need to talk to to self-install your CableCARD. Their number is:
866-532-2598
Rikki don't lose that number! (Steely Dan, 1974)

and
Old 04-19-2014, 08:26 AM   #45
D_vadout

Yeah, my Tivo was getting channels with no problems. It actually picked up more analogue channels than I thought. I went and got the converter and cards and they were able to send the signal to my Tivo w/o any problems. I like this model b/c it has a clock on it. I'm not a fan of DVR's, VCR's, or anything like the Tivos that don't have a clock to it.

I'm STILL waiting on my capacitors. I should've went to Radio Shack first. I guess I fell for that seller who stated that they do fast shipping when in fact I don't see anything that suggests they shipped it yet....grrr.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:42 AM   #46
squint

Radio Shack doesn't carry low ESR capacitors and if they did they certainly wouldn't be reasonably priced.

The eBay seller might have sent them by 1st class mail and/or with only delivery confirmation. Those shipments don't really have any tracking data and appear like they haven't been shipped and then they just show up...usually.

Edit: I hope you didn't order them from overseas sellers.

Last edited by squint : 04-19-2014 at 09:57 AM.
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 03:23 PM   #47
D_vadout

Quote:
Originally Posted by squint View Post
Radio Shack doesn't carry low ESR capacitors and if they did they certainly wouldn't be reasonably priced.

The eBay seller might have sent them by 1st class mail and/or with only delivery confirmation. Those shipments don't really have any tracking data and appear like they haven't been shipped and then they just show up...usually.

Edit: I hope you didn't order them from overseas sellers.
Glad you told me that. I would've walked in there talking like I know some stuff and they would be looking at me like .

I most definitely didn't order those caps from over seas. They had good prices on them but I was like 'no'!

My caps have arrived. I can't do anything like I want b/c my mother-in-law's birthday is today and we're going to celebrate with her.
Hopefully my brother-in-law will be able to attack this thing tomorrow. Now I'm like a little kid, anxiously awaiting for something great to happen.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:13 PM   #48
DougJohnson

Quote:
Hopefully my brother-in-law will be able to attack this thing tomorrow. Now I'm like a little kid, anxiously awaiting for something great to happen.
Good luck and let us know how it goes. It is a great feeling when you get something working and an awful one when you don't. -- Doug
DougJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:52 PM   #49
unitron

Quote:
Glad you told me that. I would've walked in there talking like I know some stuff and they would be looking at me like .

I most definitely didn't order those caps from over seas. They had good prices on them but I was like 'no'!

My caps have arrived. I can't do anything like I want b/c my mother-in-law's birthday is today and we're going to celebrate with her.
Nowadays the people working at Radio Shack aren't likely to know anything about electronics, either.

In fact, now that you know that there are general purpose electrolytic caps and specialized versions like the low ESR ones, you probably know more than many of them.

(they can probably still whip you big-time in a cell phone contract form filling out contest, though )

Old 04-20-2014, 09:47 AM   #50
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
.......... I went and got the converter and cards and they were able to send the signal to my Tivo w/o any problems.........
By "converter" you mean the Tuning Adapter, I assume.
The real test is if you can reliably tune all the channels you're supposed to get (after fixing the power supply). If not, call the TWC national help desk.

and
Old 04-20-2014, 11:20 AM   #51
D_vadout

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
By "converter" you mean the Tuning Adapter, I assume.
The real test is if you can reliably tune all the channels you're supposed to get (after fixing the power supply). If not, call the TWC national help desk.
See, I told ya I'm not savvy in the electronic field. I can't even tell the difference between a tuning adapter & a converter...sheesh.

Well I'm waiting to see if my brother-in-law can assist with my Tivo today. I don't want to pressure the guy but by golly I'm impatient.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:32 AM   #52
squint

If there was a reality TV show about people fixing their Tivos, I'd probably watch it...
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 11:49 AM   #53
D_vadout

LOL, the show would be over quick from all the blow ups and injuries.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:49 AM   #54
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by squint View Post
If there was a reality TV show about people fixing their Tivos, I'd probably watch it...
If there was a reality show that actually was about reality I might watch it.
I find it hard to believe that reality occurs unaltered by the presence of a TV production crew.

and
Old 04-20-2014, 11:52 AM   #55
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
See, I told ya I'm not savvy in the electronic field. I can't even tell the difference between a tuning adapter & a converter...sheesh.

Well I'm waiting to see if my brother-in-law can assist with my Tivo today. I don't want to pressure the guy but by golly I'm impatient.
It's easy ... the converter (or whatever) has a brand name and model number that would allow many posters here to identify what it is.

and
Old 04-25-2014, 05:58 PM   #56
Intravino
I love OTA

I just had some freezee with my TiVo that has been ON since 2008. I checked the PS like the good info the other threads. Three caps tested bad on the LCR meter.

I changed all of the capacitors noted on the other thread.

Works 100 % now.

Thanks for the members that posted info on those thread.

Intravino
Intravino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:04 PM   #57
D_vadout

Yeah...mine's haven't been fixed yet. When I told my brother-in-law how many caps that should be replaced he looked defeated. I'll be lucky if I could get the three that needs to be replaced replaced. So as I sit and wipe the dust off my Tivo daily I may never know if it will be repaired or not. : (
Old 04-25-2014, 09:23 PM   #58
unitron

Quote:
Yeah...mine's haven't been fixed yet. When I told my brother-in-law how many caps that should be replaced he looked defeated. I'll be lucky if I could get the three that needs to be replaced replaced. So as I sit and wipe the dust off my Tivo daily I may never know if it will be repaired or not. : (
Just tell the lazy bum to lend you his soldering equipment and do it yourself.

It's about the easiest and simplest soldering job anyone will ever come across.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:51 PM   #59
D_vadout

OK...since joining this thread I have been patiently waiting for my brother-in-law to help repair some capacitors in my Tivo. I've tried not to mention or pressure him but each time I say the word 'tivo' he skips to a different subject which led me to believe he's not going to fix it. Soooo, I've taken it upon myself to purchase a soldering iron with a base and a solder vacuum sucker. I've been watching several videos on how to use a soldering iron and how to replace a bad capacitor but they all dealt with TV repair. It looks fairly simple which I'm confident that I will be able to fix this. I have my victory dance and theme music waiting.
Had I known my brother-in-law wasn't in the mood to help me I would've tried to fix this a long time ago.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:16 AM   #60
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Good luck in your effort.

May I recommend that you go to Radio Shack (or Fry's, etc.) and look for some cheap DIY project that you can practice soldering before you actually start working on the Tivo power supply.
You may wish you had, if you don't.

Quote:
I have my victory dance and theme music waiting.
Also, you'll have bragging rights you can hang over your BIL's head.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote