TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-06-2014, 07:20 PM   #1
tomhorsley

TiVo android app on KitKat?

Anyone else running the TiVo app on an android device with KitKat? I'm hoping to find out if I'm crazy :-).

Every time I tell the TiVo app to exit on both my Nexus 5 phone and my Nexus 7 tablet, some other app pops up as though it is triggered by the TiVo app exiting. (It always seems to be the chrome browser on the Nexus 7, on the Nexus 5 phone it appears to be a randomly selected app).

This didn't happen on my old phone, but now that I have the new Nexus 5 running KitKat, I see this same weird behavior I previously only saw on the tablet.

The thing they have in common is running android 4.4.2 KitKat, so it makes me wonder.
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:31 AM   #2
AdamNJ

is it just going to the last used app (before you went into the tivo one)?

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:14 AM   #3
tomhorsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamNJ View Post
is it just going to the last used app (before you went into the tivo one)?
Nope. On my Nexus 7 tablet it always launches the chrome browser.

On my Nexus 5 phone, it appears to pick some completely random app and launch it.

One of these days I suppose I ought to monitor all the events in adb and see exactly what happens.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:38 PM   #4
JSY

I just tested that POS app on my Samsung GS4 with KitKat 4.4.2 and I did not get the same results as you but I ended up getting another "minor" issue. When I exit the app, it temporarily replaces my wallpaper with a screen shot of the TiVo app. When I turn the screen off and come back, it reverts back to normal.

I have a Nexus 7 with the same OS at home and perhaps I'll give it a try when I get home tonight.

I doesn't surprise me if the app is causing some unpredictable behavior!
JSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:35 PM   #5
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post
Anyone else running the TiVo app on an android device with KitKat? I'm hoping to find out if I'm crazy :-).

Every time I tell the TiVo app to exit on both my Nexus 5 phone and my Nexus 7 tablet, some other app pops up as though it is triggered by the TiVo app exiting. (It always seems to be the chrome browser on the Nexus 7, on the Nexus 5 phone it appears to be a randomly selected app).

This didn't happen on my old phone, but now that I have the new Nexus 5 running KitKat, I see this same weird behavior I previously only saw on the tablet.

The thing they have in common is running android 4.4.2 KitKat, so it makes me wonder.
I am having the same issue on my Nexus 10. When I exit the Tivo app, it opens another app. Most of the time it's Uno.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:16 PM   #6
tomhorsley

Well, I got some logcat output from going through the sequence that makes it crazy, and on the Nexus 5 phone, I now see it pop up both chrome and the phone app when I exit the TiVo app :-). Immediately on exit from TiVo, I see the phone, then when I exit that, I see chrome, but I don't see any obvious to a rank amateur android programmer reason for the apps to pop up. I do, however, see some pretty good circumstantial evidence that the TiVo app is written by bad programmers. I get lots of these in the logcat:

W/ContextImpl(25449): Implicit intents with startService are not safe...

Looking that up on google leads me to believe that other apps can conflict with the intent and possibly respond when they shouldn't, so maybe that is what is going on.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:40 PM   #7
JSY

I tested it on my Nexus 7 (2013 ver).. and using the TiVo phone app - I get the same results as you. When I exit the app, it brings up my Chrome browser.

I also decided to try it using the TiVo app for Tablets and it did NOT bring up Chrome.

Using these apps are just a lesson in futility. Using the TiVo phone app, it tells me that it's not optimized for my screen using the Nexus 7 or my GS4. I try using the Tivo app for Tablets on the Nexus 7 and it tells me that it was not designed for my device.

So annoying. If there was a way I could schedule TiVo recordings on the road without these apps, I would get rid of them immediately. Even doing that is such a poor experience. For example, why the hell do the apps scan for boxes on the network when I am not even connected to any wifi?! Sorry, didn't mean to turn this into a gripe session.
JSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:52 PM   #8
todd_j_derr

TC CLUB MEMBER
This only happens if you click "Back" and pick "Exit", correct? I had never seen it before, but I normally just use "Home". I do see it (on my Droid Maxx) if I use the first method though.
todd_j_derr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:08 AM   #9
tomhorsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd_j_derr View Post
This only happens if you click "Back" and pick "Exit", correct? I had never seen it before, but I normally just use "Home". I do see it (on my Droid Maxx) if I use the first method though.
Yep, I always explicitly exit to try and keep the app from draining my battery by constantly refreshing all the program info I'm no longer looking at :-).
Old 04-17-2014, 10:04 AM   #10
gweempose

I just tested it on a Samsung Galaxy S5, and I can't get it to reproduce the bug.
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote